Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOWIE WOW WOW! 25x faster than today's cable modems!!!  (Read 1815 times)

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
WOWIE WOW WOW! 25x faster than today's cable modems!!!
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:50:35 pm »
SIGN ME UP!!!

~~~

Comcast Shows Off Super Quick Modem       
Wednesday, 09 May 2007 

Comcast Corp. Chief Executive Brian Roberts dazzled a cable industry audience Tuesday, showing off for the first time in public new technology that enabled a data download speed of 150 megabits per second, or roughly 25 times faster than today's standard cable modems.

The cost of modems that would support the technology, called "channel bonding," is "not that dissimilar to modems today," he told The Associated Press after a demonstration at The Cable Show. It could be available "within less than a couple years," he said.

The new cable technology is crucial because the industry is competing with a speedy new offering called FiOS, a TV and Internet service that Verizon Communications Inc. is selling over a new fiber-optic network. The top speed currently available through FiOS is 50 megabits per second, but the network is already capable of providing 100 Mbps and the fiber lines offer nearly unlimited potential.

The technology, called DOCSIS 3.0, was developed by the cable industry's research arm, Cable Television Laboratories. Instead of using one TV channel to transmit data, it uses four.

The laboratory said last month it expected manufacturers to begin submitting modems for certification under the standard by the end of the year.

In the presentation, ARRIS Group Inc. chief executive Robert Stanzione downloaded a 30-second, 300-megabyte television commercial in a few seconds and watched it long before a standard modem worked through an estimated download time of 16 minutes.

Stanzione also downloaded the 32-volume Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007 and Merriam-Webster's visual dictionary in under four minutes, when it would have taken a standard modem three hours and 12 minutes.

"If you look at what just happened, 55 million words, 100,000 articles, more than 22,000 pictures, maps and more than 400 video clips," Roberts said. "The same download on dial-up would have taken two weeks."

Other cable industry executives, including Time Warner Inc. Chief Executive Richard Parsons, News Corp. President Peter Chernin and Viacom Inc. Chief Executive Philippe Dauman, cheered the demonstration during a panel afterward.

Brian Dietz, spokesman for the conference host, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, said the demonstration was the key technological advance showcased at the conference.

"It's an exponential step forward and we're very excited," Roberts said.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:52:27 pm by Texasmame »

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: WOWIE WOW WOW! 25x faster than today's cable modems!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:41:05 am »
I had FiOS for a few months when I last lived with my parents.  Fan-freaking-tastic.  The potential behind the fiber-optic system is phenomenal.  I can't wait to see where Verizion takes it.  If cable comes up with anything that can keep up I will be very surprised.  This project you are posting about may be faster than FiOS for a while, but the bandwidth potential of light is insane, thousands of wavelengths (that current technology can detect) that each equal one copper conductor essentially, and no RFI.  I have very high hopes for fiber-optic, and the responses that anybody competing with it will come up with.  Great technology fuels competition, and competition fuels innovation.  The future's so bright I gotta  8)

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:39 am »
They'll still probably cripple the hell out of the upstream.  :angry:
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:45:02 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:23:36 am »

ill be happy with broadband that runs at 56k modem speed where i live  :angry:

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:51:19 am »

Won't happen here, we still can't get DSL.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:38:45 pm »
Comcast Corp. Chief Executive Brian Roberts dazzled a cable industry audience Tuesday, showing off for the first time in public new technology that enabled a data download speed of 150 megabits per second, or roughly 25 times faster than today's standard cable modems.

Meh - 3 times faster than my real current connection...

Yawn... Cable is the sux0r...

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:27 pm »

Won't happen here, we still can't get DSL.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAN.  How many posts would you have if you had a broadband connection?  What kind of connection DO you have and why haven't you moved?  I have been so used to high speed that if I go anywhere and have to use dial-up or anything slower than DSL I go crazy, I suppose I'm spoiled and picky, but it's hard to have to wait again after years of nearly instant page loads.

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 12:16:06 am »
I had FiOS for a few months when I last lived with my parents.  Fan-freaking-tastic.  The potential behind the fiber-optic system is phenomenal.  I can't wait to see where Verizion takes it.  If cable comes up with anything that can keep up I will be very surprised.  This project you are posting about may be faster than FiOS for a while, but the bandwidth potential of light is insane, thousands of wavelengths (that current technology can detect) that each equal one copper conductor essentially, and no RFI.  I have very high hopes for fiber-optic, and the responses that anybody competing with it will come up with.  Great technology fuels competition, and competition fuels innovation.  The future's so bright I gotta  8)

Debating going with FIOS.  Same price as my Verizon DSL, just haven't done it due to the PITA factor of having a tech come to run the box, fibers, etc.

Then again, I introduced my wife to Limewire tonight - she's cuttin' big-time into the bandwidth now!  :P

I gotta make the jump to FIOS :blah:. . .

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 12:50:29 am »
Debating going with FIOS.  Same price as my Verizon DSL, just haven't done it due to the PITA factor of having a tech come to run the box, fibers, etc.

Dude - totally worth it. I've had FIOS for 6 months now, and I will never go back!!! They even installed a battery backup system so that if my power goes out, my internet doesn't - at least not for about 8 hours. Do it now, thank me later...

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 04:05:05 am »
Cable is available at 12,5Mb already in the Netherlands (not lab speeds, but what you actually can get)  ADSL2+ goes up to 20Mb. In reality there are not many sites that actually offer full speed downloads though.
This signature is intentionally left blank

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17:15 am »
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAN.  How many posts would you have if you had a broadband connection?  What kind of connection DO you have and why haven't you moved?  I have been so used to high speed that if I go anywhere and have to use dial-up or anything slower than DSL I go crazy, I suppose I'm spoiled and picky, but it's hard to have to wait again after years of nearly instant page loads.

95% or more of my posts are during my work hours while I'm waiting on some other job to finish, and at that time, I'm on a corporate quality network.  At home I have a higher than average cable setup because I work from home off hours frequently and require it for that.  It's fairly pricey in home use ISP costs, though, and I'd love to be able to reduce the cost to DSL levels.

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 08:04:12 am »
I have FIOS too, it's 15 meg down, 2 meg up.  We're getting a free upgrade to 20 meg down here shortly.  One GIANT pro over cable is FIOS is brand new lines inside and out, and it's on a fiber network.  I've had Comcast Cable, they suck.  Nothing but problems with the lines and connection speeds.