Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Beat the DUI wrap, NEW TRUCK!!!  (Read 6083 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Beat the DUI wrap, NEW TRUCK!!!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 03:16:45 pm »

Our was automatic and died all of a sudden on the highway, almost causing my wife to get into a really bad accident.  11pm on a 0 degree night with a baby and a toddler, too.  It sucked.  I wasn't in the car.

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 03:30:33 pm »
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr112106.html

Vehicle size and type are factored in: TOP SAFETY PICK is awarded by vehicle size because size and weight are closely related, and both influence how well occupants will be protected in serious crashes. Larger, heavier vehicles generally afford better protection in crashes than smaller, lighter ones.

4 cars on the list and 7 SUV's. Not to mention that they say this...

"The awards recognize the cream of the crop for safety in the vehicle size classes, but they don't mean a smaller vehicle that's an award winner affords better protection than a larger vehicle that didn't win TOP SAFETY PICK," Lund points out.

So, if it were just based solely on safety and not categorized by type, it would have likely been all SUV's and no cars.

So where is your "proof" that SUV's are no safer than cars?

You crack me up.  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:

How could you ever even begin to think differently... unless there is some other agenda?

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 04:29:09 pm »
They only allow cars that have ESC? ESC is mostly put on SUVs in an attempt to make them roll less. Regular cars don't need it so much so they often don't have it. So yes, if you only allow vehicles with ESC then you are likely to get a majority of SUVs.

For a more balance safety list see ForbesAutos Top 10 Safest Vehicles
Acura RL
Volvo S80
Honda Odyssey
Acura TL
Chrysler 300C/Dodge Charger
Lincoln Town Car
Buick Lucerne
Lexus ES 330
Lincoln LS
Honda Pilot

or check the government safety site. Or check the actual crash statistics that are not really favorable for SUVs (LTVs includes SUVS,  but I added them separately too):
This signature is intentionally left blank

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 05:51:43 pm »
http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/overall/idx.htm

Two vehicle crashes is only part of the accidents. SUVs are more involved in single vehicle crashes and this compensates for their murderous nature in two-vehicle crashes.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:40 pm »
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

It's kinda funny that some of you guys are perfecting willing to drive around a sissy car in exchange for $500 in gas savings.

Let me know when there's a viable 75 mpg car, until then, stfu.

What's an example of a sissy car?
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:54 pm »
I have no problem with anyone driving what they want, and I'm partial to crew cab pickups since I tow, have dirt bikes, and also this weird arcade machine fetish none of the car drivers here seem to be interested in.  ;D

The H2 SUT doesn't make sense to me, though. Its compromised as a people mover by losing the third row of seats to the bed, but the bed looks too small to really haul anything. At least the Avalanche and other 4 door pickups come with usable beds.

Since I live in the same area as our recovering drunk, I'm also happy to be driving a tank instead of a little shitbox.  ;)

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 09:10:06 pm »

Can I take a stab at this?

The undefeated #1 World Champion sissy car: Toyota Prius.

Some of the contenders... New Beetle, Scion XB, Honda Element, Nissan Versa, Mini Cooper, Jeep Compass, Hyundai Tiburon, Honda Fit, Chevy Aveo and any Kia.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 09:41:35 pm »
Here in Oz our government doesn't use our tax money to encourage toffs to buy SUVs, so those people who "need the space" have wagons, utes or reconfigurable mini-vans. Having been out to rural areas many, many times over the years I have never seen a single farmer drive those raised monstrosities here, even the ones who live in the places where a road is defined as any part of the land which doesn't have a tree on it.  :dunno

My advice to the toffs is the same as it always has been: quit ---smurfing--- around and buy a tank if you want your baby to be able to survive a train wreck.  :cheers:

Done. SLATFATF.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2007, 12:11:09 am »

Can I take a stab at this?

The undefeated #1 World Champion sissy car: Toyota Prius.

Some of the contenders... New Beetle, Scion XB, Honda Element, Nissan Versa, Mini Cooper, Jeep Compass, Hyundai Tiburon, Honda Fit, Chevy Aveo and any Kia.

I would love to have a Prius, just for the gas mileage. 

shorthair

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:24 am »
http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/overall/idx.htm

Two vehicle crashes is only part of the accidents. SUVs are more involved in single vehicle crashes and this compensates for their murderous nature in two-vehicle crashes.

I bet that's cos they females - ahem, people in them are distracted jack-jawing on their cell phones...without at least using a headset.

Mileage, schmileage. Tucker made a 1-ton beast with 28 mpg IN THE 50'S. Electrical stuff has been around for over a hundred years. Or how bout this dude recently that found out how to catalyse water into hydrogen and oxygen, first as a welding device, and then as a fuel for combustion? It's capitalism, boys. Dig it.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007, 03:13:08 am »
Let me know when there's a viable 75 mpg car, until then, stfu.
Well there are several cars already doing 78mpg. Guess since it doesn't have the size of a bus you will not call it viable, but still.

BTW What's wrong with a Toyota Prius? It's reasonably spacey, has some cool high tech features, is probably safer to drive than a hummer H2, has pretty good acceleration which means it will outrun most behemoth SUVs and it still does something like 50mpg. 50 mpg which would save closer to $2,000 a year in gas if you drive 15,000 miles a year compared to an SUV which does 16 mpg. It's sissy because it's a sensible car?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:36:25 am by patrickl »

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 08:57:32 am »
I would love to have a Prius, just for the gas mileage. 

Ken, hybrids are the greatest automotive scam in the last 50 years. First, the mileage was over-reported on them by testing them in a low speed testing cycle that maximized battery usage. Once busted, they had to re-do the test cycles and report the correct and substantially lower mileage.

Second, the premium you pay over a standard 4 cylinder car will not repay itself in fuel savings for about 6 or 7 years. That co-incides with the useful life of the battery units. We haven't started hitting this point in the hybrid age yet. Figure 4 to 5 THOUSAND dollars to replace the batteries in a 7+ year old car.

At that point, all your wasted money and environmental do-gooding is negated by the disposal/chemical recycling process of a huge toxic battery. Around that same point, there will start to be some normal wear and tear things like charging and switching failures that are going to make troubleshooting the complex electrical systems of these cars an expensive "guess and replace" nightmare for both mechanics and owners.

Do some real research, not Consumer Reports BS, and you'll find any current hybrid is about the worst purchase decision you could make. If you want to save gas and have a car that will last for many trouble free years, get a standard Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:59:28 am by TOK »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 09:15:12 am »

Here's a screaming endorsement of the Civic... 30-35mpg, reasonable pop for the engine size, practically maintenance free outside of normal wear parts.  $16,000 MSRP.

Just going from the 15mpg of an SUV to the 30mpg of the Civic saves a huge amount of money at $3/gallon.

I've been driving my Civic for 100k miles now.  The only drawback I've had at all is that it was stolen twice when new.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 10:49:58 am »
When fuel cell technology is at a well-designed and implemented point, I'll buy into that. From what I understand about the hybrids, the Toyota Corrolla can actually outperform the Prius in gas mileage (or at least be comparable at 30-35) depending on the driving conditions.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 11:06:54 am »

I've read a couple of reports that say in reasonable city driving, the Prius isn't any better than the Civic.  You have to be primarily on the highway for it to make a real difference.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 11:16:44 am »

Don't know how many similar cars you'll find in the advertised range of the Prius for highway driving.  It's way up there in the literature.

Here is a good thread I'm poking through about the Prius and mileage.  Ridiculously long.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28:31 am »
I believe the car that still gets the best gas milage is the diesel Jetta TDI.  Do a search for any road trip tests of the prius vs the jetta tdi and you'll see the jetta easily beats it every time.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
Top Gear's (my favorite car show) review of the Prius   ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:35:35 am by AtomSmasher »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:12 am »
In the low to mid $20k range.  Not too bad, I suppose, relatively.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 12:35:45 pm »
...and any Kia.

Ah, crap.  I'm a sissy.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:26 pm »

FWIW, it's less sissified if you're on the type of budget that makes Kia a reasonable option.

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »
Interesting stuff ther on the hybrids TOK.  Glad I havn't bought one. (Although I still like them.)

What I want to chime in with is that it also really makes a difference how far one drives when figuring what is practical.

In my other life I'm a Jeep nut.  I have 3.  Currently my Daily driver is a 02 Wrangler with a modest lift and mud tires.  It gets crap for gas milage but I like driving it and my total commute each day is about 2 miles.  At 14 MPG with Gas at $3.25 thats ~.46¢. I can handle that.  When I go driving on the dirt then I don't care because gas is just factored in to the cost of having fun. 

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2007, 01:01:53 pm »
...and any Kia.

Ah, crap.  I'm a sissy.

I was just breaking balls based on a setup line. Besides, you can always just say it's your sisters if anyone asks.  ;)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 01:06:25 pm »

Don't know how many similar cars you'll find in the advertised range of the Prius for highway driving.  It's way up there in the literature.

Here is a good thread I'm poking through about the Prius and mileage.  Ridiculously long.
Actually the mileage maybe best in highway use, but the hybrid is most effective in cutting city fuel usage. The stopping and starting is where the hybrid is best. A prius will have a reasonable mileage like 45 mpg if you drive it in the city and up to 60mpg if you drive it on the highway. While a regular car like a 1.4l Honda Civic will get 30mpg in the city and something like 50mpg on the highway.

It's maybe even easier to see with the Honda Civic 1.4l hybrid and the regular Civic 1.4. The highway mileage for the Hybrid and the regular Civic is comparable. In the City, the Hybrid uses 40% less fuel than the regular Civic.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 01:13:55 pm »
Yeah, TOK, I can't afford that car, but thanks for the information.  My wife is German and my Brother-in-law works as an engineer for VW in Wolfsburg, so I've heard a lot about the differences between mileage here and there. 

The Turbodiesel's are doing very well in Europe and my wife's family has a car that they always fill with biodiesel, which is plentiful from gas station's there.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:06 pm »
Actually the mileage maybe best in highway use, but the hybrid is most effective in cutting city fuel usage.
[/quote]

If you read through that monster Prius thread I linked to, they're commonly saying it simply isn't happening that way.  The theory is sound but the technology, in practice, isn't accomplishing the goal.

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
Yeah, TOK, I can't afford that car, but thanks for the information.  My wife is German and my Brother-in-law works as an engineer for VW in Wolfsburg, so I've heard a lot about the differences between mileage here and there. 

My wife just bought a Jetta Wolfsburg and wants to visit the plant when she's in Germany this summer.  Any chance your wife can hook her up with a VIP tour?  :)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 03:48:55 pm »
Actually the mileage maybe best in highway use, but the hybrid is most effective in cutting city fuel usage.

If you read through that monster Prius thread I linked to, they're commonly saying it simply isn't happening that way.  The theory is sound but the technology, in practice, isn't accomplishing the goal.
Well I read part of that thread, but no I didn't see anyone claim that it doesn't work. I do see a lot of people claiming it does well over 50mpg

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2007, 03:52:03 pm »

There are a lot of people saying it doesn't, too, and that the MPG meter on the dashboard doesn't match their hand calculated stats.  It's better than the regular cars, yes, but not nearly on the scale with which Toyota would have people believe.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2007, 04:24:56 pm »

There are a lot of people saying it doesn't, too, and that the MPG meter on the dashboard doesn't match their hand calculated stats.  It's better than the regular cars, yes, but not nearly on the scale with which Toyota would have people believe.
From the page you linked to:
52.2MPG
51.46 (+-0.36) MPG
50.8 mpg
50 MPG
52-53 mpg
All done by hand calculating how much gas they tanked at the pump.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2007, 04:31:05 pm »

Yes, and I saw many that were in the low 40s, as well.  As I keep saying, the results are mixed

Havoc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2010, 07:07:27 pm
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 04:46:29 pm »
[/quote]

Makes sense if you think about, electric motors are great at providing a lot of torque at low speeds and gasoline engines are more efficient when cruising speed is reached.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 04:50:33 pm »

The reviews are saying the technology isn't working optimally, though, such as the gas motor turning on too soon or too late, etc etc.  The theory is sound, their extensive reviews are mixed as to the implementation.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 05:58:20 pm »

The reviews are saying the technology isn't working optimally, though, such as the gas motor turning on too soon or too late, etc etc.  The theory is sound, their extensive reviews are mixed as to the implementation.
Seriously, where do you get that from that thread? There are so many people on that thread reporting 50+ mpg that I cannot see how you claim it doesn't work. I guess for most people it's less than the 60mpg EPA claims, but without hybrid that car would get the same mileage a regular car gets and that would be around 35 mpg (or 40mpg at best, but then you'd need to compare that to the 55 or 60 mpg figures that people mention too).

Like I said before, my dad has one. Well, it's not his, he got it from his company to drive in. He has a tank card and when he gets gas he has to enter the number on the kilometer meter. So they know exactly what his mileage is. He also gets 50+ mpg all the time.

What is ridiculous though, in the Netherlands they give a 6.000 euro net tax break on these cars. That's just out of proportion.

shorthair

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2007, 06:20:11 pm »
Or what about the Ford EV-1 that got killed. Seen that video?  Much less the Tesla car. Or, back on fuel, how bout that bio-diesel hotrod (0-60 in 4 seconds) with 50 mpg those KIDS at some east coast high school built from scratch?

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »
Just thought I would mention this again, the Jetta TDI is not a hybrid and gets better milage then the Prius.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2007, 09:52:40 pm »
Or what about the Ford EV-1 that got killed. Seen that video?  Much less the Tesla car. Or, back on fuel, how bout that bio-diesel hotrod (0-60 in 4 seconds) with 50 mpg those KIDS at some east coast high school built from scratch?

The EV-1 was by GM, and was electric only. The EV-1 worked in a very limited way in warm climates only. GM knew this, which is why they offered them for lease only to a hand picked group of people, then destroyed them all when the leases were up.

shorthair

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2007, 12:23:01 am »

The EV-1 was by GM, and was electric only. The EV-1 worked in a very limited way in warm climates only. GM knew this, which is why they offered them for lease only to a hand picked group of people, then destroyed them all when the leases were up.

Not what it says in the movie.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 03:07:48 am by shorthair »

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2007, 02:40:45 am »
Just thought I would mention this again, the Jetta TDI is not a hybrid and gets better milage then the Prius.
Only in incidental cases (worst Prius figures compared to best Jetta figures). In normal use it has 35/42 mileage. The 2008 version is supposed to get better mileage (45mpg average). I like that they can just apply the bluemotion principle to any regular car and make it burn less fuel.

Diesel is bad for the health though. The fine dust coming from diesel exhausts is quite dangerous. So especially in congested areas it's not really a good option.