Main > Monitor/Video Forum

Soft-15KHz - slim new tool for 15KHz on normal vga cards

<< < (483/485) > >>

retrometro:

--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---Just one thing soft15khz still has going for it: the setup is very easy and almost no learning curve. CRT_emudriver is arguably easy to setup as well, but you have to know what you are doing to get the best out of it.

--- End quote ---

That's good to know in the future.  Hopefully CRT_emudriver will still be around in a few years when I decide to upgrade the cab's PC again for performance or other reasons.  I only have one cab and it's the main machine (4th Gen i5 on Win10x64) with a D9400 dedicated to only arcade games.  The previous PC (C2D on XPx64) is now in my home office attached to a regular TV via the ATI X700's s-video out.  No where near as nice as the multi-sync but still preferable to an LCD or older CRT monitor.

--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---There are many advantages, but two big ones. First, CRT_emudriver lets you define (& tweak!) any mode you want, not just accept what AVGA gives you.

--- End quote ---

What modes do people typically add other than a few resolutions no already covered?  Curious to learn what I may be missing.

--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---2nd, even if you don't install any new video modes, CRT_emudriver also lets you take advantage of Groovymame and all of it's refresh-rate-matching-goodness. Games really do play much better and closer to original with Groovymame.

--- End quote ---

Sorry I haven't googled first but at a high level, what are the main advantages of Groovymame if you can specify per game resolutions in MAME already?  Typically how far behind in releases is it to the main release?

--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---I'm doing another build on XP64 right now with an HD4650 card, which doesn't have the pixel shading problem, but am getting another problem with the latest x64 mame (well, 0.219 anyway) which looks like an underlying video card/XP/dll problem (the HD4XXX are considered legacy now). So I'll be using Groovymame 0.200 with that too.
I always make my posts too long, but I think the key message here is that unless you want to be stuck in the past, tinkering constantly to make things work, you have to move to Windows 7+ and newer video cards eventually.

--- End quote ---

I can appreciate the desire to keep the OS the same because so many changes have been made since the initial install that replacing or updating other things may be less of a hassle.  But why use XP on new builds?  Win10 doesn't seem too heavy and still runs MAME fine with just 2-4gb of RAM which I imagine many older XP systems had during that era.  As a bonus, Win10 can be ran "free" / without registration while still getting security updates.

Zebidee:
Buttersoft, a little desktop research seems to confirm that the AVGA cards won't take anything other than very old versions of CRT_emudriver. I just read this thread (which you participated in):

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=151781.0

Seems that haynor666 had the same misconception that I had - heard some old stories, but those methods are no longer available (except maybe under Linux). The CRT_emudriver documentation even lists AVGA 9250 cards as suitable (for the old 1.2 driver anyway)!

Zebidee:

--- Quote from: retrometro on April 03, 2020, 01:36:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---There are many advantages, but two big ones. First, CRT_emudriver lets you define (& tweak!) any mode you want, not just accept what AVGA gives you.

--- End quote ---

What modes do people typically add other than a few resolutions no already covered?  Curious to learn what I may be missing.

--- End quote ---

Seems I was wrong about the AVGA taking crtemudriver. You used to be able to do it. As to what resolutions people want to add... whatever they need. The idea is that the driver takes away such arbitrary limitations on what video modes you can have.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 01, 2020, 11:29:04 pm ---2nd, even if you don't install any new video modes, CRT_emudriver also lets you take advantage of Groovymame and all of it's refresh-rate-matching-goodness. Games really do play much better and closer to original with Groovymame.

--- End quote ---

Sorry I haven't googled first but at a high level, what are the main advantages of Groovymame if you can specify per game resolutions in MAME already?  Typically how far behind in releases is it to the main release?
--- End quote ---

I have actually already answered the first question right there - it matches your video mode's screen refresh rate to that of the actual game. It really makes a huge difference to how your emulated games play & feel, but it might be difficult for you to understand until you actually see it in action. As for the second question - Calamity pumps out Groovymame releases pretty regularly and with little delay, although obviously he has a real life too.

--- Quote ---I can appreciate the desire to keep the OS the same because so many changes have been made since the initial install that replacing or updating other things may be less of a hassle.  But why use XP on new builds?  Win10 doesn't seem too heavy and still runs MAME fine with just 2-4gb of RAM which I imagine many older XP systems had during that era.  As a bonus, Win10 can be ran "free" / without registration while still getting security updates.
--- End quote ---

Not complicated, I used XP64 in those builds because I was using old video cards with old computers. It was appropriate and about compatibility. They do everything I need them to do. Security updates aren't important when the PC lives offline in an arcade cab, and why have the overheads of Win10 when they aren't needed? When I have newer video cards with newer computers, then I'll install Win7 or Win10 or whatever as appropriate.

retrometro:

--- Quote from: Zebidee on April 03, 2020, 02:04:19 pm ---It really makes a huge difference to how your emulated games play & feel, but it might be difficult for you to understand until you actually see it in action.

--- End quote ---

Other than adjusting a game to the same refresh/resolution, how does groovymame make other differences in how a game play or feel?  Are there YT videos I can look at to show this difference?

Zebidee:
I some ways that would largely defeat the purpose, as both your monitor and the video format will impose their own refresh rates, or frame rates (fps) over the top of whatever the game was played at originally. But yeah, do a search on YT I guess there must be plenty of vids about how to set it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version