Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spinner question  (Read 4548 times)

ideft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 04:06:09 pm
  • "Mister, I suspect you to be a dope fiend"
Spinner question
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:09:11 pm »
How hard is it to hook up a TurboTwist 2(a slave) to a Mini-pac??  I am assuming just splicing some wires.  But I would like to be sure of this before I buy it.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Spinner question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:22:47 am »
A spinner just has one optical board, so you just hook up each spinner to one axis. Basically the same as hooking a trackball up to the minipac.
EDIT: A TT2 is an all-in-one plug n play spinner - there is no need to go thru a minipac.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:25:04 am by shardian »

ideft

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:51:21 am »
I would like to go through a mini pac if possible.  I was going to order the turbo twist 2(a slave-one without the optical board) just to avoid multiple circut boards in my CP.

juggle50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2022, 02:46:08 pm
  • Your either on the bus or off the bus
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:59:09 am »
I am curious about this too.  One advantage to hooking a spinner up to the mini-pac is if you have two optical devices (spinner and trackball) the mini-pac will disengage one optical device if you are using the other one.  For example, if your playing tempest and are using the spinner, the trackball goes dead so you can hit it accidently and it won't disturb the game.  This feature is great if you have a tight control panel or a lapbox type control panel where the optical devices might move if the cp is tilted.

WLVRYN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2008, 02:03:52 am
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:22:17 pm »
I know its not exactly the same, but I use the TT2 spinner in the slave version with an Optipac, and it works just fine.  I would imagine that the Optipac and Minipac operate similarly.  I have my trackball wired to the trackball input and spinner to the rotary input.  It works very well, and just required me to strip a couple of wires to get it wired up.  I would definitely recommend that configuration.  My only problem is that sometimes I use the trackball to select games, so when I try to play arkanoid or tempest, I have to wait a few seconds to start using the spinner (not really a problem though).

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:41:40 pm »
I am curious about this too.  One advantage to hooking a spinner up to the mini-pac is if you have two optical devices (spinner and trackball) the mini-pac will disengage one optical device if you are using the other one.  For example, if your playing tempest and are using the spinner, the trackball goes dead so you can hit it accidently and it won't disturb the game.
But recent versions of MAME map all mice independently, so if Tempest is mapped to the spinner (Mouse 2 X), moving the trackball (Mouse 1) will not have any effect regardless of interface.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:59 pm »
My only problem is that sometimes I use the trackball to select games, so when I try to play arkanoid or tempest, I have to wait a few seconds to start using the spinner (not really a problem though).

FYI, you can move a jumper around on the optipac to get rid of this delay.  I didn't like it either.  What would happen to me is in the middle of a game, between levels or something, I'd accidentally bump the trackball.  Then the level would start and my spinner wouldn't move and I'd lose a man.  If you're interested, I can look at my optipac when I get home and let you know which jumper (I can't remember).

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 02:44:10 pm »
Are you using the harness on Minipac?

No Minipac harness:
1. The black Molex connectors on the TT2 fit on the pins that are on the bottom right of the OptiWiz. These pins look like like the same pins on the Minipac. If they are the same, you just need to connect the black Molex connectors from the TT2 wire onto the Minipac.
2.If they don't fit, you'd need to either get new disconnects or solder the wires onto the Minipac

You are using the Minipac harness:
1.The white mini connector on the harness look a little bigger than the mini white connector on the TT2. If they are the same you could just plug the Minipac harness into the TT2. I'd double check the wiring diagrams before trying this.
2.You could definitely splice the wires together.  This wouldn't be difficult.

juggle50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2022, 02:46:08 pm
  • Your either on the bus or off the bus
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:23:10 am »
Thanks Tiger-Heli, I'm uprgrading mame from an older version in the next couple weeks.  I was unaware that MAME now mapped all optical devices independantly and therefore I was dependant on the minipac to do the job for me.  I'll look into that, thank you.

ideft

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:30:19 pm »
so if MAME maps mice indepently then the switching between 2 devices ie.trackball and spinner is not really a problem??(this was one of my main concerns from the start)  Also, the optic board that comes with the turbotwist 2, can you hook up a trackball to it?? on the x and y axis.(sorry a bit off topic)

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:11:21 pm »
the optic board that comes with the turbotwist 2, can you hook up a trackball to it?? on the x and y axis.

I'll just lift my response from this other thread:

Look at the TT2's OptiWiz. On the bottom right there are 5 sets of 2 pins. 2 for the x-axis, 2 for the y-axis, 2 for the z-axis and two sets of +5 and ground. You wire up one +5v and ground along with the x and y axes to the trackball. The TT2 gets the other power, ground and the z axis.

I'd recommend purchasing a cable from GGG. Just tell Randy exactly what you're doing with it (Happ track ball to TT2 version of the Optiwiz). For $15 he customized one for me with the little black Molex connectors on the Optiwiz end and the big white Molex connector on the trackball end. You can see my thread where I tried to make my own.  And once again, you save on shipping.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:20:53 am »
I am curious about this too.  One advantage to hooking a spinner up to the mini-pac is if you have two optical devices (spinner and trackball) the mini-pac will disengage one optical device if you are using the other one.  For example, if your playing tempest and are using the spinner, the trackball goes dead so you can hit it accidently and it won't disturb the game.
But recent versions of MAME map all mice independently, so if Tempest is mapped to the spinner (Mouse 2 X), moving the trackball (Mouse 1) will not have any effect regardless of interface.
Thanks Tiger-Heli, I'm uprgrading mame from an older version in the next couple weeks.  I was unaware that MAME now mapped all optical devices independantly and therefore I was dependant on the minipac to do the job for me.  I'll look into that, thank you.

No, no.  MAME may map devices indepandantly, but the MiniPac does not.  If you're running your TB and your spinner both through the same MiniPac, then as far as your computer and therefore MAME are concerned, there is only one device present.  So, MAME cannot map to the spinner separately from the trackball.  In order for MAME to see them as separate devices, they would have to be:

a) hooked up to two totally separate interfaces (two MiniPacs, a MiniMac and a mouse hack, an Opti-Wiz and a MiniPac, etc.);

b) hooked up to a single interface that appears to the computer as two mouse devices (OptiPac)

c) hooked up to a single interface that supports three independant mouse axes (Opti-Wiz)

If both the spinner and TB are hooked to a single MiniPac, then it will work as Juggle50 described.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 01:50:36 pm »
I think Kremmit is correct, but there was a recent post that said you can change a jumper to eliminate the delay on the Opti-Pac (both spinner and trackball would control the cursor in both MAME and Windows, then), don't know if this is true for the mini-pac as well or not.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 04:11:05 pm »
I checked last night.  I mistakenly thought it was a jumper, but I think all I did was connect the spinner to player2 rotary and the trackball to player1 trackball per Andy's advice.  There is no delay at all now.  Both the spinner and trackball appear to MAME 0.114 as mouse1 however, which is a bit puzzling (I thought player 1 and player 2 were two different mouse devices).

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 10:35:35 pm »
I just checked mine, there are no jumpers at all on the MiniPac.

ringram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2021, 05:25:37 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 09:17:55 am »
Hey ideft, I asked Randy that exact question, and yes, you can hook up a trackball to the optical inteface that came with the TT2.