Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ USB trackball problem  (Read 3404 times)

golfboyusa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 12:44:25 pm
  • Kinda tired....think I'll go home now.....
    • Ted's Arcade
Happ USB trackball problem
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:31:31 pm »
  Hi everyone. I just installed a new Happ USB trackball and I'm having an issue in Golden Tee and World class bowling. If you hit your shot reasonably hard the swing sort of stutters and the result is a shot that goes 1/2 of what is usually would. In bowling the same shot will make the ball pause, then after release the ball goes down the lane at about 1/2 speed. If I use my thumbs both games work perfectly. This issue may be present in other games, but these two are the ones I care about fixing the most.

The computer is brand new, running windows Vista. I promise that processor speed is not an issue. If I test the trackball on a windows screen, I don't see any unusual response from the mouse cursor.

I'm running Mame32 0.114 for the frontend.

I need help!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 11:46:14 pm by golfboyusa »

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Happ USB trackball problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:43:11 pm »
It sounds like 'backspin'.  That can happen if your sensitivity is set too high (in MAME or windows).

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:52:42 pm »
I adjusted the sensitivity settings in mame from 25% to 10% and the problem is still there. In windows, Vista only has a "mouse pointer speed" setting, and that adjustment is no help either.

draginit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 12:59:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 02:16:16 pm »
 -maybe the encoder-     i am using the happ 3" and i had this same problem when using an opti-pac encoder form ultimarc(couldnt get more than 200 yds on golden tee,stuttering responses, and terrible timing on everything),...i upgraded to the (USB)opti-wiz from groovy game gear and it works flawlessy with no adjustments needed.(300 yd drives now and perfect accuracy on all my games)  just my experience, maybe it will help.

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 03:30:05 pm »
The encoder is a Hagstrom, but it should not have anything to do with the problem as the trackball plugs directly into the USB port.

sewerrat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2009, 11:53:11 am
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:09:38 pm »
Is it possible for you to make a 75 foot putt???
I don't have the stutter issue, but no matter how hard I spin the trackball I can't get the putt to go more than 55-65 feet.  I wonder if the problems are related.
I have a Happs 3" USB as well

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 04:24:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure a 75 footer would go. It's a fine line between a hard spin and a really hard spin.

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 04:30:37 pm »
After further review, I can duplicate the problem on a windows screen. When I roll the trackball hard the pointer shoots up a few inches, stops, then continues on.

I liked the earlier comment about possible overload on the usb ports. The trackball cord also has a pin connector for the mouse port. I plugged in there and nothing changed. Same problem.

I should also note that I have a USB spinner, USB lightgun and a USB Hagstrom encoder. Is it possible to have too many working at the same time?

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 04:51:14 pm »
It certainly sounds like the encoder within the trackball isn't able to keep up.  I have a Happs trackball and an Optipac and it works fine with no backspin.

boodroe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2020, 12:49:25 am
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:24 am »
I had the same exact problem. I had to buy a new trackball. Here is my thread. It seems to be a common problem.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48113.0
Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time.

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:15 am »
Well, I contacted Happ and told them of my problems. They blamed my delay on the fact that the computer I had was running Windows Vista.  Then, I hooked up the trackball to a computer that was running XP and I was able to duplicate the problem. Happ then said that the USB version of the trackballs don't process the information as quickly as the ones that run through encoders due to a board that is installed which they have no control over. So, I ended up ordering another trackball and I plan to hook it up through my Hagstrom and see what happens. The trackball should be here any day, so I will post with the results. After reading the thread in the post before this, I'm not too hopeful.

I should note that this is the 7th Happ trackball I have installed in 7 different mame cabinets and I have never seen this issue. Previously the configuration was Happ Trackball/Ultimarc encoder for the 1st four cabs. Then Happ Trackball/Hagstrom encoder for the next two. Then Happ USB trackball/Hagstom for the last one and that's when all the problems started. To be continued.......

shlap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2022, 02:57:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 02:49:47 am »
Alright so I’ve waited 15 years now so I gotta ask, what was the result?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 12:02:39 pm »
Alright so I’ve waited 15 years now so I gotta ask, what was the result?

It's been answered numerous times in similar posts, but this one is so old the conclusion probably hadn't yet been reached. 

The HAPP PS/2 / USB trackball makes use of a standard, very slow mouse encoder chip on it's interface.  The remedy is complete replacement of the optical PCBs on the trackball, new wire harness and a dedicated, high-performing optical interface designed for the job, such as an Opti-Wiz.  Whether the OP's new trackball ended up working better on his old Hagstrom encoder I can't say.

The route normally taken by those experiencing this issue with those HAPP trackballs is usually to just buy a new standard one, along with the proper interface parts and use the old one for spare parts.