Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: When does Wincab save its database?  (Read 2527 times)

welshmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:21:16 pm
When does Wincab save its database?
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:13:40 pm »
Just curious because I have a button on my juke that starts and stops the computer, but if I use that to shutdown without exiting Wincab first then things like the popular list never get updated.  I suspect I need to exit the software before shutting down.

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2010, 07:14:38 am
Re: When does Wincab save its database?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:54:14 am »
i think it saves the database on shutdown of wincab (Chris, is this correct?)

also, does this "button" you use to "start and stop" just cut power to turn off the computer, or is it wired to the same place as the original PC power button?

if you are running wincab, then you are obviously running windows, so which version are you using,
98, 2000 or XP?
because 98 and 2000 will just shut straight off if you press the power button, but XP should shutdown the same as if you had clicked START, ShutDown

im running XP, and this is what my juke does (i.e. shutdown properly), and ive never had a problem with the database.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:26:39 pm »
The database is saved both immediately after indexing and again on exit.  WinCab can be set to shut down Windows on exit, so you could have a button mapped to shut down WinCab and let it shut down Windows.  (Note that this is only tested on XP, but it should work on all versions of Windows.)

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

welshmark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:21:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:52 pm »
Thanks Chris and  Dibb1er.  The button I'm referring to is wired to the same place as the original pc power button.  I'm running ME, but I configured the power options on the control panel to do a normal windows shutdown when the power button is pressed.  Chris - your suggestion is kind of what I've ended up doing.  I've mapped a button to exit from Wincab, then I hit the power button (don't want to shutdown every time as I have other apps that run on the juke).