Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ Trackball problem  (Read 4640 times)

RacerX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
Happ Trackball problem
« on: April 11, 2003, 11:14:00 am »
I'm having a problem with my Happ trackball.  Whenever I roll it to the right, it feels pretty smooth.  But when I roll it to the left, it feels "jerky" like it's skipping or something, and it won't roll freely.  I understand they need to be lubed once in awhile, but it seems like it wouldn't roll in either direction if this was my problem.  But I don't know much about how these things work so I could be dead wrong.

Any ideas?

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:Happ Trackball problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 11:47:44 am »
They work just like a giant mouse.  Maybe the rollers got gunked up like they do in a mouse. (Non-optical).  You know when you have to take the ball out of the bottom of your mouse to clean it of the gunk that gets stuck to the rollers.  By the way, what is that gunk anyway.  Maybe I'll do a chemical analysis.  So, pull the ball and clean the gunk off.  If of course that's what you have.

AX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2004, 02:07:53 pm
  • The only way to win is to cheat!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 02:07:12 pm »
the optical mouse has the same problem but it gets stuck on the little helper balls.  it's friggin annoying.  I think it's dried flaked off skin.  nasty.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 06:21:23 am »
I'm having a problem with my Happ trackball.  Whenever I roll it to the right, it feels pretty smooth.  But when I roll it to the left, it feels "jerky" like it's skipping or something, and it won't roll freely.  I understand they need to be lubed once in awhile, but it seems like it wouldn't roll in either direction if this was my problem.  But I don't know much about how these things work so I could be dead wrong.

Any ideas?

If you mounted it like this
with the top of the image facing the monitor (as the current directions tell you to), then when you roll left you are pushing the away from the horizontal roller shaft.  The idler shaft (the diagonal one) is supposed to keep the ball on the roller shafts.  Since you feel the jerkiness, check your idler shalf for bumps, grooves, grime, and hair.  One strand of hair can do something as you discribe on my PC trackball.  At least the ball can pop right out of the kensington TB, but I think that's also why the hair gets in there so often (once or twice a week).
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Stein

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 09:38:14 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 04:44:04 pm »
I noticed the same thing with my happ TB... except the rollers are perfectly clean and free of gunk. I think this is pretty normal at first, the happ trackball seems to break-in after a bit.  Everytime I open it up tho and take the rollers out and put em back in the TB seems to need to break-in all over again. It's like the bearing on the rollers need to 'settle' or something.

the one most helpful thing I know about the Happ TB (after literally hours of screwing with it) is that if you don't tighten the TB's casing screws too tight the spin time will really improve ;)

good luck
Stein

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 10:52:38 pm »
Well, I finally had time to take the trackball apart and see what's going on.  Basically the bearings just needed to be lubed.  If the bearings are not rolling as freely as they should, the trackball will "jump" out of it's seat between the 3 rollers just a bit when you roll it to the right (I had it backwards in my original post).