Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gauntlet Legends mame-ified (updated 2007-05-08)  (Read 23185 times)

bleargh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:23:16 pm
  • ribbit...
Lighting arrived!
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 04:21:49 pm »
Woo-hoo!

Package arrived from RandyT in yesterdays mail, and the wife picked it up for me this morning.   :applaud:

2x LED-Wizs, a Key-Wiz, a handful of NovaGem pushbuttons (which I'm using for the pinball clusters on the side of the panel), and a slew of Button Blaster LEDs.

All I need now is some Linux drivers... ;)

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • ribbit...
Re: Gauntlet Legends mame-ified (updated 2007-05-08)
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21:02 pm »
Gee, I'm behind on my updates again...

A few more things arrived since my last post...

Keychain.  I'd ordered a Gauntlet Legends keychain off of "arcadetees" on eBay a while back and it (finally) arrived.  Nice keychain, but took forever to get shipped.  At least now I'll remember what that extra set of keys is sitting on my desk, though.

Tokens.  I bought a bag of .984 tokens off of alank2 and they arrived yesterday.  Had to make some adjustments to one of the coin mechs to get it to repeatedly accept all of the tokens, but that wasn't too hard.  Used the info on this page over at Arcade Replay to help figure out how to adjust the mechs.  Have to say, though, that it was really nice to hear that "clunk, jingle" sound of the tokens going into the machine.  Did feel kinda odd, though, stuffing 25 tokens into the machine again and again while testing it out.  Had a flash of "oh gawd this game costs a fortune, it better be good" whiz through my mind.

Gfx card.  Gave up on the ATI Radeon 7500 that I had kicking around and bought a used GeForce2MX board w/s-video.  The ATI is a nice board, but has no TV-out support for anything under than Windows.  PM me if interested; I'm willing to sell the ATI board.

Side art.  Bought a replacement set of side art on eBay, which arrived last week.  Its not like I need it as the art on the cab is in great shape, but I figured that it'd be nice to have a replacement set for when the time comes.

I've also started prepping for wiring up the CP here, but have found that father time stole my soldering mojo.  Been a while since I last did any soldering of small electronic items (~10yrs), and I see that I'm, uh, not as good at it as I used to be.  So, taking a bit of time to practice on some junk before I finish wiring up all of the LEDs for the buttons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:23:42 pm by bleargh »

Major Rock Hardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 01:15:41 am »
bleargh-

I too desire to have a linux-only MAME machine and I applaud your desire to have a GPwiz49 driver for linux.  I started working on this back in the day and I feel like I got pretty far (hacked the kernel usb code).  It has been a while (life got in the way) I am interested in downloading the latest kernel and advancemame release and trying again.

be sure to check out my thread on the matter:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=46747.0
(although some info may be outdated - check which kernel this applies to)

I would love to get this accomplished, and I'm willing to help you.  I did at one point get the control codes from Randy and I'm sure I have them on my MAME box somewhere.  Just have to find them.  How experienced are you with USB drivers?

Cheers,

MRH
(back in the saddle)

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • ribbit...
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:10 am »
I would love to get this accomplished, and I'm willing to help you.  I did at one point get the control codes from Randy and I'm sure I have them on my MAME box somewhere.  Just have to find them.  How experienced are you with USB drivers?

Can't say I've got a dearth of experience with USB drivers, but I've got just shy of 30yrs programming background, the last dozen of so have been Linux/Un*x only. 

FWIW, I'm actually working on some drivers/apps right now for RandyT to get LEDWiz support under Linux.  Was soldering up my LEDs tonight and almost have them all done so that I can get the CP wired up.  Once its all wired I'll be sitting down to have a run through the LEDWiz docs that RandyT provided me with.

As for the GPWiz49, I'd love to get that working, but don't know if I can be much help at this point; although I've got 4x 49-ways on the GL CP, I don't have any GPWiz49s to hook them up to.  Feel free to e-mail me off-thread; I'd be happy to help out but am just not sure how I can be of assistance at this point.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 09:46:08 am »
Randy will be releasing a new version of the GPWiz49 in the next month or three.   So things will more than likely change.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytirm

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • ribbit...
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2007, 01:14:11 pm »
Randy will be releasing a new version of the GPWiz49 in the next month or three.   So things will more than likely change.

Been following the thread on that, and it does sound promising.  RandyT is aware that I'm hoping to (one day) get my GL CP hooked up with 4x GPWiz49s on a Linux box, and I understand that he's made some firmware changes to help accommodate that (running more smoothly on Linux, that is).

That said, though, he doesn't have to rush on my behalf... I'm still working on getting the LEDWizs and KeyWiz hooked up and fully functional on my Linux box... now that my soldering is done for the LEDs things should start to speed up a bit.