Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiki Suggestion: ClrMamePro Tutorial  (Read 10657 times)

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Wiki Suggestion: ClrMamePro Tutorial
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »
For anyone new to ClrMamePro, a tutorial would be extremely helpful.  I have read through a few online and finally managed to use the program to update rom sets.  It was not the easiest process. 

I think a part of the problem is that the program can do many things, yet none seem to be very easy for a layman to understand.  Even the tutorial that I used seemed to be missing a couple of steps that an experienced user takes for granted.  That makes it frustrating for a novice.

Tiger-Heli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
Re: Wiki Suggestion: ClrMamePro Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:57:14 pm »
For anyone new to ClrMamePro, a tutorial would be extremely helpful.  I have read through a few online and finally managed to use the program to update rom sets.  It was not the easiest process. 

I've always liked the EasyEmu guides: http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/clrmameguide.htm

I think a part of the problem is that the program can do many things, yet none seem to be very easy for a layman to understand.  Even the tutorial that I used seemed to be missing a couple of steps that an experienced user takes for granted.  That makes it frustrating for a novice.
More likely the "problem" is ClrMAME pro is updated usually at least monthly, if not more often, and the Guides are not . . .
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: Wiki Suggestion: ClrMamePro Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:31 am »
I had forgotten about that guide. I had read it awhile ago (12-18 months?) but didn't before I used ClrMamePro several days ago.   :hissy:

When I said "problem", I was not implying that the tutorials were bad/wrong/incomplete.  My intention was more along the lines of why I had problems with it.  I appreciate any work that people do to make things like that easier.

I will say, however, that people that are very comfortable with the program may make assumptions about how a user does things with the program.  Because it's easy for them to do it often times they don't understand how steep the learning curve may be.  Or to be more blunt, treat me like I am a 4 year old and using the software....   ;D

Anyway, I think the Wiki could be a great place for this if anyone is interested.  My two cents.