Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grrr...SAT Scores...  (Read 26088 times)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Grrr...SAT Scores...
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 12:52:19 pm »
Way to go and take two separate posts and take them put of context as you always do, ass hat.

Um ... yes ?

:dizzy: :dizzy:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

tommy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 12:57:25 pm »
Go ____ your mudda cheffo.  ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »
Go ____ your mudda cheffo.  ;D

Now that's just not a nice thing to say ... but at least it made sense, which is new.

Cheers.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 01:00:44 pm »
I wouldn't underline my mudda either. :dunno
Now in a tasty new flavour.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 01:12:07 pm »
Back to the subject at hand:

First off, check entrance requirments to the college of Engineering at the schools you wish to attend. Their entrance requirements are ALWAYS higher than the school requirements. I believe just to get in my school required a 3.0 HS GPA and a certain ACT score, but I don't remember which.

Secondly, Boykster is being a little on the harsh side, but he's just messing with - you nothing to get upset about. Taking calculus in High school is a complete waste of time. The class is a joke and barely covers the first few weeks of a college Calculus I class. Concentrate on Algebra and Trig. Take advanced Algebra and Trig if you can. I have known several people that thought they were hot ---Cleveland steamer--- for taking calculus in High school, just to flunk their first year college math.

If you aren't very good at math, you can still do it but be prepared to have a tutor, work your butt off, and have several mental breakdowns.

Lastly, the "be good at word problems" comment someone made is VERY VERY true. Every test you get in engineering, each problem will be one massive word problem.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:16:15 pm by shardian »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 01:22:10 pm »
jeebus, I just read some of the posts I skimmed....you're mediocre at best at mathematics and science, and you want to major in

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math.  

Nothing personal, but if math isn't your strong point, then I really wouldn't suggest any of those 4 majors.  

boykster - "biochemist turned computer guy"
I was just skimming over this thread and noticed this post and it is absolutely correct.  If you don't love doing math and/or find highschool math to be easy, then I wouldn't recommend those majors.  I thought high school math was easy, including the honors calculus class I took senior year, but the math classes in college were much much harder.  I was a comp sci major (which had an over 50% drop out rate) which had a lot of math, but one of my friends was a Chem E major, and that major in particular was possibly the hardest major in my school.

I'm not saying to not do those majors if its what you want to do, but just be prepared for a lot of very difficult math if you do go with it.  

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 01:32:52 pm »
I know that I am going to have to really start moving when it comes to math. Like I said, the main reason I believe I didn't do well on the SAT in math is because I had not taken Algebra II at the time. By the time the June SAT comes around, I will have taken almost the whole class, and should have a somewhat better understanding of it.
SAT only covers Alg1, Geometry, and Alg 2, so iof I really am learning this stuff, I shouldn't have too much of a problem

Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 01:40:34 pm »
1once in 3rd grade I got a gold star on some coloring assignment.... It didn't help me get into college  :dunno
But it did help you build that wonderful yellow cab ;)

if by build you mean have started yet never completed, then why yes it did help me built it  ;D

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 01:54:25 pm »

If you're taking the SATs now, the time to start moving on math was 2 years ago.  Now you're 2 years behind.

BTW, there is a lot of math classes in CMPSCI, but not a ton of math in the field, compared to the other majors mentioned.

tommy

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:10 pm »
Just do what you feel is best for you in you're life, nevermind what anyone else says USS.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2007, 02:13:15 pm »
Just do what you feel is best for you in you're life, nevermind what anyone else says USS.

Does that include underlining his mother ?

tommy

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 02:16:15 pm »

I'd like to see you outside so we can have a little conversation.  ;)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2007, 02:18:10 pm »

I'd like to see you outside so we can have a little conversation.  ;)

AGAIN with the Innernet Tuff Ghey act ?

I'm guessing that the conversation won't be the only thing little about you ...

:P

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:16 pm »

Don't know how tough he seems to be, he keeps asking you to go outside for a snog.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:41 pm »
Alright, I admit I came across a bit harsh, but many of the points I made are valid.  Do some serious research about what those majors entail and if you really want to go down that road because YOU want to, or because you heard that they were a good thing to do.  When I was an undergrad, it was right in the biotech boom push of the early 90's, and nearly EVERYBODY wanted to study biochemistry.  the previous year there were 25 biochem majors, my freshman year that ballooned to 200+.  How many graduated from that class in biochem?  About 20.

Don't discount a major because it has a lot of math, but be prepared for a lot of work if that is something you struggle with.  I'm really quite good at math, but I can't memorize to save my life.  Mnemonic devices don't work, etc etc., so I really struggled with a lot of the life sciences that rely heavily on memorizing names/systems/etc.  I shifted my focus to a more analytical side of biochemistry, dealing more with the fundamental chemistry than its application systemically and did much better.  P.chem, physics, and biochemistry are really the same field, just different applications of the same principles.  

I agree with the previous posters comments about pre-picking a fallback major, as well as not being to ambitious your first quarter/semester.  And I will re-iterate my comment about applied math (story problems).  THOSE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT problems.  You need to be able to read the problem and start formulating how to set it up mathematically.  

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:34:41 pm by boykster »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »
Don't know how tough he seems to be, he keeps asking you to go outside for a snog.

My response still holds then, doesn't it ?

tommy

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 04:39:40 pm »
I must say, this guy cheffo is a real loser to have on this forum. The guy follows you around taking things you say anywhere on the board and quoting them in any given thread at any giving time to make himself look like a cool guy/ass wipe, it's just pathetic

I bet he felt like a big man telling a young guy that his college dreams and tests were worth nothing and he should just crawl up and die instead of chasing his dreams.

Anyway, how did that thing work out before that i told you to go and do? Keep me posted.  ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 05:25:35 pm »
I must say, this guy cheffo is a real loser to have on this forum. The guy follows you around taking things you say anywhere on the board and quoting them in any given thread at any giving time to make himself look like a cool guy/ass wipe, it's just pathetic

I bet he felt like a big man telling a young guy that his college dreams and tests were worth nothing and he should just crawl up and die instead of chasing his dreams.

Once again, reading comprehension fails poor tommy ...

- I told USSE that he should get off of his duff and get cracking on the math right now if he wants to pursue those careers, having had some background in the areas in question.

- tommy told him to be happy, regardless of anything else, most likely because it is the opposite of what I said and easy enough to spell (well, almost).

Which set of advice has SOME chance of helping the kid get closer to his dreams ?

Oh, and tommy ... I'm not following you around, you just keep leaving these huge flaming piles of hypocrisy everywhere.

Cheers

EDIT: What was it that Goz said about you and Chad giving USSE advice ?  ;D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:36:51 pm by CheffoJeffo »

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:16 pm »
So what did you get on the portions of the SAT excluding the essay part?

2/3 of 1640 is about 1100, which is not bad for a junior.

Like Chad, I'm not used to the new scoring system.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »
Tommy calls Cheffo a loser.... hahahahahahaha doooooooooooooooosh

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 08:54:40 am »
So what did you get on the portions of the SAT excluding the essay part?

2/3 of 1640 is about 1100, which is not bad for a junior.

He said perfect is now 2400, so he got in the 70s percentage wise.  Not good.

The SATs are weird.  There were a couple really intelligent guys I went to HS with that took it many times and could never get above 800 (out of 1600).  I took it once, still drunk from the night before and covered in sand from the beach, slept my way through and scored really high.  Never took it again in case that was a fluke.   :laugh2:  Probably would have hit 1500 if I took precalc like I should have.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2007, 09:51:56 am »
Some people just don't test well.  I knew some people in HS that were fairly intelligent but couldn't score well on the SAT either.

I only took the SATs once also, and it had been a long night before the test haha.  Looks like Chad and I worried about the SATs about the same amount.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2007, 09:59:37 am »
Some people just don't test well.  I knew some people in HS that were fairly intelligent but couldn't score well on the SAT either.

I only took the SATs once also, and it had been a long night before the test haha.  Looks like Chad and I worried about the SATs about the same amount.

My wife and I are exact opposites when it comes to testing. She carried a 4.0 thru high school, and a 3.9 in college. However, it took her three tries on the act to muster a 21. She is HORRIBLE at standardized testing.

I on the other hand, thrive on standardized tests. To me, it is easy because the answer is always there and you can use deductive reasoning to figure the answer without knowing anything about the subject matter ( of course it helps if you do. ;))

You have to be good at working under pressure, and be very good at managing your time under said pressure.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:53 am »

Or just confident enough that you have the right answer and don't have to rework it 5 times.  If you are sure that you got it right the first time you usually have more than enough time to do everything.  It's the people who feel the need to triple check every problem that run out of time.  I was the first one out of there when I took them... of course, I was about to pass out, too, and needed a hardcore shower.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2007, 10:45:03 am »

There were about 7 different dates, within 2-3 towns, that we could take the SATs, both 11th and 12th grade.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:30 am »
Speaking of difficult tests, the Fundamental of Engineering exam is a MONSTER! Non-stop testing from 8 am until about 6 pm. Test covers everything, including some stuff I had never seen before. It has a pretty high fail rate too. I passed it on the first try, which is pretty hard to do - I was the only one from my class to do it.

Anyways, after I got home I was so brain fried that I just laid on the couch and stared blankly at the tv for the rest of the night.

billf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 05:53:05 pm
  • Why ya dog-gone crazy idgit!
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2007, 01:49:17 pm »
Speaking of difficult tests, the Fundamental of Engineering exam is a MONSTER! Non-stop testing from 8 am until about 6 pm. Test covers everything, including some stuff I had never seen before. It has a pretty high fail rate too. I passed it on the first try, which is pretty hard to do - I was the only one from my class to do it.

Anyways, after I got home I was so brain fried that I just laid on the couch and stared blankly at the tv for the rest of the night.

I concur!  It took me 4 tries to get through this beast.  Finally got a 73% to pass on that fourth one.  When I was in college, we were allowed to take the FE and the PE (Professional Engineers 8 hour exam) before finishing school.  My wife (very good test taker) passed the FE test with an 80% on the first try and then the next day took the PE and passed that one with a 70%.  She actually left the PE with 1 hour left to go!  Said she was burnt out - two back to back 8 hour exams will do that.  Like I said, she does very well on tests in general.  Me, not so much.  To my knowledge, now you have to pass the FE and get experience in the real world before being able to take the PE.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2007, 02:00:47 pm »
I concur!  It took me 4 tries to get through this beast.  Finally got a 73% to pass on that fourth one.  When I was in college, we were allowed to take the FE and the PE (Professional Engineers 8 hour exam) before finishing school.  My wife (very good test taker) passed the FE test with an 80% on the first try and then the next day took the PE and passed that one with a 70%.  She actually left the PE with 1 hour left to go!  Said she was burnt out - two back to back 8 hour exams will do that.  Like I said, she does very well on tests in general.  Me, not so much.  To my knowledge, now you have to pass the FE and get experience in the real world before being able to take the PE.

How exactly did your wife take the FE one day and the PE the next considering they are highly standarized tests only offered on Saturdays, and the fact you have to wait several months before getting the results to the FE. Just curious... ::).

Anyways, yes you have to work under a licensed professional engineer for four years in order to take the PE test. I don't work under a PE, so I'll never be getting a PE license I suppose.

billf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007, 02:09:32 pm »

How exactly did your wife take the FE one day and the PE the next considering they are highly standarized tests only offered on Saturdays, and the fact you have to wait several months before getting the results to the FE. Just curious... ::).

Anyways, yes you have to work under a licensed professional engineer for four years in order to take the PE test. I don't work under a PE, so I'll never be getting a PE license I suppose.

Different rules back when we were taking them.  Way back in the day (1988 or 89) when we took them, you could take the FE (it was called the EIT back then) on Thursday and the PE on Friday.  They've since added new rules for taking them that didn't apply to us back then.  She passed the exams, but then had to work for the 4 years experience, then pay the licensing fee.  After that she was a fully licensed practicing engineer

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »
The amount of self-pwnage on this thread has just been amazing.

I got a 37 on my ACT and a 1605 on SAT and I took them with my eyes closed.

1605 wasn't even possible until recently.  1600 was the max for a long, long time.

billf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:26 pm »
The amount of self-pwnage on this thread has just been amazing.

I got a 37 on my ACT and a 1605 on SAT and I took them with my eyes closed.

1605 wasn't even possible until recently.  1600 was the max for a long, long time.

He's being sarcastic.  A perfect score on the ACT is 36.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2007, 02:24:51 pm »

He gets a 45th percentile on his sarcasm section.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2007, 02:26:13 pm »
Side note:
Have you really made almost 400 post just in the last week or so Chad???
I could have swore you were right below 17000 just a few days ago. :o

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:26 pm »

I have no idea.  I don't keep track. 

I score 17000+ on the forum section.  That has to be passing.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2007, 02:33:34 pm »

I have no idea.  I don't keep track. 

I score 17000+ on the forum section.  That has to be passing.

Nope. Sorry, but that is more like bubbling in every single circle on a test. ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2007, 02:36:43 pm »

I have strong brand awareness?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2007, 04:16:10 pm »
Move to Texas, enroll at Texas A&M, take 9 hours a semester for 2 semesters and then 6 hours over the summer.  If you time it right, you'll be an "instate resident" for your sophomore year.

Don't get caught up on east coast crap.  A&M is top notch for engineering and math.

WHOOP!!!

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:06 pm »
I'm gonna throw some advice in here, USSE is gonna completely ignore it, and Tommy is gonna call me a big meany...

USSE, totally disregard everything about test scores, college classes, tuition costs. Once you finish your 5-6 years (or 10 years in pinballjim's case  ;) ) are you really going to want a career that focuses heavily on a subject that does not come naturally to you?

I scored very well on my entrance exams, but also struggled with the math. I *intended* to go in hard for a civil or mechanical engineering degree. I forced myself to get top scores in my college math classes. I actually  carried the curve in geometry and trig classes. I seriously busted ---my bottom--- to do it and was proud of the "win".

What I also learned was that having to constantly bust my hump to get through the math work was not fun. It made my job REALLY sucky and stressful... and I had the training to be really good at it. The bottom line is that it is not my natural talent and it was really stressing me out to consider the idea that I would spend my entire professional life doing math.

So... I pushed my career choice toward my natural talent. I'm good at visualization. I'm good at making things, I can see complex buildings in my head. I still use a huge amount of math, but it is not my primary focus. Because of my choice, I absolutely love what I do for a living, and I'm a natural at it. Plus it's a right fine way to make a very comfortable living.

I say all this simply to say that you have to look farther out in front of you than just getting through the classes in college. You need to soul search and find what you are naturally good at. I found that ability in a set of drafting classes that I took as a Junior and Senior in HS. I just didn't realize it until I had already hammered 2 years into College taking that damnable math schedule. Maybe you aspire to crunch numbers all day. I doubt it though, based on your comments and scores up to this point.

My 2 pennies.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
Just a few added notes...

I am not a draftsman by trade. I did spend several years weilding that sword but I have moved on. I now spend my time telling those fancy engineers and architects how to actually build those buildings that they cannot figure out on their own, and what it's gonna cost to do it. It's a lot of fun to poke at 'em while I'm doing it.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2007, 08:14:55 pm »
Just a few added notes...

I am not a draftsman by trade. I did spend several years weilding that sword but I have moved on. I now spend my time telling those fancy engineers and architects how to actually build those buildings that they cannot figure out on their own, and what it's gonna cost to do it. It's a lot of fun to poke at 'em while I'm doing it.

Big Meany!!!

That Nos...he's just mean!

;)