Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grrr...SAT Scores...  (Read 25789 times)

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
Grrr...SAT Scores...
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:17:32 am »
Just got them back from College Board today. Not especially happy. Got a total of 1640 out of 2400, so in other words, a 67th percentile overall. Its enough to get into Rowan, which is where I want to go, but I was still hoping for a higher score. Did the poorest in Math with 50%, all right in critical reading with a 68%, and a 71% in writing with an 8 out of 12 on the essay. I wanted to do well on math more than anything, since what I'd really like to do is either go into engineering or become a high school teacher, later on in life. I guess I'll retake it in June. Maybe I'll take the College Board online course in the interim.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Grrr...SAT Scores...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:29:25 am »

When did they redo the SAT structure?  1600 used to be perfect.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:12:48 pm »
From what my teacher told me, the wretched state of California forced them to add a writing section to the test because it was somehow unfair to minorities. Screw California!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:19:57 pm by USSEnterprise »
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
From what my teacher told me, the wretched state of California forced them to add a writing section to the test because it was somehow unfair to minorities. Screw California!

So, you did BEST on the writing portion that they added because of California and STILL say screw California ?

I'm wondering how you managed on the critical reading section with logic processes like that ...

:dunno
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:57:33 pm »
Why are you going to Rowan if you want to be an engineer?
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:16:24 pm »
I want to stay in state so I don't have to pay a few $$$$ extra. That knocks it down to:
TCNJ - Good engineering and teaching, but again, high SAT requirements.
Rowan - Cheap, good reputation, especially if I do decide to become a teacher
NJIT - SAT Scores need to be very high, located in a ---smurfy--- area
Rutgers New Brunswick - Offers pretty much anything I could want as a major, but I don't want to be tempted to be constantly switching my major.

All of the above offer Engineering and general science majors, so I could potentially go to any, but since I really am leaning toward a teaching career as of late, Rowan is looking good.

I'd like to try for RPI or Seton Hall, but at 40k a year, it does not seem likely.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
I'm amazed TCNJ has high SAT requirements. When they do the news reports on their radio station, most read at about an 8th grade level.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:48:16 pm »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... :dizzy:

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:23:12 pm »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... ???

you mean fail.  you arent a teacher are you?  ;)
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »
I want to stay in state so I don't have to pay a few $$$$ extra. That knocks it down to:
TCNJ - Good engineering and teaching, but again, high SAT requirements.
Rowan - Cheap, good reputation, especially if I do decide to become a teacher
NJIT - SAT Scores need to be very high, located in a ---smurfy--- area
Rutgers New Brunswick - Offers pretty much anything I could want as a major, but I don't want to be tempted to be constantly switching my major.

All of the above offer Engineering and general science majors, so I could potentially go to any, but since I really am leaning toward a teaching career as of late, Rowan is looking good.

I'd like to try for RPI or Seton Hall, but at 40k a year, it does not seem likely.

NJIT does not have very high SAT requirements.  You should really look into it... and it's not a bad area.  Don't fall into the "oh no its Newark" BS that everyone wants you to believe.  I lived there for 13 years.

Don't discount schools for cost either... wait to see what you get in financial aid.  I would never have considered my school if I just looked at the bottom line price.  I wouldn't be here if I had to pay full cost.

RPI is a stretch with your grades, but there are a lot of good schools that you could potentially get into in the area.  I wanted to stay in the area as well.

And "tempted to switch majors" is a stupid reason to discount a school.. sorry.  Just because there are a lot of majors doesn't mean you'll switch.  My school offers biomedical engineering and other crazy degrees that I could never do myself.... didn't make me want to change just cuz it was there.  Plus you don't even have to declare at most schools for the first 2 years... just take classes.

Go look at Rutgers and NJIT.
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:55:04 pm »
You are right about NJIT in relation to SAT. I was thinking of TCNJ, which has high requirements.
You're probably right that I should mainly look at Rutgers and NJIT. NJIT would be pretty much perfect. I'm just not a city person.
However, according to collegeboard.com, only 80% of students return for a sophomore year, whereas all the other schools I looked at, that number was in the 90's.
Rutgers, well, it would be okay, but everyone goes to Rutgers. I know, I know,   it could be worse, but with an enrollment of over 30,000 in New Brunswick alone, its just too many people.
I guess if I really look, I'll find faults with all the schools I want to attend. I just want to go where I know that I really will be happy with it, and won't end up with major regrets later on in life.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:31:32 am »
I know what you mean with Rutgers.  A large part of why I didn't go there was simply the size.  It came down to the fact that I thought I could get a better education elsewhere, but the size was definitely a consideration.  I wound up at Stevens which is roughly a tenth the size of Rutgers NB heh, and I really like the fact that it is not as large of a campus.

Also, don't focus on retention rates either.  Every engineering/technical college will have lower retention rates.  At one point in my college career, Stevens was only seeing about 60% of first year students come back... a lot of people just can't hack the workloads.  Schools with liberal arts majors and what not will have much higher retention rates, because even if kids can't hack it, they can transfer to an "easier' major.

And you're right, you WILL find faults in every school... but that's ok.  I'm a firm believer that once you find the right school, you will know it.  I applied to a lot of schools, and was lucky enough to get into all but one.  I thought it'd take forever to decide, but once I visited every one and really thought about it, the decision came easy.  Most everyone I've ever talked to said the same thing.  Just don't count out schools for dumb reasons like you've been mentioning.  Think of size and costs and retention rates... but get all the info before you say "no"
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:43 am »
Also, don't focus on retention rates either.  Every engineering/technical college will have lower retention rates.  At one point in my college career, Stevens was only seeing about 60% of first year students come back... a lot of people just can't hack the workloads.  Schools with liberal arts majors and what not will have much higher retention rates, because even if kids can't hack it, they can transfer to an "easier' major.
From what I was seeing on collegeboard, that's not really the case. Granted, the schools I'm using for comparison are some of the best for engineering, however, they are also likely some of the most challenging.
MIT has 98% retention
RPI has 94% retention
NJIT has 80% retention.

Now that I check it out, Stevens looks like a good school. Holy crap, though. Tuition is through the roof, about as much as MIT, and my GPA probably isn't high enough for any kind of financial aid, even if my SAT scores met their requirements in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:04:29 am by USSEnterprise »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 02:08:55 am »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... :dizzy:

Hehe, don't worry. The 50% people are the ones who enroll in Engineering, flunk out, and switch to business. I would say my freshman Mech. engineering group was about 100...10 of us graduated...5 barely.
You gotta be damn good at math, or hope your school has a joke of a math department. ;D
Just a note if you are seriously considering Engineering, make sure you know your Algebra and Trig backwards and forwards before starting your Calculus classes.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:18 am »
Hah, Texas!
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
You gotta be damn good at math, or hope your school has a joke of a math department. Grin
Just a note if you are seriously considering Engineering, make sure you know your Algebra and Trig backwards and forwards before starting your Calculus classes.
I'm pretty good with algebra. Taking 2 now. Taking Trig 1 and Precalc next year. All I remember of trig from Geometry is SOHCAHTOA. Thats pretty much it as of now ???

And I would never even make an attempt with mechanical engineering. I can barely cut MDF for an arcade cabinet. I plan on my major being one of four things:
Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

Now for all of them, I'm really gonna have to get a lot better in math, but I think I can do it if I really give it my all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:15:44 am by USSEnterprise »

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 02:15:09 am »
Check retention on just engineering majors if its possible.  That's the numbers I was talking about.... Stevens for instance has a really nice retention rate now due in no small part to its expansion in the business program.  MIT has a good business program as well, which many students move to after deciding engineering isn't for them.

Again though, retention rates aren't really a big deal. Do YOU plan to keep your major? Then it's irrelevant.  Retention rates very rarely clue you in on a "bad" school.. its much more often a "hard" school or a very specialized school where students tend to leave instead of switch majors.

As for Stevens, I think it's an excellent school.  I love it here, and fully believe that my major and my being at Stevens helped me to get the job I received.  My soon-to-be employer also all but said it was my business and technical backing that got me the specific position I got, as opposed to other candidates.  It IS very expensive though, but being a private school, there are a lot of scholarship options.  Obviously I know next to nothing about your grades and your family situation, so I can't say much, but I will say there is a lot of money to be given out here if you look.

If you happen to have any questions about the school let me know.  I also have a few very good friends at TCNJ and NJIT if you have questions about those schools as well.  My sister is looking at colleges right now as well, so I've been giving her lots of info and people to contact recently.  If you need to find out about Rutgers, just go outside and ask someone... you'll find an alum in 5 mins :)
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 02:20:05 am »
Right now, my GPA is about a 2.7, and my parents have saved up over the past 17 years about 40k for each myself and my brother to use for college. So one way or another, I'm going to need financial aid or student loans.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 02:25:32 am »
50th percentile in math and a 2.7 GPA.....Please don't become a teacher....pretty please?

::)

Samstag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 02:33:52 am »
Move to Texas, enroll at Texas A&M, take 9 hours a semester for 2 semesters and then 6 hours over the summer.  If you time it right, you'll be an "instate resident" for your sophomore year.

But he said he wanted an engineering major.  Unless something's changed in the past 10 years, the first year of engineering at A&M is more commonly known as "pre-business".  ;)

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:35:54 am »
Shut the hell up Boykster!
 :censored:
All I did was state my GPA and my SAT score. Neither necessarily reflects my intelligence to its full extent. You don't know anything else about my background, and therefore have no right to make idiotic judgments like that.

As for pinballjim, I laugh at the idea of going anywhere near Texas. I'm not laughing specifically at A&M. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that A&M is an excellent school, for anyone who chooses to live in Texas.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:40:23 am by USSEnterprise »

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 02:38:35 am »
jeebus, I just read some of the posts I skimmed....you're mediocre at best at mathematics and science, and you want to major in

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math.  

Nothing personal, but if math isn't your strong point, then I really wouldn't suggest any of those 4 majors.  

boykster - "biochemist turned computer guy"

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 02:41:28 am »
All I did was state my GPA and my SAT score. Neither necessarily reflects my intelligence to its full extent. You don't know anything else about my background, and therefore have no right to make idiotic judgments like that.

eh, with those creds, you're one of 2 things:

1) inadequately prepared to tackle a major/profession that relies heavily on mathematics

2) a smart slacker, which also makes you inadequately prepared to tackle a major/profession that relies heavily on mathematics.

-boykster - "been there done that, got the t-shirt"

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 02:45:15 am »
How the ---fudgesicle--- are you to judge me in my understanding of science? Did I ever mention a standardized test score or grade I received in a science course?
And just to let you know, when I took the SAT, I still hadn't taken Algerba II yet. I'm in the process of taking it now, and by the June SAT, I hopefully will have it absorbed to some extent, and will hopefully do better on the tests. Now, if I don't do any better, may my dreams of actually doing what I want to in life be flushed down the toilet. But until that happens, if it happens, shut the ---fudgesicle--- up!

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 02:47:04 am »
As for pinballjim, I laugh at the idea of going anywhere near Texas. I'm not laughing specifically at A&M. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that A&M is an excellent school, for anyone who chooses to live in Texas.

You do realize that the "classrom" education is really only 1/2, if that, of the education you get "learned" at college.  Experiencing new things, learning to develop and operate outside of your "comfort zone", and frankly the only important think I think formal education brings -> learning how to really, and i mean really "think".

Seriously, I wish you well, but I'm not one of those "glass is always full, even if it's not" kind of people.  I don't believe that everyone is exceptional, just in their own way, or that we should reward mediocrity.  Take the best advantage of the opportunity of higher education.

-boykster "smarter than the average bear"

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 02:49:35 am »
How the ---fudgesicle--- are you to judge me in my understanding of science? Did I ever mention a standardized test score or grade I received in a science course?
And just to let you know, when I took the SAT, I still hadn't taken Algerba II yet. I'm in the process of taking it now, and by the June SAT, I hopefully will have it absorbed to some extent, and will hopefully do better on the tests. Now, if I don't do any better, may my dreams of actually doing what I want to in life be flushed down the toilet. But until that happens, if it happens, shut the ---fudgesicle--- up!

So you're a junior taking algebra II?  No calculus?

just asking.....

Good luck with this....

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 02:55:12 am »
My high school requires a minimum of 3 math classes to graduate. By the time I have graduated, I will have taken 5 (Alg 1 freshman, Geom Sophomore, Alg 2 Junior, and Precalc and Trig Senior.) I wasn't allowed to go right into Geometry as I had wished to from Middle School because I missed the placement test, so they automatically shoved me into Alg 1. Otherwise, I'd already be in Trig now, and be ready to take Calculus 1 second half of senior year.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 03:07:15 am »
Well, in all seriousness, the hardest part of calculus is the algebra required to manipulate things prior to applying calculus.  Or the trig.  same thing.  So, learn the algebra and trig, and really pay attention to the applied math portion.  "story problems" as they called them when I was a youngun.  If you can do the math, that's great, but if you can't apply it, then it's worthless.  The algebra/trig required in calculus/physics/chemistry (yes, there is a TON of math in chemistry) is all applied mathematics.  You won't be presented a setup math problem.  You'll be presented information, and you will have to determine how to solve it.

c'est la vie

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:31 am »
jeebus, I just read some of the posts I skimmed....you're mediocre at best at mathematics and science, and you want to major in

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math. 

Nothing personal, but if math isn't your strong point, then I really wouldn't suggest any of those 4 majors. 

boykster - "biochemist turned computer guy"

Wasn't math a large part in why the "Hey can I borrow your classic arcade machine to see if it'll fit in my basement" thread was necessary?

Just sayin...

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 06:30:29 am »
1once in 3rd grade I got a gold star on some coloring assignment.... It didn't help me get into college  :dunno

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:55 am »

Once again, you throw this stuff out for discussion and advice and, when the advice doesn't suit you, you say STFU.

How's that working out for you so far ?

News flash -- those commenting in this thread have actually been through the process. You are trying to explain stuff that you have heard about on the innernets and we already know in real life.

You definitely need tons of math help before considering those fields of study (I studied math and physics and my brother has his PhD in chem, as well as his teaching creds) -- if you really are serious, stop posting about it and GET THAT HELP IMMEDIATELY.

Cheers

tommy

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
Talk about trampling all over a guys dreams.  ;D

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 11:04:18 am »
1once in 3rd grade I got a gold star on some coloring assignment.... It didn't help me get into college  :dunno
But it did help you build that wonderful yellow cab ;)
Now in a tasty new flavour.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 12:03:50 pm »

Once again, you throw this stuff out for discussion and advice and, when the advice doesn't suit you, you say STFU.

Because the advice is to give up on what I really want to do in life. If you really wanted to do something in life, and someone told you that you shouldn't or couldn't, how would you feel? Pissed at said person at all?

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:23 pm »

Because the advice is to give up on what I really want to do in life. If you really wanted to do something in life, and someone told you that you shouldn't or couldn't, how would you feel? Pissed at said person at all?

It's all right to be pissed, but remember that YOU invited the discussion, he has a VALID point AND you never seem to be willing to actually TAKE the steps necessary. You sit around and rationalize things so that they fit the path of least resistance and then you ---smurfette--- about the stupid system or your stupid luck or the stupid people who post in your threads.

If you want to achieve your dreams and avoid the criticisms, you need to start DOING things (like getting math help NOW) instead of POSTING about them.

If you want people to respect your dreams, give them something to respect -- get up and get it done -- this is more important than some stupid car or fitting an arcade machine into your basement (or even free shipping!), so hopefully you'll take it more seriously than you did those endeavours.

Cheers.

tommy

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:23 pm »
He never invited ass hats to comment here.

No sensor on those words?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:40:16 pm by tommy »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:21 pm »
He never invited ---missioncontrols--- to comment here.

Anything posted in PnR or EE is a battleground for ridicule

:dizzy:

tommy

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 12:44:01 pm »
I tried to sensor words the forum did not sensor, don't quote that.

Way to go and take two separate posts and take them put of context as you always do, ass hat.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 12:45:04 pm »
 :laugh2:

tommy

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 12:47:15 pm »
I'm glad my words are law to him and he applies them to everyday life though.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »
If you think the comments have been tough up until now, wait until Drew takes a break from mowing some rich guys 5 acre lawn. ;D

PS: That's not an open invitation to Drew. Like he needs one anyway.