Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grrr...SAT Scores...  (Read 26172 times)

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
Grrr...SAT Scores...
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:17:32 am »
Just got them back from College Board today. Not especially happy. Got a total of 1640 out of 2400, so in other words, a 67th percentile overall. Its enough to get into Rowan, which is where I want to go, but I was still hoping for a higher score. Did the poorest in Math with 50%, all right in critical reading with a 68%, and a 71% in writing with an 8 out of 12 on the essay. I wanted to do well on math more than anything, since what I'd really like to do is either go into engineering or become a high school teacher, later on in life. I guess I'll retake it in June. Maybe I'll take the College Board online course in the interim.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Grrr...SAT Scores...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:29:25 am »

When did they redo the SAT structure?  1600 used to be perfect.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:12:48 pm »
From what my teacher told me, the wretched state of California forced them to add a writing section to the test because it was somehow unfair to minorities. Screw California!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:19:57 pm by USSEnterprise »
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
From what my teacher told me, the wretched state of California forced them to add a writing section to the test because it was somehow unfair to minorities. Screw California!

So, you did BEST on the writing portion that they added because of California and STILL say screw California ?

I'm wondering how you managed on the critical reading section with logic processes like that ...

:dunno
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:57:33 pm »
Why are you going to Rowan if you want to be an engineer?
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:16:24 pm »
I want to stay in state so I don't have to pay a few $$$$ extra. That knocks it down to:
TCNJ - Good engineering and teaching, but again, high SAT requirements.
Rowan - Cheap, good reputation, especially if I do decide to become a teacher
NJIT - SAT Scores need to be very high, located in a ---smurfy--- area
Rutgers New Brunswick - Offers pretty much anything I could want as a major, but I don't want to be tempted to be constantly switching my major.

All of the above offer Engineering and general science majors, so I could potentially go to any, but since I really am leaning toward a teaching career as of late, Rowan is looking good.

I'd like to try for RPI or Seton Hall, but at 40k a year, it does not seem likely.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
I'm amazed TCNJ has high SAT requirements. When they do the news reports on their radio station, most read at about an 8th grade level.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:48:16 pm »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... :dizzy:

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:23:12 pm »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... ???

you mean fail.  you arent a teacher are you?  ;)
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »
I want to stay in state so I don't have to pay a few $$$$ extra. That knocks it down to:
TCNJ - Good engineering and teaching, but again, high SAT requirements.
Rowan - Cheap, good reputation, especially if I do decide to become a teacher
NJIT - SAT Scores need to be very high, located in a ---smurfy--- area
Rutgers New Brunswick - Offers pretty much anything I could want as a major, but I don't want to be tempted to be constantly switching my major.

All of the above offer Engineering and general science majors, so I could potentially go to any, but since I really am leaning toward a teaching career as of late, Rowan is looking good.

I'd like to try for RPI or Seton Hall, but at 40k a year, it does not seem likely.

NJIT does not have very high SAT requirements.  You should really look into it... and it's not a bad area.  Don't fall into the "oh no its Newark" BS that everyone wants you to believe.  I lived there for 13 years.

Don't discount schools for cost either... wait to see what you get in financial aid.  I would never have considered my school if I just looked at the bottom line price.  I wouldn't be here if I had to pay full cost.

RPI is a stretch with your grades, but there are a lot of good schools that you could potentially get into in the area.  I wanted to stay in the area as well.

And "tempted to switch majors" is a stupid reason to discount a school.. sorry.  Just because there are a lot of majors doesn't mean you'll switch.  My school offers biomedical engineering and other crazy degrees that I could never do myself.... didn't make me want to change just cuz it was there.  Plus you don't even have to declare at most schools for the first 2 years... just take classes.

Go look at Rutgers and NJIT.
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:55:04 pm »
You are right about NJIT in relation to SAT. I was thinking of TCNJ, which has high requirements.
You're probably right that I should mainly look at Rutgers and NJIT. NJIT would be pretty much perfect. I'm just not a city person.
However, according to collegeboard.com, only 80% of students return for a sophomore year, whereas all the other schools I looked at, that number was in the 90's.
Rutgers, well, it would be okay, but everyone goes to Rutgers. I know, I know,   it could be worse, but with an enrollment of over 30,000 in New Brunswick alone, its just too many people.
I guess if I really look, I'll find faults with all the schools I want to attend. I just want to go where I know that I really will be happy with it, and won't end up with major regrets later on in life.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:31:32 am »
I know what you mean with Rutgers.  A large part of why I didn't go there was simply the size.  It came down to the fact that I thought I could get a better education elsewhere, but the size was definitely a consideration.  I wound up at Stevens which is roughly a tenth the size of Rutgers NB heh, and I really like the fact that it is not as large of a campus.

Also, don't focus on retention rates either.  Every engineering/technical college will have lower retention rates.  At one point in my college career, Stevens was only seeing about 60% of first year students come back... a lot of people just can't hack the workloads.  Schools with liberal arts majors and what not will have much higher retention rates, because even if kids can't hack it, they can transfer to an "easier' major.

And you're right, you WILL find faults in every school... but that's ok.  I'm a firm believer that once you find the right school, you will know it.  I applied to a lot of schools, and was lucky enough to get into all but one.  I thought it'd take forever to decide, but once I visited every one and really thought about it, the decision came easy.  Most everyone I've ever talked to said the same thing.  Just don't count out schools for dumb reasons like you've been mentioning.  Think of size and costs and retention rates... but get all the info before you say "no"
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:43 am »
Also, don't focus on retention rates either.  Every engineering/technical college will have lower retention rates.  At one point in my college career, Stevens was only seeing about 60% of first year students come back... a lot of people just can't hack the workloads.  Schools with liberal arts majors and what not will have much higher retention rates, because even if kids can't hack it, they can transfer to an "easier' major.
From what I was seeing on collegeboard, that's not really the case. Granted, the schools I'm using for comparison are some of the best for engineering, however, they are also likely some of the most challenging.
MIT has 98% retention
RPI has 94% retention
NJIT has 80% retention.

Now that I check it out, Stevens looks like a good school. Holy crap, though. Tuition is through the roof, about as much as MIT, and my GPA probably isn't high enough for any kind of financial aid, even if my SAT scores met their requirements in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:04:29 am by USSEnterprise »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 02:08:55 am »
Just what the country needs more engineers and teachers who fall in the 50% percentile in mathematics.... :dizzy:

Hehe, don't worry. The 50% people are the ones who enroll in Engineering, flunk out, and switch to business. I would say my freshman Mech. engineering group was about 100...10 of us graduated...5 barely.
You gotta be damn good at math, or hope your school has a joke of a math department. ;D
Just a note if you are seriously considering Engineering, make sure you know your Algebra and Trig backwards and forwards before starting your Calculus classes.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:18 am »
Hah, Texas!
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
You gotta be damn good at math, or hope your school has a joke of a math department. Grin
Just a note if you are seriously considering Engineering, make sure you know your Algebra and Trig backwards and forwards before starting your Calculus classes.
I'm pretty good with algebra. Taking 2 now. Taking Trig 1 and Precalc next year. All I remember of trig from Geometry is SOHCAHTOA. Thats pretty much it as of now ???

And I would never even make an attempt with mechanical engineering. I can barely cut MDF for an arcade cabinet. I plan on my major being one of four things:
Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

Now for all of them, I'm really gonna have to get a lot better in math, but I think I can do it if I really give it my all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:15:44 am by USSEnterprise »

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 02:15:09 am »
Check retention on just engineering majors if its possible.  That's the numbers I was talking about.... Stevens for instance has a really nice retention rate now due in no small part to its expansion in the business program.  MIT has a good business program as well, which many students move to after deciding engineering isn't for them.

Again though, retention rates aren't really a big deal. Do YOU plan to keep your major? Then it's irrelevant.  Retention rates very rarely clue you in on a "bad" school.. its much more often a "hard" school or a very specialized school where students tend to leave instead of switch majors.

As for Stevens, I think it's an excellent school.  I love it here, and fully believe that my major and my being at Stevens helped me to get the job I received.  My soon-to-be employer also all but said it was my business and technical backing that got me the specific position I got, as opposed to other candidates.  It IS very expensive though, but being a private school, there are a lot of scholarship options.  Obviously I know next to nothing about your grades and your family situation, so I can't say much, but I will say there is a lot of money to be given out here if you look.

If you happen to have any questions about the school let me know.  I also have a few very good friends at TCNJ and NJIT if you have questions about those schools as well.  My sister is looking at colleges right now as well, so I've been giving her lots of info and people to contact recently.  If you need to find out about Rutgers, just go outside and ask someone... you'll find an alum in 5 mins :)
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 02:20:05 am »
Right now, my GPA is about a 2.7, and my parents have saved up over the past 17 years about 40k for each myself and my brother to use for college. So one way or another, I'm going to need financial aid or student loans.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 02:25:32 am »
50th percentile in math and a 2.7 GPA.....Please don't become a teacher....pretty please?

::)

Samstag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 02:33:52 am »
Move to Texas, enroll at Texas A&M, take 9 hours a semester for 2 semesters and then 6 hours over the summer.  If you time it right, you'll be an "instate resident" for your sophomore year.

But he said he wanted an engineering major.  Unless something's changed in the past 10 years, the first year of engineering at A&M is more commonly known as "pre-business".  ;)

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:35:54 am »
Shut the hell up Boykster!
 :censored:
All I did was state my GPA and my SAT score. Neither necessarily reflects my intelligence to its full extent. You don't know anything else about my background, and therefore have no right to make idiotic judgments like that.

As for pinballjim, I laugh at the idea of going anywhere near Texas. I'm not laughing specifically at A&M. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that A&M is an excellent school, for anyone who chooses to live in Texas.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:40:23 am by USSEnterprise »

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 02:38:35 am »
jeebus, I just read some of the posts I skimmed....you're mediocre at best at mathematics and science, and you want to major in

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math.  

Nothing personal, but if math isn't your strong point, then I really wouldn't suggest any of those 4 majors.  

boykster - "biochemist turned computer guy"

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 02:41:28 am »
All I did was state my GPA and my SAT score. Neither necessarily reflects my intelligence to its full extent. You don't know anything else about my background, and therefore have no right to make idiotic judgments like that.

eh, with those creds, you're one of 2 things:

1) inadequately prepared to tackle a major/profession that relies heavily on mathematics

2) a smart slacker, which also makes you inadequately prepared to tackle a major/profession that relies heavily on mathematics.

-boykster - "been there done that, got the t-shirt"

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 02:45:15 am »
How the ---fudgesicle--- are you to judge me in my understanding of science? Did I ever mention a standardized test score or grade I received in a science course?
And just to let you know, when I took the SAT, I still hadn't taken Algerba II yet. I'm in the process of taking it now, and by the June SAT, I hopefully will have it absorbed to some extent, and will hopefully do better on the tests. Now, if I don't do any better, may my dreams of actually doing what I want to in life be flushed down the toilet. But until that happens, if it happens, shut the ---fudgesicle--- up!

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 02:47:04 am »
As for pinballjim, I laugh at the idea of going anywhere near Texas. I'm not laughing specifically at A&M. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that A&M is an excellent school, for anyone who chooses to live in Texas.

You do realize that the "classrom" education is really only 1/2, if that, of the education you get "learned" at college.  Experiencing new things, learning to develop and operate outside of your "comfort zone", and frankly the only important think I think formal education brings -> learning how to really, and i mean really "think".

Seriously, I wish you well, but I'm not one of those "glass is always full, even if it's not" kind of people.  I don't believe that everyone is exceptional, just in their own way, or that we should reward mediocrity.  Take the best advantage of the opportunity of higher education.

-boykster "smarter than the average bear"

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 02:49:35 am »
How the ---fudgesicle--- are you to judge me in my understanding of science? Did I ever mention a standardized test score or grade I received in a science course?
And just to let you know, when I took the SAT, I still hadn't taken Algerba II yet. I'm in the process of taking it now, and by the June SAT, I hopefully will have it absorbed to some extent, and will hopefully do better on the tests. Now, if I don't do any better, may my dreams of actually doing what I want to in life be flushed down the toilet. But until that happens, if it happens, shut the ---fudgesicle--- up!

So you're a junior taking algebra II?  No calculus?

just asking.....

Good luck with this....

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 02:55:12 am »
My high school requires a minimum of 3 math classes to graduate. By the time I have graduated, I will have taken 5 (Alg 1 freshman, Geom Sophomore, Alg 2 Junior, and Precalc and Trig Senior.) I wasn't allowed to go right into Geometry as I had wished to from Middle School because I missed the placement test, so they automatically shoved me into Alg 1. Otherwise, I'd already be in Trig now, and be ready to take Calculus 1 second half of senior year.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 03:07:15 am »
Well, in all seriousness, the hardest part of calculus is the algebra required to manipulate things prior to applying calculus.  Or the trig.  same thing.  So, learn the algebra and trig, and really pay attention to the applied math portion.  "story problems" as they called them when I was a youngun.  If you can do the math, that's great, but if you can't apply it, then it's worthless.  The algebra/trig required in calculus/physics/chemistry (yes, there is a TON of math in chemistry) is all applied mathematics.  You won't be presented a setup math problem.  You'll be presented information, and you will have to determine how to solve it.

c'est la vie

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:31 am »
jeebus, I just read some of the posts I skimmed....you're mediocre at best at mathematics and science, and you want to major in

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math. 

Nothing personal, but if math isn't your strong point, then I really wouldn't suggest any of those 4 majors. 

Wasn't math a large part in why the "Hey can I borrow your classic arcade machine to see if it'll fit in my basement" thread was necessary?

Just sayin...

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 06:30:29 am »
1once in 3rd grade I got a gold star on some coloring assignment.... It didn't help me get into college  :dunno

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:55 am »

Once again, you throw this stuff out for discussion and advice and, when the advice doesn't suit you, you say STFU.

How's that working out for you so far ?

News flash -- those commenting in this thread have actually been through the process. You are trying to explain stuff that you have heard about on the innernets and we already know in real life.

You definitely need tons of math help before considering those fields of study (I studied math and physics and my brother has his PhD in chem, as well as his teaching creds) -- if you really are serious, stop posting about it and GET THAT HELP IMMEDIATELY.

Cheers

tommy

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
Talk about trampling all over a guys dreams.  ;D

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 11:04:18 am »
1once in 3rd grade I got a gold star on some coloring assignment.... It didn't help me get into college  :dunno
But it did help you build that wonderful yellow cab ;)
Now in a tasty new flavour.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 12:03:50 pm »

Once again, you throw this stuff out for discussion and advice and, when the advice doesn't suit you, you say STFU.

Because the advice is to give up on what I really want to do in life. If you really wanted to do something in life, and someone told you that you shouldn't or couldn't, how would you feel? Pissed at said person at all?

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:23 pm »

Because the advice is to give up on what I really want to do in life. If you really wanted to do something in life, and someone told you that you shouldn't or couldn't, how would you feel? Pissed at said person at all?

It's all right to be pissed, but remember that YOU invited the discussion, he has a VALID point AND you never seem to be willing to actually TAKE the steps necessary. You sit around and rationalize things so that they fit the path of least resistance and then you ---smurfette--- about the stupid system or your stupid luck or the stupid people who post in your threads.

If you want to achieve your dreams and avoid the criticisms, you need to start DOING things (like getting math help NOW) instead of POSTING about them.

If you want people to respect your dreams, give them something to respect -- get up and get it done -- this is more important than some stupid car or fitting an arcade machine into your basement (or even free shipping!), so hopefully you'll take it more seriously than you did those endeavours.

Cheers.

tommy

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:23 pm »
He never invited ass hats to comment here.

No sensor on those words?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:40:16 pm by tommy »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:21 pm »
He never invited ---missioncontrols--- to comment here.

Anything posted in PnR or EE is a battleground for ridicule

:dizzy:

tommy

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 12:44:01 pm »
I tried to sensor words the forum did not sensor, don't quote that.

Way to go and take two separate posts and take them put of context as you always do, ass hat.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 12:45:04 pm »
 :laugh2:

tommy

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 12:47:15 pm »
I'm glad my words are law to him and he applies them to everyday life though.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »
If you think the comments have been tough up until now, wait until Drew takes a break from mowing some rich guys 5 acre lawn. ;D

PS: That's not an open invitation to Drew. Like he needs one anyway.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 12:52:19 pm »
Way to go and take two separate posts and take them put of context as you always do, ass hat.

Um ... yes ?

:dizzy: :dizzy:

tommy

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 12:57:25 pm »
Go ____ your mudda cheffo.  ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »
Go ____ your mudda cheffo.  ;D

Now that's just not a nice thing to say ... but at least it made sense, which is new.

Cheers.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 01:00:44 pm »
I wouldn't underline my mudda either. :dunno

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 01:12:07 pm »
Back to the subject at hand:

First off, check entrance requirments to the college of Engineering at the schools you wish to attend. Their entrance requirements are ALWAYS higher than the school requirements. I believe just to get in my school required a 3.0 HS GPA and a certain ACT score, but I don't remember which.

Secondly, Boykster is being a little on the harsh side, but he's just messing with - you nothing to get upset about. Taking calculus in High school is a complete waste of time. The class is a joke and barely covers the first few weeks of a college Calculus I class. Concentrate on Algebra and Trig. Take advanced Algebra and Trig if you can. I have known several people that thought they were hot ---Cleveland steamer--- for taking calculus in High school, just to flunk their first year college math.

If you aren't very good at math, you can still do it but be prepared to have a tutor, work your butt off, and have several mental breakdowns.

Lastly, the "be good at word problems" comment someone made is VERY VERY true. Every test you get in engineering, each problem will be one massive word problem.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:16:15 pm by shardian »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 01:22:10 pm »

Electrical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
General Chemistry
General Physics

That's a joke right? You'll actually do MORE math with any of those 4 majors than if you were a mathematics major, trust me.  Math majors work with mathematics theory, physics/chem/engineers do a LOT of applied mathematics.  And we're not talking balance your checkbook, or find the area of the circle kind of math.  

I was just skimming over this thread and noticed this post and it is absolutely correct.  If you don't love doing math and/or find highschool math to be easy, then I wouldn't recommend those majors.  I thought high school math was easy, including the honors calculus class I took senior year, but the math classes in college were much much harder.  I was a comp sci major (which had an over 50% drop out rate) which had a lot of math, but one of my friends was a Chem E major, and that major in particular was possibly the hardest major in my school.

I'm not saying to not do those majors if its what you want to do, but just be prepared for a lot of very difficult math if you do go with it.  

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 01:32:52 pm »
I know that I am going to have to really start moving when it comes to math. Like I said, the main reason I believe I didn't do well on the SAT in math is because I had not taken Algebra II at the time. By the time the June SAT comes around, I will have taken almost the whole class, and should have a somewhat better understanding of it.
SAT only covers Alg1, Geometry, and Alg 2, so iof I really am learning this stuff, I shouldn't have too much of a problem

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 01:40:34 pm »
But it did help you build that wonderful yellow cab ;)

if by build you mean have started yet never completed, then why yes it did help me built it  ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 01:54:25 pm »

If you're taking the SATs now, the time to start moving on math was 2 years ago.  Now you're 2 years behind.

BTW, there is a lot of math classes in CMPSCI, but not a ton of math in the field, compared to the other majors mentioned.

tommy

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:10 pm »
Just do what you feel is best for you in you're life, nevermind what anyone else says USS.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2007, 02:13:15 pm »
Just do what you feel is best for you in you're life, nevermind what anyone else says USS.

Does that include underlining his mother ?

tommy

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 02:16:15 pm »

I'd like to see you outside so we can have a little conversation.  ;)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2007, 02:18:10 pm »

I'd like to see you outside so we can have a little conversation.  ;)

AGAIN with the Innernet Tuff Ghey act ?

I'm guessing that the conversation won't be the only thing little about you ...

:P

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:16 pm »

Don't know how tough he seems to be, he keeps asking you to go outside for a snog.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:41 pm »
Alright, I admit I came across a bit harsh, but many of the points I made are valid.  Do some serious research about what those majors entail and if you really want to go down that road because YOU want to, or because you heard that they were a good thing to do.  When I was an undergrad, it was right in the biotech boom push of the early 90's, and nearly EVERYBODY wanted to study biochemistry.  the previous year there were 25 biochem majors, my freshman year that ballooned to 200+.  How many graduated from that class in biochem?  About 20.

Don't discount a major because it has a lot of math, but be prepared for a lot of work if that is something you struggle with.  I'm really quite good at math, but I can't memorize to save my life.  Mnemonic devices don't work, etc etc., so I really struggled with a lot of the life sciences that rely heavily on memorizing names/systems/etc.  I shifted my focus to a more analytical side of biochemistry, dealing more with the fundamental chemistry than its application systemically and did much better.  P.chem, physics, and biochemistry are really the same field, just different applications of the same principles.  

I agree with the previous posters comments about pre-picking a fallback major, as well as not being to ambitious your first quarter/semester.  And I will re-iterate my comment about applied math (story problems).  THOSE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT problems.  You need to be able to read the problem and start formulating how to set it up mathematically.  

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:34:41 pm by boykster »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »
Don't know how tough he seems to be, he keeps asking you to go outside for a snog.

My response still holds then, doesn't it ?

tommy

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 04:39:40 pm »
I must say, this guy cheffo is a real loser to have on this forum. The guy follows you around taking things you say anywhere on the board and quoting them in any given thread at any giving time to make himself look like a cool guy/ass wipe, it's just pathetic

I bet he felt like a big man telling a young guy that his college dreams and tests were worth nothing and he should just crawl up and die instead of chasing his dreams.

Anyway, how did that thing work out before that i told you to go and do? Keep me posted.  ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 05:25:35 pm »
I must say, this guy cheffo is a real loser to have on this forum. The guy follows you around taking things you say anywhere on the board and quoting them in any given thread at any giving time to make himself look like a cool guy/ass wipe, it's just pathetic

I bet he felt like a big man telling a young guy that his college dreams and tests were worth nothing and he should just crawl up and die instead of chasing his dreams.

Once again, reading comprehension fails poor tommy ...

- I told USSE that he should get off of his duff and get cracking on the math right now if he wants to pursue those careers, having had some background in the areas in question.

- tommy told him to be happy, regardless of anything else, most likely because it is the opposite of what I said and easy enough to spell (well, almost).

Which set of advice has SOME chance of helping the kid get closer to his dreams ?

Oh, and tommy ... I'm not following you around, you just keep leaving these huge flaming piles of hypocrisy everywhere.

Cheers

EDIT: What was it that Goz said about you and Chad giving USSE advice ?  ;D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:36:51 pm by CheffoJeffo »

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:16 pm »
So what did you get on the portions of the SAT excluding the essay part?

2/3 of 1640 is about 1100, which is not bad for a junior.

Like Chad, I'm not used to the new scoring system.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »
Tommy calls Cheffo a loser.... hahahahahahaha doooooooooooooooosh

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 08:54:40 am »
So what did you get on the portions of the SAT excluding the essay part?

2/3 of 1640 is about 1100, which is not bad for a junior.

He said perfect is now 2400, so he got in the 70s percentage wise.  Not good.

The SATs are weird.  There were a couple really intelligent guys I went to HS with that took it many times and could never get above 800 (out of 1600).  I took it once, still drunk from the night before and covered in sand from the beach, slept my way through and scored really high.  Never took it again in case that was a fluke.   :laugh2:  Probably would have hit 1500 if I took precalc like I should have.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2007, 09:51:56 am »
Some people just don't test well.  I knew some people in HS that were fairly intelligent but couldn't score well on the SAT either.

I only took the SATs once also, and it had been a long night before the test haha.  Looks like Chad and I worried about the SATs about the same amount.
first off your and idiot

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2007, 09:59:37 am »
Some people just don't test well.  I knew some people in HS that were fairly intelligent but couldn't score well on the SAT either.

I only took the SATs once also, and it had been a long night before the test haha.  Looks like Chad and I worried about the SATs about the same amount.

My wife and I are exact opposites when it comes to testing. She carried a 4.0 thru high school, and a 3.9 in college. However, it took her three tries on the act to muster a 21. She is HORRIBLE at standardized testing.

I on the other hand, thrive on standardized tests. To me, it is easy because the answer is always there and you can use deductive reasoning to figure the answer without knowing anything about the subject matter ( of course it helps if you do. ;))

You have to be good at working under pressure, and be very good at managing your time under said pressure.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:53 am »

Or just confident enough that you have the right answer and don't have to rework it 5 times.  If you are sure that you got it right the first time you usually have more than enough time to do everything.  It's the people who feel the need to triple check every problem that run out of time.  I was the first one out of there when I took them... of course, I was about to pass out, too, and needed a hardcore shower.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2007, 10:45:03 am »

There were about 7 different dates, within 2-3 towns, that we could take the SATs, both 11th and 12th grade.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:30 am »
Speaking of difficult tests, the Fundamental of Engineering exam is a MONSTER! Non-stop testing from 8 am until about 6 pm. Test covers everything, including some stuff I had never seen before. It has a pretty high fail rate too. I passed it on the first try, which is pretty hard to do - I was the only one from my class to do it.

Anyways, after I got home I was so brain fried that I just laid on the couch and stared blankly at the tv for the rest of the night.

billf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 05:53:05 pm
  • Why ya dog-gone crazy idgit!
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2007, 01:49:17 pm »
Speaking of difficult tests, the Fundamental of Engineering exam is a MONSTER! Non-stop testing from 8 am until about 6 pm. Test covers everything, including some stuff I had never seen before. It has a pretty high fail rate too. I passed it on the first try, which is pretty hard to do - I was the only one from my class to do it.

Anyways, after I got home I was so brain fried that I just laid on the couch and stared blankly at the tv for the rest of the night.

I concur!  It took me 4 tries to get through this beast.  Finally got a 73% to pass on that fourth one.  When I was in college, we were allowed to take the FE and the PE (Professional Engineers 8 hour exam) before finishing school.  My wife (very good test taker) passed the FE test with an 80% on the first try and then the next day took the PE and passed that one with a 70%.  She actually left the PE with 1 hour left to go!  Said she was burnt out - two back to back 8 hour exams will do that.  Like I said, she does very well on tests in general.  Me, not so much.  To my knowledge, now you have to pass the FE and get experience in the real world before being able to take the PE.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2007, 02:00:47 pm »
I concur!  It took me 4 tries to get through this beast.  Finally got a 73% to pass on that fourth one.  When I was in college, we were allowed to take the FE and the PE (Professional Engineers 8 hour exam) before finishing school.  My wife (very good test taker) passed the FE test with an 80% on the first try and then the next day took the PE and passed that one with a 70%.  She actually left the PE with 1 hour left to go!  Said she was burnt out - two back to back 8 hour exams will do that.  Like I said, she does very well on tests in general.  Me, not so much.  To my knowledge, now you have to pass the FE and get experience in the real world before being able to take the PE.

How exactly did your wife take the FE one day and the PE the next considering they are highly standarized tests only offered on Saturdays, and the fact you have to wait several months before getting the results to the FE. Just curious... ::).

Anyways, yes you have to work under a licensed professional engineer for four years in order to take the PE test. I don't work under a PE, so I'll never be getting a PE license I suppose.

billf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007, 02:09:32 pm »

How exactly did your wife take the FE one day and the PE the next considering they are highly standarized tests only offered on Saturdays, and the fact you have to wait several months before getting the results to the FE. Just curious... ::).

Anyways, yes you have to work under a licensed professional engineer for four years in order to take the PE test. I don't work under a PE, so I'll never be getting a PE license I suppose.

Different rules back when we were taking them.  Way back in the day (1988 or 89) when we took them, you could take the FE (it was called the EIT back then) on Thursday and the PE on Friday.  They've since added new rules for taking them that didn't apply to us back then.  She passed the exams, but then had to work for the 4 years experience, then pay the licensing fee.  After that she was a fully licensed practicing engineer

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »
The amount of self-pwnage on this thread has just been amazing.

I got a 37 on my ACT and a 1605 on SAT and I took them with my eyes closed.

1605 wasn't even possible until recently.  1600 was the max for a long, long time.

billf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:26 pm »
The amount of self-pwnage on this thread has just been amazing.

I got a 37 on my ACT and a 1605 on SAT and I took them with my eyes closed.

1605 wasn't even possible until recently.  1600 was the max for a long, long time.

He's being sarcastic.  A perfect score on the ACT is 36.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2007, 02:24:51 pm »

He gets a 45th percentile on his sarcasm section.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2007, 02:26:13 pm »
Side note:
Have you really made almost 400 post just in the last week or so Chad???
I could have swore you were right below 17000 just a few days ago. :o

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:26 pm »

I have no idea.  I don't keep track. 

I score 17000+ on the forum section.  That has to be passing.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2007, 02:33:34 pm »

I have no idea.  I don't keep track. 

I score 17000+ on the forum section.  That has to be passing.

Nope. Sorry, but that is more like bubbling in every single circle on a test. ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2007, 02:36:43 pm »

I have strong brand awareness?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2007, 04:16:10 pm »
Move to Texas, enroll at Texas A&M, take 9 hours a semester for 2 semesters and then 6 hours over the summer.  If you time it right, you'll be an "instate resident" for your sophomore year.

Don't get caught up on east coast crap.  A&M is top notch for engineering and math.

WHOOP!!!

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:06 pm »
I'm gonna throw some advice in here, USSE is gonna completely ignore it, and Tommy is gonna call me a big meany...

USSE, totally disregard everything about test scores, college classes, tuition costs. Once you finish your 5-6 years (or 10 years in pinballjim's case  ;) ) are you really going to want a career that focuses heavily on a subject that does not come naturally to you?

I scored very well on my entrance exams, but also struggled with the math. I *intended* to go in hard for a civil or mechanical engineering degree. I forced myself to get top scores in my college math classes. I actually  carried the curve in geometry and trig classes. I seriously busted ---my bottom--- to do it and was proud of the "win".

What I also learned was that having to constantly bust my hump to get through the math work was not fun. It made my job REALLY sucky and stressful... and I had the training to be really good at it. The bottom line is that it is not my natural talent and it was really stressing me out to consider the idea that I would spend my entire professional life doing math.

So... I pushed my career choice toward my natural talent. I'm good at visualization. I'm good at making things, I can see complex buildings in my head. I still use a huge amount of math, but it is not my primary focus. Because of my choice, I absolutely love what I do for a living, and I'm a natural at it. Plus it's a right fine way to make a very comfortable living.

I say all this simply to say that you have to look farther out in front of you than just getting through the classes in college. You need to soul search and find what you are naturally good at. I found that ability in a set of drafting classes that I took as a Junior and Senior in HS. I just didn't realize it until I had already hammered 2 years into College taking that damnable math schedule. Maybe you aspire to crunch numbers all day. I doubt it though, based on your comments and scores up to this point.

My 2 pennies.

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
Just a few added notes...

I am not a draftsman by trade. I did spend several years weilding that sword but I have moved on. I now spend my time telling those fancy engineers and architects how to actually build those buildings that they cannot figure out on their own, and what it's gonna cost to do it. It's a lot of fun to poke at 'em while I'm doing it.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2007, 08:14:55 pm »
Just a few added notes...

I am not a draftsman by trade. I did spend several years weilding that sword but I have moved on. I now spend my time telling those fancy engineers and architects how to actually build those buildings that they cannot figure out on their own, and what it's gonna cost to do it. It's a lot of fun to poke at 'em while I'm doing it.

Big Meany!!!

That Nos...he's just mean!

;)

MikeQ

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »

If you're taking the SATs now, the time to start moving on math was 2 years ago.  Now you're 2 years behind.

BTW, there is a lot of math classes in CMPSCI, but not a ton of math in the field, compared to the other majors mentioned.

WHAT!!!!  I do TONS of math every day.  It depends on what you go into.  If your doing java apps for a living, no not a lot of math.  I do 3D graphics device drivers.  Things like this and MPEG compression algorithms as well as almost anything dealing with hardware design is VERY math intensive. 

And yes, there is a ton of math in computer science.  Linear Matrix Algebra, Calc1, Calc2, Differential Equations.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2007, 10:13:20 pm »

all right in critical reading with a 68%

Sounds a bit high to me :P

However, according to collegeboard.com, only 80% of students return for a sophomore year, whereas all the other schools I looked at, that number was in the 90's.

When have you ever let the opinion of a larger amount of people rule your decision? :laugh2:

I swear, I'm KILLING myself here!  HAH!

All I did was state my GPA and my SAT score. Neither necessarily reflects my intelligence to its full extent.

They DO fill out the rest of the picture you've painted of yourself thus far though :dunno

You don't know anything else about my background, and therefore have no right to make idiotic judgments like that.

The path of decisions and judgements you've made in the past and then let us be privy to pretty much gives us the right to make such judgements on the soundness of your decision, idiotic or otherwise.  Don't wanna be judged?  Don't ask for things that will LEAD to you being judged.  Seems purdy simple for someone who did "all right in critical reading"

I'll be here all week folks, be sure to tip your waitress! ;D

for pinballjim, I laugh at the idea of going anywhere near Texas. I'm not laughing specifically at A&M. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure that A&M is an excellent school, for anyone who chooses to live in Texas.

Anyone else hear that giant whooshing sound?  That was the entire state of Texas breathing a well-deserved sigh of relief! :laugh2:

TRY THE VEAL!

How's that working out for you so far ?

Cheffo, it's consistently producing comedy gold in forum thread format.  Mebbe he should print out some of these threads and send 'em in with his application, no? ;)

Because the advice is to give up on what I really want to do in life

.... or car you should buy, foolish purchases you shouldn't make, foolish requests that have been made....and so on, and so on, and so on, an.....

The funny thing is, you've demonstrated that the only advice you'll seriously consider (based on your past decisions) is advice that agrees with your pre-formed idea of what you want to do, so yet again, Cheffo's point still stands - you continue to request advice, dismiss it if it doesn't fit the parameters you expect it to be fed to you, and whine about it when it doesn't adhere to your preconceived notion of how you expect the advice to be given.

He never invited asshats to comment here.

If you aren't going to let that stop you, why would we? ;D

I think he's demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that this advice not only wasn't needed, but doubly-redundant times eleventy twelve brazillion. 

That's like telling the sun to be hot :laugh2:

I'm gonna throw some advice in here, USSE is gonna completely ignore it, and Tommy is gonna call me a big meany...

We're well on our way to forming a few stereotypes, no?  (Sorry Cheffo, it had to be said that way......no? ;D )

Man, I dunno about the rest of you guys, but this thread seems to have it all, info, fun, self-deprecation, doody-heads, and asshattery.  That's like....a trifecta or summink, no?  :woot
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2007, 08:54:30 am »
WHAT!!!!  I do TONS of math every day.  It depends on what you go into.  If your doing java apps for a living, no not a lot of math.  I do 3D graphics device drivers.  Things like this and MPEG compression algorithms as well as almost anything dealing with hardware design is VERY math intensive. 

And yes, there is a ton of math in computer science.  Linear Matrix Algebra, Calc1, Calc2, Differential Equations.

Yep, that's math intensive.  I've been in this field for a long time now and have only worked on one or two apps that had any substantive sort of math.  Once I got through all of those classes listed above (plus a couple more), I have rarely if ever used what was specifically taught.  I think the most directly useful math class I took was Discrete Math (which may be the same as Matrix Algebra, not sure).

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2007, 11:23:39 am »

Yep, that's math intensive.  I've been in this field for a long time now and have only worked on one or two apps that had any substantive sort of math.  Once I got through all of those classes listed above (plus a couple more), I have rarely if ever used what was specifically taught.  I think the most directly useful math class I took was Discrete Math (which may be the same as Matrix Algebra, not sure).
Then there was also the advanced statisitics (2 classes) and advanced physics (3 classes) both of which are basically math classes.  They also might be used in specific fields in comp sci, but in general they are not.  I remember all that was needed to get a minor in math was to take 2 more math classes.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2007, 11:27:37 am »

I remember having to take Physics 1 and 2 but nothing for statistics.  When I was at UMass they stopped allowing CMPSCI majors to declare a secondary Math major because so many guys were getting a double bachelor's with only like 5 additional classes.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:50 pm »

I remember having to take Physics 1 and 2 but nothing for statistics.  When I was at UMass they stopped allowing CMPSCI majors to declare a secondary Math major because so many guys were getting a double bachelor's with only like 5 additional classes.

that's how it was and university of washington with biochem majors getting double or even triple majors in biology and chemistry.  Biology was just 2 core courses away, and chem 5 or 6 depending on what major electives you took for biochem.  I was 2 classes from a chem degree and 2 diff from a bio degree.  And when I attended, they didn't have minors.  Now biochem majors just automatically choose either bio or chem as their minor.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2007, 01:38:45 pm »
We're well on our way to forming a few stereotypes, no?  (Sorry Cheffo, it had to be said that way......no? ;D )

If you weren't 100% correct, I would tell you to go underline yourself !

:cheers:

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2007, 02:46:36 pm »

erm....isn't that supposed to be 110%? ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:02 pm »

erm....isn't that supposed to be 110%? ;D

Keeping on track with my penchant for quoting tommy out of context:

I think it is all in the persons head that just wants to believe something, almost anything can do the same thing for a person if they believe and want to change things for themself.

And there you have it.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2007, 03:25:42 pm »
I think it is all in the persons head that just wants to believe something, almost anything can do the same thing for a person if they believe and want to change things for themself.
And there you have it.

I wonder if Zakk is worried about tommy stripping Tony Robbins' motivational expert crown? :laugh2:

tommy

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2007, 03:27:55 pm »
That fools been taking my quotes from threads all over the board and putting them up his ass. Then placing them in spots. That was not even from this thread.  :dunno

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2007, 03:36:39 pm »
(or 10 years in pinballjim's case  ;) )

Hey now, I resemble that remark.  It'll be 6 years, actually.  My wife will be up to 12 when she's done with her PhD!   :dizzy:

;D  Hi JIM!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2007, 03:41:21 pm »
That fools been taking my quotes from threads all over the board and putting them up his ass. Then placing them in spots. That was not even from this thread.  :dunno

When did it matter if you said them in a specific thread?  Did you not say those things?  Does your logic or thought process not defeat itself when put to the test?  Do you not realize the positions that you state often break down when comparing them to something else you said not even 5 posts ago?

Do you not realize that you're now making Cheffo's point?  Do you not realize that EVEN YOU can see your logic doesn't make much sense when applied to other things you claim to believe?

How do you compartmentalize your life to that extent?  Sybil?  Is that you?

tommy

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2007, 03:44:26 pm »
Don't be stupid. How the hell can you possibly tell what context i put that in and what was said before and after it from here.. It matters.  :dizzy:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:01 pm »
Don't be stupid. How the hell can you possibly tell what context i put that in and what was said before and after it from here.. It matters.  :dizzy:

I've checked every possible place i could with no luck, maybe you guys know something i don't and can help.

Uh ... Click the link on the quote ... that'll tell you the exact context, just like misson told you the last time you asked that question and I told you a few minutes ago.

:banghead:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2007, 03:52:36 pm »
Do you not realize that you're now making Cheffo's point?

I like that comment, very amusing in some parts.

Maybe i can see where you went wrong

Wait a minute ... I have a point ?

???

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2007, 04:05:52 pm »

???

Way to hide it on top of tommy's head ;D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2007, 04:08:08 pm »

???

Way to hide it on top of tommy's head ;D

After thinking it over i do not think

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2007, 04:08:57 pm »

The context is that what you've said in the past doesn't line up across the board.  A LOT.  You contradict your own reasoning numerous times.  THAT has nothing to do with context, and everything to do with you now being made to sound even more ridiculous than usual due to clever usage of quotation by Cheffo.

It's the funniest "pot, kettle, black" I've seen in a while!

tommy

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »
Clever you say? You must be a bigger moron than i had originally thought.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2007, 04:15:30 pm »

That's very shallow and naive.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2007, 04:19:09 pm »

That's very shallow and naive.

Cheffo's gotta be posting downhill with the roll he's on

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2007, 04:20:30 pm »
I would never consider changing the things that i find to be funny, and i don't think i can even if i tried.

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2007, 08:20:49 pm »
Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Cheffo has made an otherwise unremarkable Tuesday's forum trolling sheer delight.  :cheers:
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2007, 08:37:01 pm »
Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Cheffo has made an otherwise unremarkable Tuesday's forum trolling sheer delight.  :cheers:

Maybe some of you have some comments and can voice your opinion because i can't seem to understand this.

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2007, 09:32:05 pm »
 :notworthy:

It's like old times on EE. Even tommy has to admit the pure brilliance of today's events. ;)

:notworthy:

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2007, 09:33:53 pm »
I took it once, still drunk from the night before and covered in sand from the beach, slept my way through and scored really high.

Chad is batman.  Really. 

=J
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »
I really don't think guys here want to talk about love and deep meaningfull feelings

MikeQ

« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2007, 09:00:08 am »

Discrete math is not the same as linear matrix algebra.  Linear math is a subset of discrete though.  I took discrete but then later took linear.  Discrete Math deals with set theory, combinitronics, graph theory and a couple of other finite math topic.  Linear matrix algebra is used in the study of linear spaces and is based on vectors, vector spaces and transformations of spaces. 

I did have to take a statistics class too.  Probably the least enjoyable class I ever took.  The Physics classes seem to me to just be a rehash of Calc1 and Calc2.  It is a rare occasion that I actually need to recall any of my calculus but there are many fields in CompSCI that do.

Bottom line, it all depends on what aspect of CompSCI you go into as to what level and type of math/science you'll need.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2007, 01:29:50 am »
I only read the first few posts, cos I got no time, but thought I'd chime in about the tempted to switch majors thing - sorry if this has already been covered.  I agree that it's a stupid reason to avoid a good school, because there's no reason to assume that you will switch majors.

But, more importantly, being tempted to switch majors is a very good thing.  It's half the reason for general ed requirements.   I initially went to school with the intention of majoring in English, hoping for a career in creative writing.  I am graduating in one month with a double-major in French and political science and a minor in information systems, and I could not be happier about that choice.  You are just a kid (hell, at 28 I still feel largely the same about myself).  You probably don't really know what you want.  Seriously, that sounds stupid now, but wait a while.  Even looking back, the only thing I might change if I had to do it over again would be to major in psychology rather than poli sci.  An English degree isn't even on my radar for what I want.

You never know when you will be introduced to something that will entirely change your life.  To avoid the temptation of changing majors is to voluntarily deprive yourself of things that could potentially make you much happier than engineering ever can.  You have a long life ahead of you; save the pigeonholing for later.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:46 am »
I just attended a college fair last night at my HS. Picked up info from a few liberal arts schools, NJIT, and from a school I haven't really considered seriously until recently: The Culinary Institute of America. That school has its pros and cons, though.

Only major choices are culinary chef training and pastry chef training, so no room to make any change, unless I want to completely quit said school. Its also a little farther than I wanted to travel: Hyde Park, NY. However, it is one of the best culinary institutes in the US, student body is small, its in a suburban location right on the edge of the Hudson River, and it has pinball machines in the game room They don't need SAT or ACT scores at all, and HS GPA can be as low as a 2.5 (if lower, acceptance is based on interview). If I were to go this path, I'd still probably get at least an associates degree in a regular community or liberal arts college, but afterwards, CIA.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2007, 10:11:44 am »

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
okay...no

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2007, 10:32:40 am »
okay...no

See?  You can't even make up your mind.  First it's okay, then it's no.  Be a man!

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2007, 10:39:31 am »
The "okay" was meant to acknowledge your idiotic suggestion, not to indicate that it was a school I'd consider.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2007, 10:41:51 am »
Jeez, the EE section has turned into a complete nonsence section now it seems.

Notice i said complete as it was before it was only half.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2007, 10:43:07 am »
The "okay" was meant to acknowledge your idiotic suggestion, not to indicate that it was a school I'd consider.

No it wasn't.  You wanted it.  Then when you got close you said no, but you didn't really mean no.  You wanted it.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2007, 10:45:01 am »
Is this one of your helpfull comments i've been hearing you go on about on BYOAC?

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2007, 10:46:44 am »

No it wasn't.  You wanted it.  Then when you got close you said no, but you didn't really mean no.  You wanted it.
:dizzy:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2007, 10:56:37 am »

Good.  Now sign the paper.

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2007, 11:24:20 am »
Did you go from engineer to chef?

Jacktucky
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2007, 11:29:27 am »
I'm all over the place. Engineer, chef, teacher ar all things I'm considering. Its mainly because of CIA's booth at the college fair last night that I regained some interest.

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2007, 11:31:45 am »

Your best option.

:laugh2:  Holy crap, man.  Where do you come up with this stuff.  :laugh2:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2007, 11:34:47 am »

He could be the next Brutus Beefcake.

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2007, 11:37:45 am »
I'm all over the place. Engineer, chef, teacher ar all things I'm considering. Its mainly because of CIA's booth at the college fair last night that I regained some interest.

Did they have cookies?

=J

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2007, 11:39:34 am »

Did they have cookies?

=J
No, but the woman's face who was talking to me kind of looked like a cookie, or maybe I was just hungry...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2007, 11:40:13 am »

Is he trying to say he is considering the CIA with those test scores?

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2007, 12:06:26 pm »

Lets not encourage me and turn this thread bad again chad... try to keep my name out of your mouth.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:15 pm »

So tommy is like acid reflux.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2007, 12:12:12 pm »
In all honesty my god is to have a good heart and feel love and compassion to others and generally not be an ---uvula---

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »

Is he trying to say he is considering the CIA with those test scores?

CIA doesn't require SAT scores.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2007, 01:17:04 pm »
CIA doesn't require SAT scores.

Wait, I just did a google on CIA.  It apparently is also a culinary school.    ;D

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:15 pm »
Hey, isn't that the culinary school that charges like 30,000 per semester? I believe a guy I went to school with went there for a year...at least it was some culinary school in NY I know for sure.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:49 pm »

They better be making meals out of supermodels for 30 large.

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2007, 01:26:02 pm »
I thought maybe he meant
shorthair's school.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2007, 01:40:27 pm »
Hey, isn't that the culinary school that charges like 30,000 per semester? I believe a guy I went to school with went there for a year...at least it was some culinary school in NY I know for sure.
Yes, its about 30k a year with R&B, fees, uniform, books, equipment, etc. It would probably only be two years there, and the person at the college fair said that around 92% of students get financial aid.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2007, 01:43:13 pm »

I like her student body
she wants a better grade
I say if you roll over I'll throw in fianancial aid

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »
On the bright side, you won't have to pay for meals if you have any talent.

I used to go to school down the street from the CIA in Pittsburgh.  You could tell what semester they were in by their belt size.  ;)

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2007, 04:23:22 pm »

The amount of drinking, drug use, and casual sex was literally astounding to my sheltered sensibilities.

I don't think this is an effective way to discourage a teenager from taking up a particular profession.

I'm just sayin'.  ;D

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2007, 04:31:03 pm »
The first two I have no interest in. Can't say that there's no interest for number three, though.

Havoc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2010, 07:07:27 pm
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2007, 04:31:58 pm »
The amount of drinking, drug use, and casual sex was literally astounding

I Knew I should have changed my major .....

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2007, 04:33:21 pm »
It's effective for the ones with sheltered sensibilities.

The rest of us them are un-discourageable anyway.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2007, 04:46:05 pm »

I did food service for a while and agree with pinballjim.  To make a career out of it it has to be something you really enjoy.  I hated, hated, hated it after I ran a food franchise for a few months.  I was ready to go Shelly Cartman on every customer that came in.

billf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:15 pm »

I did food service for a while and agree with pinballjim.  To make a career out of it it has to be something you really enjoy.  I hated, hated, hated it after I ran a food franchise for a few months.  I was ready to go Shelly Cartman on every customer that came in.

Were you the manager or the owner of the franchise?  Care to say which food place it was?  Just curious - never worked in the food industry.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2007, 07:33:22 pm »
Were you the manager or the owner of the franchise?  Care to say which food place it was?  Just curious - never worked in the food industry.

Manager - Subway.  I was the night guy when I was 17 working 7/week.  A new guy bought the place and fired everyone but me and then told me to run the place day to day while he built up staff/etc.  I guess he asked the old owner who on the staff was worth keeping and the staff owner said I was the only one.  For months the new owner and me were working about 90 hours each.

:laugh2:

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2007, 07:55:06 pm »
USSE does NOT strike me as the type who can make a career out of food service.  Depending on what you're doing and where you're working at, the money is FAR better than what people think, but you WILL earn every penny of it.  Give you a for-instance for Wisconsin, and this was going on at LEAST 10 years ago, but a friend of mine was an assistant manager who started at $33k/yr.  Doesn't sound like much, but again, 10 years ago, and the cost of living in Wisconsin is nowhere near NJ.  I know for certain that there were managers (not owners) who worked for the same chain I did that made $65-70k/year to start in NJ, which probably sounds like you're just scraping by (in NJ), but that was for people who were able to at least use one nostril to fog up the mirror in the hiring process.

I hate the "check this out" stories though.  It's bad enough I had to live through them, and that they go on EVERYWHERE :P

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2007, 08:46:41 pm »
"check this out" stories?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2007, 09:26:39 pm »
"check this out" stories?

"Check out what happened to ME when I worked at ________ and blah blah blah"

Finger in the chili, foot in the salad, etc

sphetr2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2009, 06:35:00 pm
  • black and white album
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2007, 10:02:32 pm »
Holy mothballs, this thread made me realize how incredibly smart I am.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2007, 10:15:13 pm »

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:36 am »
You guys with your foodservice experiences DO realize that graduating from a culinary institute is quite a few steps above getting a third shift job at Denny's as a short order cook, right?  I have several friends who have graduated from high profile culinary schools that aren't laughing about the "secret ingredient" in the "special sauce".

With a good culinary education from a respected school, and good achievements along the way, you can expect to be recruited into a totally different class of restaurants. 

Night shift manager at subway != apprentice or sous chef at a 3+ star restaurant.....

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2007, 01:13:09 am »
Even waiting tables at a fine dining establishment will get you some amazing tips. (go where the money is!)
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2007, 08:35:01 am »
With a good culinary education from a respected school, and good achievements along the way, you can expect to be recruited into a totally different class of restaurants.

Of course you are 100% correct, but given how long this kid sticks with a project, how well he listens to advice/instructions, and how well he picks his projects, we're not willing to allocate him a quality education and good long term achievements yet.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2007, 01:31:29 pm »
A person coming out of a culinary institute such as CIA, has worked in one of the campus restaurants in the past, which are open to the public.

I'm going into a low level food service job right now (I had to leave the pinball job because I wasn't happy with the 50 miles a day to make 7.50 an hour). Its at McDonald's. I'll see how it goes. I would much rather be waitering just because of tips, but I couldn't find anything.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2007, 01:34:04 pm »

You won't need experience to tell you that job sucks.  It's money, of course, and one does what one must to make a living... but McDonald's is a half step above migrant crop picking.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2007, 02:09:08 pm »
Its very close to migrant crop picking. I feel very alone in said McDonald's as one of the few people who doesn't speak either Spanish or Ebonics. I don't intend that to be in any way racist, but if it comes off as such, I apologize.

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2007, 02:21:14 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, I'm the minority in my IT deptartment.  At least 75% East Indian these days.  I don't have a problem with that, but combine the cultural differences with the language barrier and it can be tough some days.  It's not racist, that's just the way it is.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:05 pm »

Don't sweat being the only white guy.  Your coworkers are going to be swapping in and out constantly so it won't matter.  Few people stay at McDonald's too long.  They usually either quit because it sucks so much or they get fired because they are so unemployable they got hired by McDonald's.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2007, 02:44:28 pm »
A person coming out of a culinary institute such as CIA, has worked in one of the campus restaurants in the past, which are open to the public.

I'm going into a low level food service job right now (I had to leave the pinball job because I wasn't happy with the 50 miles a day to make 7.50 an hour). Its at McDonald's. I'll see how it goes. I would much rather be waitering just because of tips, but I couldn't find anything.

I thought your pinball job was pretty much right down the street?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2007, 02:47:24 pm »

Trust us, it's way better to have a job that is enjoyable and a pays less than it is to have on that really sucks but pays a little more. 

And there's no way you're making 7.50+ at McDonald's to start.  Well, maybe if it's a gay McDonald's, and you're the special sauce extractor.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:02 pm »
No, I'm making $7.50 because I'm on mateninence, as opposed to regular crew, but unlike the other job, I'm taxed at McD's. BTW, the distance is not the only reason I quit. The behavior of my coworkers made me... uncomfortable. Basically, smoking weed and then working on pinball machines really doesn't mix well. Thats really why I left. I didn't want to be stuck fixing things they broke, or cleaning up messes they made, or be tempted to try it myself.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2007, 03:00:14 pm »

Hate to break it to you, bro, but your McDonald's coworkers are gonna be on a lot more weed.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2007, 03:04:07 pm »
not on the job

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2007, 03:05:46 pm »
not on the job

Erm, yes they are.  That's why they work at McDonald's and not someplace better.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2007, 03:06:55 pm »
So someone is going to be working at the grill and smoking a joint? Not something I've ever seen.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2007, 03:08:23 pm »

Cig breaks.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2007, 03:11:53 pm »
All right, but at the pinball place, they weren't even going outside. They were smoking and working at the same time, in an unventilated building.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »

Which does make it pretty much impossible for you to not get high with them.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »
which is why as soon as they lit up, I said I was going for a walk, got into my car, and went home. I sent my letter of resignation to the boss via email. The boss was out on a delivery, so I told him some BS reason as to why I had to leave.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2007, 03:25:21 pm »

Did you try telling them you didn't want the contact high?  If you weren't a dick about it they may have just gone outside.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2007, 03:27:26 pm »

Did you try telling them you didn't want the contact high?  If you weren't a dick about it they may have just gone outside.

I think the point is he didn't want to be around that kind of situation in the first place. I was under the impression it was only you and the owner anyways - never remember other employees being included. Anyways, kudo's to you. You may bounce off the walls a little bit when it comes to projects, but you seem like a good kid.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2007, 03:29:19 pm »

Oh, I'm with him on the decision to not smoke up with them.  Good move.  It's not easy to find a really enjoyable job from which you also learn a ton, though, and every job has its problems with coworkers.  I'm wondering if he actually tried to alleviate the situation or just left without saying anything. 

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2007, 03:30:02 pm »
I tried to tell them that I wasn't comfortable with it, but they didn't catch on. I suggested they go outside "as to not have the boss catch on" and they said they had done it before inside. I gave up at that point, and left. I really enjoyed working there, and I did learn a considerable amount, but the job was relatively dull, with no real opportunity for advancement beyond cleaning machines. I wasn't going to be doing board repairs or anything.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:31:40 pm by USSEnterprise »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2007, 03:32:54 pm »

Experience is advancement.  Don't forget that.  People call in sick or get fired or quit and the work still needs to be done by someone. 

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2007, 03:42:21 pm »
In the month that I worked there, I learned as much as I was going to, with the exception of how to take apart and reassemble each and every DMD machines that exist individually. I know know how to shop a machine's PF. And personally, some of the methods they used I strongly disagreed with. He would list machines on ebay as being in like new shape. However, he never replaced all the PF bulbs, he would leave cracked plastics in place, and he would use washers to cover up cracked slingshot plastics. Take a little extra money and buy new plastics. He would never rebuild flippers, pop bumpers, or the like. He used white rubbers on all the newer machines as opposed to black. He used a bleach cleaner on PFs and cabinets that would sometimes remove paint. It was not a good operation IMO.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2007, 03:47:52 pm »
It was not a good operation IMO.

We were afraid of that when you took the job.  Good call in not hitching your rep to his.

Don't ever assume you've learned all there is to learn about a job.  Even if you're just coming up with ways to do things faster, you're still learning.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2007, 04:01:08 pm »
If I were allowed to do things my own way, even if I found them to be faster, I would have. However, I was told not to.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2007, 04:03:38 pm »
In the month that I worked there, I learned as much as I was going to, with the exception of how to take apart and reassemble each and every DMD machines that exist individually. I know know how to shop a machine's PF. And personally, some of the methods they used I strongly disagreed with. He would list machines on ebay as being in like new shape. However, he never replaced all the PF bulbs, he would leave cracked plastics in place, and he would use washers to cover up cracked slingshot plastics. Take a little extra money and buy new plastics. He would never rebuild flippers, pop bumpers, or the like. He used white rubbers on all the newer machines as opposed to black. He used a bleach cleaner on PFs and cabinets that would sometimes remove paint. It was not a good operation IMO.

If he was gonna do that bad of a half-ass job, he might as well just have taken the glass off, grabbed a bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels and called it done. What a crappy operation. It appears that all you really gained from the experience was what not to do.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2007, 04:09:08 pm »
They did do some things right. They did novus the PF. They did remove mylar pretty well without paint loss, but what they did do that was wrong strongly outweighed what they did correctly.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2007, 05:20:41 pm »
I'm not a pothead  :dunno

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2007, 08:25:51 pm »

For a kid who is on the cusp of breaking out in the world, it's also the exact dead end nowhere position he wants to avoid.  Right now the entire freakin world is at his feet.  He just has to figure out how to grab it.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:58 pm »
I haven't stopped looking for jobs. I'm not thrilled with McDonald's myself. If I can find something that pays a little better, or a job where tips are something you get, I'll take it if possible. At least waitering, you might have the opportunity yo get into the kitchen at some point.

kkingsto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 10:49:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2007, 08:40:29 pm »
Even waiting tables at a fine dining establishment will get you some amazing tips. (go where the money is!)

Sure does.  And you also get to meet some interesting people!

My brother once waited on Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.   There was probably more of the Baldwin family there as they were in town visiting their mom.  My brother said he got a really NICE tip!

tommy

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2007, 09:00:39 pm »
Is this one of your helpfull comments i've been hearing you go on about on BYOAC?

I can't get better word-of-mouth myself if i tried. Do you think you can make a nice paperback book with some of these in there?

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2007, 09:04:52 pm »

I can't get better word-of-mouth myself if i tried. Do you think you can make a nice paperback book with some of these in there?

I prefer to wait for one of my fans to reply. If there is such a person.

tommy

« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2007, 09:12:46 pm »
It seems there is such a person.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:29 pm »
I've checked every possible place i could with no luck

tommy

« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2007, 09:18:40 pm »
If you care to follow i will be spending some time in the console section.  :applaud:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2007, 09:21:07 pm »
;D dont bring your rent or motgage money with you  ;D

tommy

« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
I don't think he's allowed to be a fool in other sections not marked "EE"  ;)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2007, 09:24:29 pm »
So the guy is excited about the new console, no need to call him gay.  :police:

tommy

« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2007, 09:27:38 pm »
So the guy is excited about the new console, no need to call him gay.  :police:

I think that one rings true to everybody.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2007, 09:30:06 pm »
What kind of comment is that supposed to be? Have the balls to say what you mean and mean what you say or don't bother.

tommy

« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2007, 09:32:06 pm »
What kind of comment is that supposed to be? Have the balls to say what you mean and mean what you say or don't bother.

That's like a "don't beat around the bush" sorta saying witch i live by.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2007, 09:38:15 pm »
I think the guy ran out of things to write and just made up some things for no reason.

tommy

« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2007, 09:39:15 pm »
I think the guy ran out of things to write and just made up some things for no reason.

That holds true for more members than i can count on one hand around here.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2007, 09:40:29 pm »
Who are you? I don't think noobs qualify to make comments such as yours.

tommy

« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:01 pm »
Even that was put in a gently but to the point sort of way... i'll have to see what that was from.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2007, 09:43:36 pm »
If you want to be the first to start a deep conversation i will gladly comment.

tommy

« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2007, 09:45:51 pm »
If you want to be the first to start a deep conversation i will gladly comment.

Pick a date and time and i'll surely come. I have to take a break jeffo, my mouse finger is getting abit red and bloddy at the moment.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2007, 09:46:51 pm »
You must be a bigger moron than i had originally thought.

tommy

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2007, 09:48:23 pm »
You must be a bigger moron than i had originally thought.

That was directed at drew and i meant every word of that.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2007, 09:49:25 pm »

tommy

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2007, 09:51:25 pm »
Thanks for commenting.

I always say what i feel no matter what. I love it even more towards guys who think they are the next great thing since douch-bags.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2007, 09:54:37 pm »

tommy

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »
No one can ever call you a stubborn person... i can say that much about you cheffo.  :laugh2:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2007, 10:02:01 pm »
What exactly do you mean by that there sick freak?  ;D

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2007, 01:15:31 am »

Sure does.  And you also get to meet some interesting people!

My brother once waited on Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.   There was probably more of the Baldwin family there as they were in town visiting their mom.  My brother said he got a really NICE tip!

kkingsto, now tell us some stories about the interesting people!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2007, 09:01:09 am »

I can't stand Alec Baldwin.  He's staring at me right now from my Shadow.   :banghead:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2007, 05:58:17 pm »

I was watching for one but never saw one actually produced, just lots of images floated around.  Do you have a link?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2007, 06:33:12 pm »

Niiiice.  I'd buy that.  I don't see a way to email the guy whose gallery that is, though... maybe a search on RGP will turn it up.