Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U-Trac from Ultimarc  (Read 7466 times)

Gabriel72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2008, 02:32:17 pm
U-Trac from Ultimarc
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:32:46 pm »
I read a post a few down about dreams.  i to had the same dreams.

Home theater
Arcade machine
and a pool table.

And I as well have kind of achieved the first 2.

I have a screenplay 4850, and it work great in a dark room.  I would love to be able to afford a true 1080p DLP some day, but money is money and I have not found the money tree yet.  We use to use a coffee table and a painted white wall, but then I bought our second house.  When we moved in I found a few treats.  The origional owners had left a 72" pull down screen in the basement, score...

The second thing I never noticed when buying the house was an old arcade machine in the back part of the basement as it was covered and buried from packing and them getting ready to move. 

The owners had a teenage boy that found and destroyed a Joust Cab.  By destroy I mean cut the side to remove the controls and bolted on a huge bat wing.  They left a 19" dell monitor inside but no PC.

I have been playing mame with logitech joysticks and mouse and keyboard for 8+ years now and always wanted to get a cab or build one to play games on.  Now I get to restore one.  But for now the hacked CP will work for a few summer partys till I get the time.   The one thing it did not have was a trackball.

I thought about getting a HAPP control and priced and ebayd BLA BLAH BLAH.

The Control panel was also connected to 2 old mircosoft sidewinder joysticks.  Ok Solder job for the kids but 3 of the buttons did not work and the up on player 2 was not working.

I found ultimarc and ordered an ipac and u-trac track ball.

First thing first.  I Live in Iowa.  i ordered the parts last Wed night around 8p.m. CST and got the parts from the UK Friday afternoon???  WOW   Great job.

Second.  The ipac and u-trac are both great IMHO as I have never done anything with real joysticks.

The U-Trac playing Golden tee 2000....   AWSOME.  This again is my opinion, but spending many nights at the corner bar back in the last 90's and early 2000, the game plays just as I remember.   

The u-trac was simple to install

Drill the hole, drill the pilot holes for the mounting nuts, Screw the trac from underneath and push on the trim plate * read below.  10 minutes, done...

Now the down side.  I blind drilled my holes and I must have had the bit to far to the inside of the left and right sides, so when I drilled and mounted the wood nuts, I could only get three screws to hold it in.  If ultimarc would include a paper template with the unit, you would not have to blind drill and get the spacing right. 

But 3 screws hold it so tight I can't se why i would need the 4th.  But when i rebuild the CP I will get it right.

The track ball is smooth and feels like its floating when you hit a ball in GT2k.  Centipede and millipede great game play as well as Capcom bowling. 

The iPac would be a rehash of reviews I read already *****  5 star rating.
Customer satisfaction with Shipping and price.  *****
U-Trac ****1/2 - The blind drilling would have been made easer with a paper template and the trim plate in all the photos when you buy looks to be included but is an extra 5$

All in all  Solid products, solid company.  When i rebuild the CP I will be replacing the old buttons and Joystick from ultimarc.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: U-Trac from Ultimarc
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:51:22 pm »
First thing first.  I Live in Iowa.  i ordered the parts last Wed night around 8p.m. CST and got the parts from the UK Friday afternoon???  WOW   Great job.

Isn't it amazing? I'm in Oklahoma and have ordered from them twice. Both times, I had my order within two days!

Gabriel72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2008, 02:32:17 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:05:01 am »
Very nice

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:53:07 pm »

The owners had a teenage boy that found and destroyed a Joust Cab.  By destroy I mean cut the side to remove the controls and bolted on a huge bat wing.

bat wing? lol

Pix pls.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:06:17 pm »

The owners had a teenage boy that found and destroyed a Joust Cab.  By destroy I mean cut the side to remove the controls and bolted on a huge bat wing.

bat wing? lol

Pix pls.

As in frankenpanel, I'm guessing.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:24 pm »

Now the down side.  I blind drilled my holes and I must have had the bit to far to the inside of the left and right sides, so when I drilled and mounted the wood nuts, I could only get three screws to hold it in.  If ultimarc would include a paper template with the unit, you would not have to blind drill and get the spacing right. 

But 3 screws hold it so tight I can't se why i would need the 4th.  But when i rebuild the CP I will get it right.

Just a comment, we would include a template but I am not sure if this would be more accurate than the method we mention in the instructions of drilling pilot holes right through the actual mounting holes in the trackball itself. If this is what you did, and it still was not correct, or found this method not possible for some reason, then maybe it indicates we should produce a template.
Andy

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:50:48 pm »
I could see that not turning out right if he used too small of a drill bit and was off-center, or drilled at too much of an angle.

Drilling through the mounting holes should work fine if done proper.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:20:41 pm »
You could also get a very thin marking pen or something.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:34:50 pm »
When I installed my U360s, I just took the mounting plate off and clamped it to the CP, then used a silver sharpie to mark the wholes. Guess that's too thick for this, but a thin pen or pencil like Ummon said would work great. (Or you could even just use a long, sharp piece of a wire hanger and scratch the marks on...)

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 04:49:35 pm »
Well, rather than that, you could use a thin punch or a long nail.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking