Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I align the blade with my tablesaw?  (Read 1686 times)

Nannuu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
How do I align the blade with my tablesaw?
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:38:30 pm »
I bought a General International 50-220 CL M1 months ago when a local place was going out of business (25% off).  I finally got it put together last week.  This is the one I got.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

My problem is that when the fence is lined up with the table runners, it doesn't line up with the blade.  If I adjust the fence to the blade there is almost 1/8" difference from front to back.  This all fine for running stuff by the fence but I won't be able to do any decent cross cutting with it.  And it looks like crap seeing the fence out of whack with the runners.

How do I fix this?  The manual is completely worthless.  I'm guess I'd have to loosen the trunions but that scares me not knowing if I can get them lined back up.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: How do I align the blade with my tablesaw?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:12:46 pm »
I believe you have to loosen the trunions. You can probably find info from a woodworking website via Google (search for "table saw aligment" or something similar). You could also General's technical support line, or try finding the manual for a similar saw that is written better. Most of the woodworking magazines publish an article about aligning and tuning a tablesaw once every 12-18 months.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:55:54 pm »
What you want to do is align the blade to the miter slot (I use the left one). That way you will get accurate crosscuts. To do it, yes you have to loosen the trunion bolts until they're just snug and tap the edge of the tabletop with a rubber or dead blow mallet to align it. Easier than it sounds, especially with a cabinet saw.

Once the blade is aligned to the miter slot, then align the rip fence to the blade.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:45:17 am »
Ah yes, miter slot is what it's called.  How does tapping the table top move the blade?  The trunnions are attached to the tabletop so it seems like I need to loosen the bolts and tap the whole assembly underneath?  This is a hybrid so maybe they are different than a cabinet inside.
I have a Woodcraft nearby, I think I'll pick up a dial indicator today so I can always make sure it's straight.  Yeah, I need that...good excuse.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 06:31:59 am »
You're right, you need to tap the trunion assembly if the trunions are table mounted. On a cabinet saw they're cabinet mounted which is why you'd only have to tap the table.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.