Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiki suggestion: Mounting a trackball.  (Read 8598 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Wiki suggestion: Mounting a trackball.
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:49:33 pm »

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this Wiki thing, so feel free to guide me by whatever means necessary :)

But if one doesn't already exist, a page on the numerous methods for mounting trackballs would be a godsend to the folks out there.  It has to be one of the single most boggling controller types to put in a panel, and outside of a mounting plate (which some don't care for the look of) there's just no straightforward method for doing.

I think a lot of this is due to the fact that different panel construction, and different trackball models, can dictate different methodology.  So, there isn't a "one size fits all" solution outside of the plate.

I'd be willing to help with this as much as I am able, but I only have experience with the Betson varieties.  It would be nice to see multiple installations of differing models and control panel construction to at least give first-timers a starting point.

Thoughts?

RandyT

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: Wiki suggestion: Mounting a trackball.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:59:01 pm »
I would agree.  I think the the best place for this would be on the trackball page or a link from there to this new install page. 

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Trackballs

It might even be a nice idea to setup a page for each control both top and bottom mount.  I know for example that the Japanese sticks and buttons are very different from the ones we can get from American or European manufactures.

TTFN  :cheers:
Kaytrim

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:16:22 pm »

I'd be willing to help with this as much as I am able, but I only have experience with the Betson varieties.  It would be nice to see multiple installations of differing models and control panel construction to at least give first-timers a starting point.

How does one tell which way is up on a Betson trackball? Is up the direction that the little "Betson Techology" writing on the lip of the trackball faces?

I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:40:48 pm »
How does one tell which way is up on a Betson trackball? Is up the direction that the little "Betson Techology" writing on the lip of the trackball faces?

You'd think I would have noticed that by now, but yes, that is true.  I usually orient it by placing the point where the wires exit at the lower right corner, but orienting the text is a better method :)

BTW, here's a template I made for the Betson a while back.  Viewed from below.

For a top view with dimensions, there's this one.

Feel free to use either of them however you wish.

RandyT

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 09:26:21 am »
I started off a Trackball Mounting topic;
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Trackball_Mounting

I've never actually used a mounting plate or kit myself (I'm used to metal control panels) so please feel free to make any corrections.

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:48:47 am »
While we're digging up old dirt, I suppose part of my mission is about this cause.  Please help out the Control Panel Hole thread if you have drilled any holes necessary to mount your trackball.

Thanks
-csa