Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maybe we should help out klov.com  (Read 3747 times)

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Maybe we should help out klov.com
« on: April 10, 2003, 12:24:42 pm »
I'm sure most of you have been to KLOV - The Killer List of Video Games... (www.klov.com)

For those of you that haven't, it's the largest reference I know of for arcade machines. It's a virtual online museum. It includes pretty much every game ever made. Problem is that they don't have pictures for everything. So that got me thinking...

We've got these emulators that can take screen shots. It's a built-in function. So why don't we start taking screen shots of all the games we can find that aren't already in the database? That way we could help fill up this awesome rerource.

I know I use this site regularly - even for learning about emulated games. That's how I find out my machine was originally a Bad Dudes. "I'm Bad!!!"

Anyone know if all the MAME games are already filled up in KLOV?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Maybe we should help out klov.com
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 01:12:08 pm »
yeah, alot of the screenshots are klov are from mame....

MameFan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 01:38:11 pm »
And a LOT of people contributed information to various sites that were then in turn STOLEN by KLOV and then COPYRIGHTED by them and they have requested the original sources stop posting the information they gave out freely to begin with!  Read the rec.games.video.arcade.collecting newsgroup for more info on the hatred for KLOV.com

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 01:40:19 pm »
And a LOT of people contributed information to various sites that were then in turn STOLEN by KLOV and then COPYRIGHTED by them and they have requested the original sources stop posting the information they gave out freely to begin with!  Read the rec.games.video.arcade.collecting newsgroup for more info on the hatred for KLOV.com

I have been reading that newsgroup daily for a ittle bit now and haven't seen any hatred towards klov.com  ???

MameFan

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 02:00:53 pm »
Here's a starting point:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=klov+copyright&meta=group%3Drec.games.video.arcade.collecting

Four out of 10 threads at the top of the google search are of interest:
Re: Anyone care that KLOV copyrighted *our* info?
Re: Klov has manuals now?
Re: What happened to klov
Re: What's the deal with klov.com ?

I'm not specifically saying they're bad.. I have got a lot of info from them, but I can see the newsgroups point... a lot of the info was contributed to other forums (eg uploaded to spies.com) only to have it leeched and then their own copyrights slapped on the same information.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 07:02:20 am »
Whoa, I have been a member of the klov.com message boards for a looong time, and I had never heard of any of that. Especially not of people being asked to "Take down Klovs copyrighted material".

As far as I can tell the site is mostly run absentee, the administrator doesn't seem to be around most of the time.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 07:37:23 am »
This is part of the disclaimer when you upload a picture

"All submissions become property of the No-Name Coin-Op Museum"

Sounds like stealing to me, or is it "extreme borrowing" because they warn you first?

Coming Soon

aj6500

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2003, 06:17:31 am
  • Does this rash look contagious?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 07:27:43 am »
That just means the photo on their server becomes their property and they can do with it what they wish and prevents linking from their site which eats up their bandwidth.  It does not affect the photo on your PC, which is your property.  It's a standard disclaimer that prevents legal action for displaying the photo, or from having people want to be paid per view of their photo.  Even w/copyrighted material you can generally use it as long as you credit the owner.
They say patience is a virtue, and ignorance is bliss.  So I guess you can have a pretty good life if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 03:04:46 am »
Exactly, that basically says in english "we are gonna post the image you donated, so don't sue us ok?"

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 10:38:01 pm »
I'm sure most of you have been to KLOV - The Killer List of Video Games... (www.klov.com)

For those of you that haven't, it's the largest reference I know of for arcade machines. It's a virtual online museum. It includes pretty much every game ever made. Problem is that they don't have pictures for everything. So that got me thinking...

We've got these emulators that can take screen shots. It's a built-in function. So why don't we start taking screen shots of all the games we can find that aren't already in the database? That way we could help fill up this awesome rerource.

I know I use this site regularly - even for learning about emulated games. That's how I find out my machine was originally a Bad Dudes. "I'm Bad!!!"

Anyone know if all the MAME games are already filled up in KLOV?

Most of the MAME games are not screenshotted or even added to the list! I did about 10 down from the top of MAME though. MAME also gives other info that is missing.
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk