Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first pinball - Evel Knievel  (Read 6645 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: My first pinball - Evel Knievel
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 01:12:51 pm »

Hard to tell from the pic if it's electrolytic for sure.  Seems like a good solution.

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2007, 11:13:10 am »
Well, I spent a few hours cleaning Evel out last night. That Novus is unbe-frickin-lievable. I took plenty of before and after pics, a couple below. It looks brand new. I used up all three boxes of #47 bulbs and could still use a few more. There are still a few lights under the playfield that aren't working but I think there may be a bad contact down there causing several to be out. I'll have to look into it. I also replaced all of the rubber rings even though they didn't look that bad at first. Glad I did because they were pretty yellow and dry when I actually started removing them. Unfortunately, I shorted out a couple of fuses when I moved the playfield so I couldn't play it in it's cleaned up state. I'll grab some more tonight. I honestly don't know how to convince myself to keep this pin when I know that it's worth a pretty penny and I can buy something more current and exciting. I'm split because I was a big fan of Evel Knievel growing up and I like having such a great find.

First and third pics are before, second is after.
I've got a fever...

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 01:00:46 pm »
There are some bumper caps on Ebay:

If your machine is a true HUO machine, for goodness' sake don't sell it until you have a good idea about what it is actually worth. You may regret it later. See if it is possible to get any documentation from the seller, and check the backbox and the cabinet to see if there are any receipts in there.

Don't play the machine until you get new pinballs.

I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:32 pm »

It's usually better to shop the underside before the play surface.  You still need to swap coil sleeves at least, clean the coils, maybe rebuild the flippers depending on condition of the armatures.  That's a dirty job so may as well do it before making things shine upside.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 01:26:31 pm »
There are some bumper caps on Ebay:
Don't play the machine until you get new pinballs.

Yeah, I saw those too. They don't look in that much better condition than mine (although one of mine is worse) so I figured I would keep on the lookout.
I got new pinballs in the Marco shipment yesterday too so I'm ready and raring to go.
I've got a fever...

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 02:38:31 pm »
Before you replace fuses, don't make the same mistake I did. Unplug the game!
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 03:02:53 pm »
Before you replace fuses, don't make the same mistake I did. Unplug the game!

Evel Knievel kills local man... News at 11.
I've got a fever...

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 03:44:36 pm »

Wow, nice find. Looks to be in excellent shape :o.
Personally I would keep it forever, I have yet to see one with a playfield in that condition.

I have a feeling you will sell it before long though. It's not the most exciting table, especially for kids.
Latest reports have Evel nearing the end so it's value will probably go up if you hang on to it for awhile.

I'm guessing you could sell it for $2500-3000 right now. You could likely buy 3 common pins from the same era for that money.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 05:24:23 pm »

Wow, nice find. Looks to be in excellent shape :o.
Personally I would keep it forever, I have yet to see one with a playfield in that condition.

I have a feeling you will sell it before long though. It's not the most exciting table, especially for kids.
Latest reports have Evel nearing the end so it's value will probably go up if you hang on to it for awhile.

I'm guessing you could sell it for $2500-3000 right now. You could likely buy 3 common pins from the same era for that money.

Spoken from the man himself. Having a pinball table is at least half for the kids in our house whether they are ours or visiting friends. I would hate like anything to have this thing get worn out or God forbid damaged because my kids are all over it all the time. Something more kid friendly, more current, and more common, might be more in line with my life situation right now.
I've got a fever...

TheOtherBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 12:04:24 am »
That playfield looks to be in GREAT shape.

If you want to, go here for spinner/target decals: http://www.classic-arcades.com

Use that novus on the round targets too if you haven't already.  It'll clean them too!

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 08:35:32 pm »
I didn't even think to clean the targets. I definitely will as they look pretty beat. Will putting a sticker on those spinner targets make it look less than original? They are painted on now. I was thinking of just touching them up with a little paint. Wouldn't the stickers wear out quickly too?
I've got a fever...