Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first pinball - Evel Knievel  (Read 6530 times)

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
My first pinball - Evel Knievel
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »
I have been checking craigslist for the last several weeks for a pinball machine as I want to branch out a bit in my gameroom. I ran across this Evel Knievel pinball and emailed as soon as I saw it (6 hours after it was posted). I had my wife call about it too and both of us talked about how much it would mean to our kids and how Evel Knievel was a hero of mine growing up (true). I just wanted the lady to know that we're a family who would use the game as opposed to some cigar smoking fat cat dealer who will just sell it to the highest bidder. It worked and she sold it to us for $516 (it's missing the leg bolts so she took some off the price). After several weeks of chasing the seller down and her getting it out of storage, we picked it up yesterday. It's it really nice condition and completely works. It needs some bulbs and a good cleaning but other than that it is great. You may notice in the pics that it has no slots for coins or coin mechs. That's because the original owner bought it to use at home and it has never been on sight. I was pretty stoked when I heard that. I'm really looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it back to 100%.
A couple of questions...
1) Do they make LED bulbs that fit the #47 slots? I know Evel Knievel's are prone to melting the plastic on the pop bumpers. All but one of mine are fine but I don't want to replace the bulbs and melt the plastic.
2) Is Wildcat 125 still the best stuff to clean the playfield with? The field is dirty with some grime but in nice shape so I want to be careful with cleaning it.
3) I noticed while surfing around that there is an upgraded speaker you can buy that supposedly enhances the sound of the game. Does this work? The sound of this game is pretty weak so I'm wondering what a speaker could do to pep that up.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig into it more.
I've got a fever...

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
Re: My first pinball - Evel Knievel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:39:05 pm »
More pics
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:24 pm »
1) Do they make LED bulbs that fit the #47 slots? I know Evel Knievel's are prone to melting the plastic on the pop bumpers. All but one of mine are fine but I don't want to replace the bulbs and melt the plastic.

Not that I've ever seen, you'll be fine with 47s.  They originally came with 44s and it's the 44s that produce enough heat to damage plastics.  You can swap out the bulb housings for LEDs, I guess, but LEDs produce a different color that will look more different than you may think.

2) Is Wildcat 125 still the best stuff to clean the playfield with? The field is dirty with some grime but in nice shape so I want to be careful with cleaning it.

It's not, IMO.  Use Novus 2 plastics polish and then wax with a pure caranuba wax (automotive is a good source).

3) I noticed while surfing around that there is an upgraded speaker you can buy that supposedly enhances the sound of the game. Does this work? The sound of this game is pretty weak so I'm wondering what a speaker could do to pep that up.

You'll get more immediate results from rebuilding the audio circuit as the caps in there are very likely near death.  Doing that in combination with replacing the speaker (making sure the new one matches the original's impedance) will work well.

BTW, great choice, that's a quality title.

EDIT:  oh crap, if that's really a HUO title, you've got a pricey pin there that you could probably sell off to a collector for enough to get at least a couple good regular pins.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the input, Chad. I actually found this site that has LED 47's, but they're $11 each!  :dizzy:
http://www.powerlineleds.com/lamps_bayonet.asp?c=49&gclid=CPGJ7qO1gYsCFR6AWAodQDz-Jw

I'll look into the Novus polish and hopefully I'll keep learning about the sound as I get into it more.
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:11:46 pm »

I heartily recommend pinballlife.com for bulbs and pretty much anything else they carry.  Always the best prices and always the best service.

Head to marvin3m.com for the most detailed info out there on pinball maintenance and repair.

TheOtherBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 02:16:53 pm »
Nice find.... glad to see it's getting a good home.

Make sure you check out the battery right away.  It could still be the original battery in there..... yikes....

Anyways... Have fun!!!  :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:21:15 pm »

That's a good point. That machine probably has a hardwired battery that is long past its usable life... you'll be lucky if it hasn't started leaking.  The battery should be removed immediately and (if you want but not necessary) replaced by a remote battery holder with a pair of AAs.  Backup battery leakage is the biggest damager of pinball MPUs and one of the first things you check upon getting a new old pin.

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:04:09 pm »
Thanks for the input, Chad. I actually found this site that has LED 47's, but they're $11 each! 

I wouldn't use LED's,  the light output tends to be too directional.  Regular incandecent lamps "spill" lots of light to the sides, this effectively lights the playfield while illuminating the plastics.   LED's under the plastics won't give you uniform lighting and will likely make the playfield seem dark.

Use 47's in place of the 44's for the General illumination circuits, this will cut heat slightly as well as lighten the electrical load a little.  I like to keep 44's for feature lights.   Your game won't be on 24/7 like a route machine, so warped plastics won't be as likely.

Good score BTW !!

D

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:35:05 pm »
If your pop bumper caps are melted, Pinball Resource has near identical caps for sale, relatively cheap.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 06:00:08 pm »
If your pop bumper caps are melted, Pinball Resource has near identical caps for sale, relatively cheap.

Cool! I'll check it out. I was googling for them but wasn't finding much. Great input guys.  :cheers:
I've got a fever...

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:01:37 pm »
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:17:06 pm »
Don't use Wildcat 125---it will yellow the playfield. Get yourself some Novus #2 polish for this machine.

ringram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2021, 05:25:37 pm
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 08:54:24 pm »
great machine. The playfield and backplane look great.

To clean the playfield, I use wax remover for the car. It's mild enough and works well. I cleaned off a lot of gunk off an old machine that way. Then, get some pure carnuba wax and coat the playfield with it. Buff it up well. This will make big improovment in the play of the machine as well as help preserve the playfield. If the the ball looks dull at all, replace it. This will also speed up game play. Put on some new rubbers on the machine and it'll be like new.

www.marvin3m.com is an excellant resource. pbresource is great for parts as well.

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 10:17:21 pm »
I personally love Wildcat No. 125 for painted playfields...Am I the only one that does?
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 11:11:42 pm »
Please do something with that coin door...It is like looking up Barbies skirt!   :D

Nice score BTW..  :cheers:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:05 pm »
I personally love Wildcat No. 125 for painted playfields...Am I the only one that does?

I used to sing the praises of Wildcat until about 20 years ago. Several people had begun noticing the playfields yellowing and those that had mylar overlays were lifting off or bubbling. Plus the fact it has been confimed to leech the the plasticizers out of plastic ramps causing them to become brittle, yellow, and disintegrate. I use Novus # 2 exclusively now.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 02:06:50 pm »

Most people stopped using Wildcat a long time ago, as Ken says.  It is faster, yes, but doesn't do nearly the job of long term protection that Novus and caranuba do.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:23:58 pm »
Novus #1 and #2 ordered as well as new pinballs, #47 bulbs, and a rubber ring kit. I can't find the "EK" pop bumper caps anywhere. Anyone know of someone who has them?
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 02:31:43 pm »

Haven't ever looked for those, so I don't have any specific leads.  I'd try rec.games.pinball first.  Those actually aren't so bad so you can just clean them up as well as possible and wait on the right caps to come along from a partout if they're  not reproed.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 02:54:32 pm »
Considering the strange bumper caps I've seen reproed so far, I'd be really surprised if they weren't available somewhere. Fortunately, only one is burnt and it's not even that bad. I got the legs bolted on last night so it's actually standing up rather than sitting on the ground patiently waiting for one of my kids to drop a bike/skooter/skate/remote control car on top of it. I can't wait to get it in the house and into the basement.
I've got a fever...

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 08:04:59 pm »
Those caps look identical to those on my Bally Firecracker, save for the 1,000 point one (mine are all 100 when lit). PBR does have them  Check this page. They are there.
http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 11:27:44 pm »
Why would they put Evel Knievel's initials on your Bally Firecracker?

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 09:16:02 am »

He's not paying attention again and talking about the wrong set of caps.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 10:54:15 am »
Yeah, my regular caps are fine. It's just the "EK" caps that have some meltage going on. Glad to hear the #47 bulbs won't do any additional damage.
I found the battery last night I think. It is a blue AA that is soldered to the board. It looks fine but I think it may have been replaced at some point. I think I will take your advice and solder a battery compartment on there so I can switch them out easier and replace this one just in case.
I cleaned up the outside of the cabinet and a lot of the grime came off really nicely. The paint is still aged looking (mostly the white looking a bit creamy) but the reds and blues look great. I need to get some paint swatches to color match the faded white so that I can touch up a few areas where the paint has either flaked all the way off or been scratched. I'm really looking forward to cleaning the playfield but I'm not touching it until the Novus gets here.
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:11 am »

From what I've seen of guys who do cab paint touchups... either do it well or don't do it.  I've seen a lot of guys do a mediocre job and it's worse than the damage that was there before.  Just looks stupid.  I'm not saying you can't do it well, but if it's a first time task for you, consider that advice.

If there is an AA soldered directly to the board in no holder than yes it is a hack.  That would never come from the factory like that.  What you would want to do is solder in a couple of wires that run to a battery holder not attached to the MPU.  That way if it leaks it won't leak on your board.  Use velcro to attach the battery holder to the inner wall of the backbox.

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 01:53:54 pm »
If you're going with regular AA's don't forget the blocking diode.  Banded side of diode towards the pcb's + pin.

Just go here for the details: http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/index1.htm#battery

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 02:40:17 pm »

He's not paying attention again and talking about the wrong set of caps.

He said POP bumpers. The bumpers with the EK caps are not POP bumpers, they are PASSIVE bumpers. The POP bumper caps are the same as those on my Firecracker. The PASSIVE bumper caps are not. Everyone seemed to be talking about POP bumpers, including the owner of the machine, so I said something that I thought to be helpful.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 02:42:20 pm »

Those EK bumpers don't have coils under them?  Didn't know that, never played an EK.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 02:52:38 pm »
I'm still learning the language of pins. I guess sometimes they are referred to as passive bumpers too?
If you're going with regular AA's don't forget the blocking diode.  Banded side of diode towards the pcb's + pin.

Just go here for the details: http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/index1.htm#battery

I will research this further. Thanks for the link.
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 02:55:39 pm »

Basically, if you don't put in the diode, the board will try and recharge the AA.  Bad for that type of battery.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 03:04:36 pm »
It's my understanding that it is a rechargable battery in there already. If I simply move that off the board I should be safe, right? Perhaps I'll replace it with a new NiCD rechargeable as well just to be safer.
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 03:06:16 pm »

That would be overthinking it.  You have no idea if it's charging reasonably within the tolerances of that particular battery.  Just put in the diode and use regular AA.

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 04:10:37 pm »

That would be overthinking it.  You have no idea if it's charging reasonably within the tolerances of that particular battery.  Just put in the diode and use regular AA.

How long would the AA battery last? It would kinda suck to have to change it once a month or something.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 04:13:34 pm »
It's keeping a tiny 25+ year old RAM chip happy.  It may last years if the circuit doesn't have a leak to ground someplace.  Most people say to replace it once a year just to be safe.

EDIT:  changing chip term, for some reason I had typed eeprom.  I think it's actually DRAM, but could be a different RAM type.  Definitely volatile memory, though, as that is why you need the battery.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:16:06 pm by ChadTower »

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »

If there is an AA soldered directly to the board in no holder than yes it is a hack.  That would never come from the factory like that. 

It is actually a 3.6 volt ni-cad battery (should be)
(the same ones on Bally/Midway's MCR games)
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 08:10:42 pm »
If you *really* want to put a nicad back in there you can always go and pick up a cordless phone battery (3.6v like Q*Bert said) and just mount it in the backbox away from the mpu.  Use long enough wire so that your chances of nicad problems are less.  And don't use a blocking diode for a nicad or it won't charge.  I can't see you having a problem with regular maintenance.  Then again, a new mpu will cost a lot too......

Last time I picked up a cordless phone battery from Scrap (Radio) Shack the one I grabbed was on close out..... for free.

btw- Those little EK bumpers are passive.  No coils.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:12:14 pm by TheOtherBob »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 09:17:26 am »

Like this?

Sounds like it may work but honestly, I wouldn't trust ANY battery soldered directly to the board.  The benefit is getting the dangerous battery OFF of the MPU.  If you insist on not doing that, I'd advise looking into a mod to get an EEPROM on there instead so the issue is gone entirely.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 12:09:35 pm »
Isn't there also a modification for Ballys to install a capacitor that slowly discharges to keep the RAM alive? I believe it is in the Marvin3m Guide.

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 12:35:15 pm »
I definitely plan on moving the battery off the board as soon as possible. Sounds like that 3.6V NiCD is a good choice.
I've got a fever...

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 01:01:16 pm »
from the guide, if you are interested. A cap will never leak (unless it's electrolytic and you install backwards. Boom!)

Memory Back-Up Capacitors.
      If one insists on having a battery (can't live without those high scores!), I would recommend installing a memory back-up capacitor instead. These capacitors will charge when the game is on, and slowly discharge to keep the memory alive when the game is off. The advantage to these capacitors is they never wear out, and they won't leak corrosive materials. The best of all worlds in my opinion. Their down side is the game must be on for about one hour every month to maintain their charge (though I have heard them keeping a charge up to six months). Also, the game must be on for about several hours continuously to initially charge the capacitor. These capacitors are about the size of half a single AA battery. Jameco (800-831-4242) sells 1 Farad memory caps, part# 142957, $3.95 each, $3.49 for ten or more.

Installing the Memory Back-Up Capacitor.
      After removing the battery and addressing any board corrosion, install the memory back-up capacitor. Drill a hole for the second lead of the back-up cap, just to the side of the negative battery lead (see picture above). Then mount the cap in the board, and bend the leads to hold it in place. Solder the cap in place. On the second lead which goes throught the hole drilled, solder a two inch wire. Extend the wire to the other battery terminial hole on the MPU board. Note the minus and positive leads were not labeled on the cap I installed. There was only a black line on the cap to designate the negative lead.