Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: hiscore diff (with no nag/white box removal)  (Read 616752 times)

MKChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
Re: hiscore diff (with no nag/white box removal)
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:19 pm »
I asked for separate diff's a while back, and the suggestion was that you can search the diff and take out what you don't want easily. I've been doing this lately (I like the basic startup messages "Initializing" but I hate seeing "Decoding (57%)" and stuff like that. Well, it's not exactly trivial (and I'm a software engineer!). So I'd like to second this request! How about zipping up separate diff files so there's one download but multiple diff's?

Ok...instead of creating and maintaining separate diffs...I incorporated the ability to turn on/off portions of the patch via the mame.ini file. By default, the patches are enabled. To disable a portion of the patch add the appropiate line to your mame.ini file. Let me know how it works for you guys....

disable_hiscore_patch   1   <- To disable highscore support. Set to 0 or omit it entirely from ini file to enable.
disable_crosshair_patch   1  <- To disable crosshairs off by default. Set to 0 or omit it entirely from ini file to enable.
disable_nagscreen_patch   1  <- To disable removal of nagscreens /white box. Set to 0 or omit it entirely from ini file to enable.
disable_loading_patch   1      <- To disable suppresssion of loading/decypting/etc messages. Set to 0 or omit it entirely from ini file to enable.

Uploaded hi_127a.txt with this in it. If this works out, it'll be in all the future diffs.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:35 pm »
Awesome! I'll try it out hopefully soon, and give you feedback once I do.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

retrometro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2008, 11:35:25 pm »
Uploaded hi_127a.txt with this in it. If this works out, it'll be in all the future diffs.

Very much appreciated!  BTW, I'm still running v0.126.  If I patched the 126 source, would it break?  Thanks.

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2008, 11:46:15 pm »
Very much appreciated!  BTW, I'm still running v0.126.  If I patched the 126 source, would it break?  Thanks.

Unfortunately, there were considerable changes from 126 to 127 so some of the sections of the patch will fail if trying to patch 126 with 127. The good news is at least you aren't at 109 or some old version so it wouldn't take much to get your romset up to sync for 127 ;-) ... although it IS about a 600 meg difference between 126 and 127...and that doesn't include the 12 gig laser game.

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2008, 08:18:19 am »
Thanks.  I'll see if I have any problems and go to 127 if I do.  so far so good.  I don't remember seeing any major errors during patching or compiling.

I had just upgraded from 118 to 126 recently so I'd rather wait another 6-12 months before plunging in again unless there're some new features or games that pops up (e.g. Typing of the Dead).

12gb for that cube laserdisc game????  that's ridiculous.  is it b/c of the way mame needs to store it or that game really does have that much footage??? 
-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:10 am »
I hope this is the soultion to my problem as this was driving me MAD the other day!!!  :hissy:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=6108&st=0&gopid=44534&#entry44534

Will try and recompile when I get home today as I went back to mame32 in the meantime.  :dizzy:
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

vinnievegas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2017, 06:41:04 pm
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:57 am »
OK... I have downloaded the 127 source, and applied all patches (127u1 - 127u6) to the source. I then applies the Hiscore diff patch for 127u6. I compiled, and everything works great!
My question is... when the new hiscore diff patces come out for 127u7, and so on..., do I have to start from scratch again, or do I apply the MAME update patches then the corresponding hiscore diff patch?

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2008, 11:14:46 am »
Strange, I've been compiling for a while now and this is the first time I've run into an error:

Archiving obj/windows/mame/libemu.a...
Linking mame.exe...
obj/windows/mame/mame/jaleco.a(cischeat.o):cischeat.c:(.rdata+0x800): undefined
reference to `cischeat_shift_r'
obj/windows/mame/mame/jaleco.a(cischeat.o):cischeat.c:(.rdata+0x1b4c): undefined
obj/windows/mame/mame/jaleco.a(cischeat.o):cischeat.c:(.rdata+0x31ac): undefined
obj/windows/mame/mame/namco.a(namcos12.o):namcos12.c:(.text+0x9d3): undefined re
ference to `at28c16_init'
obj/windows/mame/mame/namco.a(namcos12.o):namcos12.c:(.rdata+0x1340): undefined
reference to `nvram_handler_at28c16_0'
obj/windows/mame/mame/namco.a(namcos12.o):namcos12.c:(.rdata+0x8bdc): undefined
reference to `at28c16_0_r'
obj/windows/mame/mame/namco.a(namcos12.o):namcos12.c:(.rdata+0x8be8): undefined
reference to `at28c16_0_w'
obj/windows/mame/mame/taito.a(taitosj.o):taitosj.c:(.text+0x722): undefined refe
rence to `taitosj_register_main_savestate'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
mingw32-make: *** [mame.exe] Error 1

Anyone have any suggestions?

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:36 pm »
Try doing a clean compile. FYI, MAME 128 came out today.

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Canada
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2008, 07:46:03 pm »
Try doing a clean compile. FYI, MAME 128 came out today.

??? What do you mean a clean compile? This was a from scratch 128 compile.  I grabbed the 128 source from the website, grabbed the hiscore.dat and compiled and this is the error I got.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:53 pm »
??? What do you mean a clean compile? This was a from scratch 128 compile.  I grabbed the 128 source from the website, grabbed the hiscore.dat and compiled and this is the error I got.

Did you delete the OBJ folder before compiling? Try deleting all the folders completely...unzipping the new 128 source and apply just the hi_128.diff ( I assume you meant the hiscore diff and not dat file...totally different files).
I know for certain that the hiscore diff does not patch anything in the cischeat.c, namcos12.c or taitosj.c files so this has to be something that was modified in the core.

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Canada
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2008, 11:25:30 pm »

Did you delete the OBJ folder before compiling? Try deleting all the folders completely...unzipping the new 128 source and apply just the hi_128.diff ( I assume you meant the hiscore diff and not dat file...totally different files).
I know for certain that the hiscore diff does not patch anything in the cischeat.c, namcos12.c or taitosj.c files so this has to be something that was modified in the core.

Yah I always clear the directory.  Maybe I didn't copy the makefile over, I'm going to wipe the mess and try again.

jjurmann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2012, 04:56:28 am
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2008, 03:00:09 pm »
Strange, I've been compiling for a while now and this is the first time I've run into an error:

Linking mame.exe...
obj/windows/mame/mame/jaleco.a(cischeat.o):cischeat.c:(.rdata+0x1b4c): undefined
obj/windows/mame/mame/jaleco.a(cischeat.o):cischeat.c:(.rdata+0x31ac): undefined
obj/windows/mame/mame/namco.a(namcos12.o):namcos12.c:(.text+0x9d3): undefined re
obj/windows/mame/mame/taito.a(taitosj.o):taitosj.c:(.text+0x722): undefined refe

I'm getting the same thing. I deleted and retried and the same thing. I even tried on another machine and got the same errors. :dunno

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2008, 02:17:37 am »

Linking mame.exe...

I'm getting the same thing. I deleted and retried and the same thing. I even tried on another machine and got the same errors. :dunno

Are you two guys applying any other patches other than the hiscore patch? Like I stated in a previous post, the hiscore patch doesn't even touch these files and I saw a post on Headkaze's compiler thread that he patch 32 and 64 bit 128 no problem...and I got 128 patched and compiled as well.

candycabguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2009, 12:47:10 pm
« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2008, 09:00:46 pm »
New to compiling as well, lil help?

Trying to put hi_126 into MAME .126, downloaded the sourcefile from MAMEDEV, compiled fine, then patched hi_126.diff (saved as diff from original .txt file).  STILL NO SAVES!

the 126 source from MAMEDEV INCLUDES the 5 updates, correct?  If not, where do I get them?

YES, I have a HI subfolder and the current hiscore DAT file!

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Lee
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:09:04 pm by candycabguy »

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2008, 12:02:59 am »
New to compiling as well, lil help?

Trying to put hi_126 into MAME .126, downloaded the sourcefile from MAMEDEV, compiled fine, then patched hi_126.diff (saved as diff from original .txt file).  STILL NO SAVES!

the 126 source from MAMEDEV INCLUDES the 5 updates, correct?  If not, where do I get them?

YES, I have a HI subfolder and the current hiscore DAT file!

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Lee

Sounds like your 'order' if off a bit. Download the source. Patch the source with the hi_126.diff, THEN compile. If you want the latest MAME source with all the updates, then grab 128 source and then patch that with the hi_128 patch...THEN compile it. 126 source will not contain any u updates for that release...

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »
Hey MKChamp I've noticed with 128 you've added a "skip_gameinfo" option but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is that just something you've accidently left in there from an old patch or is there some reason for it?

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2008, 06:13:53 pm »
Hey MKChamp I've noticed with 128 you've added a "skip_gameinfo" option but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is that just something you've accidently left in there from an old patch or is there some reason for it?

Actually, that isn't anything I've added. That is apart of the MAME core. I believe it does skip certain screens...but not any of the nag screens.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2008, 12:28:13 am »
Actually, that isn't anything I've added. That is apart of the MAME core. I believe it does skip certain screens...but not any of the nag screens.

Heh for some reason I thought it was a new option but looks like it's been around for a while now.

gman314

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2013, 03:12:39 pm
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2008, 06:04:04 pm »
Hello everybody.  I'm trying to complie Mame 127 with the hi score diff patch from the beginning of this page, but have been unsuccessful numerous times.  After I apply the patch (either following the instructions on Mr. Do's page or by using Headkaze's complier), I receive the same long error message from a few posts above (after like a half hour of scanning).  :banghead: Now, do I have to apply all of the intermediate update patches in order to successfully complie with the hi score diff patch?  Unfortunately, the intermediate update files for previous versions of Mame are no longer on the MAMEDEV page.  (Also, I really don't want to compile Mame 128, since I am using a complete 127 rom set.) 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I haven't had much success on my own.  Better yet, if somebody has already complied 127 with the "hi score/ nag screen removal" patch, would it be possible to post it?   :) 
I'm in the final steps of setting up my cab, and need to save hi scores!

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2008, 06:21:32 pm »
The 127 source code is here:

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=mame0127s.zip

If you want the base 127 use that and only apply the hi_127a.diff (txt) from the first page of this thread.

The updates are here:

http://mamedev.org/updates/

You can patch the source with all the 127 updates before apllying the 127a.diff

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2008, 04:19:43 pm »
I just wanted to say that I successfully compiled my own Mame 127.  This is a big accomplishment for me since I am normally terrible at this stuff.  One stupid question though:  Since I created the command line version, I'm not sure how to access the preferences so that I can enable joystick input and play around with some of the other options.  Any advice?   :)

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
I just wanted to say that I successfully compiled my own Mame 127.  This is a big accomplishment for me since I am normally terrible at this stuff.  One stupid question though:  Since I created the command line version, I'm not sure how to access the preferences so that I can enable joystick input and play around with some of the other options.  Any advice?   :)

Create a text file in the same folder as your Mame executable, with the following text, then save it as CreateConfig.bat (change mame.exe to match your Mame executable)

-- CreateConfig.bat --
Code: [Select]
mame.exe -cc
Now just double click the CreateConfig.bat and it will create a mame.ini you can edit in Notepad. You could of course just run that from a command prompt but I'm assuming you don't know how to do that.

Denverlatino

• ---Buyer Beware - transactions with this user are in dispute--- ... Banned ...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2009, 02:55:24 pm
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:32 pm »
is it , just me? The cheat option dosnt work....
[transactions in dispute -- see http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=77030.0]
... Banned ...

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »
is it , just me? The cheat option dosnt work....

The cheat engine has totally been overhauled. Do a search for 'cheat' over at mameworld for all the info. The most important factor is the cheat.dat is no longer used. It now uses xml.

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »

Create a text file in the same folder as your Mame executable, with the following text, then save it as CreateConfig.bat (change mame.exe to match your Mame executable)

-- CreateConfig.bat --
mame.exe -cc
Now just double click the CreateConfig.bat and it will create a mame.ini you can edit in Notepad. You could of course just run that from a command prompt but I'm assuming you don't know how to do that.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "change mame.exe to match your Mame executable", since Mame.exe is already my mame executable.  Also, inside the batch file that I need to create, is mame.exe -cc the only thing I need to enter, or do I physically need to type -- CreateConfig.bat -- in the line above it?  :dunno

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »

-- CreateConfig.bat --
mame.exe -cc

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "change mame.exe to match your Mame executable", since Mame.exe is already my mame executable.  Also, inside the batch file that I need to create, is mame.exe -cc the only thing I need to enter, or do I physically need to type -- CreateConfig.bat -- in the line above it?  :dunno

That would be the only line you write in notepad:

mame.exe -cc

save the file as CreateConfig.bat in the same folder that the mame.exe file is and then 'open' or 'run' the newly created file.

OR....

You can open a command prompt...migrate to the mame folder via cd command. So, if your mame.exe is in c:\mame, all you type at the command prompt would be "cd c:\mame"
and then type "mame -cc" at the command prompt and the mame.ini magically appears :-)

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2008, 07:34:48 pm »
So I'm assuming that, in order to enable a particular option, I would just change any "0" to a "1" through the mame.ini file, right?

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »
So I'm assuming that, in order to enable a particular option, I would just change any "0" to a "1" through the mame.ini file, right?

Yep, that is it!

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »
Anybody else had trouble compiling using the hiscore diff and SailorSat's cabmame diff's? The high score one works fine but if I try it using both sets of diff's I get errors.

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »
I compiled Mame 128U3 along with the hi 128 diff no errors everything seemed to go smoothly. Though My high scores doesn't seem to be saving say with Galaga for example I got a score of around 50000 but after putting in my initials then exiting the game and loading it back up later it's set back to 20000 points. Any ideas? :(

*Edit* I figured it out for some reason I placed the highscore.dat in the hi folder  :banghead:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:53:35 pm by Hunk_4TH »

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2008, 12:19:27 am »
I compiled Mame 128U3 along with the hi 128 diff no errors everything seemed to go smoothly. Though My high scores doesn't seem to be saving say with Galaga for example I got a score of around 50000 but after putting in my initials then exiting the game and loading it back up later it's set back to 20000 points. Any ideas? :(

*Edit* I figured it out for some reason I placed the highscore.dat in the hi folder  :banghead:

Don't bang your head...at least you figured it out on your own before someone pointed it out to you ;-)

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:04 am »
Yeah I feel kind of dumb now like why didn't I think of that! Ha ha thanks for such an awesome patch MKChamp  8)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2008, 06:56:53 pm »
It's reported there have been substantial changes to the MAME source with .128u4... has anyone compiled HS support in to .128u4? 
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »
I've compiled it seems to be working for me.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2008, 08:23:14 pm »
It's reported there have been substantial changes to the MAME source with .128u4... has anyone compiled HS support in to .128u4? 

I have...that's why I had to upload a new diff for 128u4. The way it reads/copies memory and accesses CPUs changed. Tested a few games before I
uploaded the diff and all seemed good.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2008, 07:08:57 pm »
When I go to visit http://www.mameworld.net/highscore/ my anti-virus software is detecting the JS/TrojanDownloader.Small.NAT and JS/TrojanDownloader.Small.NBF trojan. Anyone else getting that?

EDIT: The site was hacked but has now been fixed
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:52:11 am by headkaze »

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2008, 04:13:01 pm »
Hmmm ...

I was able to compile mame .128 using the posted 128 - 128u3 patch, easy as pie thanks to the mame64 compiler.
The nag screens are gone, but the hi score isn't working ... I created a hi folder, and placed the hiscore.dat file in my mame folder, but it never saves my score (using Radiant Silvergun to test it). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2008, 08:20:37 pm »
Hmmm ...

I was able to compile mame .128 using the posted 128 - 128u3 patch, easy as pie thanks to the mame64 compiler.
The nag screens are gone, but the hi score isn't working ... I created a hi folder, and placed the hiscore.dat file in my mame folder, but it never saves my score (using Radiant Silvergun to test it). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

That's an easy one to answer, hiscore.dat doesn't support that game. How do I know that? If you open up hiscore.dat in a text editor and search for rsgun it doesn't find anything.

Also the game does not have save state support so there is really no way to keep hiscores for this game. You could of course read the tutorial on creating a hiscore.dat entry for the game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:23:29 pm by headkaze »

dcninj4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2009, 10:43:46 pm
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2008, 12:52:42 am »
anyone have aa 64 bit version of mame with the highscore saves, and the nag, encoding, and warning screens disabled?