Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: hiscore diff (with no nag/white box removal)  (Read 616807 times)

Squeeky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2012, 04:10:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Makre $220 for Free, Follow My Tutorial
Re: hiscore diff (with no nag/white box removal)
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2008, 07:50:42 pm »
I'm having issues with hiscore.diff.  I followed the guides and I was able to get a set compiled.  I'm able to boot the roms without the warnings but the hiscores have not been kept.  Ive also added the directory "HI" to the root directory of mame.  Any other ideas let me know.

Thanks
Squeeky

t3ckn0b0y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2008, 11:50:16 pm
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2008, 12:43:44 am »
I'm having issues with hiscore.diff.  I followed the guides and I was able to get a set compiled.  I'm able to boot the roms without the warnings but the hiscores have not been kept. 

Do you happen to have hiscore.dat in your mame directory
and a line like

hiscore_directory         hi

in your mame.ini

31spoonerstreet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2015, 07:38:48 pm
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:30 pm »
Just wanted to add my huge thanks for the efforts of those that put this together.  I know it is a good deal of work but it makes things that much nicer that we can again save our high scores.  Thanks again.

hellothere123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2021, 03:39:27 am
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »
I follwed Mr. Do's instructions to the T.

I put a hi folder in mame folder and added the hiscore file to the mame folder.
 I put the lastest diff in mamescr

What do I do now?

I can't find any insructions on what is the next step...sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Thanks!

MKChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »
If you followed Mr. DO's instructions to the T, then you woud be done :-)
What exactly have you done so far...need more info before I can give help. Did you 'compile'? Did you create the new mame.exe? What source are you starting with? Latest stable or a u release? Have you tried using Headkaze's compiler? This might be the route to go as it makes compiling simple even for those that have no experience with computers!
Take a look at his thread here and grab his program to help with compiling:
Headkaze's MAME Compiler

majorspawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2014, 01:56:14 am
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09:46 pm »
HI All,

when I compiled ver 0.123 with the hi score patch i cannot see the menu text on the emulator. This does not happen with a normal build of mame of the same version whn run in the same folder. So this illuminates font file corruption etc. Does anyone have an idea what caused it? i can only put it down to the hi score 0123 patch and this specific build..

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
Didn't they already addressed this partially over at your thread here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=146090&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

There's nothing in the hiscore patch that would cause this and it is not occuring for any of the other users (users specific to using this patch). Did you try what they suggested over there? I noticed you never replied to their suggestions...

hellothere123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2021, 03:39:27 am
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2008, 11:25:19 pm »
Here's the guide for what diff to download (change extention from .txt to .diff) Also, if you don't see your file attached to this post, check further down. Only 8 files per post allowed)

how do you change .txt to .diff

forget it I saw your other post:

open file, file/save as...change text file to All files and then chenge the filename to ____.diff

and save

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:46:15 pm by hellothere123 »

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2008, 12:54:38 am »
MKChamp, this is great, and we all appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining this. I'm wondering if it would make sense to break up the diff into separate diffs for each feature, allowing the users to pick and choose. For instance, maybe someone wants the hiscore and nag diffs only. I'm not sure what all I'd like to ignore, but I know I don't like the "pause on tab" feature because I always tend to pause first, then hit tab, which then unpauses it.

With headkaze's compiler, it's really as easy to apply a handful of diffs as it is to apply a single one, so unless there is some other good reason to keep everything lumped in 1 diff, I'd rather download it as a zip of diffs.

What are your thoughts, MKChamp (and anyone else for that matter)?
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

majorspawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2014, 01:56:14 am
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:11 am »
I have tried their suggestions, however the files they mention do not exist in the directory also if I run the normal version of mame 0.123 in the same directory the fonts are fine. When I run the hi score version this problem occurs. This is why I posted this problem in this thread.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:48 am »
I have tried their suggestions, however the files they mention do not exist in the directory also if I run the normal version of mame 0.123 in the same directory the fonts are fine. When I run the hi score version this problem occurs. This is why I posted this problem in this thread.

Try compiling the latest u release with and without the hiscore diff (123u6 is the current latest) and see if it still exists. The diff changed in 123u3 somewhat and it *may* help you. I haven't heard anyone else with your problem. I still don't think this has to do with the hiscore diff. I would bet if you compiled your own 123 without the hiscore diff, you'd get the same result....

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2008, 10:42:02 am »
MKChamp, this is great, and we all appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining this. I'm wondering if it would make sense to break up the diff into separate diffs for each feature, allowing the users to pick and choose. For instance, maybe someone wants the hiscore and nag diffs only. I'm not sure what all I'd like to ignore, but I know I don't like the "pause on tab" feature because I always tend to pause first, then hit tab, which then unpauses it.

With headkaze's compiler, it's really as easy to apply a handful of diffs as it is to apply a single one, so unless there is some other good reason to keep everything lumped in 1 diff, I'd rather download it as a zip of diffs.

What are your thoughts, MKChamp (and anyone else for that matter)?

When 124 comes out I am going to upload a new diff that has comments in every section where changes were made. This would make it easy for someone to just delete the sections they don't want.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »
When 124 comes out I am going to upload a new diff that has comments in every section where changes were made. This would make it easy for someone to just delete the sections they don't want.

Sounds great. Does that mean that it's more trouble than it's worth to break everything up into separate diffs? I would think that would be more ideal for the end user, and I wouldn't think it would be much more work (if any) to update from version to version. But what do I know? ;)
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2008, 06:34:36 pm »

Sounds great. Does that mean that it's more trouble than it's worth to break everything up into separate diffs? I would think that would be more ideal for the end user, and I wouldn't think it would be much more work (if any) to update from version to version. But what do I know? ;)

Yea, it would be more work for me...and I am lazy by nature. I would have to diff the source for every modification...maintain the diff's etc. Also, it's not hard to remove sections from the diff you don't want. Ex., if you don't want the pause/enter key changed, just remove the inptport.c section. Which, the more I think of it, should probably be removed anyway, since you can just set up the keys in the MAME config...
The only other section I can see people may not wanting would be the disabled crosshairs by default. To get rid of that, just delete the crsshair.c section.
At any rate, the 124 diff will have comments in every place that has modifications...you'll just have to search the diff for "MKChamp".

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:33 pm »
I'm lazy by nature too, so I don't blame you! ;D

Good point about the pause - I can alter it on my system for now, but I agree about removing it - it's more of a configuration thing than altered functionality.

I'm also leaning on not wanting the nag part. I understand that it prevents the user from seeing messages about non-perfect emulation and the like, and I don't mind the nag screens because you do it once and then you don't have to do it again.

Thanks MKChamp. I appreciate your continual efforts on this diff, and for entertaining my suggestion.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2008, 07:50:27 pm »
Then perhaps there should be an inclusion to the file that states how to disable certain parts if you don't want them?  Kind of like a "How-To".
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

Yarb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2019, 01:18:30 pm
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2008, 02:25:04 am »
Since .124 was recalled I presume a .124a dif is forthcoming? Someone might want to kill the old .124 dif if it will not work with the fixed .124a

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:14 am »
Since .124 was recalled I presume a .124a dif is forthcoming? Someone might want to kill the old .124 dif if it will not work with the fixed .124a
hi_124 diff works perfectly for 124a...and hopefully will work for many future releases!

Yarb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2019, 01:18:30 pm
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08:15 am »
Thanks Champ!!!

keirondrk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 05:52:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:08 am »
Hey thanks for the constant updates!!!!! getting ready to apply  your .124u1 ;) ... did a test with the standard 124 hiscore but as I'm sure your aware it wouldn't compile yesterday..

keep up with the excellent work!

been playing with your art downloader too ;)

whoozwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2009, 02:31:45 am
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2008, 12:21:46 am »
Hey. I've been reading this so I thought I would try it. I compiled hi_123 against the unpatched mame 123 sources and everything worked fine. I made a backup of my old binaries just in case and replaced with the new ones. I'm able to run games with no nag screens and some roms keep my high scores so it was a partial success. However some roms, Karnov being a prime example, do not save the high score. I've seen the rom referenced in the hi score files so I'm thinking that the rom is supported but I've not been able to get it working. Any ideas?

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2008, 01:41:48 pm »
Did you use ANY cheats?  Things such a region cheat, or any cheat at all, will prevent ANY high scores from saving.  Also, you have the hi.dat in your main MAME directory, and it is not marked as "read-only"?
Donkey Kong High Scores:

keirondrk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:00 am »
wow gotta say that was amazingly quick... I was sitting here waiting a while before checking for a .124u2 hiscore diff... only to find you had already done it!!!!...  :notworthy:

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2008, 11:27:20 am »
Anyone that downloaded 124u2 before 10:25am central time may want to re-download it. I had to upload a new one because the white box removal code wasn't completely in there...

keirondrk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2008, 02:22:59 pm »
ops thanks :) thought I was noticing more dialogue boxes then "mkchamp patched" usual.

will get that recompiliing...

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2008, 02:58:06 pm »
wow gotta say that was amazingly quick... I was sitting here waiting a while before checking for a .124u2 hiscore diff... only to find you had already done it!!!!...  :notworthy:

And ya see what happens when it's that quick ;-)
Drinking doesn't help either!

keirondrk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2008, 03:14:33 pm »
 :dizzy: and still a excellent source update, even with the odd message box  :dizzy:
 :laugh2:

no complaints this end ;) ,, just get it rebuilding .. if it wasn't for your community efforts most of us would all just have to without completely..

just wish my laptop did it quicker..
I always delete all of my old source files and start on a fresh official mame source and reapply all diffs and your patch every time.. not sure if I really have too but at least I know it's clean..

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »
I always delete all of my old source files and start on a fresh official mame source and reapply all diffs and your patch every time.. not sure if I really have too but at least I know it's clean..

Yes you should start fresh each time.

MKChamp: You know what they say, don't drink and patch!  :cheers:

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2008, 05:31:10 pm »
you can patch with the -R parameter and the old hiscore diff,

then patch the new mame diff and new hiscore diff in that order

thanks for keeping this upto date :)

kingb33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2011, 09:26:14 pm
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2008, 12:56:56 am »
Hi! Please help!!!  When I try to compile using headkaze's mame compiler i get errors.  I'm patching using:

hi_124
hi_124u1.diff
hi_124u2.diff

When i patch the 0124 source with the latest 2 updates to the source "without" the 3 high score .diffs it compiles just fine....

Here is the error i get at the end of the compile

cc1.exe: warnings being treated as errors
src/osd/windows/video.c: In function 'osd_update_hi':
Finished!
0 Hours 16 Minutes and 38 Seconds Elapsed.
src/osd/windows/video.c:233: warning: passing argument 1 of 'winwindow_process_events' makes pointer from integer without a cast
src/osd/windows/video.c:233: error: too few arguments to function 'winwindow_process_events'
src/osd/windows/video.c:234: error: too few arguments to function 'wininput_poll'
src/osd/windows/video.c: At top level:
src/osd/windows/video.c:245: error: redefinition of 'osd_update_hi'
src/osd/windows/video.c:224: error: previous definition of 'osd_update_hi' was here
src/osd/windows/video.c: In function 'osd_update_hi':
src/osd/windows/video.c:254: warning: passing argument 1 of 'winwindow_process_events' makes pointer from integer without a cast
src/osd/windows/video.c:254: error: too few arguments to function 'winwindow_process_events'
src/osd/windows/video.c:255: error: too few arguments to function 'wininput_poll'
src/osd/windows/video.c: At top level:
src/osd/windows/video.c:266: error: redefinition of 'osd_update_hi'
src/osd/windows/video.c:224: error: previous definition of 'osd_update_hi' was here
mingw32-make: *** [obj/windows/mame/osd/windows/video.o] Error 1

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2008, 01:42:16 am »
You only need the hiscore diff for the version you are compiling. So, if you are trying to compile 124u2, you ONLY need hi_124u2. So, start with a clean source and patch

124u1
124u2
and then
hi_124u2

Should be good after that.

kingb33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2011, 09:26:14 pm
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2008, 02:36:25 am »
yes!!! that worked thank you so much!!!   

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
Hi I was wondering if its possible to make hi_124u3 myself? 124u3 is out and its got a fix for a controller problem I was having. Don't want to push anyone into making it so figured I'd ask if it is possible to make it ones self. Not much of a coder had some in college but it wasn't my major and I haven't coded in like 7 years.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »
hi_124u2 works perfectly for 124u3...that is why it says it works for 124u2 - CURRENT.

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »
oh sweet, thought it meant at the time the post was made that 124u2 was current and I saw the edit date was before the 124u3 was posted so I just thought you didn't have a chance to make the new one yet. Thanks for making this, my girlfriend especially likes keeping the high score for her pacman games.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2008, 02:46:28 pm »
The only time updates are made the hiscore diffs are when a change happens in the MAME source that requires modifications of the hiscore.diff files.  So whenever a new version of MAME comes out, just try to compile with the most recent hiscore.diff file.  If it works, then no wait is needed.  If you get a bunch of errors, then you'll need to wait for the new version.
Donkey Kong High Scores:

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:13 pm »
HI All,

when I compiled ver 0.123 with the hi score patch i cannot see the menu text on the emulator. This does not happen with a normal build of mame of the same version whn run in the same folder. So this illuminates font file corruption etc. Does anyone have an idea what caused it? i can only put it down to the hi score 0123 patch and this specific build..

I get that weirdness if I have another application running on my PC and I ALT-TAB from MAME to another app and then ALT-TAB back to MAME.  The font looks great when I first run MAME, but after swapping to another app & back, it's unreadable blocks like your screen grag.  (fortunately this will never happen after I finish setting up my machine & have it in the cab...)

So, maybe the way you're launching MAME or something is flipping to another program & back, corrupting the MAME menu font?

-Jason

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2008, 04:19:58 pm »
Do u have rename the 'vmame.exe' file that is created in the source folder to 'mame.exe' As i have removed the standard mame.exe file from my mame directory and replaced it with 'vmame' form my hi score complied 125 mame, and renamed it to 'mame' but now when i do this and load a rom from mala it gives me an error message,

Could not execute program 'mame.exe romname' Error code: 193

GAJoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2012, 03:35:51 pm
  • Bluster Blaster will DESTROY YOU!
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:42 am »
I kept getting the following error trying to compile the MAME .125 source with the hiscore diff using MAME Compiler 64:

src/osd/windows/video.c:245: error: redefinition of 'osd_update_hi'
Finished!
0 Hours 29 Minutes and 45 Seconds Elapsed.
mingw32-make: *** [obj/windows/mame/osd/windows/video.o] Error 1

I was coming here to ask for help, but figured it out myself.  The osd_update_hi function appears in the video.c file twice in a row.  I deleted one instance of it from the source and it compiled fine.  Not sure how that happened.  I downloaded a fresh version of the source and patched it just once, so I'm not sure how it doubled that section.  Anyway, I just thought I'd go ahead and share this in case anyone else is having the same problem.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:45:06 am by GAJoe »

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2008, 05:01:27 pm »
If you are positive you started with a totally clean source, then the only way this could have happened is if you accidentally applied 2 different version hiscore diffs by mistake. That would be the only way I could imagine that *could* happen...or your machine has gremlins ;-)