Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HotRod owners.... Customize!  (Read 2995 times)

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
HotRod owners.... Customize!
« on: March 27, 2002, 06:21:53 pm »
I put together a page detailing the addition of the Joystick Restrictors, a plateless OSCAR Model 1, and some additional pushbuttons to a HotRod SE that are wired to the HotRod encoder.

During this customization, I found an easy way to install and use the Joystick Restrictors without the mounting plate.  Check it out at www.oscarcontrols.com under the "Extras/Links" page.

Finally, for those waiting.... the new restrictors will be out very shortly.  The target date is April 8th, but they may be a little early... :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re: HotRod owners.... Customize!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 06:53:31 pm »
Very cool.  I'm glad to see that I can use the restrictor plates without the mounting plate.  I have 2 questions:

1. Are you going to consider making available the restrictor plates available in the same black color as you offer the mounting plate.  I think that it would match many people's cabinets better than stainless steel and I think that not everyone wants to have to paint and finish it themselves if they got the primed one.

2. Now, you are coming out with some other restritors right? Galaga 2 way? And Q Bert I think I read?  Are these restrictors going to use the same holes as the 4 way restrictor?  I hope so!  

Thanks for your great contributions, Oscar!

Jakobud

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 07:16:05 pm »
Hey Jakobud... thanks for the comments!  Here's some clarifications:

1.)  There is absolutely no reason that I can't offer the restrictors in the dimpled black finish.  My original thinking was to create a contrast between the black mounting plate and the restrictors, and the stainless finish does create a nice contrast.  I'll update the order form to include a black finish, and also to order the mounting plate as a "blank" such as I used on the HotRod.

2.) The 2 new restrictors are a diagonal style (Q*Bert, Congo Bongo) and a rotating 2-way (horizontal and vertical with the same set).  They will use the same mounting pattern as the 4-way's so prior customers can use the new restrictors, too.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 07:20:14 pm »
I put together a page detailing the addition of the Joystick Restrictors, a plateless OSCAR Model 1, and some additional pushbuttons to a HotRod SE that are wired to the HotRod encoder.

During this customization, I found an easy way to install and use the Joystick Restrictors without the mounting plate.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 07:31:53 pm »

Did you wire the tab and esc into their controller?

Yes.  The 6 unused inputs on the HotRod encoder are mapped to:  Esc, Enter, Tab, F1, F2, P(ause).  I wired the 2 new buttons to the corresponding input on the encoder and spliced into the existing ground wires.

bhille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2003, 11:39:40 pm
  • Be the ball...err...be the arcade machine...
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 05:38:37 am »
First, I want to say that the restrictors without the mounting plate kicks <insert cenored text here>!  The combines with the Oscar Pro is going to make an awesome control panel.

There just one thing I don't get.  If you are going to have Qbert style restrictors, wouldn't that actually hit the diagnols?  Can you MAME that you have to hit two keys to go one way?  Reason I ask is that I'm trying to figure out how to rotate my joystick (think MAME here ppl  ;)) to play games including "Sarge".  Would these restrictors work instead?

Thanks,

Brian

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 08:00:32 am »
You can set qbert to accept only the diagonals.

Here are the directions you will need to set:
Right = Down Right
Left  = Up Left
Up = Up Right
Down = Down Left

Here is how to set the directions:
Start Qbert in Mame.
Press TAB to get into the configuration menus.
Go down to Inputs (this game)
Press Enter
Go down to P1 Right
Press Enter
Quickly press and release the down arrow and then press and release the right arrow
To the right of P1 Right it should now say Down Right
Now do the other 3 directions.

If you make a mistake, you can reset an entry by hitting Enter and then ESC.  This will reset it to the default value.