Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!  (Read 335661 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »
I just hacked a new black madcatz pad, it was common ground but it was a PCB that didn't have a mapping on Slagcoin. Also it had a new trigger setup that required a bit more work than just a resistor to get working.

Yeah, I've seen those.  And those triggers are a pain...

I like the new Xbox 360 Microsoft wired / wireless.  Common ground, except that RT and LT have their own ground. 

Coley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2009, 07:30:07 pm
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:00 pm »
Hey HarumaN. you should have a PM  :applaud:

Stealth1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2009, 09:10:40 am
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2009, 05:02:30 am »
I just hacked a new black madcatz pad, it was common ground but it was a PCB that didn't have a mapping on Slagcoin. Also it had a new trigger setup that required a bit more work than just a resistor to get working.

Yeah, I've seen those.  And those triggers are a pain...

I also have one of these new madcatz pcbs, as shown here: http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4827/madcatz2008sp4.jpg

If either of you could please elaborate on exactly how to hack the triggers I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:59 am »
It's difficult on the new ones...  I usally can get one trigger to work using two 4.7Kohm resistors, but the other one won't work.  I'm still playing with that to find a better solution.

SG Jaycurl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2017, 01:19:43 pm
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2009, 03:44:36 pm »
I'm going to be starting my first custom stick shortly. I'm really waffling on whether to try a wireless or wired controller.

For those of you who've done both, is the wireless significantly more difficult? Or is it just maybe more time consuming?

I appreciate your opinions. And thanks to all of you who've posted tutorials, pics, etc. They've been immensely helpful.

Stealth1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
It's difficult on the new ones...  I usally can get one trigger to work using two 4.7Kohm resistors, but the other one won't work.  I'm still playing with that to find a better solution.

what if you leave the triggers in place? Or do they have to be removed?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2009, 07:17:10 am »

what if you leave the triggers in place? Or do they have to be removed?

You can leave the triggers in place.

If you want to hack the triggers...  I would still recommend the M$ wired pad over the gamestop pad.

Stealth1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:32 am »
Too late. This thread recommended the madcatz since it has common ground and large contacts, and I paid quite a premium for it too  :(

Its completely done except for the triggers. So if I leave them in place, and attach 2x4.7k resistors to the outer 2 contact points, it may work? Which one does that method not work on, the RT or LT?

SG Jaycurl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »
In the diagram for the Wired official 360 "late edition" pad(http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram1.jpg)...

1.) Do LC and RC stand for left and right click (of the analog sticks)?
2.) It looks like there are two common grounds on the front, and maybe four on the back(?). Do I need to run a ground wire from each of these, or are only certain of these commons used for certain buttons?

Thanks for your help.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:56 am »
Too late. This thread recommended the madcatz since it has common ground and large contacts, and I paid quite a premium for it too  :(

Its completely done except for the triggers. So if I leave them in place, and attach 2x4.7k resistors to the outer 2 contact points, it may work? Which one does that method not work on, the RT or LT?

Did you remove the triggers?  What have you done so far, and I can tell you how to proceed.

SG Jaycurl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »
In the diagram for the Wired official 360 "late edition" pad(http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram1.jpg)...

2.) It looks like there are two common grounds on the front, and maybe four on the back(?). Do I need to run a ground wire from each of these, or are only certain of these commons used for certain buttons?

Thanks for your help.
Am I asking questions that have been answered a thousand times elsewhere? I don't want to be that guy.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2009, 06:25:34 pm »

Thanks for your help.
Am I asking questions that have been answered a thousand times elsewhere? I don't want to be that guy.

Hey....  there are two common grounds.  One is a red circle, one is a pink circle.  There just happens to be multiple places you can pull the pink or red ground from.  you just need one of each.

Also, LC & RC are the clicks of the analog sticks, like you thought.

;D

SG Jaycurl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:27 pm »
You are a scholar and a gentleman. Many thanks!

doceb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2009, 01:41:01 pm
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2009, 01:02:07 am »

Did you remove the triggers?  What have you done so far, and I can tell you how to proceed.

I am in a similar boat.  I removed the trigger plastic housings, but not the electronic components.

Also, this will be my second 360 project.  The first one I did just last week, and I used the advice from this thread.  I'd like to do the triggers on this one, but if it's really more trouble than it's worth, then that's okay, too.

sju4sju

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2010, 12:22:57 pm
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »
I really need to find two pads with common ground, since the cables I'm using only allow for 14 signals + 1 ground (for piggybacking other pads)..
Searching the auction sites for those weird madcatz arcade gamesticks, as these have common ground, and look very easy to hack.

but ... if I get some official pads with multiple ground, can I link the grounds on a pad together, and solder my ground cable to that?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:51:09 pm by sju4sju »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:42 pm »
I really need to find two pads with common ground, since the cables I'm using only allow for 14 signals + 1 ground (for piggybacking other pads)..

But.. if I get pads with multiple ground, can I link the grounds on a pad together, and solder my ground cable to that?

Short answer... no.  your pad will no longer function correctly if you do that.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2009, 03:53:23 pm »
I may have found a way to hack the newer madcatz triggers, going to try it tonight, will post updates later...

doceb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2009, 04:43:07 pm »
I found this thread over at shoryuken dedicated to the new controllers:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=169203

It seems like you can get it working using two resistors and a transistor per trigger, though that may not be the simplest way.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2009, 11:42:18 am »

Just wanted to give another thumb up  :cheers: to the new madcatz.  Common ground and large contacts made it very easy, even for me that can't really solder.  Picked up 2 whites one at Gamestop. 

The major tip I learned here that help plenty was adding the solder to the contact and NOT the wire.  With the madcatz, I just use the iron to touch the solder until I get a big enough piece, then gently drop it on the contact, repeat for each.  After that was done, prep the wires by stripping the needed length.  Finally, use the iron to touch the solder on the contact, as soon as it melt, shove the wire in and repeat.  BTW, I skipped the trigger as these will be only use for fighting games.  I have wireless controller for other games.

If you are like me, definitely give the madcatz a go, as they are easy....

Thanks everyone...

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:58 am »
Forgot to mention another technique I use.  I sat the board on 2 2in masking tape, which held it nicely in place for a hands free operation.  I have shaky hands, so for any section that I felt I can't control my hands, I brace my hand on another roll of tape and that seems to work great. 

Hendew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2009, 08:51:57 pm
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2009, 01:23:09 am »
I have tried this and so far have wrecked two controllers, the first time one of the button contacts lifted up from the pcb. On the other controler same thing but on one of the tiny d pad contacts. When soldering it went well at first but then it seem like I was holding the solder forever waiting for it to melt I have a 20w/40w iron and I was using it on 20w I tried 40w after the pcb was ruined just to see and it still took a while to melt the solder and actually melted the pcb. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2009, 04:55:42 am »
should only hold it on the board for 2 seconds with a 15-watt

follow the trace out away from the damage and scrape it down to the copper and solder onto it or follow the trace to the next component or via and solder to it that way the controller is still usable if you lifted a pad or trace.

it also helps to put a dot of fresh solder onto the pcb first then tin the end of the wire with a tiny bit of solder and if you toach the two together for 2 seconds they will bond good.

if it takes 4 seconds or more to melt solder get a new solder iron there cheaper then the controllers you will go through trying with a bad one :cheers:

the official common ground 360 controllers use 10K 1/4 watt for the analog pots to bypass for a deadzone.

I never done a madcatz before so I dont know what they use for sure :dunno
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:02:42 am by northerngames »

Distractoboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2010, 12:29:38 pm
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »
Hey there,

Lots of great advice in this thread, really helpful. I've actually commissioned HarumaN to hack a wireless controller for me, and he's been incredibly patient and informative throughout. I would, however, like to mess around a bit myself and try building my second stick with a wired pad, as I've found a couple of USB passthroughs lying around that I can mount in a case for cable convenience.

From Slagcoin, for reference:
http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram3.jpg

I noticed that the official pads, as HarumaN mentioned, have two commons, one for the majority and another for the triggers, circled in red and pink respectively. I'm going to be picking up one of the Madcatz wired pads to get my feet wet, and just wanted to make sure that I'm understanding correctly.

I'm not worried about hacking the triggers, I just want to make a fight stick for a friend of mine.  The Madcatz pad has common ground as I understand it, so that means that I would only need one ground wire soldered to any one of the three red-circled soldering points on the pcb? I just wanted to make sure it wasn't broken up by "button groups". Also, the 5v point by the resistors is only related to setting up the triggers, correct?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:

doceb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2009, 09:39:03 pm »
That is correct.  The newer madkatz controllers have a single common ground.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
The 5V point is if you want a 5V source, like for an LED or something.

And...  I have figured the triggers out.  :)

It takes two 10Kohm resistors and a NPN transistor for each trigger, but it turns the newer triggers into a normal type switch that runs off the common ground. 

doceb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:39 am »

It takes two 10Kohm resistors and a NPN transistor for each trigger, but it turns the newer triggers into a normal type switch that runs off the common ground. 

Sounds like a similar setup to what they have over at shoryuken.  I can confirm that it works, as well.  I just got it all set up last night. :D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:03 am »

Sounds like a similar setup to what they have over at shoryuken.  I can confirm that it works, as well.  I just got it all set up last night. :D

Yeah, I got my info from over there as well.  A great solution, considering it is the only controller with a true common ground throughout.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26:42 pm »
What it looks like:

njchan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2017, 05:09:21 pm
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2009, 11:25:13 am »
this is a great thread - I just picked up SF4 for 360 and am supremely frustrated I can't do half the stuff I can with my SF2 cabinet.

my soldering skills are terrible to say the least, not to mention there aren't any gamestops in Canada.  I'm hoping to PM HarumaN to solder something up for me ... jsut worried about shipping to Canada. ;)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:54 am »
this is a great thread - I just picked up SF4 for 360 and am supremely frustrated I can't do half the stuff I can with my SF2 cabinet.

my soldering skills are terrible to say the least, not to mention there aren't any gamestops in Canada.  I'm hoping to PM HarumaN to solder something up for me ... jsut worried about shipping to Canada. ;)

hey, I ship to Canuckistan, just $5 extra dollars.   ;)  Send me a PM.

njchan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2017, 05:09:21 pm
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:51 am »
was about to order something until the wife pointed out the 3 wireless and 1 wired controller I have ... so I might give this a shot on my own - hahahahha ... will probably be ordering one in a couple of weeks! ;)

here's a stupid question though - what time of wire are you guys using?  any special type of solder?  lead-free?  does it even matter?

cappadonna

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2012, 01:33:00 pm
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2009, 03:11:48 pm »
Hey HarumaN,

Nice job on the wireless pcb's.  I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job here but I have some info that may help.  I have hacked maybe 8 360 wireless controllers and can definately tell you that you do not need the resistors for LT and RT. But like you said, it removes the pressure sensitivity.  It is either on or off, which is the way a fight stick should be.  They have a signal and ground just like all of the other buttons.  Also, the wireless connect switch can be soldered but it is a BEEYATCH.  I have used it on 2 of my fight sticks.  I have it connected to a 1/2" pushbutton, very descreet. You can see them here if you like   http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=90460.0  Thank you for your posts.  They really helped me alot :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2009, 11:45:00 am »
Yeah, I've actually stopped using the resistors on LT & RT.  I actually hack the sync button on most of the wireless hacks I do now, you just need a thinner wire, and a magnifying glass, lol.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37:57 pm »
Does anyone know how much current you can draw from a M$ 360 wireless pad? I'm trying to figure out how many LEDs I can run.

cappadonna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2009, 09:08:10 pm »
It's 3.3v.  You may need a step up if using many LED's.  However, I do think that you can get some 3mm's that only require 3v.  I know that they make surface mount LED's that use 3v.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2009, 09:33:49 am »
I know there is a 3.3v tap. I want to know how many 3.3v LEDs I can run in paralell without affecting the pad.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2009, 09:47:42 am »
No idea.   :D

cappadonna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2009, 10:56:12 am »
Sorry boot that Franco.  Here you go.  http://ledcalc.com/.  Should be what your looking for.  ;D

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2009, 11:44:46 am »
Thanks for the help, still not quite what I'm after though  ;D

That is a good site though, I also like http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

What I'm really after is the amount of power that is available from the 360 wireless pad.

For example, there is generally 500mA available from a USB port if there are no other loads on it. In that case I could connect 20 25mA 3.3v LEDs to it.

What I'm not sure of is what amperage is available from the 360 pad. Obviously I don't want to draw 100% of the power as the pad itself will need some to function.

I may drop Kaytrim a PM, I know he has connected a fair few LEDs to a 360 pad although I'm not sure if they were wired or wireless. I'll post anything I find out.

cappadonna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:22 pm »
Okay, try this.  Power up the pad, set a volt-ohm meter if you have one to uMv and probe the voltage point on the pad.  Be sure to move the common probe over to mV if required (meter specific). You should then be able to get a mA reading.  I'm getting ready to hack another wireless pad in a few minutes.  If I beat you to it I'll post what I find.