Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!  (Read 335626 times)

renbry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2011, 09:14:17 pm
Re: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:56 pm »
Hi again HarumaN,

sorry but this forum has some strange rules - i can't even reply to your PM let alone reply to the thread about your hacking services ! !
my email is renbry at hotmail dot com if you want to PM there.

Yes, i am looking to try and use the Guide button in the front of an arcade cabinet, whether i can mount the PCB board close enough to actually get the LED ring of light to have an effective brightness once the button it mounted in a 16mm MDF panel is another question i guess. It sounds like I could still use the guide button at least. Can the controller board be almost flush to the front panel or do the 360 joysticks have to stay attached as shown in your Mad Catz picture ? If I can mount it almost flush then I think i could still make use of the ring of light as shown in that link i posted...i think that would look cool  :)

Well after that question it's just whether you can source two wired controllers as part of the order process or do I need to post you two to be worked on ?

I'm not 100% up on electronics but i read a comment you posted about running an i-pac + 360 controller; do I really need to have a db-25 data switch or can it simply be wired off the microswitches to both i-pac and 360 PCB ? does that work electrically or will it short out or something ?

I could have kept this all in an email, sorry if it's off topic.

Matt.

kidotaku

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2011, 08:36:35 pm
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »
hey HarumaN been been reading your tuturials for a while great stuff, figured id drop some controllers on you for my next cabinet if your interested, i currently have 3 mad catz 360 controllers 2007 2010 and  i believe a 2009 ( black cant read the darn back, i just need 2 but not sure which is the new style or old, which ever is easier for you to do. if your interested send me a email  kidotaku2008@gmail.com i look forward to hearing from you :)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Hi again HarumaN,

sorry but this forum has some strange rules - i can't even reply to your PM let alone reply to the thread about your hacking services ! !

Yes, i am looking to try and use the Guide button in the front of an arcade cabinet, whether i can mount the PCB board close enough to actually get the LED ring of light to have an effective brightness once the button it mounted in a 16mm MDF panel is another question i guess. It sounds like I could still use the guide button at least. Can the controller board be almost flush to the front panel or do the 360 joysticks have to stay attached as shown in your Mad Catz picture ? If I can mount it almost flush then I think i could still make use of the ring of light as shown in that link i posted...i think that would look cool  :)

Well after that question it's just whether you can source two wired controllers as part of the order process or do I need to post you two to be worked on ?

I'm not 100% up on electronics but i read a comment you posted about running an i-pac + 360 controller; do I really need to have a db-25 data switch or can it simply be wired off the microswitches to both i-pac and 360 PCB ? does that work electrically or will it short out or something ?

Matt.

I could use the new MadCatz fightpads for you.  They have no analog sticks, so you could mount them almost flush to your panel.  As far as the i-pac thing, I have honestly never tried, so I'm not sure how it works.  Wiring both up together may cause problems.

However, 360 pads also work on the PC, so you could just connect the pads to the PC and use them for your controls.  People here have done that using USB KVM switches...

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
hey HarumaN been been reading your tuturials for a while great stuff, figured id drop some controllers on you for my next cabinet if your interested, i currently have 3 mad catz 360 controllers 2007 2010 and  i believe a 2009 ( black cant read the darn back, i just need 2 but not sure which is the new style or old, which ever is easier for you to do. if your interested send me a email  kidotaku2008@gmail.com i look forward to hearing from you :)

email sent

kidotaku

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:54 pm »
HarumaN thanks, i have 3 of the type you mentioned as well, the newer mad catz fighting pad, as well as 3 of the older. ill end up trying my hand at modding the older ones myself soon as i find more diagrams on the pcb and how to do the triggers, as for 2 of the other 3 pads ill send them your way this next weekend perferably you can email or pm me on aim about your price.

i also mention i have a datel fighting stick ( arcade pro) there usable via holding turbo to switch between xbox 360 and PS3, for another cabinet im going to make for a local game shop ill mod those and throw them in for there game turney's, was thinking i would do the same for mine but down wish to own a ps3 heh, i will post pictures of that when i begin work, ill have pictures soon of my custom cabinet, its a bit small but i live in a small apartment, look forward to it and your handywork with the pads

kidotaku

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »
Hi again HarumaN,

Matt.
the i-pac would conflick with the 360 pcb unless you piggy pack it somehow, i just insalled streetfihter pc version on the pc and the ipac will ONLy do one player with it, you would have to run a second usb controller to it to use the second palyer, wouldnt know how to splice in the pad but it would be better to just run 2 xbox pads then buy a ipac and another pad for that reason, as for the ipac it runs all the hyperspin and mame stuff no problem, but for the newer games i havent test out many but it seems they need 2 seperate controllers to be pluged in to recognize 2 player.

Tha_liks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2013, 05:41:37 pm
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »
 Hello HaRuMaN i tried to post on your Control Hack Service thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104114.0;prev_next=prev#new

but i can't seem to post on that thread, So ill try here, i'm requesting your services to wire me an Original Xbox controller for my new arcade,  can you please PM me with details as far as Address to mail you my controller and Your Paypal info to pay for the services

thank you in advance

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »
Hello HaRuMaN i tried to post on your Control Hack Service thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104114.0;prev_next=prev#new

but i can't seem to post on that thread, So ill try here, i'm requesting your services to wire me an Original Xbox controller for my new arcade,  can you please PM me with details as far as Address to mail you my controller and Your Paypal info to pay for the services

thank you in advance

PM sent

tastysoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2017, 02:06:58 pm
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:32 am »
edited
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:12:19 am by tastysoil »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:39 am »
Hi HaRuMan, please send me a email at: ---, i'd like to buy a hacked XBOX360 controller to hook up to my Egret II arcade cab, but this forum won't let me PM you for some reason.. I have some questions about it, but i'll save them to write you back with. Thanks!!

Email sent.  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:18:35 am by HaRuMaN »

LimaLive

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2011, 01:00:07 pm
« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »
Hi, i got a old wireless pcb here waiting until i got the tools for the job and i would like to know if i should take off the analogs?

I might ask for some help later, too ^^

neilybobz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2012, 07:46:03 pm
« Reply #371 on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:15 am »
Hi HarumaN,

I'm a newb here and can't seem to send you a PM.

I am interested in getting a hacked Xbox360 controller for my physically disabled son. If you would send me an email at:

ndaener at gmail dot com

to discuss details I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Neil
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:22:17 am by neilybobz »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:05 am »
Hi, i got a old wireless pcb here waiting until i got the tools for the job and i would like to know if i should take off the analogs?

I might ask for some help later, too ^^

No, I wouldn't take off the analogs...  you can snip off the plastic stems for more room if you like.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:46 am »
Hi HarumaN,

I'm a newb here and can't seem to send you a PM.

I am interested in getting a hacked Xbox360 controller for my physically disabled son. If you would send me an email at:

ndaener at gmail dot com

to discuss details I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Neil

Email sent

LimaLive

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2011, 01:00:07 pm
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2011, 05:42:06 pm »
Hi again, today i made two holes for the sync and home button on my custom case and got the cooper able to see :) So, i still couldn't buy the needed cable to do the work but i got solder, so thought about advancing work and tried to put some solder on the points. Conclusion: some places were really good but in the meanwhile, the tin just sticked to the flat iron tip... I was always doing mess and getting it out with my unsolder... :( Now i got iron point out and will only work with it when i get a good sharp one because it really pissed me off :@
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:52:43 am by LimaLive »

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
Has anyone tried the Deal Extreme model?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-wired-game-controller-for-xbox-360-red-240cm-cable-66729

The controllers they sell for the xBox1 are cheap and super easy to solder but have two grounds:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »
Hey, you linked to the 360 model...

I'm assuming your oval red solder points are the analog click buttons?

I know that the lack of a single common ground would kill this for some of my customers.

PCB quality is also a question.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »
Hey, you linked to the 360 model...

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I have hacked the xBox1 version (image) and am wondering if anyone has hacked the 360 version (link).

Since you can still walk into a GameStop and buy a 360 wired gamepad, it isn't as big of a deal.  Getting old xBox1 stuff is a pain.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #378 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »
I've been reading up and found a sort of consensus that the SF fight pads are one of the best wired controllers to hack due to the shoulders being actual buttons.

The price on the WWF (WWE) version just dropped to $19 new at gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-wwe-all-stars-brawl-pad/89175

I picked up two yesterday and have a couple more on hold.
Any of you smart folks have thoughts on these controllers?

EDIT: You can't order them online, you can search for availability at local gamestops and put a hold on the from the website.    You might be able to get Amazon to do a price match for folks who don't have a gamestop close.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:15:14 pm by sharpfork »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
That's all I hack for wired nowadays. 

Whatever I can get my hands on pricewise, the SF and WWE pads are identical internally.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »
Still having my issues with my SFII pads randomly freaking out upon exiting mame.  Going to plug in some MS pads to see if its an issue with maybe my pads shorting somewhere, or a software issue with my setup...

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:27 am »
The price on the WWF (WWE) version just dropped to $19 new at gamestop:
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-wwe-all-stars-brawl-pad/89175

EDIT: You can't order them online, you can search for availability at local gamestops and put a hold on the from the website.    You might be able to get Amazon to do a price match for folks who don't have a gamestop close.

Now $14.95. :D

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:33 pm »
Now $12.99.  I soldered one yesterday and it was pretty easy as far as padhacks go.  It was almost as easy as a DDR pad.

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:23:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:24 am »
Haruman I would like a quote for you but I cannot msg you directly. What do you recommend me to do?
Thanks!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:30 am »
Haruman I would like a quote for you but I cannot msg you directly. What do you recommend me to do?
Thanks!

Send me an email.  I sent you a PM with my address.  :cheers:

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2013, 07:33:15 am
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
hi everybody

i'm new to this forum and i have questions regarding soldering a wireless xbox 360 controller.
i have the following model:

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram5.jpg

i have tools, i can solder, cut, trim....but i'm terrible with electronic diagrams.

in the link i postet above is a diagram that shows signal and common points.
do i have to solder a wire to each and every "common" point?

if yes, i would have 5-7 common wires. can i just connect them all together to
one wire and go from that to the terminal strip? it would look like a tree.
or do i have to daisy chain all common points?

slagcoin shows also the two points LT and RT. But after reading through this Topic i'm not sure
that i can just solder them and use them as normal buttons without the 10k resistors.
is that right?

in the center of the controller is a 3.3v and "ground" point. these are only needed if i intend to
attach a external battery pack. is that right?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:57:15 am by Tsimi »

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:24 am »
No one? Is there nobody that can bump me to the right direction?

I wired yesterday a couple of wires (see picture).
All i need to know is what to do with the common wires?
And do i need to solder the ground point in the middle next to the 3.3V point.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/dsc0009thi.jpg/

Anyone? Please? HaRuMaN??

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:24:37 am by Tsimi »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:05 am »
You sure you have that model?

If so, I would ignore the commons on that controller.  Just solder two wires for each button and d-pad direction, it'll be easier.

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:01 am »
HaRuMaN! Finally, salvation is at hand. :notworthy:

yup, i'm pretty sure TP3 and L7 is written on it.
as you can see i put glue on it already.  :-\
i was thinking X, Y and B share a common ground, right? so if i daisy chain X, Y and B arcade buttons and connect then the common wire from the PCB
with the daisy chain wire from the arcade stick (X,Y,B) then it should work right?
so instead of [signal, ground] - [signal, ground] - [signal, ground] i can just use [signal, signal, signal, ground] is this theory wrong?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:09:38 am by Tsimi »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #389 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:19 am »
HaRuMaN! Finally, salvation is at hand. :notworthy:

yup, i'm pretty sure TP3 and L7 is written on it.
as you can see i put glue on it already.  :-\
i was thinking X, Y and B share a common ground, right? so if i daisy chain X, Y and B arcade buttons and connect then the common wire from the PCB
with the daisy chain wire from the arcade stick (X,Y,B) then it should work right? or i'm i completely off?
so instead of [signal, ground] - [signal, ground] - [signal, ground] i can just use [signal, signal, signal, ground] is this theory wrong?

No, that will work.  I just find that all the multiple grounds on that controller get confusing, but if you are careful and consistent, it will work.

You making a wireless stick?

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14:00 am »
well, i'm trying to.
everybody is buying custom pcb's these days like aki-shops one.
since i live in japan i could easy get one but where is the fun in that, right?
i had 2 spare wireless controller laying around and i used to do some soldering in the past so i had the tools
around, so i thought why not build one. i'll probably sacrifice one of my Dreamcast HKT-7300 stick to build this
or maybe just a shoe box.  ;D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:52 am »
i live in japan

Jealous...

....don't be. it's not that great here. but it sure has it's advantage if you are in to arcade stuff. sanwa, seimitsu, akihabarashop etc.....
all these stuff are easy to get but sometimes i'd love to be in the U.S. where you can just get simple stuff like a euro terminal strip or go to radio shack
and get transistors or 10k resistor. you can't imagine how difficult it is to get this stuff here. our home centers here have nothing.

well, thanks again for your help. really appreciated.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:28:28 am by Tsimi »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #393 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:40 am »
i live in japan

Jealous...

....don't be. it's not that great here. but it sure has it's advantage if you are in to arcade stuff. sanwa, seimitsu, akihabarashop etc.....
all these stuff are easy to get but sometimes i'd love to be in the U.S. where you can just get simple stuff like a euro terminal strip or go to radio shack
and get transistors or 10k resistor. you can't imagine how difficult it is to get this stuff here. our home centers here have nothing.

well, thanks again for your help. really appreciated.  :cheers:

No problem.

Lol.  I'll trade you terminal strips, transistors, and 10K resistors for some sanwa, seimitsu, and akihabara town stuff...   ;D

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
i'm not living in tokyo but we have something similar like akihabara here.
i might take you up on that.  ;D
my friend was here just two days ago and i told him if he gets back he should send me a box full of that stuff. i'm soooo looking forward to the terminal strips. i really miss them. (sounds kinda wierd)

one last thing before i forget it.
the LT and RT points showing on slagcoins diagram can't be hacked without the 10k resistor right?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #395 on: March 11, 2013, 10:38:22 am »
i'm not living in tokyo but we have something similar like akihabara here.
i might take you up on that.  ;D
my friend was here just two days ago and i told him if he gets back he should send me a box full of that stuff. i'm soooo looking forward to the terminal strips. i really miss them. (sounds kinda wierd)

one last thing before i forget it.
the LT and RT points showing on slagcoins diagram can't be hacked without the 10k resistor right?

No, they can, as long as you leave the triggers on, and in their normal neutral (unpulled) position.

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: March 12, 2013, 05:22:33 am »
that's great. i took away the trigger and the spring behind it but the arm and the rest is still in place.
but i think i will not need them for street fighter 4.
ありがとうございました。 (Thank you in japanese)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:33:02 am by Tsimi »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #397 on: March 12, 2013, 09:38:42 am »
that's great. i took away the trigger and the spring behind it but the arm and the rest is still in place.
but i think i will not need them for street fighter 4.
ありがとうございました。 (Thank you in japanese)

どういたしまして!

Tsimi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: March 12, 2013, 10:20:35 am »
どういたしまして!

:o now i'm surprised
how come you know japanese?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:07:32 am by Tsimi »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #399 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:42 am »
どういたしまして!

:o now i'm surprised
how come you now japanese?

Heh, I don't, not really, other than a few words and phrases.   :cheers: