Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!  (Read 335669 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Xbox 360 Controller Hack Tutorial -- Wireless Hack Now Available!!!
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »
Yes, I can do it with a play and charge kit, as pictured.  Also, I do not normally wire up the sync button (it's has a tiny button you can press on the PCB itself), but it could be done very easily.
Great! Also do you maybe have the dimensions of the hacked wireless pcb? I'm interested in buying two, but I need to know if they are going to fit in my arcade-stick-housing.

I can get the dimesions for you when I get home from work today.  I'll let you know!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2008, 12:46:58 pm »
Hey HarumaN, dunno if you know this already or not but the new version of the wireless 360 controller pcb guts now have common ground on everything but the LT & RT triggers  :cheers:
hopefully they will revise the wired controller to be the same  :applaud:

Yeah I had heard that...  :)  I haven't got any yet, but that makes my life easier... cuts points to solder almost by half!  :applaud:

clok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2008, 04:23:08 pm »
you pointed me to this from another thread. I'm wondering , since the 360 (wireless) controler works with the PC too, is there a way to wire the tumbstick to a larger flightstick? Like this one?http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/st90.htm I would like to make a wireless mame panel (much like the white one in this thread) but in top right corner put a flight stick. SO the joystick would just be the stick and the brains would be the Wireless Xbox thumbstick, any chance that could be done?
Hope i was clear (probebly not).

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2008, 04:48:33 pm »
you pointed me to this from another thread. I'm wondering , since the 360 (wireless) controler works with the PC too, is there a way to wire the tumbstick to a larger flightstick? Like this one?http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/st90.htm I would like to make a wireless mame panel (much like the white one in this thread) but in top right corner put a flight stick. SO the joystick would just be the stick and the brains would be the Wireless Xbox thumbstick, any chance that could be done?
Hope i was clear (probebly not).

Your question is clear...

Short answer...  no.  Can't be done.  I wish it could...

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2009, 07:34:21 am
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2008, 04:24:21 am »
This looks like a crackin' idea! I especially like the idea of arcade controls compatible with a PC and my Xbox 360. Has anyone considered replicating the thumbsticks using something along the lines of Happ's analogue arcade joystick, or maybe even digitising the thumbsticks? Would be handy for some console emulation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:28:35 am by Nivek TT »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2008, 07:18:36 am »
At best, the thumb stick may be able to be digitized. 

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:43 am »
It seems like the thumbsticks operate using potentiomtres but not sure what resistance. The Happ joysticks operate using two 5kOhm potentiometres. If the Xbox 360 gamepad just happened to be the same (rather hopeful!) then connections could probably be swapped like for like, if not then I reckon the potentiometres of the Happ joystick could be changed.

Haruman, have you checked whether some (cheaper) 3rd party controllers are easier to have apart and modify? Such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-SE-Advanced-Controller-Black/dp/B000CNZLYA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219754502&sr=8-11

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:41 am »
The chances that the pots are the same is remote, unfortunately...   :D  I'm sure if someone really wanted to, they could try to replace the pots on the Happ stick with pots that match the pots on the 360 controller.

The Neo-SE controller, while cheaper, is as difficult to hack as the official, because it does not have common grounds.

The MadCatz (gamestop) controller is both cheaper, and easier since it does have a common ground.

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:51 am »
Cheers, bidding on a second hand Madcatz controller now!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:11:59 am by Nivek TT »

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2008, 03:20:53 pm »
Are the triggers hackable on the 3rd party controllers like the Madcatz?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2008, 03:24:32 pm »

They are on the Neo-SE, not sure about the Madcatz as I haven't actually done one yet.  I would assume yes, normally all you have to do is connect the center pin of the pot to ground (*don't try this unless you know what you're doing, I'm not responsible if you fry your controller / xbox 360 / tv / house / yourself / your cat / your neighbor's cat / etc.)

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2008, 12:26:18 am »
Silly question.

Same steps for rigging up the Guide button? I ask because I need to put the guide button on the joystick I'm building, and need to figure a way to either extend the connection from the actual button to the PCB...and can it wire to just a happ button? or do I need to keep the green/silver button for it?

I haven't taken one apart yet, but Im just wondering if thats doable.

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2008, 07:31:08 am »
Silly question.

Same steps for rigging up the Guide button? I ask because I need to put the guide button on the joystick I'm building, and need to figure a way to either extend the connection from the actual button to the PCB...and can it wire to just a happ button? or do I need to keep the green/silver button for it?

I haven't taken one apart yet, but Im just wondering if thats doable.

Yeah, the guide button is just a regular button.

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2008, 01:51:19 am »
I went into gamestop today and picked up a cheapo gamestop brand 360 wired controller in hopes of an easier soldering time...less hassle. And I was happy. I cracked the little sucker open, and almost all the contact points are just there out in the open. No dremel work needed.

I'll post a diagram once I get everything laid out and whatnot. Should be in the next day or so. No work monday so this is what Im gonna be workin on. w00t.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:13 am »
I went into gamestop today and picked up a cheapo gamestop brand 360 wired controller in hopes of an easier soldering time...less hassle. And I was happy. I cracked the little sucker open, and almost all the contact points are just there out in the open. No dremel work needed.
I'll post a diagram once I get everything laid out and whatnot. Should be in the next day or so. No work monday so this is what Im gonna be workin on. w00t.

That's the Madcatz pad.  It has a common ground.  ;)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2008, 04:08:04 pm »

I can now verify that these are hackable.

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2008, 06:17:48 pm »
Hey HarumaN, dunno if you know this already or not but the new version of the wireless 360 controller pcb guts now have common ground on everything but the LT & RT triggers  :cheers:

Yeah I had heard that...  :)  I haven't got any yet, but that makes my life easier... cuts points to solder almost by half!  :applaud:

Has anyone verified if this is true?  Or know how to identify the common ground wireless controller in store?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2008, 07:22:41 am »
Has anyone verified if this is true?  Or know how to identify the common ground wireless controller in store?

I have not seen this yet.  I would love to find a wireless controller with a common ground.  That would make things so much simpler. 

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2008, 09:24:01 am »
Managed to destroy an official wired pad thanks to the tiny directional pad solder points. I then picked up a Joytech SE NEO and it was a pleasure to work with. Nice large exposed contacts (no rubbing away rubbery stuff) and a common ground for all face buttons (triggers and bumpers seem to be unique grounds). Its also much cheaper than an official pad, I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone thinking about hacking a gamepad. Only issue is the joysticks don't seem to come off easily.

Pretty much all wired up now and tested I just need to do the bumpers and digitise the triggers. Think I'm gonna look for a kid's school lunchbox and reinforce the lid with some plywood as a means of mounting the controls and housing the insides. Might even get a Power Rangers themed arcade controller then  ;D

Edit: My mistake, its a completely common ground. The wire running to the bumper buttons from the main board use black for the live wire and red for ground  ::)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:11:30 pm by Nivek TT »

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2008, 04:55:45 pm »
I present my new toy! I've gone for a antique pine and denim look, something I've not seen done before for anything video game.

Sorry about the camera phone quality...

Its backed and fronted by clear persplex which isn't really visible in the pics. The denim lies between the perspex and the wood. The joystick drives the dpad, the black buttons drive start, back and guide, the red buttons drive A, B, X, Y, LB and RB. The right two of the eight red buttons are not connected. I had intended to digitise the triggers but this proved awkward. If I ever find I need the triggers I'll give it another effort.

The denim was harvested from a Tesco economy pair of jeans (3 quid!). It now feels like I'm hammering away on the arse of someone with a 40" waist when I'm playing  :-D

Plays like an absolute dream. The arcade games such as Street Fighter II, Streets of Rage, BC: Rearmed play so much better with an arcade stick!

Thanks to HarumaN for his guide!  ;D

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »
this is definately going to be an odd question I think, but I was wondering if anyone, HarumaN :D , might have any idea on if its possible to just move the whole analog "pod" to the face somehow since I think they are just soldered on, maybe by just running wire extending each spot?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:51:48 am by joebells »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:26 am »
this is definitely going to be an odd question I think, but I was wondering if anyone, HarumaN :D , might have any idea on if its possible to just move the whole analog "pod" to the face somehow since I think they are just soldered on, maybe by just running wire extending each spot?

Technically, I would say that it is possible.  Assuming you can successfully desolder the pot unit, you could extend them out with wires.  Then you would have to figure out how to mount them to your control panel.  They are mounted to the pcb only by soldered pins.

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:38 am »
thx for the reply, hmm I guess I'd lose the analog triggers even if I got that part to work since they don't make analog arcade buttons I guess. Maybe I'll just not do it since I'd want this to be able to play 360 with it also.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2008, 09:56:49 am »
thx for the reply, hmm I guess I'd lose the analog triggers even if I got that part to work since they don't make analog arcade buttons I guess. Maybe I'll just not do it since I'd want this to be able to play 360 with it also.

You can hack the analog triggers, they just become digital in the process (100% on or 100% off, no in-between).  My suggestion to you would be to buy a cheap ($25 new) Madcatz wired pad and hack that if you really want arcade controls, and keep your other pads for the Xbox games that require analog controls.

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2008, 10:20:58 am »
thx for the fast reply, it would be fun to try, hmm I'm going to have to definitely think about it. Maybe even somehow mount the triggers into the cp or something(can't imagine being able to make that comfortable though)

I'm surprised that an arcade game hasn't ever come out that had analog buttons, or maybe there has been but mame doesn't emulate any of them so no one has come up with any for cp's

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2008, 03:33:05 pm »

only way I know how to look is open the battery compartment top and right under the battery pack compartment bottom where you can see the bare pcb look for J7 right under the serial# sticker toward the middle right side.

if it is there it is a common ground if it is not there then it is the older non common version.

in a retial box I have no clue how to tell.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:30:18 pm by northerngames »

Nivek TT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2008, 04:22:23 am »
this is definately going to be an odd question I think, but I was wondering if anyone, HarumaN :D , might have any idea on if its possible to just move the whole analog "pod" to the face somehow since I think they are just soldered on, maybe by just running wire extending each spot?

I considered it but don't think its practically possible. You'd most likely want to put a larger joystick on the mounting and the increased torque would rip it away first playing session.

I had considered re-wiring an arcade analogue joystick (discussed earlier) but don't think a flat arcade control panel would be any good for games which are analogue-essential such as racers / fps.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2008, 10:53:08 pm »
Last week I bought two Microsoft wired pads.  I've just disassembled them and run the dremel brush over the contact points, and done a test with a multimeter.

According to the multimeter, on the two pads I have, all digital inputs I am using have a common ground.  So the D-Pad, start button, 4 face buttons and 2 digital shoulder buttons are all on common ground.

I'm not sure how to report the model number of the pads.  There's two defining numbers:

On the pad itself, above the serial: X811616-006

On the box it came in: 0607 Part No. X11-22141-03

I'll be soldering them up tomorrow night, and then testing mid week (I don't own a 360, so I need to go to a friend's place to do the testing).  Whether successful or not, I'll post back with the results.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2008, 08:58:00 am »
You are correct.  Of the Microsoft official pads, wired and wireless, the early controllers did not have a common ground.  The later versions of both do have a common ground. 

I don't know, though, if you can tell from the packaging whether its an early or late version, though.

bee411

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 06:03:58 pm
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2008, 04:45:57 pm »
I would love to get two wired xbox 360 controllers hacked. I've already ruined three trying to do it myself. I guess soldering is just not my thing. HarumaN, are you still available to do some modding?

I'd like  A,B,X,Y,Start,Back,Guide,LR,RB,LT,RT, D-Pad(Left,Down,Up,Right) hacked. I already have my 2-player box built and the arcade controls installed...just need to hook'em up to the PCB's.

Is pricing still $80 per controller? I'd prefer to pay using PayPal.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:48:16 pm by bee411 »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2008, 05:09:38 pm »
You've got a PM! :)

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2008, 02:16:47 pm »
If you are doing a wired pad, I would highly recommend the madcatz pad over the official pad.  Its a breeze to solder together, Ive done 3 successfully so far and I started with zero soldering experience.

The common ground wireless pad would make me anxious to give it a try on my next stick though.  If anyone figures out how to differentiate the common ground ones in the store, that would be great info.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2008, 02:38:10 pm »
The common ground wireless pad would make me anxious to give it a try on my next stick though.  If anyone figures out how to differentiate the common ground ones in the store, that would be great info.

Seconded... :)

GyuriCuc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2008, 04:05:24 pm
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »
I have two Neo-se wired pads I would like to mod them. But both have the same problem: when I plug them in only the 1 and the 4 led blinks and then nothing happens. I opened one of the pads, but I can't find the reason. Any of you have any idea what could be the problem, and how to repair it?

jedirobb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2011, 12:53:47 pm
  • DEVASTATION
    • http://www.devastationevent.com
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:07 pm »
Completely random post about this year's DEVASTATION... since some of you are in Arizona (ahem).

$2,000.00 guaranteed pots... all the more reaon to grab your modded sticks and come and play  ;D

DEVASTATION 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
June 19th-21st
http://www.devastationevent.com
DEVASTATION 2011 | October 7th-9th
devastationevent.com

sju4sju

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2010, 12:22:57 pm
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »
I hope it's ok to post this here..  :)
Did anyone figure out how to identify the madcatz pads with common ground from the ones without?
Did the first batch come in black? Or only the newest? I'd be buying from ebay, so hoping to identify it from the colour of the pad :P

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2009, 01:26:49 pm »
All the MadCatz pads have the common ground.  It's the Microsoft ones that are different based on new / old.

sju4sju

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2010, 12:22:57 pm
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
Hey haruman! Quick answer, thanks, but:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram4.jpg
 :)

Whoa!  I stand corrected.  I had not seen that one before.  Hmm.  I usually just wander down to my local Gamestop and buy one new, and they've always been the common ground version.

MrMojoZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2009, 11:34:56 pm
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2009, 01:46:03 pm »
I just hacked a new black madcatz pad, it was common ground but it was a PCB that didn't have a mapping on Slagcoin. Also it had a new trigger setup that required a bit more work than just a resistor to get working.