Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: best way to remove sideart  (Read 2282 times)

Keith O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2006, 04:55:42 pm
  • Get off me cheese!
best way to remove sideart
« on: April 07, 2003, 09:50:20 pm »
I believe this has been answered here before but my search is coming up empty. I'm trying to remove the sideart from a machine, rebuild the sides of the cab with new wood and then paint/reapply the old sideart. My question is what's the best way to remove the sideart without damaging it?

I've heard once of someone using a hair-dryer to make the adhesive less tacky but has anyone here been successful at this?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re:best way to remove sideart
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 07:05:15 am »
It really all depends on what it was originally made out of, and how well it was stuck to the cab. Some sideart I have been able to peel off. While other sideart resists all efforts to remove it.

What game is it? If repro art is available, then it may be easier just to get that. And also, do the sides of the cabinet really need rebuilding? Can't they just be repaired?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:33:32 am »
I don't see how you can remove it as a whole 1 piece sideart. You're bound to tear it somewhere along the way. Most of the time the sideart I have dealt with comes off in sheets varying from 1" x 1" to 6" x 6".

Coming Soon

filenabber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2004, 11:11:48 pm
  • I brake 4 dots and ghosts
    • The Broken Joystick
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 03:10:26 am »
I read once about a guy removing the entire sideart from a gauntlet Dark Legends by using a wooden dowel. he carefully got it started at the top then used the dowel and rolled it off. He said it didn't stretch or tear.

brian