Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Power Tool Price Watch Thread  (Read 172643 times)

NiteWalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
The Power Tool Price Watch Thread
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:14:38 am »
It's about time this forum has something for the woodworkers to get good deals on tools. I've been getting most of my tools from amazon for a little over a year now and I honestly can say I've saved more than $1000 all together.

Here's the scoop with amazon: their pricing on their products (only those that are listed as "ships from and sold by amazon.com") is completely automated. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it's automatic. Sometimes (quite often actually), prices drop considerably and become excellent bargains. These are the ones I jump on.

So once you set up your amazon account, there's a simple way to keep tabs on prices. Any items you want, may want, or even remotely think about getting, add them to your cart. When you click on your cart at the top you will see in yellow boxes with red writing any price increases/decreases. If you're patient, there are some super deals to be had. If you decide you only want one thing out of your cart, you don't have to delete everything else in the cart. Just click on the "save for later" button and it will be in your "inactive" cart. These don't contribute to your subtotal of the items in your active cart, but they are still shown when prices change. I have about 140 items in my inactive cart... I check the prices at least once a day, sometimes more if the prices are fluctuating a bit.

Now, say you buy something at a good deal. Go back and put that same item BACK in your cart (active or inactive, it doesn't matter). Why? Because if amazon drops the price on any item you bought in the past 30 days you can call or email them and get a refund of the difference. I just did that to get $10 back on the Freud SD508 dado set. I paid $129 (an excellent price based on what it normally sells for-$199.99), a few days later the price dropped to $119 so I called amazon and got the $10 credited back to me. They have no problem doing this.

One of the main reasons I shop at amazon is the free shipping and no tax. That alone saves a lot of money. Add on the deals and sometimes promo codes and you're often paying pennies on the dollar.

So here's my first contribution to the thread; I think you guys will like this one.
A router is the most versatile tool in the shop, right? Well how about a 3 base router kit for $49.99 shipped to your door? Earlier this morning it was only $39.99 shipped so I grabbed one at that price. Mind you this isn't a top quality router by any means, but I look at it this way. 4 Years ago I bought a $60 ryobi router and it lasted me 3 years before seizing up on me. I got my money's worth out of it. No hard feelings when it died. For the $40 I paid for the GMC (or the $50 others may), it can last 2 months and I'll see it as money well spent. At $40 it's almost disposable. I'd probably say it's around black and decker/ryobi/skil quality but way above that of harbor freight.

My hopes for this thread are for the woodworkers/cabinet builders to take advantage of deals they may find on amazon and post em here.

Hope this helps the aspiring builders out there! :cheers: :cheers:

EDIT:
Back up to $82.86. Keep watchin for that price to drop...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 09:06:15 am by NiteWalker »

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

jmricker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2009, 10:34:13 pm
Re: The Amazon.com Price Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:11 am »
... Because if amazon drops the price on any item you bought in the past 30 days you can call or email them and get a refund of the difference. I just did that to get $10 back on the Freud SD508 dado set. I paid $129 (an excellent price based on what it normally sells for-$199.99), a few days later the price dropped to $119 so I called amazon and got the $10 credited back to me.

This part can be automated. The website http://www.priceprotectr.com/ will alert you if amazon.com drops the price on something you've bought as well as other websites that have the same policy.

Joel

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:18:14 pm »
Yeah I use that one. There's quite a bunch of these out there. The only thing they don't catch is when amazon or anywhere else has the "add to cart to see price". That price is protected. I like that one because it's not limited to amazon.com.

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2010, 10:46:24 am
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:56:16 pm »
Excellent idea!

My first contribution:

Black and Decker MS1000 Cyclone 1.4 Amp Orbital 4-in-1 Multi Sander

Current price: $19.99   (Normally ~$55)

Technical Details
  • 4-in-1 multi-sander with saddle grip, dust collection system, and translucent hard body canister
  • Interchangeable bases--random orbit sander, detail sander, finish sander, flush sander; 1.4 amp
  • Durable plastic shell
  • Includes 18 assorted accessories

Not a top-of-the-line sander by any means, but a nice, cheap, versatile piece.  Reviews aren't too bad, either.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:34:56 pm »

I have the version of that sander from a couple of years ago.  It's very light duty as sanders go.  A good deal for $20, definitely not something you'd want as your primary power sander.  The best use I have found for it so far is sanding between  coats of paint, it does a good job of that.  The random orbit function is weak as it barely wobbles at all and it collects exactly zero dust.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:33:28 am »
Here's another one for those who want a router table but don't want to take the time to build one. Normally this router table sells for about $169. Right now you can get it for $127.99 shipped to your door. Make sure you enter the code 20OFFPTA (read as "twenty off") during checkout to get the extra 20% off. It's a fairly decent router table for the price; much better than the open based models by skil, ryobi, etc, as it allows for good dust collection. It also won't take up much space.

Bosch RA1171 Router Table-$127.99 Shipped

For me, it's almost an impulse purchase and I'd grab it if I had the spare $$$. Even if you have a full sized floor model router table, this is good for quick jobs or if you have your main table set up for a precise cut and you don't want to muck with the settings but have another router table operation you need to attend to. I'll likely have this in the future if it goes down again. At $127.99 shipped, it's a very good deal.

EDIT:
Here's a detailed review of the RA1171. This particular website is trusted by many. Ignore most of amazon's reviewers. This review was done by a real woodworker.

EDIT:
Deal is over.  :cry:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 05:46:57 am by NiteWalker »

Arcades R Fun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2015, 12:33:13 pm
  • ArcadesRFun.com, No More Quarters!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:53:47 am »
We bought the very same BOSCH router table over a year ago and we love it! We use it exclusively to cut all out T-Molding slots on our panels and it works great!

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 12:38:58 pm »
Here's another one for those who want a router table but don't want to take the time to build one. Normally this router table sells for about $169. Right now you can get it for $127.99 shipped to your door. Make sure you enter the code 20OFFPTA (read as "twenty off") during checkout to get the extra 20% off. It's a fairly decent router table for the price; much better than the open based models by skil, ryobi, etc, as it allows for good dust collection. It also won't take up much space.

Bosch RA1171 Router Table-$127.99 Shipped

For me, it's almost an impulse purchase and I'd grab it if I had the spare $$$. Even if you have a full sized floor model router table, this is good for quick jobs or if you have your main table set up for a precise cut and you don't want to muck with the settings but have another router table operation you need to attend to. I'll likely have this in the future if it goes down again. At $127.99 shipped, it's a very good deal.

EDIT:
Here's a detailed review of the RA1171. This particular website is trusted by many. Ignore most of amazon's reviewers. This review was done by a real woodworker.

Shows $160 now

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 12:53:38 pm »
Make sure you enter the code 20OFFPTA (read as "twenty off") during checkout to get the extra 20% off.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 11:19:42 pm »
The $160 is the base price before the discount.

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:23:52 am »
does anyone know what the dimensions of this table is...?

thanks...!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:27:51 am »
I'll check around a bit. I was actually thinkin about buildin one myself...
It's a very nice design for a small router table.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 12:50:04 pm »
OK, here's the dimensions from Bosch's website:

The table dimensions:
Height   14-1/2″
Depth   15 7/8″
Width   25 1/2″

The fence dimensions:
Height  4-7/8"
Width  25-1/8"

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 08:57:47 pm »
I'm sure glad you guys tipped me in to the woodnet forums a while back.  Now I get to see how I paid $100 too much for this at the woodworking show in November.  That is an awesome deal if that's what your looking for:

Porter Cable Router and Dovetail Jig:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2906070&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:02:32 pm by Nannuu »
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 09:32:01 pm »
That is indeed an excellent deal on that kit. That's probably the best entry level dovetail jig on the market and consistently wins awards. The router I'm not crazy about; it's a really good router, I just favor the bosch or dewalt kits. But at that price it's almost getting it for free.

Yeah, woodnet is awesome.  :cheers:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 11:51:49 am »

I need a real drill.  Cordless, corded, don't really care... just need a REAL drill.  I'm working on extending my shed today andthis low level 6v cordless drill is useless.

Suggestions?  Thanks!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 01:21:39 pm »
Here's an excellent corded drill. I have this one and it has drilled hundreds of holes with no issues at all. It's the cheaper alternative.

Here's one of the best cordless drills available. When I decide I need a cordless drill this is the one I'll be grabbing.

Or, if money's not an issue, you can get this one. 18 volt power at 14.4 volt size. This is a very nice drill but out of my price range.

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »
Here's another pretty good corded drill.

Its a little heavier-duty than the one NiteWalker posted, but right now, its actually about $10 cheaper.  It'll take a larger shank, too.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 01:49:45 pm »
That's a nice drill.  ;)
And yep, cheaper too. A bit more heavier but also a lot more powerful. That one will probably handle anything you throw at it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 02:56:15 pm »

Its a little heavier-duty than the one NiteWalker posted, but right now, its actually about $10 cheaper.  It'll take a larger shank, too.

Many, many thanks.  I ended up taking a trip to the hardware store for nails after the second screw with my drill wouldn't even go in halfway.  Just asking too much from an old 6v cordless.  I just purchsed the one linked by Rusty.  $56.99 shipped, what a deal.   ;D

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Many, many thanks.  I ended up taking a trip to the hardware store for nails after the second screw with my drill wouldn't even go in halfway.  Just asking too much from an old 6v cordless.  I just purchsed the one linked by Rusty.  $56.99 shipped, what a deal.   ;D

Glad I could help.  :cheers:  If I wasn't saving up for a new table saw, I'd probably buy one of these drills, too!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:09 pm »
What table saw you lookin to buy?

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 12:01:51 am »
Most likely, I'll end up gettng a JET, probably something in the 70830x series.  At the local Jet/Powermatic/SawStop dealer, I can get me 708304k (cast iron wings and XACTA fence) for $750 or a 708307k (steel wings / XACTA fence) for $650 out-the-door.

But that's a lot to spend on a tool, so I'm trying to justify the cost-to-use ratio still!  :dunno

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:05:13 am by Rusty »

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 05:17:15 am »
True, at that price you're looking at an entry level cabinet saw.
Here's the table saw I have. I didn't get it from amazon though. I got it from lowe's because I had a 10% off coupon. Lowe's also had a $50 gift card mail in rebate. On top of that it has a $50 mail in rebate from delta. My total out of pocket cost was $486. I can't see the jet being much better. In fact, outside of the table board I would favor the delta because of the included mobile base. It's been serving me excellently. Once tuned and aligned it'll give you years of service. The fence that I chose (the Delta T2) locks parallel to the blade every time and is very heavy duty. It's not as heavy as a Biesemeyer, but I can't see it failing during even heavy use.

Here's my photobucket album with all the assembly and set up pics. It really is a great saw. Unless it has a biesemeyer fence system, paying $900+ for a contractor table saw is a waste of money IMHO. There are way better options available at that price range.

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 11:50:45 am »
Here's a decent Hitachi 18v cordless drill for $70.

Not bad for somebody looking to get an inexpensive cordless drill.  Comes with 1/2" keyless chuck, 2 batteries, and a small bit set.

I like Hitachi for repetitive work because of the rubberized grip.  Its very comfortable.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 12:44:44 pm »
You Save:     $185.57 (73%)

:dizzy:

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 12:47:30 pm »
That's why I love amazon.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
It's not Amazon but...
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 01:34:19 pm »
It's not Amazon, but I got a flyer from Woodcraft which shows all Whiteside router bits at 20% off this month. Haven't compared their prices to routerbits.com so I'm not sure if that's a deal or not...

BTW, for those looking for tablesaws, the Ridgid saws at Home Depot have been getting very good reviews recently. Both the TS3650 contractor's saw and the TS2400 bench-top saws have been rated tops in their class by a number of different magazines.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:56 pm »
Thanks scott. I was actually torn between the ridgid TS3650 and the delta I bought. I ended up siding with the delta (36-980) because of the better fence, solid cast iron wings, 4" dust port. The delta seemed like a better saw to me. I love it. But the ridgid is an excellent saw as well. I would've been just as happy if I chose it.

For router bits I go to Holbren. Excellent customer service, fast shipping and the best prices on the net. Free shipping btw. Brian (the owner) is a member over on woodnet so he's always looking out for fellow woodnetters. woodnet10 gets you 10% off as well, but be a good sport and join up at woodnet so no eyebrows are raised.

I get all my bits from holbren now. I used to get them from routerbits.com too, as they had the lowest prices on the net. I think even with woodcraft's discount the prices are still higher than those of holbren.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 03:00:04 pm »

The DeWalt DW235 is a nice drill, but keep in mind that it spins at 850 rpm max. That's about 1/3rd the speed of a normal drill; most cordless drills will go to around 2000rpm and corded drills to around 2500rpm. Granted, 850rpm is perfect for the large-diameter bits the drill was designed for. But painfully slow for "normal" sized holes.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 03:05:51 pm »

Eh, I'm usually not in a hurry.  I'm just usually happy by that point that I'm not injured or haven't wasted all of my material.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 08:59:21 am »
The drill arrived yesterday.  Holy SNOT that thing is for real.  Makes my 6v drill look like a marshmallow peep.  FAST shipping, too, even with the free shipping.  I certainly didn't see any problems with the spin speed.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 10:13:06 pm »
Hey guys, another great deal here, but this time not from amazon. In any posts asking advice regarding router bits I always recommend Holbren as my main source for whiteside router bits. They offer a 10% discount to woodnet members (code is woodnet10; be a good sport and go to Woodnet and register. You might learn something), shipping is always free, and Brian (the owner) is a very nice person to deal with and handles any customer issues personally. So here's the deal; there was a question earlier regarding a good starter router bit set. Normally I'd say avoid the sets. They often only include a few useful bits and a bunch you may or may not ever use. I'd normally say just get a good 5-8 piece set of bits (by "set" in this example I mean hand picking a few router bits based on your needs and purchase them) and fill out your collection on an as needed per task basis.

Well today isn't normal I guess...
Peep this: (click on pic for link)

Included Bits:
1/2" Mortising
3/8" Dovetail
1/2" Dovetail
3/8" Roundnose
1/2" Round Nose
1/4" Panel Pilot
1/4" Straight
3/8" Straight
1/2" Straight
3/4" Straight
1/8" Round Over
3/16" Round Over
1/4" Round Over
3/8" Round Over
1/4" Cove
3/8" Cove
1-3/16" 45 Degree Chamfer
3/8" Trimming
1/2" Flush Trim
1/4" Slot Cutter
1/2" Rabbeting
1/2" Combination Bevel
5/32" Roman Ogee
1/2" V-Groove

Not a bad set as it includes a LOT of useful bits. They come in a nice wooden storage box as you can see. These are of a decent quality (on par or better than most taiwan made router bits) and at $34.95 they're a good deal.

BUT....

They're not $34.95. Add them to your cart and the ring up as $20. That's right. 24 decent quality bits for $20 shipped to your door. That's $.83 per router bit. I ordered a set in 1/2" shank size. I intend to order another set in 1/4" shank size for my Bosch Colt Palm Router. At that price they're almost disposable...

Brian politely asks that the woodnet code is not applied to this purchase as he is just pricing these to move and any more of a discount would be costing him (more) money. $20 shipped sounds good to me. A great starter set at a killer price.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:12:03 pm by NiteWalker »

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 11:05:24 pm »
Wow!  That's about as good a deal as you're ever gonna find on router bits!  :applaud:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 09:07:24 am »

Seeing as I intend to pick up a router in the coming weeks, I just ordered a 1/2" set.  Thanks!

lordtodd75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 01:42:37 am
  • I especially hate punks!
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 04:14:56 pm »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that is a good deal, thanks nitewalker. I just ordered a set for myself and I called a couple of friends to let them know. So when are they going to sticky this.

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 01:23:26 pm »
Rack up another sale. I've been looking for a beginers set...found cheap sets but they kill you on shipping. Thanks Nite Walker!

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 11:24:29 pm »
Damn dudes - just when I thought I was nearing the end of this spending spree I've been on, now you're makin' me want to go off in a whole new direction!  At least with tools, I can justify to the wife that they could be used for something other than playing video games.   :)

I've really enjoyed the few woodworking projects I've done so far and I want to get into it more.  The right tools will definitely help.  Router and jigsaw are on the top of my list.

Great thread - thanks!

Chris

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 12:56:08 am »
aw...

i went to order that router table today and the coupon is expired...-=(

oh well...

i did order a set of those bits last night though...-=)

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 06:18:05 am »
i went to order that router table today and the coupon is expired...-=(

There's a way around that that I should've mentioned when I first started the thread. Here's what you do: If you see something you know you want and that you'll be getting in the next 30 days, just go ahead and buy the item anyway. Now here's the trick; when you're checking out, select "pay by check or money order" as the payment method and finalize the order. You'll get a confirmation saying that amazon is waiting for you to mail the check or money order in and gives you the address to send it to. The order is good for 30 days then it vanishes. All you have to do is when you have the money go to "my account" and "view recent orders" and you'll be able to select your particular order and change the payment method to "pay by credit card". The price will be that of when you originally ordered your item(s).

So basically it's a way of locking in the price for 30 days. Very useful and I've used it more than once. If the price of your items drop then just cancel the order and make a new one. Never pay full retail price for tools again. :cheers: