Main > Woodworking

The Power Tool Price Watch Thread

(1/106) > >>

NiteWalker:
It's about time this forum has something for the woodworkers to get good deals on tools. I've been getting most of my tools from amazon for a little over a year now and I honestly can say I've saved more than $1000 all together.

Here's the scoop with amazon: their pricing on their products (only those that are listed as "ships from and sold by amazon.com") is completely automated. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it's automatic. Sometimes (quite often actually), prices drop considerably and become excellent bargains. These are the ones I jump on.

So once you set up your amazon account, there's a simple way to keep tabs on prices. Any items you want, may want, or even remotely think about getting, add them to your cart. When you click on your cart at the top you will see in yellow boxes with red writing any price increases/decreases. If you're patient, there are some super deals to be had. If you decide you only want one thing out of your cart, you don't have to delete everything else in the cart. Just click on the "save for later" button and it will be in your "inactive" cart. These don't contribute to your subtotal of the items in your active cart, but they are still shown when prices change. I have about 140 items in my inactive cart... I check the prices at least once a day, sometimes more if the prices are fluctuating a bit.

Now, say you buy something at a good deal. Go back and put that same item BACK in your cart (active or inactive, it doesn't matter). Why? Because if amazon drops the price on any item you bought in the past 30 days you can call or email them and get a refund of the difference. I just did that to get $10 back on the Freud SD508 dado set. I paid $129 (an excellent price based on what it normally sells for-$199.99), a few days later the price dropped to $119 so I called amazon and got the $10 credited back to me. They have no problem doing this.

One of the main reasons I shop at amazon is the free shipping and no tax. That alone saves a lot of money. Add on the deals and sometimes promo codes and you're often paying pennies on the dollar.

So here's my first contribution to the thread; I think you guys will like this one.
A router is the most versatile tool in the shop, right? Well how about a 3 base router kit for $49.99 shipped to your door? Earlier this morning it was only $39.99 shipped so I grabbed one at that price. Mind you this isn't a top quality router by any means, but I look at it this way. 4 Years ago I bought a $60 ryobi router and it lasted me 3 years before seizing up on me. I got my money's worth out of it. No hard feelings when it died. For the $40 I paid for the GMC (or the $50 others may), it can last 2 months and I'll see it as money well spent. At $40 it's almost disposable. I'd probably say it's around black and decker/ryobi/skil quality but way above that of harbor freight.

My hopes for this thread are for the woodworkers/cabinet builders to take advantage of deals they may find on amazon and post em here.

Hope this helps the aspiring builders out there! :cheers: :cheers:

EDIT:
Back up to $82.86. Keep watchin for that price to drop...

jmricker:

--- Quote from: NiteWalker on February 28, 2007, 12:14:38 am ---... Because if amazon drops the price on any item you bought in the past 30 days you can call or email them and get a refund of the difference. I just did that to get $10 back on the Freud SD508 dado set. I paid $129 (an excellent price based on what it normally sells for-$199.99), a few days later the price dropped to $119 so I called amazon and got the $10 credited back to me.

--- End quote ---

This part can be automated. The website http://www.priceprotectr.com/ will alert you if amazon.com drops the price on something you've bought as well as other websites that have the same policy.

Joel

NiteWalker:
Yeah I use that one. There's quite a bunch of these out there. The only thing they don't catch is when amazon or anywhere else has the "add to cart to see price". That price is protected. I like that one because it's not limited to amazon.com.

Rusty:
Excellent idea!

My first contribution:

Black and Decker MS1000 Cyclone 1.4 Amp Orbital 4-in-1 Multi Sander

Current price: $19.99   (Normally ~$55)

Technical Details

* 4-in-1 multi-sander with saddle grip, dust collection system, and translucent hard body canister
* Interchangeable bases--random orbit sander, detail sander, finish sander, flush sander; 1.4 amp
* Durable plastic shell
* Includes 18 assorted accessories

Not a top-of-the-line sander by any means, but a nice, cheap, versatile piece.  Reviews aren't too bad, either.

ChadTower:

I have the version of that sander from a couple of years ago.  It's very light duty as sanders go.  A good deal for $20, definitely not something you'd want as your primary power sander.  The best use I have found for it so far is sanding between  coats of paint, it does a good job of that.  The random orbit function is weak as it barely wobbles at all and it collects exactly zero dust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version