Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede ! FINISHED !!!!  (Read 64639 times)

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
Re: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede !
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2007, 06:38:03 pm »
Cool. You know that is bad to be able to play the game. Now you wont have time to fix the  machine anymore :)

Amazing how those rollers wear out.

BTW Why is this in Arcade Miscellaneous? I thought it would be in the Project Announcements. I wanted to check the thread and couldn't find it back anymore  :o
This signature is intentionally left blank

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2007, 06:59:42 pm »
Uhmmm.....well it's a really old thread, from before I actually got the cab. It wasn't a project still then :P

What you say is only partly true. I can't let that little monitor stand around like this, or it will end up smashing on the floor :) But it did cross my mind that I should fix the coindoor first, before getting it playable.

The thing is, I'm getting some people over for X-mas and I want both my Galaxian and Centipede to be playable :)

Playing Centipede with a trackball feels GREAT !!! This was what totally turned me down on the Atari 2600 version, the louze (progressive !) joystick control.....I do think I had better scores then though, at least the games lasted a lot longer :D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:06 pm »
CPO is in !

First sight is it's looking great.....but it's dark now here so I can't check with natural light. ......

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2007, 11:41:22 am »
OK, I got my camera back (well, long story, it's actually a brand new one, same model....
So it was time to test it when I got home and what better way to do it than taking some shots of the CPO.

I ordered this from Mamemarquees.com. I chose for them mainly because I have the Irish built Centipede which has the lighter (brighter ?) blue. All other Centipede CPO repro's I've seen are the dark American style.
So thank you Scott for being able to get the right color !!

Talking about color, let's show the pics:

(All pics at once here and you can download the FULL size pictures if you want here: http://gallery.mac.com/andre.huijts#100081)

First look: Nice deep blue, good colors, great detail. Looks great !

OK, let's compare a bit with the original CPO:

and another:

That blue is spot on !! The structure of the new repro is somewhat finer, but the total effect is not hurt by that. Feels really nice.

Very, very nice ! The green and yellow are a very nice match too !!!  :applaud: :applaud:
Remember that the original is 27 years old so it has suffered a bit from hands, light etc. I think those colors are a perfect match !!

So it is 100% perferct ? Regretfully, not 100%...:

There's some color differences in the "rainbow part". However, that's not too noticable. The part that is white on the original and striped on the repro....I think that my original has faded there. There are some of those stripes visible on the other side with the same graphics (in mirror, not on the pic). But that's all not too important. The most noticible is the color differences with the slashed stripes on the right. That's a rather noticable difference...and also the spacing between the lines is different and that's strange, as everything else seems perfect sized.

Same color is also used in the middle part of the CPO:

And now for an interesting one:

Look at the line around the red area.....blue on the repro, pink on the original. This may be one of those US/Irish color differences. You see this on the Marquee as well. The US has dark blue (purple ?) parts f.i. where the Atari logo is, on my marquee it's pink there. Not a real problem, I actualy think the blue looks better :D

Now I guess Scott printed this from the files from that other company that stopped the repro production (I acually don't remember the name !). So I guess these things are in that file.

Overall, the CPO looks fine, and I'll use it on my cab, no-one else will notice this  (it's nothing like the Galaxian misprint I had before (for the record, that one was NOT from mamemarquees.com !!!))

Maybe Scott can touch up the file for any next customers, but then again, I guess he'll sell the American/dark blue version a lot more. Anyway Scott, if you read this, I can send you the scrap pieces I still have if you'd like so you can compare.

I'm really pleased with the overall quality and colors of the CPO. I was a bit afraid about the blue color, but it's top-notch !

The only thing that worries me is that I will have to make the holes myself. Especialy the trackball hole maybe tricky. The Galaxian CPO I got from ThisOldGame.com had the holes right in there....but I guess it's a lot more work if you don't run a series of CPO's for a certain game.

Anyone has any tips on safely making the holes ?

[Edit] It suddenly dawned upon me that I could cut out the trackball hole after the CPO is installed on the CP.....duh. However, this won't be true for the start buttons, as the holes in the metal were made bigger because of the funky fruit-machine buttons that some dork fitted on there.... but that won't be too much  of a problem.

AND I should be ashamed of myself that I did not first look for this: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Applying_CPOs
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:07:10 pm by Level42 »

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2007, 10:46:10 pm »
 :cheers: very nice...

can not wait to see it on the panel  :applaud:

;)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2007, 11:30:47 am »
:cheers: very nice...

can not wait to see it on the panel  :applaud:

;)
Me too :)

I started sanding the CP, not as easy as it seemed !!! There were remainders of the glue on it that didn't help......I tried using the heat-gun and scraping it off......then sand again....this is going to take some time.

I think there was someone who actualy burnt off the CPO with some liquid ? I wonder if that got rid of all the goo....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:47:41 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:21 pm »
This took a whole lot of sanding.....and I'm not nearly finished..... ::)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2007, 03:39:14 pm »
Replaced the LED's in the vulcano/cone buttons today. Both LED's were not very bright (anymore ?) and one was even weaker than the other (one als had a white color (not the light, but the LED itself) as you can see on the pics....

The old situation..

Other side...

Your last hour has come LED !!! CAREFULLY twisting and turning and pulling until it breaks loose....

This is the result......mmmmm maybe turned a bit too much, but this way the leads didn't break off right under the LED housing.... :D

Pre-tin the leads of the new LED and the metal strips on the switch...

Put the LED in, AND put the lens in !!! This way you can position the LED so that the switch can still be operated....

Solder the RIGHT lead first so the LED is fixed. Then REMOVE the lens and solder the left lead because else you might melt the lens leg !

Clip of the extra length on the LED legs.

The result:

And a little video. That sound you hear is my lens trying to focus in the dark.....nothing else :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPihMHw826g[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:01:18 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2007, 06:35:37 pm »
Just testing something...sorry....

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:43:35 pm by Level42 »

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:28 am »
WOW...they are shining bright now....congratulations :)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2007, 06:34:44 am »
Thanks Luigi, and thank _you_ for providing those excellent switches and cones  :cheers: :cheers:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2007, 06:10:38 pm »
I've already got a really nice poster for my SW cockpit, but I'd SURE like to have this next to my Centipede !!!!!!!!

Did I mention this sold for 350 bucks on e-bay ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:06:17 pm by Level42 »

shilmover

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2007, 05:00:14 am »
$350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2007, 07:14:53 am »
Yep and the same seller sold a really rare Major Havoc poster (only 7 made) for  $800 :)

Read all about it here:
http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=605264&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

BTW, I just decided to give up on that  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: GO7.
I just don't have the patience and time for it anymore. Bit of waste of getting the cap-kit and flyback.....but  so be it. If I'm in a good mood I MAY spare it to have a look at it later, but now I want this cab to WORK.

So I'm again looking for a nice used 51cm TV with SCART...... :)

Next weekend will be getting the CP ready, installing the TV and have a working game !
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:59:57 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2007, 05:38:51 pm »
Wire brush in drill works well to get rid of that glue residue....

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2007, 04:46:13 am »
Mmmmm.....the wire brush worked really well but........

I went to my optician yesterday for my regular eye/lens check. I wear soft (monthly) contact lenses. So when he was checking my eyes, he asked if had travelled by train a lot lately.....
I almost never travel by public transport (company car eh) so I said no and asked why he asked me. He told me there were metal particles in my lenses !!!!!!  :o :o :o

I am always very careful with working, power tools, safety etc. but I didn't think the wire brush was much of a risk for the eyes.....so another lesson learned: WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES WHEN DOING THIS KIND OF WORK. I felt SO stupid ! Luckely my contacts saved me this time......................

About the cab: Picked up a used Daewoo 51 cm TV two days ago. I made pictures but my card got screwed up in some weird way, so not pictures  :banghead:
Anyway, I mounted the CRT in the G07 frame, a perfect fit. The CRT is (as expected) a little darker than the G07. But there's no screen burn, and the picture was very nice when I tried it with a DVD player.
The PCB was a little larger than the G07's but I could fix it in a good way.

The TV survived the conversion. So I got a SCART cable, cut of one connector and soldered all the connections, colors, ground. The sync, +5V and +12V I soldered temporarily to the PCB (will move them to the connectors a bit later).
So, expecting to finaly be able to play the game in full-size, I turned everything on and.......one black screen. I could see a little bit reddish raster, but nothing else.....!?!?!

So I took my test monitor (14" Philips CM8524, I incidently picked up another for €10,- that night as well, will be an excellent monitor for my Pleiads cocktail :) and almost as cheap as a cap-kit :) ) and hooked it up: Perfect Picture !!!!

So I double checked the +12V and +5V lines: OK. The picture was perfect on the Philips so colors, sync and ground are correct as well. I tried selecting sources on the TV (which should NOT be neccesary)....didn't help....

Then I got my DVD player again (which puts out it's signal in RGB) and it works great on the Daewoo !!!
This is VERY VERY VERY weird !!!

The only thing different I can still think of are the RGB levels. These are at about 4V from the PCB and SCART expects 1V. That didn't matter much for the TV I used in my Galaxian, or the Philips test monitor, but maybe the Daewoo has some "overload protection" ?

So I will add some resistors today and report back......please let it work  :-\ :-\

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2007, 05:42:11 am »
Just found the TV schematics. Turns out the Daewoo is a Hitachi CP375........and it's built in France :D
Anyway, the RGB inputs are protected with Zener diodes, UZ-5.1BM. AFAIK a zener clamps a (input) voltage to a certain level......I don't remember seeing Zener diodes on the RGB input side of the SCART on the Philips. So this could be the problem.....

shilmover

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2007, 02:19:27 pm »
Mmmmm.....the wire brush worked really well but........

I went to my optician yesterday for my regular eye/lens check. I wear soft (monthly) contact lenses. So when he was checking my eyes, he asked if had travelled by train a lot lately.....
I almost never travel by public transport (company car eh) so I said no and asked why he asked me. He told me there were metal particles in my lenses !!!!!!  :o :o :o

I am always very careful with working, power tools, safety etc. but I didn't think the wire brush was much of a risk for the eyes.....so another lesson learned: WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES WHEN DOING THIS KIND OF WORK. I felt SO stupid ! Luckely my contacts saved me this time......................

Yeah!  I used a wire brush with my Dremel and felt something hit my cheek.  thought nothing of it until a couple of hours later, my wife asked me what was sticking out of my face!!  It was a 1/2" (just over a 1 cm) piece of wire from the brush!   :o
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:26:06 pm by shilmover »
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2007, 09:52:06 am »
Wow, glad that thing didn't end up in your eye !

Back to the Daewoo. This is one big annoying mystery !!!

I've tried the resistors, 75 Ohms in serie with the RGB lines. Still black screen.

So, I figures, let me try that Daewoo on the Galaxian cab: PEFFECT PICTURE !!!!!  :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I'm going nuts. I can't explain this. Unless the Centipede has very much higher output levels on the video....

So.......gonna try the Philips that I installed in my Galaxian on my Centipede now. If it works, that means it will be swapping time !

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2007, 10:26:49 am »
Ok, Philips works GREAT on Centipede........

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Not going to loose any more time: Centipede is getting the Philips, Galaxian the Daewoo.....everyone happy :D

This means swapping the frames but that's less time than more puzzling.....

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:32:03 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2007, 02:37:24 pm »
Of course.....the swapping was not straightforward.....

I first removed both CRT's and PCB's from their frames. Moved the CRT and PCB of the Daewoo to the Galaxian frame....tried fixing the CRT.......no go. The CRT (or rather a metal band around it) makes that the hole is too small for the CRT to fit.........so got out the saw and enlarged the hole. Took me two tries to get a perfect fit.

The PCB fitted easily. This time I used PCB feet to mount the PCB since it's much smaller than that of the Philips. I think the Daewoo is more modern than the Philips....

So next up was the Philips to be mounted in the G07 frame. The CRT was an easy enough fit. But that PCB is HUGE compared to the G07 ! And of course the frame is mounted on it's side in the cab, and it's slanted......I measured.....that won't fit if I mount it on the original spot for the PCB  :angry: :

OK, so if I move the PCB to the side that will be on the lower part of the cab....maybe that'll work....:

Yes, that'll be OK, only have to remove some exces plastic from the original TV underside....:

There was one wire too short for mounting the PCB this way. It's the wire to the degaussing coil....well I'll extend that later...
I want some results ! :D:

O yes, what a lovely sight ! V I C T O R Y ! ! !   :laugh: :laugh: :applaud: :applaud:

Well, of course I was allowed one whole game and then........:

Still gotta fix up the SCART cable etc. in a neat way....but at least it WORKS :) :) :)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:45:49 pm by Level42 »

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:42:00 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Re: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede ! SHE WORKS !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2007, 03:05:39 pm »
Love the kitchen arcade.  (is it in the kitchen or is that a bar area?)
Good idea switching the two monitors...you'd likely still be trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

How do you plan on making the player start button holes smaller again to fit the atari cone buttons?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede ! SHE WORKS !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2007, 03:55:37 pm »
It is the kitchen......serving as my workplace since I got the Galaxian :) I don't have a good workplace yet....no garage, no basement....My wife loves it.............(not :))

Yeah, you gotta be practical in such situations.....although it still annoys me.....

O well....problem solved :)

About the holes: I actually can mount the buttons in these holes. Would have to center them properly. They do hold there. I'm just not sure what will happen if I will mount the CPO and make a hole with the proper size. I fear that after some time, the CPO might tear because of it... I can't weld so putting some new metal in is probably not the thing for me. I'm thinking of some kind of epoxy stuff to fill the holes, and then be able to sand the panel etc.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede ! SHE WORKS !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2007, 12:51:57 pm »
Sure. Getting near restoring my Centipede, and a full working one pops up here in The Netherlands:

http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/automaten-overige/129616155-atari-centipede-arcade-kast.html

:-\

naaaaaahhhh, at least I'll have the satisfaction of restoring it myself :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:59:10 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2007, 04:17:30 pm »
In the mean time.....

Doesn't look like it, but I've also been working hard on the CP. All paint and rust has been removed. Now still need to sand it and paint it.......
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:20:52 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2007, 04:33:04 pm »
Some video may give a better impression than the pics....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfezwBHn7U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aoaatzdXk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:44:43 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Progress is slow.....X-mas holiday was over last thursday....

About the Daewoo TV: Don't ask me why or how, after the first time I connected it to the Galaxian (and it worked at that moment) it went back to the same behaviour as when it was connected to the Centipede: steady black screen !

I downloaded the Service Manual and found this:

Sooooooo, since I'm puttin in 5 Volts on Pin 16 on the SCART, I bet the switching input selects OSD mode (>4V). This explains the all black screen, it was in OSD mode, but there was no OSD data to be displayed produced by the TV........
So, I need to put in something between 0.9 and 3 Volt !!! This was no problem with the older Philips, but it is on this one. And I have to admit that those values are the correct one's according to the SCART definition, so it's my own fault :D

Anyway, I soldered a 150 Ohms resistor in series with the +5V to lower it a bit, and it did the trick :D
Glad that I got that working !

However, there seem to be some sync problems with the Galaxian. I never noticed this when the Philips was in the Galaxian....there's a bit of jumping of lines on the right side....
Now, I would try to adjust some settings, but this Daewoo needs a special Service Remote to get into the set-up screens :( !  Sigh......OK, SCART is great but it's not without problems to get a perfect picture (I'm a perfectionist on this...) Saw a Service Remote for $7,95 somewhere so I guess I'll order it...

Went to Suzo last friday to get some parts. The main thing (black T-molding) they didn't have on stock. This comes from Suzo UK. They sell it only a couple of times per year here.....

The good news about Suzo is that I can buy anything from the Happ catalog now as well. And of course there's some overhead for transport, but they have 2-weekly regular shipments, so f.i. for getting a monitor this is a great option. Price should be about the same in Euro's as it's listed in Dollars (but that's without VAT :(

Anyway, did get some of those less glamorous parts, but still important:

The Terry clips were rusted away....amazing how some parts never change :D

Some things do change however....(I didn't trust the contacts of the TL holders much, might have been rusted as well...)
Original:

New:

And the total, ready for another 30 years :D:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:46:57 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Finally opened the little coin door on the bottom of my cab. It's strange, other Irish cab's I've seen don't seem to have this ...

Anyway the lock was a little harder than usual to force mainly because of it's position I guess.
That big white scratch is entirely my stupidness, but it's going to have to be repainted anyway. The door is _really_ thick.

As I expected (I could hear it working when creditting the game) the coincounter is mounted here. This is all a bit strange, normaly it would be at the big coindoor. In this case, it's a great thing, because there is no coincounter "holder" on my "new" coindoor....and it is welded on the old one....

Here you can see where the coins are received. Not a metal or plastic box but a bag ! :D

Inside of the "old" door. Nothing really special. I mounted the Guilder coin selector, because these were removed before. On the lower right you can see the empty holder for the counter. This is missing on the "new" door....

The doors compared...with flash:

and without (shows the dents a lot better):

I still got the sticker sheet that came with the manual. Should I put the one with the Atari logo on or not  ? (Hides some of the scratches....)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Man....gotta clean up this wiring mess :D (Works, but can't leave it like that of course....)

Painting. It's a slow process. This is the CP after it's second layer of primer.

Do I need to sand it now ? It feels very smooth. Or can I start the first layer of black ?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
Well....I finaly took the plunge....I finished the CP with 3 layers of black, and I still wasn't happy with the look of it, but as long as it protects the metal it's fine.

This CPO application was a lot harder than that of the Galaxian. Not only does this one cover the entire CP (with lots of corners), also the CPO doesn't have pre-made holes for the controls.

I was wondering if I should cut the holes first or the other way around. The first option I quickly forgot about, thinking it would be impossible to do 100% right.

But the other way around isn't much easier. I punched holes at the spot where the cross-hairs for the controls were, for reference. And then I just went ahead. At one point, the panel slipped out of my hand, and it kinda wrinkled the CPO to the right of the trackball spot....I'll have to live with that.

I also discovered that there are some small bubbles here and there.....even though I was so careful about that.

All in all, is sure beats how it looked before the renovation...

I decided to get the new V2.0 ICE trackball and pushbutton from GGG because I don't like the look of the orange (when not lit) trackball mostly. The new polished look of the ICE-ball is just what triggered me to decide for it.

whammoed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:42:00 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Re: I don't believe it, another classic added => Centipede ! SHE WORKS !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:14 am »
Looking good.

I still find the fire button placement on Centipedes odd.  Looks like it should go in the center of the "starburst" graphic, not above it...I guess it was placed higher for ergonomics maybe?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:07 am »
Yes. It's weird how I never noticed that myself until I read someone mention that. I'm _very_ sure that the button was originally meant to be in the starburst.

Actually, when playing, I find that I would have liked the trackball to be at the same height as the button. There's too little room below the trackball for my big hands to rest ....

Maybe test-reports then indicated this as well, but I guess there wasn't much room to move the trackball up....

About the CPO: It's a shame that just that one color (of the big starburst in the center) is so light. It really "hides" that startbust from sight.

I've just mailed the rest pieces of my original CPO to Mamemarquees, so I hope the design will be corrected....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:26:53 am by Level42 »

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2008, 02:31:19 pm »
Level42 why is it that you keep getting all these sweet projects?
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
I honestly don't know Sithmaster. Could it be I'm lucky in arcade games because I'm unlucky in love and money ;)  :laugh2: :laugh2:

Could also be because I'm 1 of the.....5 or 6 active collectors here ?

I just don't know........maybe it's the Force :D

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »

I think it's because the guy who works the hardest finds the most games.  That's all there is to it.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2008, 02:54:39 pm »
Haha, thanks Chad, that's a very nice compliment. Actually I don't work that hard on them. Projects take lots of time because, well I do have a regular 5 day a week job wit lots of travelling, family life, my marching band (hah ! http://web.mac.com/andre.huijts/Muziekvereniging_Harmonie_Slikkerveer/Drumband.html, see if you can spot me :D)) and going out and have fun with friends :D
I did quit being the treasurer of that marching band by the way, and it feels I have LOADS of free time now :D

Anyway, I work on them whenever I feel like. There's no rush. These things are 25 years or older so restoring them in a hurry doesn't make sense to me, and it stays a lot of fun this way. I'm trying to compromise as little as possible and that also takes time. I do learn about the process however. F.i. I've been spray painting the CP now, but I still have to do the other metal parts (marquee brackets, lower coin door and main coin door mounting ring). Would have been a lot more clever to do every step with all those parts at once.....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:59:48 pm by Level42 »

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2008, 03:20:43 pm »

I think it's because the guy who works the hardest finds the most games.  That's all there is to it.

For some reason i dont think im going to find a centipede or a sw vector anywhere near me. 

Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2008, 03:22:22 pm »
For some reason i dont think im going to find a centipede or a sw vector anywhere near me. 

Don't you live in New Jersey?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »
Well, a Centipede shouldn't be that hard to find. The SW would be a bit harder.

I was just amazingly lucky to find those cabs here on our version of Craig's list.

The SW was a truly amazing story.

I had been reading about the SW game and since I'm very interested in the vector games I just did a text search on SW, thinking to only find the usual 2600 carts etc. To my surprise, I noticed that there was a SW cockpit for sale. The thing was that it was listed in the pinball section and there was NO picture. I think adding a picture is about the smartest thing to do when you want to try to sell something on these boards, so it wasn't very clever of the seller to not do it.

I mailed the guy and then heard nothing for weeks. The advert was old and got deleted and I feared I was too late. Then all of a sudden I got a reply.....it took several months and some mails to finally actually buy the machine.

Finding that one was like winning the lottery to me. :D

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »

Don't you live in New Jersey?

...Yes.