Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hello, First let me introduce myself and a few questions.  (Read 17581 times)

hevnsnt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2018, 10:26:57 am
  • Someone set us up the bomb!
    • I-hacked.com Taking Advantage of technology
Re:Hello, First let me introduce myself and a few questions.
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2003, 11:12:56 pm »
hehe no.. My lame nick name comes from a super long time ago.. Back when I was 14.  I will not go into the specifics, but I can guarentee that it is nothing what you think.. I have always wanted to change it because it is such a super lame story, but it is nice because it is always available on every website I have ever been to..  So that makes it stick. :D

SONIC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2006, 02:53:02 am
  • Insanely Great
    • Sonic-Media
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2003, 12:43:40 pm »
Lemme express what I think about all this!
It's your cab, do with it what you want :) I see no reason to flame anyone for doing what they feel is right, even not with a classic cab!!! Must admt though, that if you loved DigDug, you might want to keep the sidearts (like so many before me said), but you can easily make a custom CP and Marquee that fits into the DigDug style.

There might be allot of people here who are against modding a classic cab, but honestly, if you didn't take it to yer home and gave it a caring hand, it might would rot somewhere and be thrown out.

I too got a bit pressure when I mentioned that I would love to make my custom sidearts for my KI2 cab, but I think it was a good smack in the face for me to see that it would be even nicer if I kept the original sideart, and only change the marquee and the cp... that also helped me find a name for it (everything still under developement), but I guess I'll call it M.A.M.E.-Instinct :) Still need to do some arts for it and such, but in buttomline, if I choose only to make a custom cp and marquee that fits the Killer Instinct style it will 1) look very cool and 2) be easy to switch back to the original. I even still have the original game in it, and will never pull it out of there :)

But nuff said! No flaming from here :)

hevnsnt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2003, 01:02:49 pm »
yeah thats cool.. Side art will stay in tact :)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2003, 10:09:16 am »
I'm upset with it because it totally goes against the whole mame idea, to preserve these games.  If you do something like this I think mame should not run on it, conflicting ideas.  You want to preserve the game or not?  Choose one and go with it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 10:09:50 am by SirPoonga »

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2003, 02:43:44 pm »
Sounds like you got yourself a winner...by the sounds of all the arcade preservationists...you could pawn that bad boy off for a pretty penny to one of them.  To each their-own...I've got a beat-up zephyr (a classic in it's own right) that no one is screaming at me to restore...don't think a single person would mind me taking a sledge hammer to it...but that's just me (I'm not a preservationist...I'm a recyclist).  

My $.02 on the whole preservation theory (that's all it really is..a theory)...you have your true preservationist and your wanna-be's.  I mean honestly folks...you can't intelligently use the words "preserve" , "restore" and "mame" in the same sentence...If I told someone sincere to the art of preservation and restoration of classic automobiles.. that I found a classic, restored it to original factory condition, but replaced the motor with one of those fancy electric ones...I'd get laughed at...see my point.  I know there will be those that say this is completely wrong, but where do you draw the line and who's coming up with these unwritten laws of cabinet restoration.  Either restore or mame as Sirpoonga said...as far as I'm concerned, there is no happy medium...only an invisible line that you will always cross and there will always be someone that said you went to far...

One more thing...I've said it before:  preservationists are like a certain "door-knocking" religion group that tries to push their views onto you whether you want to hear it or not.  You can't please everyone, just yourself!  If you like the side art keep it....if you don't, either sell/trade the cab to someone who does, or I have some spare paint if you need it.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2003, 09:56:52 pm »
Either restore or mame as Sirpoonga said...
I hate being misquoted or misunderstood.  I said restore it if the cabinet is in decent condition.  mame it if it is a complete failure.  This dig dug was in VERY good condition.  It's hard to find a cabinet like that.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2003, 03:17:02 am »
One more thing...I've said it before:  preservationists are like a certain "door-knocking" religion group that tries to push their views onto you whether you want to hear it or not.  You can't please everyone, just yourself!  

Well, who else should teach ethics to people that have none?  ;) Of course, depending on cultural level this doesn't help either.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2003, 07:20:40 am »
Now I'm being misunderstood...let me reclarify my point.  I don't care if that dig-dug is in mint condtion...if you don't have a fancy for classics...it's your damn cabinet and no one in this world should tell you what to do with it...if it was mine and someone said what I was doing was wrong...I'd have a few suggestions for them.

As for this person Carsten...Was that supposed to be an insult?  Cultural level?  If I'm reading you right, that has to be the most ignorant thing I've possibly ever heard in here...Cultural level..how about intelligence level....I've got my suspisions about your "culture", but it would be politically incorrect for me to mention them in here, must be a door-knocker!....let's stick to the topic people!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2003, 08:49:00 am »
@cyberpunk

To many missunderstandings here, for sure. I don't like that doorknockers as you do also nore do I support any religions (don't know why you would think I'am one?), but from your writings one could think you compare us complainers here with doorknockers as well!

But if you feel destroying historical values is okay then I still think that this is kind of ethic (or culture, or whatever you want) that I don't understand. Somehow you should have some respect for those things.

If you don't, well, I can't help it anyway - it's your life, and you may do what you want. Anyway, why should I insult you - apart fromt the lines you wrote here I know absolutely nothing from you.

I still think it is wrong - I think this of many things that happen in the world, but who cares either.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2003, 09:13:47 am »
Apoligies for the bad comparision "doorknockers" that just stuck out in my head because I've had a visit recently...I'm a fairly religious person and curtious to everyone I meet...so when I was approached at my home and they began their presentation...I took the hook thinking that they were simply trying to recrute members for their new church.  My wife, a church going person, was looking for a church closer to home, so I invited them in...after briefly talking for awhile...It soon occurred to me the true meaning of their visit.  Now I'm the type of person that likes to have the telemarketers repeat everything they've said while I give the phone to my 8 year old daughter, just for kicks...so I in return tried to persuade these JW people to convert to Christianity....they then proceeded to tell me what was lacking from my religion and why I should become one of them...to make a very long story short, I ended up offending them because I said their religion sounded more like a cult than anything (only letting a certain number of people into heaven...what a load of crap!)....after they left, I was completely frustrated because these people wanted to PUSH, PUSH, PUSH there views onto me and didn't care that I didn't see things their way...In their eyes, I was wrong, my religion was wrong, my beliefs, feelings, thoughts, and even actions were wrong....Even though I thought those people leaving my house were complete nut-cases and felt sorry for them...I respect their beliefs, just keep them the hell away from me!

I read this post and got the very same vibe from the preservationists trying to push their views...Hey, what you do in your backyard is your business...but this forum is everyone's backyard...I'll respect your views in return for the respect of mine...no one is right or wrong here.  If you think destroying a classic is wrong...you are entitled.  Opinions are like @ssholes, everyone's got one.  I personally think of classic arcades as 8track tapes, cellphones that you had to carry over your shoulder, mainframe computers that take up an entire room, phones with cords on them, televisions without remotes...etc.  These things will always be classics to some people...to me (any many others), they're old, tired, and for the most part...junk...that's MY opinion.  I know it's different than alot of people's, but it doesn't make me wrong.  And you don't see me pushing my view on others saying that anyone who doesn't trash such a cab is wrong.  Historical values?  Classics got us to where we are today...that's where I'm at, and that's what I'm promoting...the present and the future....you wanna live in the past, hang on to your youth...great.  Just let those of us who really don't care much about visiting the past...move forward.  And when someone changes their original gameplan for the approval of others...that's just sad.  We do live in a very sick world lately...just never thought it would extend to arcade gaming as well.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2003, 10:57:58 am »
I thought you were going to go in a totally different place with that story CP..

I thought the JW would see your arcade cabinet, and "find gawd" in pacman or something...  

Like religion's could co-exist if they only played a game of bubble bobble together or something... Mame could solve that whole west bank issue!  =P Mr do and dig dug could be our new golden idols...

er nevermind.. it's clear now that i've gone mad...

rampy

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2003, 11:00:19 am »
Playing too much Dig-dug can do that to you...we're all clearly insane!

Xphile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 12:54:48 am
  • I'll never go back to the NHL!
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2003, 03:26:55 am »
Playing too much Dig-dug can do that to you...we're all clearly insane!

you had the opportunity to witness the gospel of Jesus to them and you let them *leave*?!?

that's it man, you're not going to be one of the 144,000 getting into heaven.. especially since God Likes his cabinets virgin and unbroken...not drilled and cut into..

(I am going to burn in hell almost as bad as hvnsnt for this post..but i'll be in the ring of hell that has access to unmodified donkey kongs and pac mans...he'll be in the ring that has mame cabs with std arcade monitors and no vid cards under 72 hrz..:-)

<edit: you'll notice that this thread is approaching or has recently passed 666 views..it's a *sign*! >
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 11:32:41 am by Xphile »
Pull a year and a half strike- it's over 4eva..
besides, WHL rocks!

hevnsnt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2003, 05:37:18 pm »
hehe just wanted to let everyone know that there has been several updates!  you can now see how it is going to look. :)  Man I love working on this thing.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2003, 08:21:38 am »
hehe just wanted to let everyone know that there has been several updates!  you can now see how it is going to look. :)  Man I love working on this thing.

Oh gawd. You realize you wouldn't have had to lop off the wings to do that control panel right?
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

hevnsnt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2003, 09:03:08 am »
oh well whats done is done..

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2003, 12:44:16 pm »
I think you need to change your web address to:
I Hacked A Dig Dug.com

That cabinet is the equivelent of putting a big fibreglass wing and a blower sticking out of the hood on a '53 Corvette. Nice job on your Frankenstein. You turned a thing of beauty into an eyesore.

hevnsnt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2003, 01:30:31 pm »
Nice job on your Frankenstein.

thanks! :D

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2007, 12:42:50 pm
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2003, 02:25:20 pm »
c'mon brax.  cut the guy some slack.  
There are plenty of people who have done worse to an arcade cab than hevnsnt did.  Besides, it's his.  We don't cut into the guy who decides to store 50 classic games in a leaky garage and he is WAY more deserving.  
Your point's been made.  
(plus, Ive seen many more cabs more deserving of the 'frankensein' title on the examples page (no offense intended to anyone in particular), or even 'converted' cabs in arcades; his cab doesen't look that bad IMHO (although the control panel is a bit large for an 80's style cab and not to my personal tastes).
Im all for fighting the good fight and suggesting to people to preserve older games instead of converting them, but in the end it is thier choice and they should be able to make it and not expect to be chastised about it.

if we keep this up it's gonna start looking like AVSforum in here.....
The sudden sight of me causes panic in the streets. They have yet to learn
-- only the savage fears what he does not understand.
                -- The Silver Surfer

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2003, 06:32:50 pm »
Sorry, can't.

It was nothing less than dumb what he did. Not even slagging him.... It just plain was.

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2003, 07:26:38 pm »
well, Im sorry to hear that.
I thought you had the ability to see other opinions besides your own.
clearly, regardless of your personal opinion, this person put time and energy into what is for him a worthwile and fun project.
to be openly ridiculed, and worse, insulted (frankenstein???) is completley uncalled for.
you expressed your opinion (to spite being asked not too (but, this is a public forum after all so I definately don't fault you for that)), many agreed some did not, but the poster remained tactful and civil throughout. you, however, have not.

I guess, I just had a little more respect for your objectivity is all...

-- The Silver Surfer

Ledbetter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2005, 08:13:19 pm
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2003, 12:01:58 am »
 The original poster has remained civil throught this thread and he should be commended for that. But that doesn't change what he did. His site is a walking advertisement for everything that is wrong about mame.
   Instead of preserving history as mame claims as its goal, mame made it possible (even preferable) to destroy a classic game rather than save it. If there was no mame he would only have one choice- save the original.
    What about all the new people who visit his site and think what a great job he did and they rush out to copy it. Its one thing to do something in the privacy of your own home, but when you advertise it and make a site celebrating it, you should be called on it.

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2003, 05:13:22 am »
ok, wtf is wrong with you guys anyways?  Ok, if someone goes and sees his site, then goes and decides to rip apart a cabinet, they're putting it to good use.  A mame cabinet in a persons home will get 1000 times more play out of it than a rusty old classic that will get cobwebs on it, and probably rot away.
  Here's a great example: so I was at this guys house, party sorta, and I went into this guest room, a fullsize, pretty clean Tron cabinet was sitting in there, but it was getting really dusty, since the power supply kept blowing, and they never bothered to fix it.  I'll bet money its still there a year later, if that thing was a mame cabinet, it would be running at top shape right now.
   Now saying converting a cabinet ruins the point of mame, go back to whatever world you come from man.  MAME, like all other emulators, is there to help us remember our childhood, and play games that we didn't know existed.  Just like ZSNES lets me play games I remember from when I was 10, and I can't even tell you how many games I've bumped into on VirtuaNES that I remember from wayyy back.
   If there was no mame, we wouldn't be here talking about this right now, and the collecting of arcade games probably wouldn't be so precious to soo many people on this board.  Its like when you give people something thats too good to be true, they want the original crappy version back just to say they have it.
   I love original arcade games, but if you can make them better and don't feel any sentimental value to the old version, DO IT!  and if you're stupid enough to follow someone's example just cause they did it, you shouldn't be building a mame cabinet anyways.  Remember, mame cabinets take a LOT of research!
     -luke

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2003, 08:07:51 am »
someone has committed a violent crime.

:-X :-[ :-\ :'(
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2003, 08:09:59 am »
His site is a walking advertisement for everything that is wrong about mame

It was nothing less than dumb what he did

Please...I see nothing but opinions here.  People, what makes this "wrong" or "dumb"...some would say that pushing your opinion off as fact is wrong and dumb...LIKE ME!  Again, here we go with the unwritten (someone really should but the rules down into a manual) rules of cab maming (punn intended).

Oh, by the way, I'm sure all of you have an original cab (with boards and not mame) to be talking smack like that...right?  If not, I guess that would make you a hypocrit....I HATE HYPOCRITS!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2003, 08:15:42 am »
BTW...did you notice how hevnsnt made a post, after reading about everyone's comments about hacking a classic..and posted:

hehe just wanted to let everyone know that there has been several updates!

especially the HEHE part...he's mocking all of you.  Salt in an open wound.  -Funny

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2003, 08:19:02 am »
Ooo, ow.

bahaha, I think it's funnier what he did to himself.

cya, I'm done with this waste of a thread.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2003, 08:28:00 am »
People, what makes this "wrong" or "dumb"...

I see no sense in discussing this, but maybe below is an interesting link taken from these pages. (under "Cabinets") THIS site states that this is wrong, so in my opinion it's no wonder and all you have to expect when you demonstrate classic cabinets with cutoff-wings.

I'll keep my opinions for me now, as it all was written in this thread before anyway.

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_cabinets.shtml

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2003, 08:37:39 am »
Are you refering to:
Please do be mindful that we don't destroy what we're trying to re-create.  Many classic arcade machines are rare and worth a heck of a lot more intact than altered.  Ideal candidates for this type of project are machines that have already been abused by previous owners - artwork destroyed, poorly converted, etc...  If you have a classic cabinet in good shape, you can probably sell it to a collector and get a trashed but usable cabinet in the bargain.
That leaves alot of room and not very specific...I'm talking lists...who says that a Street Fighter cab should be modified before a pacmac or dig-dug?  Who's the judge, I hated pacman and digdug.

I'm not saying that those wanting to preserve these cabs are wrong...just when they open their arrogant mouths and tell others it's wrong...

I don't care who said it or who took the time to write it down and post it somewhere....if it's not ILLEGAL and it's yours, then it's NOT WRONG!  

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2003, 08:45:36 am »
My point is not weather it is right or wrong,
everyone has their own opinion and they have been discussed here, openly.
my personal feeling is that he should have put a little more time into the engineering before grabbing a sawsall..

However, this should not be used as an excuse for the childish behavior I have seen here.
Opnions on either side can be expressed (and have been) by rampy, carsten, and anthony (among others)
What I do think is wrong is demeaning another person's work because you do not agree with it, to each their own and let it go.

The fact that the youngest person on this borard showed more tact and courtesy then everyone else during this childish interlude is pretty damn sad (for us, not him)

end of line.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 08:51:18 am by Elkor »
                -- The Silver Surfer

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2003, 02:44:19 pm »
The fact that the youngest person on this borard showed more tact and courtesy then everyone else during this childish interlude is pretty damn sad (for us, not him)
I can't be the youngest here....

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2003, 03:43:43 pm »
 :)
                -- The Silver Surfer