Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: my cp mockup, opinions/suggestsions?  (Read 3461 times)

Ghoul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
my cp mockup, opinions/suggestsions?
« on: April 05, 2003, 05:01:58 pm »
This is a mockup I did for my cp a while ago. I haven't done any work on my cab in a couple of months because of... well... life. I have all the materials except wood to make my cab (controls, computer, interfaces), and my 2x4 skeleton is finished.

I'm doing the unicade design, but I really don't like his cp design and I don't want a spinner so I'm doing my own.

In case you are wondering that flap with the wire sticking out is just a cardboard box that I grabbed so I could set the CP on something.

THINGS I AM CHANGING:

Before you comment read this:

I was doing this mockup to see how I liked it and what button layout to use. I decided to use the standard straight row 6 button street fighter layout instead of the more "ergonomic" raised middle button layout.

I am probably going to put the two trackball buttons next to each other on the left-hand side of the trackball and possibly put a third one there.

My main concern is that the trackball is a little too close to that right player super joystick. When I was just messing around with it I hit my hand a couple of times. If I move both the trackball buttons to the left, I will probably have to move the trackball a little over to the right, which only makes the problem worse.

So, your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 05:02:24 pm by Ghoul »

Chad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2003, 07:46:59 pm
  • 'There's no place like 127.0.0.1' :thinkgeek.com
    • Chad's Invasion Site
Re:my cp mockup, opinions/suggestsions?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 04:22:52 pm »
What about the player one and player two credit buttons?
Just a thought.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 09:56:58 pm »
IPAC shift mode or setting dip switches to free play on a game should take care of that, yes?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 03:11:00 am »
A couple of thoughts you may want to consider.

1) button placement, are they too far apart?  For fighters they are.

2) your hand didn't hit the 4way?  I can't imangine how it hit the player 2 stick.

3) trackball buttons.  You ever think of doubling up player 1 bottom row buttons as trackball buttons?  That's what I did.

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 04:35:09 am »
A couple of thoughts you may want to consider.

1) button placement, are they too far apart?  For fighters they are.

2) your hand didn't hit the 4way?  I can't imangine how it hit the player 2 stick.

3) trackball buttons.  You ever think of doubling up player 1 bottom row buttons as trackball buttons?  That's what I did.

1) Well they shouldn't be too far apart I don't think. I used the street fighter template, printed out to scale. The layout was designed in visio and then we drew on the dimensions.

2) I was just messing around slamming the trackball around like you would in marble madness or something. The 4 way stick is the ms pac/galaga stick, and as such it is really low. It would be extreeeeeeeeemly hard to hit it with your hand.

3) Not a bad idea

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 12:49:20 pm »
Here's my suggestions:

1) I'd add a 4th button to one of the rows so that you can play Neo-Geo games properly.

2) You say your buttons are the exact same layout as Street Fighter but they do look awfully far from the stick.  Look at this link as a comparison: http://www.darkravenwind.com/cdvision/sfcab.htm

3) You've got plenty of room in the center.  I'd move the 4 way a *little* further up, away from the trackball.

4) No reason to have two fire buttons by the 4-way *and* two mouse buttons.  Just make the mouse buttons do double duty.  That's what i did with mine and it worked out great.

5) The player two stick looks plenty far away from the trackball.  It seems to be about the same distance as mine and i haven't hit my hand yet even during Marble Madness and Golden Tee marathon sessions.

6) Even though you say you don't want a spinner, i'd leave yourself the room in case you want to install one later.  Without one you're going to be missing out on a lot of great games (Arkanoid, Tempest, Tron, Discs of Tron, etc).  You've got the room, might as well make the most of it.

thelevin8r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2006, 03:25:20 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 05:00:30 pm »
Also, as was pointed out to me when I asked for input on my CP, having your mouse buttons on either side of the trackball could be awkward. It might make more sence to put then next to each other.