Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Test My Spinner Game for Me?  (Read 2051 times)

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Test My Spinner Game for Me?
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:53:41 pm »
I'm trying to get better at coding games, mostly for fun. I started with a very simple game for my handheld build and now moving up.

Gyruss is one of my favorites so I thought I'd try to recreate that next - but controlled with a joystick OR spinner.

I don't have a spinner (yet). Would anyone be willing to test my very early code with their controls and see how it works? Download link below.

http://sergiostuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Gryuss-Remake_06.zip

After extracting, you will have to turn the spinner setting to "true" in the settings.ini file. Otherwise it defaults to standard arrow controls. And adjust sensitivity to your liking, somewhere between 0.0 and 2.0 is probably good. If Windows warns you about running, I can assure you this is not a virus.

Controls
5 = coin
Ctrl = Start and Shoot
Left/Right = Movement, unless spinner is turned on
Esc = Quit
F12 = Toggle fullscreen

I've only been able to test with my mouse so far, so real world info would be fantastic. And I won't be able to do my physical build with a spinner until this summer. This is purely a learning endeavor, I don't ever plan on releasing or selling this. The real Gyruss will always be better than anything I can make.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Test My Spinner Game for Me?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:58:43 pm »
Would anyone be willing to test my very early code with their controls and see how it works?
Looks like it works well in freeplay (default) other than two minor issues:

1. When you first start a game, turning right/clockwise does not register until you turn left/counter-clockwise or die once.
- After you turn left or die, the spinner works properly until you start a new game.

2. After you clear the level, there's no second level or return to attract mode.
- You have to exit and restart to play again.

Scott

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Test My Spinner Game for Me?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:10 pm »
Scott, seems like you can always be counted on! Thanks for giving it a shot.

I haven't built any levels yet, so that accounts for point two. I'll have to see why it doesn't start triggering spinner movement until you've moved left or died.