Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dual Monitor Requests In VJ  (Read 2873 times)

Ted_Striker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
Dual Monitor Requests In VJ
« on: April 04, 2003, 09:34:38 pm »
I am loving the dual monitor support in VJ.  And I appretiate Cyberpunk working hard on the visualisations that people have requested.  However assuming that a multimedia control that supports vis. can't be found (currently) or is too expensive.  I would like to suggest a couple other alternatives and requests.  It just seems that when no videos are playing (I have only 2 right now) or no lyrics (I personally don't really care for lyrics and I'm not going to download 2000+ lyric sheets) the second window goes pretty much unused.   So here is a few suggestions that might be nice.  

1.  Display a full screen shot of the albumn cover currently playing in the second display.

2.  Expand VJ selections screen to 2 screens with 2 albumn covers on each screen.  The sliding motion for albumn selection would slide from one screen to the other.

3.  An expanded play list showing what's up next with full name, number and albumn cover.  Maybe use albumn thumbnails and show next 3 songs up or something like that.

4.  Some sort of visualization to go with the music ;) ... oh wait scratch that one.

5.  Enable a screen saver to play when video isn't.  Then we could go find our own "visualizations".  It might not be sync'd to the music but it would atleast keep things moving on the otherwise blank screen.

6.  Random albumn covers from the "most popular" list.

If at all possible could the base skin be extended to the second monitor.  I think this would add a bit of polish.  I like the brushed metal VJ skin.  I would like to see it around the video window as well.

Cyberpunk, please view these as only suggestions.  I am in no way unhappy with VJ.  You strive so hard to make everyone happy that "feature creep" could easily keep you off track.  Software will never get "done" if you always listen to us yahoo's.  I would always like to see bugs fixed before features.  And I assume you have a family too that need your time more than visualizations!

Thanks for VJ.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
Re:Dual Monitor Requests In VJ
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 08:40:08 pm »
Ted,

All of the above suggestions are great and I am still trying to impliment something...as a first choice, I'd like to impliment some visualizations...but I'm having a hard time finding some OCX or custom control to do this (without having to create my own...direct-x programming is so time-consuming)...my second choice is a screen saver (which is much easier), but i'm holding out for the visualizations...any suggestions or help would be appreciated or even compensated.  As far as request...requests are what made the program what it is now...new features are just as important as bug fixes...if the program doesn't do what someone wants...then it's pretty much useless...keep the request coming...the list is getting much longer than I can program, but I'll get to it sooner or later!

PS.  I created one of those quick/Free message boards until I can redesign the website for VMJ....

www.virtualmusicjukebox.com

I've also created a method for non-registered users to access the resource center!

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 11:57:12 pm »
Thanks for the comments about the requests... I just always feel guilty laying them out there... like a whinning little kid that isn't happy with the first two pieces of candy you gave them.  I'm thrilled with the evolution of VJ.  I just want to avoid the "gimme gimme gimme" mentality.  Same thing when people gripe about Mame front ends.  They are free for god sakes.  Even though VJ has a registration fee, you are probably making about a nickel per hour in coding time.
ok done rambling :).

Honestly I would like the visualisations as well way above anything I wrote up there.  However #2 would be my second choice of options.  

Did the idea of a flipping animation or possibly a sliding animation with 4 albumn covers (so you get 4 new albumns every button push) make the research list?  Is this under consideration at all?  

Also,  could you please make a list of things that other users could do to aid in the developement of VJ.  I'm no programmer but if there is research that could be done (besides the ocx controls... we know that one) or beta testing that could be done that could further vj developement (free up your time to code) please let us know.  I want to help atleast.  You can contact me directly.  You should have my email.

Donor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2003, 10:00:50 pm
  • First you want to Kill me, now you want to Kiss me
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 01:58:07 pm »
I think striker has some really great ideas, the one I like most is Option #3.

"3.  An expanded play list showing what's up next with full name, number and albumn cover.  Maybe use albumn thumbnails and show next 3 songs up or something like that."

Having matching skins on boths screen and showing the song queue with the album thumbnail. Now think that would look and work great.

Option #2 would also be a good feature as some may have small monitors and expanding the screen would give the user a much bigger viewing area. But I would need 4 covers per page.

"2.  Expand VJ selections screen to 2 screens with 2 albumn covers on each screen.  The sliding motion for albumn selection would slide from one screen to the other."

Great suggestions Ted_Striker!!

And Thanks for all the hard work cyber!