Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: P360 vs. Super review complete  (Read 17600 times)

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
P360 vs. Super review complete
« on: April 04, 2003, 08:29:12 pm »
I have completed a comparison review of the Happ Super and the Happ Perfect 360 joysticks.  This review was done very much like the Super/Comp/Ultimate review I did a while back, which includes a tear-down of the joystick and looking at the base construction, shafts, springs, & actuators.

The review is at http://www.oscarcontrols.com/joycompare/joyreview2.shtml

Questions or comments are always welcome!   :)

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:P360 vs. Super review complete
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 08:59:11 pm »
Oscar, once again thanks for a great, indepth, review!

My personal aside: I wish this review was avilable before the happ sale ended, but after reading the review, I'm glad I didn't buy them.  I've never had any major problems with my Supers (besides one jerk hitting the joystick in rage and bending one of the actuator blades).  I bent it back and still works fine.  Obviously this is a disadvantage with the Supers.

I have a couple 49-way sticks (were left over in one cab I have) and the shaft looks identical to the p360.  I bet the feel is very similar too.  

I do have a question though.  Oscar, are the "throws" similar on both sticks?  The circle of movement on my 49-way seems wider than the Super.  Just wondering if the P360 is the same way.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 09:16:03 pm »
Thanks for your comments, Dave.  I wish I had the review finished before the sale ended, too.  Unfortunately the time I have to do these extra things is pretty limited, and I kinda feel bad that I didn't have it ready in time.

The throw of the Super and P360 is nearly identical.  I will definitely add that to the review, it was kinda an oversight to not include that.  Another thing I see I forgot to mention is the shaft diameters and I will add that as well.  The Super has a 10mm shaft and the P360 has a 3/8" (9.5mm) shaft in case anyone wants to know now.

The lever arms on the Super are somewhat of a disadvantage, but not quite so bad in a home environment as in an arcade.  Most arcade games I've seen in the US use Ultimates because operators find the Supers to be a bit more high-maintenance due to bent levers, like you mentioned.

Amra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2023, 05:22:46 am
  • Save a tree, Eat a beaver!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 11:15:51 pm »
Very good review!  Thank you much OSCAR!
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 12:31:35 am »
I'm still pissed I missed that sale!  I was either going to buy this radar detector from a guy for super cheap or the joystick, so I brought the cash to the guy at school on monday, and he forgot to ask his dad about it, so I decided I was going to risk it, and say bye to the perfect 360s (I was going to get 2 of em)  and instead get a really nice radar detector, then he comes to school the next day and says his dad's getting way more than I was going to pay for the detector, so I got jacked!  Still mad bout that, I was going to build a 2 player CP with perfect 360s much like Met4lSlug's minus the L-30s.  Well if anyone has any used perfect 360s, gimme a jingle, cause I'm still looking.
     -CthulhuLuke

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 06:53:53 am »
First class review, as always, OSCAR!!!

I doubt that you will add this to the review, as you seem to have a policy of not plugging your own products on your own website (???), but . . .

The impression I got from the review is -

The supers are excellent in 8-way mode, and barely acceptable in 4-way mode.  However, a Super in 8-way mode plays very well in 4-way games using the OSCAR restrictor plates.  (That last sentence was from the consensus of BYOAC, not from the current review).

The P360's are equal to the Supers in 8-way mode (without the clickiness) and actually usable in 4-way mode, but, as most of us know, that actuator is a pain to flip, so . . . either you lose ten minutes converting them back and forth, or you need a second (third?) P360 on your panel as a dedicated 4-way (pricey!).

My question:  How do the P360's work for 4-way games when used in 8-way mode with a set of OSCAR restrictor plates?
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 07:04:50 am »
Oscar, that 360 handle looks just like the happs competition sticks.  Also the spring sounds like the happs competition heavy springs.  Can you comment on these points (if the parts are interchangable, for instance)?

BTW, great review, again.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 04:29:47 pm »
Great review!

(I had a question, but your review actually answered it, so never mind.  :P)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 04:31:12 pm by Sasquatch! »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 08:57:07 pm »
Thanks for all the comments, guys!!

First class review, as always, OSCAR!!!

I doubt that you will add this to the review, as you seem to have a policy of not plugging your own products on your own website (???), but . . .

LOL!!  TH, you know me well enough to know that it's not my style to plug my own products when I am trying to provide (hopefully) useful info to the BYOAC folk.  And I wouldn't really call it a policy, so to speak, but I do try to keep a faint division between my favorite hobby and the business, as silly as that might sound.

The supers are excellent in 8-way mode, and barely acceptable in 4-way mode.  However, a Super in 8-way mode plays very well in 4-way games using the OSCAR restrictor plates.  (That last sentence was from the consensus of BYOAC, not from the current review).

The P360's are equal to the Supers in 8-way mode (without the clickiness) and actually usable in 4-way mode, but, as most of us know, that actuator is a pain to flip, so . . . either you lose ten minutes converting them back and forth, or you need a second (third?) P360 on your panel as a dedicated 4-way (pricey!).

My question:  How do the P360's work for 4-way games when used in 8-way mode with a set of OSCAR restrictor plates?

I actually installed P360's in my cabinet today to test just this.  Amazingly, the P360's work very well with the restrictors.  I had my doubts because when I designed the restrictors, their compatibility with the P360's was not even a consideration.  I had Comp's in my cabinet before today, but I am going to stick with the P360's now that I see how well they work with the restrictors.  I actually played one of my best games of Ms. Pac-Man today with a P360 and the 4-way restrictor.

Oscar, that 360 handle looks just like the happs competition sticks.  Also the spring sounds like the happs competition heavy springs.  Can you comment on these points (if the parts are interchangable, for instance)?

BTW, great review, again.

Thanks, u_rebel!

The handles do look very similar but there are a few dimensional differences.  Right off the bat I am going to say that they aren't interchangeable because of the different shaft diameters; 10mm for the Comp and 9.5mm for the P360.  The e-clip grooves are positioned differently on the shafts, too, but that could likely be accommodated for by using different spacers.  Here's a pic of the handles and some sketches I drew with dimensions I measured from each of the sticks.

The springs are very similar.  The P360 has a slightly larger wire diameter and feels just a tad stiffer, but other that they are interchangeable.

Homebrew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2012, 09:48:55 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2003, 11:50:46 pm »
Does anyone else find that the P360's joystick grips to be too hard?  I think they feel much more like plastic than the super's.  Am i making any sense?  To me the Super grips have a softer, almost rubbery feel.  Not quite sure how to explain it, but suffice it to say that i prefer the feel of the super grips.  This brings me to an odd question.  If there's any machinists in here, i'd appreciate your input.  Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to get super handles machined down so that they would fit the P360?  I'm sure its not cheap, but if its within reason, i'd consider it.  I really just do not like the feel of the P360 grip.  I like the performance of the P360's, but they feel cheaper constructed to me.  If i had paid full price for them i'd be a little dissapointed.  

-Kevin

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 06:32:36 am »

The handles do look very similar but there are a few dimensional differences.  Right off the bat I am going to say that they aren't interchangeable because of the different shaft diameters; 10mm for the Comp and 9.5mm for the P360.  The e-clip grooves are positioned differently on the shafts, too, but that could likely be accommodated for by using different spacers.  Here's a pic of the handles and some sketches I drew with dimensions I measured from each of the sticks.
[snip]
The springs are very similar.  The P360 has a slightly larger wire diameter and feels just a tad stiffer, but other that they are interchangeable.

Thanks again!  Those side-by-side pics really show the differences.
I had just opened up my competition hacked w/ raider pro sticks and replaced the springs just before reading you review, and that's why I was really drawn to the almost similarities.

Does anyone else find that the P360's joystick grips to be too hard?  I think they feel much more like plastic than the super's.  Am i making any sense?  To me the Super grips have a softer, almost rubbery feel.  Not quite sure how to explain it...

I understand what you're saying.  Sounds just like the softer "rubber-ish" semi-trans blue raider pro handle vs the harder "plastic-y" black raider pro handle.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

GroovyTuesdaY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2005, 03:22:18 am
  • "Follow the white rabbit! ....KNOCK KNOCK NEO...."
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 07:16:15 am »
I ordered my SLIKSTIK with the P360's, since they didnt CLICK.     I'm sorry, but to me, a joystick SHOULD NOT click LOL.  Buttons.....well..ok, i can live with that, but Not stick. :D  hehee.  Now, this is just MY personal preference as  i know there a TON of people out there that dont seem to mind that too much.  

I bought an arcade joystick for the SNES & Genesis called the ARCADIAN and it was pretty nifty since it used REAL arcade parts. Not sure what the type of joystick i had ,but it CLICKED and it drov
e me NUTS!

So, for my Slikstick i opted to get the upgrade to the P360'S and im hopeing that they will feel great. After reading OSCARS review, im sure i wont be disappointed!!! Thanks OSCAR!

Anyone else have the p360 with their SLIKSTIK?
Chime in and let us know how you like them . :)

G~
In the mighty words of the BEE GEES im-
"STAYIN' ALIVE, STAYIN' ALIVE!"
hehehe

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 03:51:50 pm »
Thanks for a very interesting review Oscar. Please can you (or anyone else) answer a few questions:

Does anyone know who actually manufactures the Perfect 360s? It might be cheaper to buy directly from them rather than through Happ who are after all just distributors. It is definitely not Industrias Lorenzo. I emailed then to ask whether they sold optical joysticks some time ago and they said no.

Are the Perfect 360s still being made? The reason I ask is that the top section of the joystick's base looks like the top of an old Wico leaf base, and they are definitely no longer manufactured.

I read in a very old post that the Wico ball top handles could be used with Perfect 360 bases. Is that true?

Some time ago you said you would be doing a review of the Wico leaf joysticks. Was it ever written?

Thanks in advance.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

PCC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2003, 04:12:28 pm
    • PC Cab
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 04:29:42 pm »
Oscar, you had previously tossed around the idea of making a ball top replacement handle for the Happ Supers and Competitions.  I would think that there is also some interest a ball top for the P360.
E-mail: info@pccab.net

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 09:33:07 pm »
Thanks for a very interesting review Oscar. Please can you (or anyone else) answer a few questions:

Does anyone know who actually manufactures the Perfect 360s? It might be cheaper to buy directly from them rather than through Happ who are after all just distributors. It is definitely not Industrias Lorenzo. I emailed then to ask whether they sold optical joysticks some time ago and they said no.

Are the Perfect 360s still being made? The reason I ask is that the top section of the joystick's base looks like the top of an old Wico leaf base, and they are definitely no longer manufactured.

I read in a very old post that the Wico ball top handles could be used with Perfect 360 bases. Is that true?

Some time ago you said you would be doing a review of the Wico leaf joysticks. Was it ever written?

Thanks in advance.

Ahhh, clever Grasshopper...  :)

I guess the below photos explain who manufactures the P360 bases.  Sometimes ya can't see the forest for the trees!  Regarding the review of the Wico leaf, I never completed it.  Since they are no longer being produced, I sort of lost interest.  I jumped ahead on the P360 because they seem to be the flavor-of-the-month lately.  Perhaps I'll go back and finish that one when time permits.

PCC - After I did some digging around I found that it wouldn't be economically feasible for me to produce the handles.  For a relatively low production (as far as plastic moldings go), the initial costs of the molds and tooling would make the price of the joysticks astronomical.  I imagine this kind of project would have to be taken on by someone with an "inside track", if you take my meaning.  I believe the person who was eBay'ing the reproduction balltop handles either worked at, had contacts, or owned a plastic molding facility based on some comments I read on RGVAC.

However the good thing is that Wico balltop handles fit the P360's perfect, so there isn't a need for anyone to reinvent the wheel.  :)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 10:03:45 pm by OSCAR »

PCC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2003, 04:12:28 pm
    • PC Cab
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 10:07:21 pm »
Thanks OSCAR, that's awesome.  I did a quick search on eBay and I can't find those Wico replacement handles.  Are they still being produced?  Does anybody have a link that they could share?  Thanks in advance.
E-mail: info@pccab.net

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 10:18:10 pm »
I haven't seen them on eBay for quite a while, either.  Check out www.arcadeshop.com, I think those are made by the same supplier of the ones that were on eBay.  I don't know if ArcadeShop carries the 4" handles for wood panels, though.

MrToasty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2007, 12:33:21 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 10:39:36 pm »
Thanks OSCAR, that's awesome.  I did a quick search on eBay and I can't find those Wico replacement handles.  Are they still being produced?  Does anybody have a link that they could share?  Thanks in advance.

His ebay id is n2new@aol.com.  You can email him (Tom) directly and he'll take care of you.  And yes, he makes the sticks for Arcadeshop.

Oscar - great review.  Grasshopper - nice catch with the handles.  Now I can buy replacements to use with my 360s or my Wicos.

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2003, 07:30:54 am »
That's sooo cool with the ball top.  I always was a fan of the balltop joysticks as I grew up playing TMNT for hours on end at a local pay-by-the-hour free-play arcade.  Good times.  Anyways, to my question.  Have you found any other instances like this with other joysticks?
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 04:05:18 pm
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 08:48:07 am »
PCC, I just happen to have some spare 4" wicos laying around, I'll bring 'em in...

Of course they are the wrong color....

Doug
..as his cold lifeless fingers lie motionless on the garage floor, all he could hear in his head was...I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME OF DONKEY KONG!!

Dak-ak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2008, 05:14:50 pm
  • RSD: Redefining Slacking Daily
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 05:05:15 am »
Does anyone else find that the P360's joystick grips to be too hard?  I think they feel much more like plastic than the super's.  Am i making any sense?  To me the Super grips have a softer, almost rubbery feel.  Not quite sure how to explain it, but suffice it to say that i prefer the feel of the super grips.  This brings me to an odd question.  If there's any machinists in here, i'd appreciate your input.  Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to get super handles machined down so that they would fit the P360?  I'm sure its not cheap, but if its within reason, i'd consider it.  I really just do not like the feel of the P360 grip.  I like the performance of the P360's, but they feel cheaper constructed to me.  If i had paid full price for them i'd be a little dissapointed.  

-Kevin

any machinist with a lathe could machine them down with ease... especially if you can get the handle off, it should only be a couple minute job... chuck it up, and cut a little bit off the OD...

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2003, 10:51:42 pm »
Just an update on the Wico balltop change out...

I installed a pair of them tonight.  Simply amazing!  I think the P360's seem even more precise and easier to control with the balltop handles.

Berzerk and Robotron just seemed so easy, I easily beat my high score on both of those games on the first try.  And I quit playing Robotron before I lost all my lives just so I could try them out on another game!

I can honestly say that the P360's w/ Wico balltop handles are all I'm going to use on my cabs for 8-ways from now on.  The heavy spring gives them almost a squishy feel like grommets, but much more precise and a stronger return-to-center action.  These seem to give all the benefits of leaf joysticks without the drawbacks, namely loss of precision due to bent or misadjusted switches.

Here's a few pics of them installed on my mock-up panel I've been play testing:
http://www.oscarcontrols.com/tmp/P360-wico1.jpg
http://www.oscarcontrols.com/tmp/P360-wico2.jpg
http://www.oscarcontrols.com/tmp/P360-wico3.jpg

BTW, I'm using the 4" handles and I recessed the bases 3/8" into a 3/4" MDF panel.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2003, 08:09:34 am »
I'm so tempted to buy a couple of the Perfect 360s. If only they weren't so damned expensive!

I realise that this is a little off topic, but Oscar's explanation about how the Perfect 360 can be switched between 4 and 8 way operation has made we wonder whether the Suzo inductive joystick works in a similar way.

According to their website the joystick is universal 4 & 8 way, and can be adjusted by a potentiometer. It occurs to me that adjusting the potentiometer may be the equivalent of changing the diameter of the actuator on the 360s. If this is the case then it opens up all sorts of possibilities. For example the potentiometer could be replaced by a toggle switch and a couple of resistors. You could then switch the joystick between 4 and 4 way operation simply by flicking a switch on the outside of your panel. With a bit of extra circuitry you could even go one stage further and control the 4/8 way switching through software by connecting the circuit up to one of the keyboard LEDs.

Has anyone on this board actually used one of these joysticks? I own one of the Suzo series 500 joysticks which is the microswitch equivalent of their inductive joystick and I think these joysticks are very underrated. Once you get used to the short throw they provide very precise control.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2003, 11:15:55 pm »
An interesting tidbit...

I recently changed out the spring on the Player2 P360 stick in my cabinet with the lighter Super spring to test the difference between the springs.  Shortly after I changed out the spring, I had a few "fighter" fans (MvsC, MvsSF) over for a night of gameplaying, but I didn't say anything about the difference between the joysticks.

After a few rounds, guys were fighting over who got to use the P2 side (interesting because many people feel at a disadvantage playing in the more unaccustomed P2 position)...  Apparently they really preferred the feel of the lighter spring in the P360 for fighters and when I mentioned what the difference was between the sticks, they made me change out the spring in the P1 stick too because it was "unfair".   Heh...   ;)

crashdmj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2003, 08:55:42 pm
  • Hulk smash!
    • Best webpage in the Universe!!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2003, 11:24:40 pm »
Was it the sort of spring that you can pick up at a hardware store?

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2003, 11:32:52 pm »

I used some Happ Super joystick springs I had lying around.  Possibly you can find a suitable match at a hardware store.  Specs of the Happ Super spring I measured can be found in my initial review of the Super at http://www.oscarcontrols.com/joycompare/joyreview1.shtml.

shorton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2016, 12:54:14 am
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2003, 10:18:13 am »

I used some Happ Super joystick springs I had lying around.  Possibly you can find a suitable match at a hardware store.  Specs of the Happ Super spring I measured can be found in my initial review of the Super at http://www.oscarcontrols.com/joycompare/joyreview1.shtml.

So one could get a new super and swap springs?  Might as well turn this into a $120 joystick :-) ...

Thanks,
Scott

shorton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2003, 11:06:53 am »
However the good thing is that Wico balltop handles fit the P360's perfect, so there isn't a need for anyone to reinvent the wheel.  :)

I hunted for the Wico ball-top handles (or complete joysticks), but their website on-line catalog does not show any - at least none like the pics above as far as I can tell.  They only list a "universal":
http://www.wicothesource.com/new2/pages/page88.htm

Am I mising something?  Where can one get the handles like those in this thread (round ball-top) for the 360's?

Thanks,
Scott

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2003, 11:43:35 am »
Ebay...
Wico replacement shafts...
For instance...
This auction

;D
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

shorton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Ebay... Wico replacement shafts... <snip>
Thank you.  Bidding now...
Cheers,
Scott

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2003, 01:26:44 pm »
Also, bear in mind that www.slikstik.com is now offering balltop sticks made to be incorporated into a Perfect 360 base.  They are all stainless steel so they look way cooler than the original Wico sticks, IMHO.

Slikstik's stainless steel bat-style handles took some heat for being so top heavy that they would bounce back when released hard enough to trigger the joystick in the opposite direction.  The balltops look to me like they would not be nearly as heavy and wouldn't suffer this problem.  I don't know yet, though, as I haven't personally tried them and have not heard from anyone who has (though www.retroblast.com is currently reviewing them and plans to have a review up soon).
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

subzero23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 03:21:43 am
Re: P360 vs. Super review complete
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 06:44:18 am »
Has anyone thought that they might use the Ultimate joystick shaft for the P360?
http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/507608xxx.htm

If so I think that's great because that shaft is just WONDERFUL feeling....even though the joystick itself sux

If not, Oscar or someone: can you tell us if the shaft of the two joysticks feel similar? texture wise

competition has a texture/grit I just don't like....
This user has been banned by saint and cannot reply. --- saint

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2004, 02:26:07 pm »
Ultimate shafts are smaller in diameter than all other currently produced Happ sticks.  They won't work.

subzero23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2004, 04:01:26 pm »
Ya but if you notice on oscar's page the P360's diameter is also smaller

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2004, 06:41:58 pm »
According to Oscar's diagrams, the P360 is .021 smaller than the Comp.  That's pretty darn close, it's hard to even see if you just hold them up next to each other.  But the Ultimate is WAY smaller than everything else.  It's really not even close.  In your other thread, where you compared Comps to Ultimates, didn't you notice this when you were trying to swap handles?  The Ultimates are like half the diameter of everything else Happ makes.  Forget it, they won't work.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2004, 07:57:48 pm »
Oh, KICK ASS!

As soon as I saw that wico handle on a p-360 base I ordered a pair right up!
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

subzero23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 09:45:06 pm »
According to Oscar's diagrams, the P360 is .021 smaller than the Comp.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 01:24:46 pm
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 11:48:34 pm »
The Wico Ball Top shaft is larger than the one on the Ultimate so if the wico fits in a P360 then the shaft of the P360 must be larger than the ultimates right?

How does a Happ P360 with a Wico Ball Top compare to a Wico joystick with a P360 adapter harness?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2004, 12:06:30 am »
The Wico Ball Top shaft is larger than the one on the Ultimate so if the wico fits in a P360 then the shaft of the P360 must be larger than the ultimates right?

How does a Happ P360 with a Wico Ball Top compare to a Wico joystick with a P360 adapter harness?  Also does any one know if you can take the Happ P360 bat top handle and put it on a Wico 8-way leaf switch joystick?

I'll be able to answer the handle question real soon.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 01:10:03 am »
How does a Happ P360 with a Wico Ball Top compare to a Wico joystick with a P360 adapter harness?  Also does any one know if you can take the Happ P360 bat top handle and put it on a Wico 8-way leaf switch joystick?

I'm sending Christian at SlikStik a Wico assembly to test his pretty new p360 handles in, so he can verify that those will fit, anyway.

Absolutely right.  In fact, just to settle this once and for all, I dug an Ultimate out of the junk box, and pulled a Wico handle.  Here's a picture, Wico is on the left, Ultimate is on the right.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 10:19:39 am by Kremmit »

Hiub1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2011, 11:43:25 am
  • www.sleepyjack.com
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2004, 12:56:09 pm »
Any news on this? I recently got 2 Wico 8 way bases, with brand new grommets and ball tops, with the P360 adapters and they are no doubt the best joysticks I've used so far. I would love to know if the slickstick handles fit the wico bases.

Thanks, Fred.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2004, 09:38:03 pm »
SlikStik hasn't gotten back to me yet, or posted here either.  I was going to wait 'til after the Holidays and then start bugging them.  I guess it's almost after the Holidays, right?  ;D

Hiub1

• Offline Offline
  • www.sleepyjack.com
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
Well, now it is. Have at them man  ;D

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2005, 10:25:14 am »
OK, just got mail from Christian at SlikStik; he says he's working on some new handles for Wico and others, and will post news here as soon as they're ready (so let's not all bug him about them, hey?).  Strangely, he doesn't say specifically if he tried the P360 handles in the Wico assembly though.  Anybody that ordered them want to try it out?

Hiub1

• Offline Offline
  • www.sleepyjack.com
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2005, 05:10:23 pm »
Ah good news! I am eager to hear what he comes up with.

gamer4ever745

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2006, 02:28:06 pm
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 03:41:49 pm »
I personally prefer Supers and most other microswitches over the P360's.

True you can't "feel" the joysticks, but that is the point!    I am a fan of fighting games and I missed the clicking.   The Supers and Competion feel about the same to me.   That is after a year of playing!

I got Rotaries on as the main, and they too suit me just fine.   Plus they are great for the rotary games.   I guess I am just not that picky.   Don't have a problem hitting the diagonals anytime I want.