Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mario Bros in Red !  (Read 58434 times)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Mario Bros in Red !
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:18:36 am »
So.........was this first a Radarscope that got converted to a Donkey Kong and then to a Mario Bros.........or......was this a Radarscope that was directly converted to a Mario Bros..... ?

Anyway it looks VERY nice and it's MINE :D !!!

YES !

Just one slight problem........no PCB  :'(

Anyone got a Mario Bros PCB for sale ?    :D

EDIT: TO DO LIST:

- get a capkit and a width-kit for the Sanyo 20C
- install capkits
- mount the new audio amplifier properly
- repair side damage (need PAINT for that, trying to get some from Darthnuno :)
- repair kickplate damage, only then can I reinstallg the coindoor
- fix the coinmech frontplate or get a new frontplate or entire mech.
- get CPO overlay (ordered with Mamemarquees since there are no silkscreened repro's of the narrow-body MB CPO.)
- get CP carriagebolts THANKS LUIGI !!!
- get coinmech bolts
- get 2 orange NINTENDO push buttons
- get a 4-way restrictor for one joystick
- dissassemble and check/fix joysticks
- try to do a leaf switch hack  for the buttons. (Yes I AM willing to sacrifice originality for this !)
- polish the bezel more
- paint the foot black

Damn, that's a lot more than I thought !

After the restore is complete I will be searching for a way to get the following running:

- MB PCB (already in there 100% OK.
- Popeye bootleg PCB. Working and on it's way from Germany. Hope I can select video inversion on that one.
- DKjr bootleg PCB. Working already here. Needs video inversion. Sound was OK on JAMMA, seems to be a problem with it on the Nintendo cab (weird)
- DK (original) -4  board (unknown if it works)

I even got an original DKjr board here now, but it's completely dead. This one has the audio amp on board ! (Which is pretty rare AFAIK).

Anyway, for all this I need Mark Spaeth's Nintendo switchers which are not available yet....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:46:18 pm by Level42 »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Mario Bros in Red !
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:13:15 am »
I've seen the orange version in the wild. I think they made some like that and some powder blue. It looks like the wide body version to me. I think Donkey Kong was narrow nintendo cabinet.

Congrats! It's an awesome game.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:38 am »
That's an original Radarscope cab......there was another game that used that cab as well, but can't think of it off the top of my head.
Note how many slots are on the speaker grill and that it has only one coin slot, defineately an early Nintendo cab from when they went to that cab design.

Are there any metal tags on the back of the machine? (top area)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:30:20 am by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
Thanks leapinlew.....an extremely rare find here !

Check out KLOV's info about Mario Bros:

The game was originally released in the dedicated wide-body cabinet seen above. Many later games were built as conversions, often using other Nintendo cabinets like the orange Donkey Kong Junior cabinet shown on the right.
The conversion kit came with the control panel assembly, front plexiglass, marquee, sideart, hardware to re-orient the monitor, the PCB and the wiring harnesses. It was designed to quickly convert Donkey Kong and similar Nintendo series cabinets.

This is what the wide-body looks like:

You can see the following differences: The speaker is in the center pn the wide body, and the marquee is different. The conversion-kit has a text balloon on the left saying: 2-player feature !

KLOV also says that the early Donkey Kongs were red, instead of the famous blue because of the Radar Scope conversion....

Oooooooo wellll I'll have to wait to wednesday when I'm going to pick it up :D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:31:01 am »
That's an original Radarscope cab......there was another game that used that cab as well, but can't think of it off the top of my head.
Don't you mean that the not-selling Radar Scopes were converted to DK ? I thought Radar Scope was Ninteno's first arcade game ever ?

Note how many slots are on the speaker grill and that it has only one coin slot, defineately an early Nintendo cab from when they went to that cab design.
[/quote] Well remember I'm in Europe so it could be because of this that it only has one coin mech. F.I. the Galaxian I've got also only has one coin-entry/mech, while every other Galaxian I've seen (on the internet) so far has two...

Are there any metal tags on the back of the machine? (top area)
Can't answer that until wednesday I'm afraid.....will let you know !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:32:45 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:54 am »
.....there was another game that used that cab as well, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

Or maybe you meant Heli Fire ? http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8101
However, this cab is different in that the sides are not sloped back near the CP. (The black & white) picture of the Radar Scope cab on KLOV is exactly the same as that Heli Fire cab.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:33:47 pm »
Well, this has been a topic of discussion a few times on several forums and all seems open to opinion and interpretation. I've personally looked into it a little and come to some of my own conclusions. Some of the "early years" of Nintendo as far as "arcade" games is a little lost as far as true documetation of which came first....the chicken or the egg type thing. They most defineately had a few "arcade" games before Radar Scope. I'm thinking Radar Scope was one of the first to distribute overseas to the US and abroad etc.

Monkey Magic
Sheriff
Space Fever
Space Launcher
SF Hisplitter

Space Firebird
Radar Scope
HeliFire

Donkey Kong
Sky Skipper

As for the history of Radar Scope and it's demise into Donkey Kong......

Wikipedia on Radarscope
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_Scope

Arcadeguy's great page about it:
http://www.arcadeguy.com/radarscope/
(although I disagree with a few tidbits of it)

I guess I was thinking of something else when I said that there was another red cabinet game of that same design. I think now I was making more of a relationship to design time frame and the distinguishing differences between an early red Radarscope cabinet and a later red Donkey Kong cabinet. I'm almost certain, in my opinion, that some of the early Radarscopes were defineately converted to a DK after previously being a Radarscope. There were also some DK's put out in Radar Scope cabinets that were never actually completed as being a Radar Scope game when it was realized that Radar Scope was failing in the market, so they were never completed and then turned into DK's. But I also think that there were red DK's put out shortly after DK became a hit in the red cabinet from the same assembly line as the Radar Scope but they were never intended to be Radar Scope's....they were indeed the first of the dedicated DK's. I say this due to the slight design differences you'll see in the "early" cabinets versus the "later" ones. (refer back to line one of this paragraph)
The "early" ones were red... duh.... had only five slots on the speaker grill.....and only one coin mech.
The "later" ones were also red.... have seven slots on the speaker grill.....and have two coin mechs. (I think the second one was added to decrease maintenance requirements from coin jam problems, having a "backup" coin mech for customers to use)
You'll notice that HeliFire and Space Firebird were both made in the same year as Radar Scope and also carry the same characteristics as the "early" design. I know they are not exactly the same, just note the similarities between them in design.

1980 Radarscope
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&id=856&image=2

1980 Helifire
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&id=501&image=1

1980 Space Firebird
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&id=1023&image=2

Now here's a couple showing what I consider the "later" design.
(and also what we pretty much see from then on on all Nintendo cabs of that design)

Newer Red DK 1
http://www.classicarcadeonline.com/donkeykong_8.html

Newer Red DK 2
http://www.atarifreak.com/donkey%20kong.html

Ok...... now I hope some of that made sense. I tend to get lost in some of the info myself, and I'm always open to opinions and interpretation by others.

And if you find any metal tags on the back we can also tell you what those mean.
Hopefully they were left on there, most conversions only have the current one on there even though "technically" they should have left all of them on there.

TRS- Radar Scope
TGK- Donkey Kong
TMA- Mario Bros.

On the Mario Bros. note.... the ONLY dedicated Mario Bros. cabient was the black wide-body with the speaker grill in the middle. Any others that you find are all conversions.

:dizzy: Did I miss anything??   ;D

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:30 pm »
Yup... I missed something..... ;)

The earlier DK four board pcb's had two different wiring harness pin styles.
One is considered the "classic" pin style and the other is considered the smaller "Radar Scope" pin style.
I consider the Radar Scope style the "early" style and the classic style the "later" style.
So if you ever come across a red Nintendo cabinet like those that still has the four board DK pcb in it, you can tell if it was originally a Radar Scope by comparing the pin style between a "classic" style and the smaller "Radar Scope" style.

Another reason I think there were red DK's that were NOT originally Radar Scopes.
They later went to the two board game pcb's for DK.
(most likely when the blue cabinet came out I think)

By the way....did I tell you that cabinet looks to be in great shape.... good score.
And I think it was originally a Radar Scope, but looks fabulous as a Mario Bros. as well.
Great classic either way.......
Look forward to seeing more of it and digging up it's history.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:14:09 pm by Kevin Mullins »

steveh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:27:04 am »
that system looks bad ass.  hope you can find some nice pcb's to run it .

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »
Kevin, thanks for all that great info, I love it !!!!

Indeed, this cab looks amazing on the pics...

I wonder if I can resist reverting it back to a DK ?  ;)

The Mario artwork is fabulous I think though....

Funny you mention the Sherriff.....there was one for sale in Austria about half a year ago...I really liked the  cab, but the game.....Nahhhh...

Regarding the PCB's: Has anyone played the DK/DKjr/MB 2005 re-release cab ?

(this one: http://www.namcoarcade.com/nai_gamedisplay.asp?gam=dnkykong )

I wonder how they solved the horizontal/vertical problem since both DK's are vertical and Mario Bros is Horizontal obviously.

Would it be an option to run this board in this cab ? And would there be any chance of getting such a board ? I've seen some of those Namco boards on ebay but I don't think I remember seeing this one ?

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »
It runs a 25" monitor...I bet they run it horizontally and then you get the vertical games on the horizontal monitor smaller with black on each side.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 04:40:52 pm »
OK, but the original DK cab uses a 19" monitor right ? So then the vertical games would be very small....

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:41 pm »
No. A vertical game that was originally 19" would look about the same on a 25" with black bars on either side. Mario Bros however, would look huge compared to the original.
NO MORE!!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 01:27:33 am »
No. A vertical game that was originally 19" would look about the same on a 25" with black bars on either side. Mario Bros however, would look huge compared to the original.

Yeah, I think I didn't clearly wrote what I meant: I assume that the original monitor is still in this cab. This is 19" right ? (The vertical monitor was turned for Mario Bros, there were parts in the Mario Bros Pak to do this). So suppose if I would run the new three-in-one original Namco PCB of 2005 on it, then Mario Bros would look normal but the DK games would be way too small because of the side bars....unless they did some stretching or anything, but I'd hate that.

And those boards are hard to get and pretty expensive I guess.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:29:05 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »
Hey, when I re-read the information here: http://www.classicarcadeonline.com/donkeykong_8.html
it is mentions this:
_____
The Double Donkey Kong and high score save upgrade will be installed in here shortly.

Also, it is capable of playing several other Nintendo games. It can play Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong 3. It can also play Popeye and Mario Bros if you rotate the monitor. It also plays VS. games like Super Mario Bros and Excitebike.
______

Now, this is very interesting. I would love to be able to play Popeye on this as well, and if possible I can turn the monitor and play the DK games....

So my question is: How does he mean that it also plays these games ? I haven't seen any combo board like that ?

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 04:09:53 pm »
i would assume you would have to swap the boards.  or maybe they make a switcher. 

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 07:10:52 pm »
So my question is: How does he mean that it also plays these games ? I haven't seen any combo board like that ?

He was just referencing different games that were designed as kits, etc that would plug into and be playable on that wiring harness. It's not an all in one board or anything like that. They usually had a seperate set of brackets that came with these kits that were used to rotate/re-mount the monitor if needed for the horizontal games. (like if going from a Donkey Kong to a Mario Bros.)

Nintendo did alot of thinking when it came to making these cabinets "universal" and designed alot of their kits around the fact that so many of these cabinets were already out there. (easier to market and sell a kit than it is a whole new machine)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »
Ahhh, I thought so already.....what a shame. Would be great to have an "all in one" board like that.

There's been a small delay in picking this baby up.....tomorrow I have arranged a van and I will go get it. Watch for pictures here !!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 09:30:08 am »
YESSSSSSSSSSSS !! It's safe and sound in my home. Left this morning to pic it up. About 1 1/4 hours driving, no problem :)

However, I feared that this cab would not fit in my own car because of it's depth.(Heigth isn't the issue really.) Also, it's a pain to load (and unload) it in my stationwagen, so I asked a friend if I could borrow his Peugeot Partner for a morning, and he said no problem :D

1st: Ready for take-off....
2nd: At the seller's.....hah, "Brand new, still in shrink-wrap" .......well almost, but not completely ;)
3rd: Yeah, it fits perfectly in the car and was a breeze to load ! (My "helper" is my son Mark) The bottom of the cab looks great, no water damage.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 09:34:36 am »
1st: Mario and Luigi, ready for the trip !
2nd: And it's at it's new home !
3rd: My wife said, let the shrink-wrap on, good protection until you can start working on it (until I finished the Galaxian).....of course she was right but it's like giving a gift to a kid and telling him to not unwrap it just yet.....pointles :D :D
So I un-shrink-wrapped it and............OH MY GOD !!!! THIS LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW !!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:05:57 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 09:38:09 am »
REMEMBER, these pictures are all straight out-of the shrink-wrap, NO CLEANING DONE YET !

1st: Left side, also here NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH or any other thing....I LOVE IT !
2nd: Sorry, he insisted ;)
3rd: Marquee: M-I-N-T

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 09:42:07 am »
1st: Bezel: M-I-N-T !   BUT LOOK AT THE MONITOR  !!!! IT'S IN VERTICAL  POSITION !?!?!?!!?!? I do pray they installed bolts on the side BEFORE putting ont the side-artwork....else we have a problem Houston...

2nd: CP. So Is this cab all Hallalujah ? Naaahhhh, that would be impossible. First the CP is not bad,, bot not mint either. It has seen some play.

3rd: Another reason for hating smoking: Cigarette burns  :angry: :angry:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:42 am »
1st and 2nd: What a shame ! The seller told me the previous owner has caused this damage by "smacking" the cab in between other things......... :cry:
O well, there's no real fun in it if I wouldn't have to restore anything.....this will need some filling and painting....

3rd: Coindoor. Some rust, and a bit dented but not too bad.

Loki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2012, 08:00:32 am
    • Deathnote
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 09:48:35 am »
Congrats! That's an awesome looking cab!! O.o
How does it look inside?

Ouch... to bad about the cigarette burns :(
Don't eat yellow snow.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 09:56:58 am »
1st: Backside.......darn no key !!! Gotta drill out this one, and it's a nasty job.....

2nd and 3rd: OK and here's something VERY interesting: YES, this cab has first been a Radar Scope. The model nr. says: TRS

But what's REALLY interesting is the little "Made in Japan"......soooooo this baby comes tstraight from the land of the Rising Sun and not from the US........I like that :) (Straight from the source :D )

Model: TRS-UP-UK ........RS=Radar Scope, I guess UP means Upright (there were also cocktail and cockpit (!) versions of Radar Scope) and the UK stands for.......United Kingdom. The 240VAC is also very clearly pointing to the UK. The seller told me this cab is indeed coming from the UK. Not much more info though....

Serial No: B01520

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 10:00:11 am »
Congrats! That's an awesome looking cab!! O.o
How does it look inside?

Ouch... to bad about the cigarette burns :(
Thanks, still uploading pics as you read this ;) Well....a new CP overlay is readily available :D

More pics:

1st: Counter, looks like new......
2nd: coin-mech, looks like new (on the inside)
3rd: this was at the place where the coin-box should be.....it's a power supply as AFAIK.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 10:02:10 am »
1st and 2nd: Inside shots from the coin-door: Looks like ANOTHER power supply on the left side.....on the right....the missing PCB  :cry: but I knew this already....

3rd:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 10:03:25 am »
Some very quick cleaning:

If you forgive me,  I will now go and drill-out that lock on the back..... :D

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 12:19:15 pm »
So... are you going to be converting this back to Radar Scope?

;D
NO MORE!!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 12:53:27 pm »
So... are you going to be converting this back to Radar Scope?

;D
Whoahahahahaha.....what do you think ?

IF (and it's a big IF) I will ever convert it (back) it will be to a Kong of course.....             

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 01:22:34 am »
Personally I have always wanted to build a Mario Bros. and mentally I have always thought it would look best in a red cabinet........ TADA !!......sure enough it really does look good in that cab.
Keep it as is.
DK's can be found easy enough.
Radar Scope just ain't worth the hassle to round up the parts for.
(my opinion of course) :cheers:

Great history find for sure though.
Hard to find a red one that has been converted over at least twice now and still have the TRS tag on it.  :applaud:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 05:37:24 am »
Thanks Kevin !

I love the cab as it is, the Mario Bros. art is simply great both in design and shape. (I think the cutenes factor was something that Nintendo has always been strong in. Atari f.i. failed in that part, they made great games, but they never had a "hero" that players could relate too.....drifting off ;) )

Did you also notice some color differences on the side-art ? Mario's blue outfit seems to be a little bit lighter than I've seen on other pics on the internet......could be that the repro's are a bit off of course.....I "think" the side-art on this one are originals, but how can I know for sure ? I have also tried feeling if there is some other artwork under the Mario Bros. but there doesn't seem to be anything so it's probably been removed.

I think the biggest mystery is why the monitor is (back ?) in it's vertical position. I haven't investigated so far if the parts for putting it horizontal have been installed. That monitor is built in a pretty riggid frame...gotta study the Mario Bras Pak instructions on how that was done...

Radar Scope is out of the question for me. Besides finding the parts, this would be nice to do if it would be my 6th or so cab of this shape, but it isn't.
You say "DK's can be found easy enough". That may  be true in the US, but here in Europe it's a LOT different. I can tell you that I don't even remember seeing a dedicated Donkey Kong here in the 80s. I played Crazy Kong lots of times though, but of course these were in generic cabs. I did play a lot of DKjr and I think that one (at a movie theatre) was an original, but again not 100% sure....

Anyway, they are very rare here, just like most classics. I think if I would re-convert it to a Kong (and do a restoration) it would be worth quite a bit here....especialy since it's red.

Hah, yeah that TRS-tag is great....I hadn't expected that this one would have come from Japan though.

I checked out the CP yesterday, and there's some broken microswiches for sure. I also saw that the joysticks are limited by a 2-way restrictor plate (and of course there are no up-down microswitches), but I guess it could be made into 4 (or even 8) ways. I've checked around, and the only Mario Bros. PCB I found so far is at Mikesarcade.com and it's a whopping $140,-
I'd thought the CPO would be available  as weel, but all I can find is the version for the wide-body, not for the conversion-kit :(

I'm in no rush though, I first have to get the Galaxian ready, so I can look around for some time. If I fail to find one, I might be putting an old PC in it running Mame. Or one of these 1000 in 1 boards ? I'd love to be able to play DK(jr) and Popeye as well on this cab...even if it needs monitor rotation

By the way, it turned out the lock was not locked and I could pry the back open ....here's some pics:

1st: back open, there's the 2nd power supply....
2nd: Yep, it's the original Sanyo monitor alright

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 05:40:29 am »
Some more inside pics....lots of wires and small connectors....

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 01:37:17 pm »
I'm wondering if the conversion to Mario Bros. was ever completed. (?)
The wiring harness is super clean compared to the rest of the original inside stuff.
The Radarscope/DK harness would be different from the Mario Bros.
You might have some "extra" stuff in there as well.
What kind of edge connectors can you find in there?

And that might also explain why the monitor is still vertically mounted.
Are there any extra holes in the sides of the cabinet around the monitor mounting holes?
The conversion from vertical to horizontal always required some new holes.
So maybe it was never mounted horizontally.

It does appear to have the Sanyo 20EZ.

But a good cleaning would be in order to sort things out a bit further on the wiring.

Could be interesting.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:39:05 pm by Kevin Mullins »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 03:51:21 pm »
Kevin, you're right. This conversion was never completed. There are no extra holes in the sides....No brackets for horizontal positioning of the monitor. The whole monitor fixing looks like a puzzle to me though....a huge "wood" case around the monitor...I don't know where to start to remove it....it looks very different from the metal "framed" monitors I've seen on pictures on Kong machines.....maybe this was a Radar Scope "feature" ?

MAYBE this will make it able to put it in horizontal position still ? Will require a LOT of "hacking" though I fear....

Indeed, there are also "spare"  cables. Shouldn't there be at least one big PCB-edge connector ? Didn't find it....

Check out the pics 1st is the top of the "cage" right, mounted into the side panel, 2nd the same on the left.
3rd: The space between the left side of the cab and the "cage" around the monitor.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 03:52:51 pm »
1st and 2nd: "Inside" the "cage".
3rd....whe under side of the cage, mounted into the side panels...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »
1st: geeeeeezzz, some nice "fixing" of the light  :banghead:  That bulb has been burning a really black spot in the wood....and what is that metal shield lying about there ? Could have easily scratched the marquee...luckely it didn't !

2nd: bezel removed....yep looks vertical to me  :dizzy:

3rd: UK Mains plug still attatched...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:10:48 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 03:58:08 pm »
Wiring harness, fixed inside the cab..

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 04:01:09 pm »
1st: Power sockets for monitor and marquee TL fixture I guess...(100 Volts ?)

2nd: flatcable going to monitor......cut, but I can fix this, got those connectors and pins at work :D

3rd: The "Spare" cables....3 of them :D

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 10:35:53 pm »
Wow...interesting for sure.
I'd bet that's the original monitor setup for Radar Scope still.
The back angle it has seems a bit steep from most I've seen as any other game.
(could be wrong on that though)
I've never seen one boxed in like that before.
I recognize the one flat board going across the back towards the bottom of the monitor, but that's it. (looks like a cross brace for the cab sides)
Does the black piece on around the front of the monitor come off easily?
One of your pics makes me curious if it has a universal cabability.(vertical or horizontal)
Can you get any more pics of the monitor chassis without dismantling the box around it or removing that cross brace?

The cut ribbon cable is defineately for the video signal input.
The DK's and beyong also had video inverter boards that the signal from the game pcb went into and then from there it went to the monitor. But I don't know if the Radar Scopes had the same inverted color video signal as the rest did. So yours may not even have that piece. (not that the Nintendo games actually used it, it was actually for the NON-Nintendo games)
It probably doesn't have the audio amp either.

The wiring harness connectors look like they are from the Radar Scope era as well.
Those and the early DK boards used several small individual connectors like those where as a Mario Brothers board has an actual edge connector style.

Nice marquee setup.  ;D
I would think the light bulb socket configuration is the original and the flourescent ficture was added.

That outlet in the bottom IS 100v !! and is for the monitor.
Absolutely do NOT use anything else for that monitor.
You should be able to trace it back to the transformer in the bottom of the cab.