Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Stargate Restoration  (Read 2379 times)

Knave Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2015, 01:06:25 am
  • We're all mad here!
Stargate Restoration
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:42 pm »
I started a post for this in projects, and then realized i put it in the wrong spot. :banghead:
Anyway. Picked this up on Ebay for $160.00 advertised as working. Comes up with RAM errors...this is not surprising. There is a bit of damage in the plywood at the bottom and front edges. Normal wear and tear. Someone decided to use yellow T-Molding as some point. It actually looks good with yellow, but I will restore it to black. Does anyone know if Stargate is supposed to use the leather or the regular black T-Molding?

The CPO needs to be replaced, but I think the buttons and JS are in great shape. They just need to be cleaned. I realized while inspecting the cabinet that the plywood is paper faced ply. Could make it interesting to repair. It will also make removing the spray painted 13 from the inside of the cabinet much more difficult. I may just have to completely paint the inside black. I have to replace one of the back door firring strips. Some idiot used the biggest sheet metal screw ever to hold the back door on. I need to put feet on it too. I really want to know where all the missing feet go. I think I have only bought 1 game that came to me with feet.

All the boards except for the CPU board are just perfect. Very little dust. I noticed that three of the ROM's have been replaced. Not sure if I really need to replace them with originals. I dont think its that big a deal. All the board serial numbers match except the CPU. Sadly this is the case with alot of Williams games. Stupid batteries. :censored:

I will post picts as I re-size them. I borrowed (stole) my wifes camera. It takes great picts, they are just huge. I didn't think to check what she had the camera set for, so I am re-sizing them to post here. If you really want to see the full frame versions, just let me know and i can email them too you. I havent set up a photo bucket account yet. Its one of many things on my list to do.

The cap kit for the monitor and sound boards, the 4164 RAM, and the new battery holder will be here tomorrow. I have already replaced all the headers, the ribbon cables and their headers, and I am replacing the connectors on the wiring harness. I am really hoping I dont have to replace any chip sockets. It is just not that fun to do.  :badmood:

I will post more picts as i resize them, and once I have a chance to grab the wifes camera again.

KJ

Knave Jack

• Offline Offline
  • We're all mad here!
Re: Stargate Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:15 pm »
A few more picts. I especially like the shiny headed nails they used to hold the T-Molding down.  :lol

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:52 am »
If you are going to repaint, the stencils are available from gamestencils
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Knave Jack

• Offline Offline
  • We're all mad here!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:34:59 pm »
I have the vector files for the stencils. Big thanks to CheffoJeffo for the link to those. I am going to finish all the work on the boards, monitor, control panel, and the coin doors first before I start the cabinet its self. I am feeling particularly masochistic at the moment and may take the time to make up screens to re print the monitor glass and marquee. Maybe just the monitor glass. Haven't decided yet. I will post some board picts this weekend. The RAM, sound board caps, and monitor caps got here today(thanks to Bob Robert's).
KJ