Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc Arcade VGA2 comparisons using a LCD for PC  (Read 42127 times)

esaelectrionics

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2013, 01:05:50 pm
Re: Ultimarc Arcade VGA2 comparisons using a LCD for PC
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2007, 05:38:40 pm »
This thread is very funny indeed

:notworthy:

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2007, 02:31:17 pm »
WOW!  This is one of the most heated debates I've ***EVER*** seen on this forum!

For once, I'm glad the moderators didn't close this thread early, but rather all the involved parties sorted out their differences. 

genesim:  I'm glad you like your LCD setup and ArcadeVGA card.  But just because it makes you 100% satisfied, it doesn't mean it's the solution for everyone.

I too have an ArcadeVGA card (Actually, it's the first generation one.  I purchased it when it was first announced).  But unlike you, I got it connected to a real arcade monitor.  I know my picture isn't as sharp as yours, and I know the colors aren't as vivid.  Yes, I do have some burn marks, and shadows, and the 20 year old monitor makes a funky buzzing sound, and I got scan lines all over the picture.  But you know what, that's EXACTLY what I wanted!!!  It's exactly the same way as I remember it back when I was a kid.

I guess the point is, to each their own.  Some people want perfect sharpness and color (like you) and others want it to be as true to the original experience as possible (scan lines, buzzing round tubes that aren't as sharp at the corners, etc.)  I guess some people want to hide the fact that it's a PC!  (why else would they go to such extends in making their coin mechs work, and bring 20 year monitors back from the dead???)

When it comes to a discussion of tastes, no one wins at the end.

Enjoy your setup!

genesim

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2010, 08:18:42 pm
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2007, 02:53:47 am »
Recently I got the Arcade VGA PCI Express upgrade.

I have been having problems with the Vista drivers, but I will update when that is sorted out.

As for the rest, I never fault someone for a preference...just like I hope others wouldn't for me.    My point from the very first page was to show the differences between what the card can do on an LCD versus not having one.   The old Arcade VGA didn't adhere to the people who want the resolutions with current PC monitors.  I have liked the results tremendously...now if I could just get the *&%$#@%#$ Open GL to work with Doom 3, I will be set.

An LCD is far from "arcade perfect" because of a smaller dot pitch and the absence of scanlines....or in your case..burn marks.  8)   Still, you can't blame a person for wanting the best of both worlds.   High resolution gaming is really not such a bad thing.   Seeing the new Mortal Kombat Armegeddon in HD is breathtaking.    Using arcade controls with it is icing on the cake.

But still, its all cool.   Just remember...they are all PC's in the end.  ;D   They were just more primitive back then...and uh not so "personal".

JoeB thanks for the kind words and good luck with your setup as well.

genesim

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2010, 08:18:42 pm
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2007, 06:57:21 pm »
Just a small update.    Got the drivers working on the PCI Express version with Windows Vista.

It took a download from the Official site and then when I reinstalled the beta vista drivers from the Ultimarc site it worked fine with Doom 3.

The end result is that it is a nice midrange card that produces great effect for the people that want an interpretation of the original arcade resolution on a PC monitor.

As I have said many times before, the card is wonderful and I have no regrets.

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2007, 05:16:45 pm »

I can't believe I read this entire thread... 

I read the first part on my LCD displays:

I then read the second part of the posts on my cabinet's CRT:

I have to say that I felt like I had a more authentic experience reading the posts on my CRT.  It's as if I knew what the writers meant when they flamed each other back and forth.  Don't get me wrong, I mean, the writers knew full well the limitations of arguing in a turn based manner using letters and pictures.  But I bet if they had the technology, it would have been in the octagon and in real time.

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Patent Doc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2021, 12:07:33 pm
  • My wife says I'm the fastest man alive :(
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2007, 06:12:50 pm »
 :laugh2: Now that was funny.

:cheers:

you are a smart --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- of great caliber....I salute you

Patent Doc

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2007, 01:03:28 am »

you are a smart --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- of great caliber....I salute you

Patent Doc

I aim to please.    :blah:

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2007, 01:47:33 pm »

Patent Doc

I aim to please.    :blah:

unfortunately this thread is back up top. Hilarious joke but lets allow this thread to fade away  :woot

BTW love the LCD set up /rice
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.