Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: controling PC  (Read 2902 times)

Karaokedude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2007, 12:21:00 pm
controling PC
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:22 am »
A bit off subject but not sure where to post but maybe useful anyway

I am in the process of building a standalone wincab unit and have a few ideas but not sure on feasability.

in order to update the software and add new CDs or songs I was going to use a network cable and setup a direct PC to PC network

to control the PC there is a very good piece of software called VNC
which basically is remote access software so controling the wincab unit wont need a keyboard or mouse then i can edit any ini files etc etc

what i am wondering is ii could use my laptop to remote to the unit and could use the wireless adapter and add another wireless adapter in the unit by setting up an Ad Hoc Wireless network

Does anyone know if you can mix wireless modes as i dont really want to loose connectivity to my main network it would be no problem if i had to select the Jukebox's network when i wanted to access it

or would i need to put a 2nd wireless adapter in the laptop and configure it indepently

MrD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 04:34:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: controling PC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:23:46 am »
If your jukebox is running Windows, you should be able to se that up on your existing network.  (I'm assuming you have a router or something on a local network wired/wireless).    You should be able to access the drive on your jukebox as a drive on your laptop (f, g or whatever) using windows.   You should also be able to use VNC or Remote Desktop Connection (part of XP, might be XP Pro though) to log on and view the screens and run it remotely. 

You shouldn't have to have 2 different networks to make it work.   At home I have a  router connected to cable internet.  Then wireless in my house 3 other PC/laptops.   There is a printer connected to a desktop.  From the laptop I can print to it, access the desktop harddrive or I could log on to it using Remote Desktop Connection and still connect to the router and the internet. 

So I'd just throw them all on the same network (local) and access it remotely.   You should be able to connect to it by name or by IP.

Karaokedude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:35:45 pm »
same network would be ok at home but i was going to build it and let my father have it
he has no PC or internet that was the reason i wanted to access it from my laptop via wireless but would still want to use the lapotop at home on my network

MrD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 04:34:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
Oh,  now I get it.   Ah hoc  between jukebox-laptop in one location, then laptop somewhere else on a different network.

I still think it would work. 

Karaokedude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:58:24 pm »
Didnt want to go and buy any bits but i suppose a wireless dongle wont be to expensive
so maybe its worth a try if it dosnt work both the laptop and pc have built in Ethernet
so taht will be a final option

Karaokedude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:22:48 pm »
OK Managed to get it working on 2 laptops
so yes it works
you have to disconect from main network manually and then connect to the ADHoc

as the jukebox will only have the ADHoc network isnt really a problem

data encryption is a bit of a pain to setup as for some reason it decides its unsecured even when set

for anyone else thinking off setting it up leave the encryption off and get it working first then add the WEP key after

wincab seems to run fine with VNC although the screen on the remote takes a while to refresh

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:33:22 am »
wincab seems to run fine with VNC although the screen on the remote takes a while to refresh

So you had full keyboard and mouse support while running WinCab from the remote PC?

The las program I tried using for this purpose seemed to work great...except.... it had no keyboard support, so I couldn't do much with Wincab once it started, everything in Windows worked fine though. Chris explained to me a little bit about why it wasn't working, but it was over my head and was more to do with the way the remote controlling software was written, so I had to ditch that effert. (AnyPlace Control I think is what it was called)
I'll have to try VNC out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:36:00 am by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.