Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recess Piano Hinge  (Read 6379 times)

acevedor2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2022, 07:44:45 pm
Recess Piano Hinge
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:07:48 pm »
I am trying to figur out how to recess the paino hinge.  My CP will open forward like most people's.  I have the piano hinge but without it recessed, the top of the CP does not lie flat on top as it should.  The hinge is causing it to stick up.  I figure if I recess the hinge it should work.  I did a seach but all I get is plenty of p[eople saying they recessed the hinge, not exactly how to do it.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, if someone can recommend a different hinge where I wouldn't need a piano hinge that would be great too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 05:13:24 pm by acevedor2 »
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: Recess Piano Hinge
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:27:23 pm »
Not exactly sure what you're trying to do... What's the hinge for? The door for your keyboard tray? Or something else entirely? If something is sticking up too much, why not cut the wood a bit shorter?

FWIW, a router is usually the tool of choice when you need to create a mortise for a hinge. Either that or a very sharp chisel.

European style concealed hinges are generally easier to mount than piano hinges; they don't require mortising.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:30:41 pm »
I was using the piano hinge along the lip of the front edge of the CP to attach the top of the CP to the base (box).  That way when I wanted to open it, it would open forward allowing access to the inside of the CP box.  I would love to use the European Hidden Hinges instead.  Will these still allow the boc to open the way I need?  Thanks for all of the help.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:52:43 pm »
Sounds like you could use either hinge. If you're going to go with the piano hinge, you need to cut the wood that the hinge attaches to a bit shorter than the other pieces. If you do this correctly, everything should line up.

If your box is already put together, you may have trouble getting either type of hinge to work. With a Euro hinge, I think you typically need a little gap between the "door" and the side the hinge is attached to.  The hinge allows you to adjust the gap, but if you make it too small, the door may not have enough room to open. A "zero protrusion" hinge might work around this problem, but I don't know for sure.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45:52 pm »
Ok,   I have decided not to use a piano hinge.  Primarily because I don't want to recess the slot for the piano hinge and the CP is already together.  Lessons learned for the next one I build....  I have looked at a variety of options such as a hidden hinge.  The problem is that my CP lid overhangs the box by about 1.5".  The hidden hinges raise the lid up and because of the overhang, the wood would hit the CP box before it ever could raise...i hope that makes sense.

Any ideas as to a hinge that would be hidden and account for the overhang?  Thanks again.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:36:50 am »
I don't know what else to suggest; I don't have a good enough picture of what you're trying to do to offer any great suggestions. Maybe take a look at Woodworker's Hardware and see if anything in their cabinet hinge department looks like it might work. Maybe their Soss light-duty invisible hinges (SS203 or SS204)? I've never used them but maybe they'll do what you need.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:31:39 am »
I'm kind of favoring these hinges for overall use. :notworthy:

Click on the pic!

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 06:26:02 am »
Those look like they will work great.  I see the CP opens and the lid ends up in front of the box.  What are those called?  Thanks!
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:57:44 am »
Those look like they will work great.  I see the CP opens and the lid ends up in front of the box.  What are those called?  Thanks!

Those are European hinges and need a Forstner bit to recess the one side.  These are very adjustable once installed and allow full hiding of the hinge.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:36:29 pm »

Those are the European hinges I originally suggested. FYI, they're installed backwards in that pic. Normally, the part that's attached to the control panel would be attached to the cabinet, and vice versa. You'll need a 35mm forstner bit, or the closest English equivalent, to drill the hole for the hinge cup. Screws probably need a 5mm or 1/4" bit. From the picture, it's impossible to tell exactly which hinge it is. It's also impossible to tell from that picture how much of a gap there is when the panel is closed...

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 10:05:33 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will go out and get some of them tomorrow.  Do I need a special type of European Hidden hinge to make sure the CP lid opens over the front edge like he has in that picture?  Thanks!
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »
The ones in the picture look pretty standard. I'd suggest getting a "clip" type hinge; the hinge separates from the base making installation easier. Don't be surprised if you buy a standard hinge and end up with a gap!

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:23:08 pm »
Scott,
   What do you mean by "standard type"?  I really don't want a gap, so what kind of European hinge do I need?  Thanks!
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 07:20:09 pm »
I went to the local Home Depot today and none of the European hinges they have will work.  Do you guys have a name for this type of European Hidden Hinge?  Thanks
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2