Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Type of wood to support a tv  (Read 2423 times)

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Type of wood to support a tv
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:16:16 pm »
looking to do something like this

the tv weighs around 50-60lbs though im certain its around 60 but i will check again since the last time i weighed it was a year ago.  i was debating wood vs metal and i figure the wood would be easier for me to work with and be more flexible (not bending but allow more changes).

has anyone here tried something like this?  I measured and it seems i would have to have the crossmember be one inch wide but i can have it be three inches thick which seems like it could work.  i was going to make a test build using something around the weight of the tv and have it suspended off the floor by a few inches and seeing if the crossmember bends at all.  i dont plan on moving the cab around alot just normal movement when in use and if i decide to move it i would remove the monitor.

thanks.

edit-i am using a sony trinitron tv not sure on the model number but i wanted to have the monitor mounted hanging from the wood on top and then use the same bolt to hold the tv case from the bottom so i dont have to remove the circuit board from the case.  though i was thinking of removing the tv speakers since they dont work.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

btp2k2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
Re: Type of wood to support a tv
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:37:29 am »
I mounted a 27" JVC TV in a cabinet using shelves made out of 3/4" MDF with 1x2 support beams running along the front and the back of the bottom, and I also used another beam across the top to provide a little more rigidity as well as something to stop the TV from sliding back....

It's been in the cab for over 2 years and hasn't sagged a bit

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »
You say you used shelves which i cant do in this situation.  the monitor has to hang unless i misunderstood you your setup has the monitor sitting on a piece of wood with supports under it.

i have to have the monitor hanging off the beam.  its for a pac cab im working on that is really a galaga i think.  not sure which way i want to go but first things first is the monitor.

but if i use mdf it might work.  how sturdy is mdf?  silly question ill just drop by lowes and see for myself.

thanks btp2k2
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:42:24 pm »
IMHO sheet wood (MDF, Plywood, particleboard, etc) would not be the stuff to use in this case.  It would sag over time.  You would be better off using solid wood. A normal pine 2x2 or 2x4 board should do the trick but avoid any warped pieces.  If you can afford it go with hardwood boards like oak.  That way you can use a thinner piece without loosing the support and less chance of warpage.

If you really want support without worry go with angle iron or a U channel.  You can drill the holes you need to match the monitor mount holes and then use bolts to connect them.

WaRpEd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:32:24 pm »
Your going to need to brace the underside of shelf or it will sag.
MDF is good for alot of uses but Good plywood is stronger especially when used on it's edge, also takes nails better without spliting.
I would recommend either 3/4 inch plywood for the horizontal brace or 1" by 2" poplar wood and glue the brace to the shelf for strength.
Cheers
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:35:29 pm »
i was going to go with the iron but i figured it wouldnt work out since it would require me to drill new holes so that the crossmembers arent as far apart.  otherwise i would need to add a strip of metal to extend the member out to hang the monitor. hmmm i guess i could drill two holes to mount it.  any idea on thinkness (guessing the thickest they have and i should try to bend it and see).

the side rails are braced already though i do have some metal angled brackets i could use for more support.

thanks guys for the suggestions.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 07:12:50 am »
If you can afford it go with hardwood boards like oak.  That way you can use a thinner piece without loosing the support and less chance of warpage.
I second that.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.