Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: **REVIEW**No longer relevant  (Read 40358 times)

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
**REVIEW**No longer relevant
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:11:06 am »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:06:04 am by Donkey_Kong »
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

fjl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
Re: Turbo Twist 2 REVIEW..It is a BIG HIT!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:55:54 am »
Well you talked more about yourself and your wife than the TT2.  :P

Lots of technical stuff I'd like to know. I have yet to read the other threads on this spinner so I know nothing. Looks like it fits in the same hole size as a regular cab button. Is the interchangeable wheel and dial easy to change? If so, would I have to worry that someone can swipe the wheel? Can it be screwed in so its not easily removed? How does it feel ingame? Do you somehow feel a difference with certain games? Does it spin smoothly? Will it be able to take a good beating and still come out holding strong? How's the response? And how does it differ from some of the other spinners out there? Was it shipped quickly? Did you have any problems setting it up? Connecting it?

Come on dude, give us ANSWERS and a more THOROUGH review!  :blah:

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:16:08 am »
See Above...Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:28:14 am by Donkey_Kong »
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:18:18 am »
would I have to worry that someone can swipe the wheel?

These kinds of people aren't allowed in my house in the first place.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:22:00 am »
I'm hoping to help start an arcadian female revolution here with this. Hopefully you will understand that.

Good luck with that! If anything can do it - it's the spinner or trackball. The only games the girls wanted to play at my house is Puzz Loop. 1 button and a spinner.

I thought it was a good review. The kind of review I like to read, without all the technical chat. All the technical chat was done in Andys product announcement.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:30:05 am »
Q:  Is the interchangeable wheel and dial easy to change?
A:Takes seconds. The wheel for example is secured by it's own weight and is removed by simply lifting up. The Token knob can just be laid in place like the wheel or you have the option to tighten it down to adjust resistance. It is also very quick and easy.

No actually I was wondering if the knob itself can be tightened a with a screw to prevent it from being removed. And not that I invite people who will want to steal it but when kids play with it, you just know they'll end up taking it off and rolling it somewhere, allowing it to get lost or something.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:33:31 am »
Q:  Is the interchangeable wheel and dial easy to change?
A:Takes seconds. The wheel for example is secured by it's own weight and is removed by simply lifting up. The Token knob can just be laid in place like the wheel or you have the option to tighten it down to adjust resistance. It is also very quick and easy.

No actually I was wondering if the knob itself can be tightened a with a screw to prevent it from being removed. And not that I invite people who will want to steal it but when kids play with it, you just know they'll end up taking it off and rolling it somewhere, allowing it to get lost or something.

The original product announcement has a ton of information. RAndy clearly states that the steering wheel is more of a add-on and nothing like a arcade quality steering wheel - from a durability standpoint.

R added by moderator.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:09:23 pm by JustMichael »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:12:31 am »
Very nice DK.  Glad you and Melissa are enjoying it and the kind words are much appreciated.

I thought it was a good review. The kind of review I like to read, without all the technical chat. All the technical chat was done in Andys product announcement.

Err...That "Andy" needs an "R" in front of it ;)

RandyT

Naru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2007, 12:01:34 am
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:53:01 am »
If you could please answer this question.
What are the dimensions of the mini racer wheel?

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:06:12 am »
If you could please answer this question.
What are the dimensions of the mini racer wheel?

Naru- The Mini Racer Wheel I believe has a 5" Diameter. It is very heavy and durable. It is sexy. Also, why do I get the feeling that the girl in your avatar wouldn't mind playing with our spinners also?  :dunno

EVERYONE ELSE:  7 pages of technical Q  &  A  on the spinner here in the original product announcement...

Naru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00:22 pm »
Thanks Donkey_Kong!
It may just fit on my Control panel
if I'm smart enough to set up everything right.
Sexy is most definitely a plus.

Melissa Jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2012, 01:03:10 pm
    • Nice Carvings
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 09:39:25 pm »
sorry guys, i'm sure you all thought i was really into games since i carve a lot arcade characters out of wood. i guess i'm more into wood than games. ;) but i did try a racing game the other day and as you can see from the pictures i had a smile on my face. i was actually laughing at myself and my inability to drive around a track without crashing and going the wrong way. i dont know who gave me a drivers license but if you see me on the road you should be scared!! anyways i did have fun and i'm sure i will play more once jason gets timbercade done. i do like driving games (must be a girly thing) so i am glad jason got a steering wheel for his arcade game.
Check out my new website... www.nicecarvings.com

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:56 am »
lol, u said "wood."  :laugh:

I got one more question, how does this thing connect? PS2? USB? Opti-pac?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:38:35 am »
Thanks for the review.

I guess I'm really just finding it smaller than I expected.  The knob looks just a tad bigger than a button.  Also, it was good to have some perspective in the photos, hands vs. the spinner, so thanks to you and Melissa. 

I even think the racer wheel is small enough to work in my bartop spinner.

I want two.

Cheers,
KenToad

P.S. The spinner was also the only arcade control that I could get my wife to touch.  Puzz Loop is definitely a hit with the ladies in this house.

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 10:29:27 am »
Beautiful family store :applaud:

I see that I must always buy parts for test :D

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
Someone answer my question...  :hissy: :'(

Naru

• Offline Offline
Someone answer my question...  :hissy: :'(

You can choose USB or PS/2

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
Which should you choose?  Is PS/2 less hassle (it seems as if everything USB has some connectivity problem sometime(for me at least))?  Does PS/2 provide less resolution?  Any other pros/cons of each interface?

Thanks,
Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
You can only have one PS/2 mouse connected at a time and it must be connected prior to the PC being powered up.  USB is hot swappable, meaning that you don't need to power down the PC to swap the mouse device.  USB also allows multiple mice and other devices to be connected at the same time.

One thing to check on your USB problems is if the USB device works better on a direct connection to the PC motherboard than connected to a USB hub.  If you don't have enough USB connections on your motherboard you can get USB cards that plug into the expansion slots.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
I mentioned this in my project post since it'll be a part of my cab. I received my TT2 about a week ago. Haven't had a chance to connect it up yet, but the look, the feel and the weight are perfect. I purchased a Tornado spinner the last time around and I would give this spinner the advantage due to it's quality, compactness and look without thinking twice about it. Slikstik, it's time to up the Ante. Great job Randy and GGG.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:02:00 pm by (+_+) »
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
I have read though this post and someone has asked over and over and over and I don't think i saw a response...

If you wanted to...for whatever reason (kids, scum bag friends,  dog who likes to chew on steering wheels, etc),  LOCK DOWN the steering wheel?!?  Is there an OPTION to screw the wheel to the post?   If not,  does it look simple to modify to ADD such a device?

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
I have read though this post and someone has asked over and over and over and I don't think i saw a response...

If you wanted to...for whatever reason (kids, scum bag friends,  dog who likes to chew on steering wheels, etc),  LOCK DOWN the steering wheel?!?  Is there an OPTION to screw the wheel to the post?   If not,  does it look simple to modify to ADD such a device?

I wouldn't do this unless you wanted to keep the wheel on permanently.  Otherwise you would need to take steps to make sure that a set-screw arrangement did not de-form the surface of the shaft and make it impossible to remove or re-attach the wheel or knob.

However, it one really wanted to, they could drill and tap one or more set-screw holes into the steel wheel base to affix it to the shaft of the TT2.

RandyT

skim36

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2015, 03:37:21 pm
  • "Where's the nearest restroom?"
Been looking for a good spinner....thanx

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
Randy,

Turbotwist2 Spinner
====================

This looks like an AWESOME spinner, and I am planning to order one (along with the Big Blue knob and Mini-Racer Steering Wheel).

Regarding the knob style, I know you've released your TokenTop knob, but I prefer the look of your Big Blue knob, so would rather go for that.  Do you have the customised Big Blue knob with the "Space Invaders" alien decal ... I saw this on another thread, but it's not available on your web store.  Is that decal etched on permanently, or is a sticker that will deteriorate or peel off over time ??

As long as I don't intend on playing too much Tempest, are there any other games that would suffer from NOT having the Energy Storage Cylinder ??  As far as I'm aware, I don't need the ESC, but I'd appreciate your advice.

The main games I'm initially looking to play with the spinner are Arkanoid (with the Big Blue knob) and Super Sprint (with the Mini-Racer Steering Wheel).

D_K : Thanks for posting your GREAT review on the TT2 spinner ... and thanks to your wife Melissa for all the playtesting in your pics, and it just so happens she's playing the games I'm most interested in playing with the spinner.  Geez, you're lucky mate, I wish my wife was into games.  Do you have the ESC, out of interest ??

Your new joystick with VirtualAnalog
=====================================

Do you have any news about your new joystick with the VirtualAnalog feature ??

When do you expect this to come to market ??

Will this be replacing your 49-way sticks with the GP-Wiz 49 interface ??

Will it rival the U360 from Ultimarc, or are they totally different beasts ??  I'm not trying to start a "war of words" between yourself and Andy from Ultimarc, as the U360 certainly seems like a revolutionary product.  I just need some info. as to  whether I should order the U360, or "hang out" and wait for your new stick.

My Control Panel usage
=======================

I'm a newbie.

I've dabbled with MAME to a small extent over time, but have only ever played the games with the keyboard (which just ain't the same).

I've just "taken the plunge" and invested in an X-Arcade Tankstick controller ... OK, so I haven't yet been game enough to build my own controller, but it sure leaves the keyboard for dead.

But the Tankstick lacks the spinner, and doesn't have any seamless way to play "non 8 way" games (eg, 4 way/Q*Bert/49 way/Analog), so I'm planning to customise it by replacing the joysticks, and adding a spinner to it.

Failing this, I may decide to build a second customised CP with these controls.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Regarding the knob style, I know you've released your TokenTop knob, but I prefer the look of your Big Blue knob, so would rather go for that.  Do you have the customised Big Blue knob with the "Space Invaders" alien decal ... I saw this on another thread, but it's not available on your web store.  Is that decal etched on permanently, or is a sticker that will deteriorate or peel off over time ??

It is a sticker.  I hope to be doing something on that front in a bit, but I'm on the joystick project at the moment.  I'm also looking at different possibilities for designs and haven't decided on anything in particular yet.  But I do have something better planned than plain cut vinyl.

As long as I don't intend on playing too much Tempest, are there any other games that would suffer from NOT having the Energy Storage Cylinder ??  As far as I'm aware, I don't need the ESC, but I'd appreciate your advice.  The main games I'm initially looking to play with the spinner are Arkanoid (with the Big Blue knob) and Super Sprint (with the Mini-Racer Steering Wheel).

If you really don't care about games that might need the control to continue to rotate a bit when you let go of it, then no, you do need the ESC.  The Wheel has plenty of weight and will spin a long time.

Your new joystick with VirtualAnalog
=====================================

Do you have any news about your new joystick with the VirtualAnalog feature ??

I'll have a release notice coming on this subject shortly.  The only thing I can tell you is that it's a user-tweakable setting that will intelligently generate data for much more than the actual 49 joystick positions.  It is designed to enhance the playability of a number of analog games.

When do you expect this to come to market ??

When I'm sure it's the best it can be ;)

Will this be replacing your 49-way sticks with the GP-Wiz 49 interface ??

The original interface will continue to be offered in some form.  It may get some new features and modes however.

I just need some info. as to  whether I should order the U360, or "hang out" and wait for your new stick.

I can't answer this question.  The only thing I can say is that individuals should evaluate their own needs and keep in mind the fact that what makes a good joystick is not decided by a laundry list of "features", rather how well it feels and performs for a specific individual using it.  I can only tell you that I personally would not trade the new 49-ways, with the modifications I designed, for any other sticks bar none.  For me, the rubber grommet centering as used on original arcade sticks, provides a positive feel that can't be produced by any other means.  The DRS modes and flexibility of the new interface completes the experience.  The new interface also adds excellent playability to several games that had very poor options before, as well as a never before seen feature I developed that might be a little tricky to get the hang of, but will be quite powerful when you do.

But the Tankstick lacks the spinner, and doesn't have any seamless way to play "non 8 way" games (eg, 4 way/Q*Bert/49 way/Analog), so I'm planning to customise it by replacing the joysticks, and adding a spinner to it.

Failing this, I may decide to build a second customised CP with these controls.

49-ways have a deeper footprint so you will need to take measurements of your panel before you make your decision..  The spinner is so small, to say that it is a non-issue in this regard would be a gross understatement :)

RandyT
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 12:03:15 pm by RandyT »

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
Randy,

Apart from your innovative and quality products, I can see you have a reputation for helpfulness and customer service, unlike some in the industry, and that's very important to prospective customers.

I'm sold on the TurboTwist 2 spinner and accessories (maybe even 2 of them for head-to-head contests in Super Sprint).

Although I'll be holding off my order until your new sticks come to market ... it'll minimise shipping costs by bundling everything into the one order, and I have a gut feeling I'll like the look of your sticks, and may decide to order a couple of them.

I saw it mentioned that your new sticks will include a rotary (Ikari warriors) option ... it just gets better.

A couple more questions about the TT2 spinner (no rush to answer) ...

The accessories I have in mind for the TT2 are the Big Blue knob and "Mini Racer Steering Wheel".

* Given Tempest requires a control with added weight, would it be playable with the steering wheel ... I realise this control is far from "arcade authentic" for this game, but would the game be playable with this control nonetheless ??

* If I ordered the Flywheel (ESC cylinder) to use with the Big Blue knob, would this make Arkanoid or DOH unplayable unless the flywheel was removed ??

* With the flywheel in place, would it be "too much weight" when used in conjunction with the steering wheel for driving games (eg, Super Sprint), or is the steering wheel unaffected by the presence (or absence) of the flywheel ??

* Another option, I guess, would be for me to order the TokenTop knob in addition to the Big Blue knob and Steering Wheel ... although this option comes at additional expense.  I could then use the TokenTop knob for Tempest (or any other spinner game that requires weight), the steering wheel for driving games, and the Big Blue knob for Arkanoid and DOH (or any other spinner game that doesn't require weight) :

I realise the whole purpose of the TokenTop knob is that it's a "one size fits all" solution with no other knobs required ... but I prefer the look of the Big Blue knob, so I guess there's nothing to stop me (apart from the cost consideration) from ordering BOTH knobs ... this would allow me the option of using the TokenTop knob where weight is required (easier than opening up the Control Panel to add or remove a flywheel).

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
You would be much better off playing Tempest with just Big Blue than with the wheel,   added weight or not.  The weight simply sits at the bottom of the spinner (under the panel of course).  It adds a bit of weight to the "feel" of the spinner and allows it to freely spin a few extra rotations.   Remove the weight and the spinner is still a spinner,  just "feels" lighter.   Tempest will play FINE without the weight,  just not quite arcade authentic,  and you won't be able to do the multiple spin that most of us like to do after a level is complete.

I,  for one,  use the weight...I like the feel of it...even in Arkanoid and DoH...but I really don't play a whole lot of either,  I am more a Tempest fan.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Although I'll be holding off my order until your new sticks come to market ... it'll minimise shipping costs by bundling everything into the one order, and I have a gut feeling I'll like the look of your sticks, and may decide to order a couple of them.

I saw it mentioned that your new sticks will include a rotary (Ikari warriors) option ... it just gets better.

It's an option and isn't included at the base price of the stick.  But it's nice to have options :)

* Given Tempest requires a control with added weight, would it be playable with the steering wheel ... I realise this control is far from "arcade authentic" for this game, but would the game be playable with this control nonetheless ??

Heh, I agree mostly with what FF stated on this one, but I had to go try it :).  Surprisingly, it did quite well.  Most Tempest players will bounce their fingertips around the perimeter of the knob (Ie, not a lot of "twisting") so it played very similarly.  However, because the diameter is so large, an increase of 1 point in sensitivity helps a bit.

* If I ordered the Flywheel (ESC cylinder) to use with the Big Blue knob, would this make Arkanoid or DOH unplayable unless the flywheel was removed ??

No, not at all.  The ESC was designed not to make it's presence overtly sensed by the user and to get the spinner to spin.  It's always going to be a compromise between those two elements, but I think it works well and those two titles play fine with or without the extra weight.

* With the flywheel in place, would it be "too much weight" when used in conjunction with the steering wheel for driving games (eg, Super Sprint), or is the steering wheel unaffected by the presence (or absence) of the flywheel ??

The wheel has so much of it's own weight that the ESC is undetectable.

I realise the whole purpose of the TokenTop knob is that it's a "one size fits all" solution with no other knobs required ... but I prefer the look of the Big Blue knob, so I guess there's nothing to stop me (apart from the cost consideration) from ordering BOTH knobs ... this would allow me the option of using the TokenTop knob where weight is required (easier than opening up the Control Panel to add or remove a flywheel).

Personally, I far prefer the TokenTop to BigBlue.  While the TokenTop is smaller than the original Arkanoid knob, BigBlue is actually larger by about the same amount.  So I guess it's one of those "pick your poison" scenarios.  The closest to actual size is the "Black Dimple" style knob.

The TokenTop also has the ability to adjust the resistance of the spin to simulate the effect of the gearing on the original Arkanoid control.  I think this is a big plus for fans of those style games.

RandyT

langdoguk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2009, 03:45:23 pm
  • hey you Guys !
Hi there ,would the TT2 work with the minipac easy enough , and would it be easy to set up (beginner here ) ,I've been looking for a spinner and this is the one for me , do I need to buy the Energy Storage Cylinder ( I've never used a spinner with mame).
I'm thinking TT2 , big blue , token ,maybe the Energy Storage Cylinder, and of course the steering wheel , any help  please  :cheers:
Help I'm useless !!!!

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
Hi there ,would the TT2 work with the minipac easy enough , and would it be easy to set up

The TT2 ships with it's own interface and it is included in the price.

I've been looking for a spinner and this is the one for me , do I need to buy the Energy Storage Cylinder

With the token knob, the energy storage cylinder is not necessary as the adjust ability and weight of the token knob essentially perform the tasks of the cylinder & more...A definite perk for choosing the Token Spinner Knob option.

I'm thinking TT2 , big blue , token ,maybe the Energy Storage Cylinder,

I have seen it mentioned that it could be desired to have other knobs even with the token inlaid knobs...I myself am happy with that knob only. My only alternative is the Mini Racer Wheel for playing those steering games in a pinch. I believe the racer wheel is in three sizes now. i have the 5". It is great for space saving but I bet the 7" or 9" would be SWEET as well!!

:cheers:  and Good Luck!

langdoguk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2009, 03:45:23 pm
  • hey you Guys !
Thanks , so it plug's straight into my PC without having to use the minipac .
I think I'll just get the token top and the steering wheel , keep it simple (like me :laugh2:).
cheers  :cheers:
Help I'm useless !!!!

shorthair

Wheel in three sizes?  I haven't been keeping up.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
New Review of the Token Knob by Kevin Steele from Retroblast.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com

I'm not sure why Kevin felt qualified to do a review of the AccuTwist™ feature when he doesn't own a TT2.  The first line of the catalog description for the knob is:

"GroovyGameGear would like to introduce the TokenTop™ Premium Spinner Knob, specially designed to add even more ground-breaking features to the already impressive list of the TurboTwist 2™ spinner."

It doesn't state anything about adding features to any other spinner model than the TT2 which, oddly, wasn't even mentioned.  :dunno

The feel of the "felt" (which is not just simple department store material, mind you) rubbing against a control panel is entirely different than the interaction between it and the precision turned aluminum top of the TT2.  The feature requires a TT2 to work well.

He also poo-poo's the "system" as "just a piece of felt", but I'm guessing he didn't stop to think about other things that allow this to work, like the close tolerances of the bore and the fact that the  thing he tightens inside doesn't ruin the shaft from repeated adjustments. Or, that perhaps the TT2's turned aluminum surface might also be considered a functional component.

Oh well, those who use it every day know the deal, but I thought it was important to respond.  At least he gives it credit for looking good and"not grinding your fingertips off  :cheers:

RandyT

shorthair

I'm not sure why Kevin felt qualified to do a review of the AccuTwist™ feature when he doesn't own a TT2. 
RandyT

This is a reason there are consultants. But Retroblast isn't a commercial enterprise, so this practice may not be in effect.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
This is a reason there are consultants. But Retroblast isn't a commercial enterprise, so this practice may not be in effect.

Actually, they are, but the rest went right over my head.  Could you elaborate on your statement a little?  (sorry, a bit slow today :) )

Thanks,
RandyT
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 05:12:45 pm by RandyT »

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
Randy,

My points are valid, even if you don't care to agree. My point was that this "system" is nothing more than a felt pad. That plus a flat-tipped set pin still doesn't constitute an "on the fly arcade spinner resistance adjustment technology." That's marketing speak if I ever heard it, and not entirely accurate in my opinion ("on the fly?" By using a torx wrench to adjust it?)

Let's see, I give the knob a positive review, yet you start sniping at the one minor negative (not even listed in the "Cons"), even when the review says it's an effective method of adjusting resistance.

You've got a pretty big chip on your shoulder, dude...
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
My points are valid, even if you don't care to agree. My point was that this "system" is nothing more than a felt pad. That plus a flat-tipped set pin still doesn't constitute an "on the fly arcade spinner resistance adjustment technology." That's marketing speak if I ever heard it, and not entirely accurate in my opinion ("on the fly?" By using a torx wrench to adjust it?)

Edited to state that we agree to disagree, as per the norm.  :)

RandyT
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:31:29 pm by RandyT »

shorthair

Actually, they are, but the rest went right over my head.  Could you elaborate on your statement a little?  (sorry, a bit slow today :) )

Thanks,
RandyT

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!

Let's see, I give the knob a positive review, yet you start sniping at the one minor negative (not even listed in the "Cons"), even when the review says it's an effective method of adjusting resistance.

I take it that you mean positive by virtue of it not being overtly negative.  But there was a caveat every time you mentioned something even remotely positive.  You call it "simple" and "overblown", yet there was nothing simple about selecting, or designing the parts that allow it to work.  It's also never been done before.  Simple things are easily implemented and dead obvious.  This was neither as the problem has existed for a long time without any type of solution.  Until now.

You've got a pretty big chip on your shoulder, dude...

My response to this is that I choose not to respond to these types of comments.  What I wrote was in defense of statements in your review, not about you.  Please feel free to defend your statements using logic and your knowledge of engineering principle, as I have attempted to do above.  Personal insults don't help to effectively convey your points.

RandyT

Hey Randy, you didn't reinvent the wheel, you made a speed control for a spinner with felt and a screw.  Was it amazing?  Sure.  Is it worth fighting to the death for over terms?  I don't know.  From an average persons stance, I see nothing wrong with what Kevin is saying.  I would explain it the exact same way he did.  You have a great product and you add a lot of fluff to your advertising, so what?  Let him say his part and leave him alone.  Geez man.