Main > Woodworking

Which wood is best for Laminate?

<< < (2/2)

_Iz-:
I will add we laminate exclusively over industrial particleboard. (I'm a cabinetmaker)

MrTeamWork:
Ok so now I have all my plywood cut out, but it has almost lengthwise red and green spraypaint lines from the woodcutter ( at least they said that at home depot )

If ply won't work good on laminate ( It has pits and some stripped surface ) what sort of paint of enamel can I use to make it at least look good?

Nervous:

--- Quote from: MrTeamWork on April 03, 2003, 05:49:32 pm ---Ok so now I have all my plywood cut out, but it has almost lengthwise red and green spraypaint lines from the woodcutter ( at least they said that at home depot )

If ply won't work good on laminate ( It has pits and some stripped surface ) what sort of paint of enamel can I use to make it at least look good?

--- End quote ---

I think plywood will work with laminate.  I like Formica because it's really thick:  I haven't seen issues with telegraphing, and the voids have never been a problem either.  Another thing that might help: if you get patterned laminate, it might help to hide any telegraphing that does actually happen.  

I can definitely see how one could punch through the laminate if there was a void though; but I'd think you'd have to hit it dead on with enough force to puncture the Formica.  

SNAAAKE:

--- Quote from: MrTeamWork on April 03, 2003, 05:49:32 pm ---Ok so now I have all my plywood cut out, but it has almost lengthwise red and green spraypaint lines from the woodcutter ( at least they said that at home depot )

--- End quote ---

Well ply wood+laminate works great for me..just use a high powered sander and sand the whole thing then use some contact cement for laminate..dont use the other crap adhesive home depot has right where you buy laminate(same section).
I hate that adhesive..its crap..doesnt stick(I might be doin it wrong) but contact cement is the way to go for laminate.. ;)

IF you wanna paint..i suggest you prime you cabinet first then use a good paint roller and use high gloss latex black paint.

That should do it but laminate is still the best ! (personal opinion ;))

_Iz-:

--- End quote ---

Plywood works - if you have it already then use it. Particleboard or MDF are definitely preferred tho...

The laminate will look much better on the plywood than the paint will (unless you put in major effort patching, sanding, priming, painting, sanding, painting)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version