Main > Woodworking

Which wood is best for Laminate?

(1/2) > >>

MrTeamWork:
I have the impression that Plywood is best when using Laminate over partice board and MDF. Can anyone confirm this?

Best in the sense of saving money, strength, quality of the bond between the laminate and the wood..etc..

_Iz-:

--- Quote from: MrTeamWork on April 03, 2003, 01:35:35 pm ---I have the impression that Plywood is best when using Laminate over partice board and MDF. Can anyone confirm this?

Best in the sense of saving money, strength, quality of the bond between the laminate and the wood..etc..

--- End quote ---

MDF and particleboard are preferred over plywood for use as a laminate substrate.

I'd also like to clarify something I've been seeing in other particleboard discussions. There are different grades of particleboard available. Those of you that think particleboard is soft, flaky cheap crap have most likely seen regular particleboard. There is also industrial particleboard. Industrial is much better! Not as dense as MDF but way more durable than the crappy particleboard most of you are seeing. If you can't get industrial particleboard then don't bother with particleboard at all, get MDF instead.

One other note: melamine typically uses industrial particleboard as it's core.

Nervous:
I've had nice results with plywood.  All you are looking for is a uniform surface that will allow the laminate to adhere.  Low grade plywood will have bumps and ripples in the surface, so the laminate might not stick as well...

_Iz-:

--- Quote from: Nervous on April 03, 2003, 03:41:33 pm ---I've had nice results with plywood.  All you are looking for is a uniform surface that will allow the laminate to adhere.  Low grade plywood will have bumps and ripples in the surface, so the laminate might not stick as well...

--- End quote ---

It's generally not so much a problem with the laminate not sticking. It's more that the "bumps and ripples" will telegraph (show up in the surface of the laminate after it's applied). Also, cheap plywood will have voids (both on the surface and in the core) that can case the laminate to crack if it is struck over one.

neuromancer:

--- Quote from: MrTeamWork on April 03, 2003, 01:35:35 pm ---I have the impression that Plywood is best when using Laminate over partice board and MDF. Can anyone confirm this?

--- End quote ---

Laminate kitchen countertops are universally on particle board.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version