Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which wood is best for Laminate?  (Read 6474 times)

MrTeamWork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2003, 04:08:42 pm
  • On a quest to build my cabinet!!
Which wood is best for Laminate?
« on: April 03, 2003, 01:35:35 pm »
I have the impression that Plywood is best when using Laminate over partice board and MDF. Can anyone confirm this?

Best in the sense of saving money, strength, quality of the bond between the laminate and the wood..etc..

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
Re:Which wood is best for Laminate?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 01:50:27 pm »
I have the impression that Plywood is best when using Laminate over partice board and MDF. Can anyone confirm this?

Best in the sense of saving money, strength, quality of the bond between the laminate and the wood..etc..

MDF and particleboard are preferred over plywood for use as a laminate substrate.

I'd also like to clarify something I've been seeing in other particleboard discussions. There are different grades of particleboard available. Those of you that think particleboard is soft, flaky cheap crap have most likely seen regular particleboard. There is also industrial particleboard. Industrial is much better! Not as dense as MDF but way more durable than the crappy particleboard most of you are seeing. If you can't get industrial particleboard then don't bother with particleboard at all, get MDF instead.

One other note: melamine typically uses industrial particleboard as it's core.

Nervous

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 08:48:50 pm
  • * sigh *
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 03:41:33 pm »
I've had nice results with plywood.  All you are looking for is a uniform surface that will allow the laminate to adhere.  Low grade plywood will have bumps and ripples in the surface, so the laminate might not stick as well...

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 03:53:39 pm »
I've had nice results with plywood.  All you are looking for is a uniform surface that will allow the laminate to adhere.  Low grade plywood will have bumps and ripples in the surface, so the laminate might not stick as well...

It's generally not so much a problem with the laminate not sticking. It's more that the "bumps and ripples" will telegraph (show up in the surface of the laminate after it's applied). Also, cheap plywood will have voids (both on the surface and in the core) that can case the laminate to crack if it is struck over one.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 04:29:54 pm »

Laminate kitchen countertops are universally on particle board.

Bob

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 04:33:27 pm »
I will add we laminate exclusively over industrial particleboard. (I'm a cabinetmaker)

MrTeamWork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2003, 04:08:42 pm
  • On a quest to build my cabinet!!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 05:49:32 pm »
Ok so now I have all my plywood cut out, but it has almost lengthwise red and green spraypaint lines from the woodcutter ( at least they said that at home depot )

If ply won't work good on laminate ( It has pits and some stripped surface ) what sort of paint of enamel can I use to make it at least look good?

Nervous

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 08:48:50 pm
  • * sigh *
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 05:55:57 pm »
Ok so now I have all my plywood cut out, but it has almost lengthwise red and green spraypaint lines from the woodcutter ( at least they said that at home depot )

If ply won't work good on laminate ( It has pits and some stripped surface ) what sort of paint of enamel can I use to make it at least look good?

I think plywood will work with laminate.  I like Formica because it's really thick:  I haven't seen issues with telegraphing, and the voids have never been a problem either.  Another thing that might help: if you get patterned laminate, it might help to hide any telegraphing that does actually happen.  

I can definitely see how one could punch through the laminate if there was a void though; but I'd think you'd have to hit it dead on with enough force to puncture the Formica.  

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 05:56:17 pm »

Well ply wood+laminate works great for me..just use a high powered sander and sand the whole thing then use some contact cement for laminate..dont use the other crap adhesive home depot has right where you buy laminate(same section).
I hate that adhesive..its crap..doesnt stick(I might be doin it wrong) but contact cement is the way to go for laminate.. ;)

IF you wanna paint..i suggest you prime you cabinet first then use a good paint roller and use high gloss latex black paint.

That should do it but laminate is still the best ! (personal opinion ;))

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 06:08:19 pm »

Plywood works - if you have it already then use it. Particleboard or MDF are definitely preferred tho...

The laminate will look much better on the plywood than the paint will (unless you put in major effort patching, sanding, priming, painting, sanding, painting)...