Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FLAC support?  (Read 5229 times)

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
FLAC support?
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:24:06 pm »
I see where there is now a flac wrapper available to use under allegro.  I didn't read into it enough to see if it (the calls) uses essentially the same format as the MP3 and OGG wrappers or not.  If so, maybe that would be a not extremely difficult mod to add to the to-do list.  If it uses a different structure, it wouldn't make sense for you to try to kludge it in.
Thanks for looking.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: FLAC support?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:47:05 am »
I saw it too and have already downloaded it but haven't really had a chance to look at it yet.

I have abstracted the access to sound functions so even if the structure is a bit different it won't be a huge deal.  What is a huge deal is that I have no idea how (or if) FLAC's are tagged as I've never used them.

If you have a FLAC or two, or can point me to a couple, that I can test with that would be helpful.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:10:34 pm »
The latest beta version of CDEx supports ripping to FLAC.  That is probably easier than sending you a file.  It is a very stable beta.
CDex is one of those programs that doesn't fill up your machine with stuff when it installs, in fact you can run it from a thumb drive.
FLAC supports tags, but I forgot you scan for tags (if selected) when rebuilding the WinCAB/DOSCab database.  So I guess you'd need a FLAC equivalent of id3lib.  This is sounding like it will be rapidly moving down the to-do list.
My guess is folks would be more excited about wma support than FLAC.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:38 pm »
I could do that (for WinCab at least) if I could find or write an Allegro wrapper for Windows Media Player.  I've tried, but so far I just can't figure it out.  I'm really not a Windows programmer; I can only write Windows programs with Allegro's help.

I know of no WMA libraries for DOS, certainly none that support DRM-protected ones.
--Chris

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:24:29 pm »
I could do that (for WinCab at least) if I could find or write an Allegro wrapper for Windows Media Player.  I've tried, but so far I just can't figure it out.  I'm really not a Windows programmer; I can only write Windows programs with Allegro's help.

I know of no WMA libraries for DOS, certainly none that support DRM-protected ones.

This doesn't affect me since I don't have any wma files.  But I know that it would be a popular feature for others.

I'm getting close to putting together a script to convert my FLAC files to MP3 (keeping the FLAC files around for future conversions if necessary) and anything I learn about headers in the process (that might be useful), I'll pass along.  Just waiting for the kids to go to bed early, my housekeeping chores to be done,  the stars to align, ... :sigh:

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »
I'm getting close to putting together a script to convert my FLAC files to MP3 (keeping the FLAC files around for future conversions if necessary) and anything I learn about headers in the process (that might be useful), I'll pass along.  Just waiting for the kids to go to bed early, my housekeeping chores to be done,  the stars to align, ... :sigh:
I found it.  FLAC uses the same tags as OGG, so no problem with that.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
Hi, Chris.

Just wondering if you made any decision about maybe incorporating FLAC support in any upcoming releases. 

I've decided to start the massive job of re-ripping and archiving my LP collection (and even any 25 year old cassettes that are still marginally listenable) into that format.  With the price of a USB 500gb hard drive now approaching what a case of Maxell CRo2 cassette tapes used to cost, the time has come for me to bite the time bullet and dig them boxes again.   Hopefully for the final time.

Brian

EDIT:  My main beef with MP3's is the stereo imaging.  They sound perfectly acceptable in headphones, especially while doing other activities such as going for a run.  But when I play them through my reasonably decent stereo, they sound dead and seem to have no soundstage, even to my 52 year old ears, compared to the source material.  I'm sure I'll continue to have the mp3 format files for portable use.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:27:42 pm by Dermbrian »

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:05:59 pm »
Just wondering if you made any decision about maybe incorporating FLAC support in any upcoming releases. 
I just released 3.2, so I can start on adding features for 4.0.  I will attempt to add FLAC support for that version.
--Chris