Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midway Arcade Cabinet by Big Electronic Games  (Read 126906 times)

jbserra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 12:03:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Midway Arcade Cabinet by Big Electronic Games
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2021, 11:40:39 am »
So I adopted one of these and was going to replace the monitor but while I was testing it out i pressed the reset button.
once you do that the unit stops working then at a random time minutes or hours later it will start working...

any thoughts?

Has anymore made a ribbon cable to jamma adapter for this?
it seems to be a ton of the still out there lol

Keith

I haven't done it, but the buttons would be pretty easy.  You might have to add a couple for coin, etc.  You might have to swap the monitor if you're going to use VGA, though.  The "monitor" only has RCA inputs.

livingonwheels

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2021, 11:47:44 pm »
I'm now also having that issue where the board won't startup all the time and it takes multiple power cycles to boot.
I've read earlier that replacing C2 (10uf @ 10v) on the board fixed that.
Where is this board located in this machine? Is it in the plastic box that also hold the cartridge? Or is it that green board located under the joysticks?
Pictures from RetroBlast:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:04:26 pm by PL1 »

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2021, 03:26:34 pm »
I'm now also having that issue where the board won't startup all the time and it takes multiple power cycles to boot.
I've read earlier that replacing C2 (10uf @ 10v) on the board fixed that.
Where is this board located in this machine? Is it in the plastic box that also hold the cartridge? Or is it that green board located under the joysticks?
Pictures from RetroBlast:

The circuit board is in the "cartridge" which is the top part of that picture above the blue tv.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:04:53 pm by PL1 »

livingonwheels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2022, 04:28:56 pm »
Has anyone here successfully removed that cartridge in the Midway machine? Doesn't seem to remove from the front of cabinet, so I removed the 4 screws holding it in from the rear of the cab (as shown in the reply above mine). Pulls out perhaps a 1/8 inch, can't get it to budge any further. If I pull any harder I feel I might break it right through the backboard. The front of the cartridge is preventing me from pulling it out from the back due to two "latches" holding it in from the front. Seems like it should just pull out from the front (to insert another cartridge, implied by the "series 1" marking on the cart), obviously no other cartridges were made though. Should I just keep pulling from the front or rear until it comes loose? Could it be inserted that tightly? I wonder if it's actually glued in due to Big Games knowing there would be a further cartridges.
I was encountering  that issue that other owners have had in this topic of having to turn the cabinet on/off a couple times until it successfully booted (you would just hear a buzzing and a non-image on the screen). Was going to replace the C2 as discussed earlier in this thread. But about a year or so ago I just wiggled the cartridge, from the front of the machine, and have had no issues the entire year until yesterday. I figured the cartridge slots might need cleaning, the reason I'd like to pull it out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:53:32 pm by livingonwheels »

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:42 pm »
Has anyone here successfully removed that cartridge in the Midway machine? Doesn't seem to remove from the front of cabinet, so I removed the 4 screws holding it in from the rear of the cab (as shown in the reply above mine). Pulls out perhaps a 1/8 inch, can't get it to budge any further. If I pull any harder I feel I might break it right through the backboard. The front of the cartridge is preventing me from pulling it out from the back due to two "latches" holding it in from the front. Seems like it should just pull out from the front (to insert another cartridge, implied by the "series 1" marking on the cart), obviously no other cartridges were made though. Should I just keep pulling from the front or rear until it comes loose? Could it be inserted that tightly? I wonder if it's actually glued in due to Big Games knowing there would be a further cartridges.
I was encountering  that issue that other owners have had in this topic of having to turn the cabinet on/off a couple times until it successfully booted (you would just hear a buzzing and a non-image on the screen). Was going to replace the C2 as discussed earlier in this thread. But about a year or so ago I just wiggled the cartridge, from the front of the machine, and have had no issues the entire year until yesterday. I figured the cartridge slots might need cleaning, the reason I'd like to pull it out.

The cartridge does NOT pull out.  It is not removable or replaceable without taking it out and taking it apart.  You have to detach it from the back and then it's in an outer shell that has to be unscrewed.  Inside the case it's the "cartridge" with RCAs for AV, a flat ribbon connection to the control panel, and power.  I also feel like there was a clip that held it in place too, but I have mine out because I replaced the bezel.  Hopefully some pictures will help.

The only "cartridge slot" is the ribbon cable/connector for the control panel.  Not sure that would affect boot up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:47:02 pm by jbserra »

livingonwheels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2023, 06:44:17 pm »
For anyone still following this topic, I had made up for me new light-up marquees for both my Konami and Midway cabs. Here's a couple pictures, believe it or not they are lit up in these photos'. They look absolutely gorgeous:

https://postimg.cc/G4b7pQGs
https://postimg.cc/K4LJrV5M
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 06:49:43 pm by livingonwheels »

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2023, 04:15:02 pm »
Those look great!  Do you have the steps/artwork you took to create those?

livingonwheels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2023, 05:20:18 pm »
Those look great!  Do you have the steps/artwork you took to create those?

Angel from "This Ability Upgrades" did these marquees for me. They came to around $70 each (which included the marquee, lightbar, hardware, and shipping). I had sent him my original Big Games marquees from my cabinets so he could make a perfect match. He has my files on record, so if you do decide to have him make them for you, you won't need to send your originals obviously. There are power strips inside these cabinets, so you'll plug them straight into the machine itself, which is great (the cabinets powers the marquees). One of the cabinets has it's power strip enclosed, so to make it easier for yourself, you can just use an outlet adapter (or small extension cord) to divide the single exposed outlet into two. If I remember correctly, I also drilled a small hole to run the marquee's light cords under the cabinet's marquee "base" in the rear of the cabinet. But I'm a perfectionist and you could just use a knife and cut a small upside down "V" on the base to run the cord. Also I preferred to make my own holes in the sides of the marquees during installation. The holes he made didn't line up as closely as I would have preferred. But it's just soft plastic so you can make those holes easily with anything, even a pointy Philipps screwdriver. Because the cabinets were not made with a lightbar in mind, I used black contact paper to block all areas where you will have "light bleed", but electrical tape would probably do just as well. I used the contact paper from the inside of the cabinet, not the outside (so it won't be noticeable). Once you turn off your room lights, and turn the cabinets on, you will see exactly where you need to apply the tape. It took me a few tries to get the correct position for the contact paper, for you need to be exact so you don't block any light from the marquee. It's around 20" from the rear of the cabinet to the marquee itself so you really have to reach. I placed the lightbar 4" from the marquee, on the top. If you decide to get this done, and you need help, just let me know and I'll post pictures of my installation, for I know some of what I'm trying to explain might sound confusing, but really it was quite easy.  He prefers to communicate via text so I'll PM you his number.