Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Doscab sound quality  (Read 2641 times)

juke_321

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2007, 05:06:56 pm
Doscab sound quality
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:56:09 pm »
I'm very happy with DosCab, but I'm not satisfied with the audio quality, it sounds as if the sample rate is 
limited to 22 or 32 kHz. If there is a limitation, can I change this with a setting in one of the .ini files ?
The hardware provides good audio quality in windows and other DOS applications (like DosAmp)

Any thoughts ?

I am running DosCab on a Neoware Thinclient EON4000 (400 MHz GEODE with Natsemi CS5530 chipset).
The OS is Win98 /Dos 7.1 The on-board sound is SB16 compatble (It could be added to the compatibility list!)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Doscab sound quality
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:41 am »
For some SoundBlaster compatibles, the DOS drivers are simply inferior to the Windows drivers.  I've seen chipsets that act like SB16's (16-bit mixer) in Windows but act as SB Pro's (8-bit mixer) in DOS.

Since you say WinAmp runs well, this is probably not the case.  The jukebox should detect the sample rate but it's possible it's getting it wrong.  To force the sample rate, add the following to the end of jukebox.ini:

Code: [Select]
[sound]
digi_card = SB16
quality = 1
sound_freq = 44100

Does that help?

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

juke_321

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2007, 05:06:56 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:51:15 pm »
Chris,

Using this setting improves the quality indeed. I still think the distortion is higher than normal but that could be the harware mixer setting.

Thanks for your reply !

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:23:04 pm »
It probably autodetected as an SB Pro instead of an SB16; the SB Pro is limited to a sample rate of 22727.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com