Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Abomination [the Dual TB / 4P War Machine]  (Read 15120 times)

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
Project: Abomination [the Dual TB / 4P War Machine]
« on: January 11, 2007, 02:53:37 pm »
Welcome to my next nightmare . . .

T h e   A b o m i n a t i o n !

This started out as an idea of what to do with a pile of extra parts I had lying around. The cabinet was scavenged from an audio equipment setup I wasn't using anymore and the plan was to try and build something on the cheep. So far I've actually spent very little ca$h on it. Couple hundred, for the controls, computer and the 2 GP-wiz's, that's it.

Here is an early picture of the cabnet, I was using this to get some ideas on how I wanted to cut the sides and layout the placement for the control panel parts, etc...

Some of you may remember that picture as I used it in this thread...
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=60251.0
asking for some info on a 4 player setup a few months ago. It was as a result of this discussion that I targeted the Simpson's/Turtles cabinets as my basic shape/layout. However as I am working with a used cabnet, I had to adjust for the smaller size and different dimensions, etc...

I knew from what little experience I have gained thusfar in this hobby that having 4 players slamming away at an over hanging CP was going to make for some stability issues. That is why I decided to lower the placement of the monitor, and thus, lower the center of gravity. Just to make it a bit less 'tipsy'.

The main issue then became how to flush mount the bezel and protect the screen Here is a detail shot of the monitor area before cutting:

There was some discussion in this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=60389.0
where I was interested in a flush mounted Plexiglas panel held in place on the sides by t-molding.  I believe it was at this time I acquired the name for this monstrosity, courtesy of Shardian.

So at this point, I knew I wanted to do something like this:

and I set about making some cuts. Both to the cabnet and to some plexi.
I now understand what the woodworking guys meant by the 'snowstorm' in their houses when putting a router to plexi. It's amazing! Plus the stuff it statically charged so you just can't sweep it up, it clings to everything!

Anyway, here is a picture of it's current status:

the piece of plexi in the photo is just a practice piece and it is held in with tape for the photo. I have cut the propper piece but plan to leave the protective covering on it until I'm ready to mount it for good. I am also working on some metal retainers that will screw into the lower edge and keep the plexi panel in place.

I just got in the t-molding & spiner (Thanks RetroActive!) and I hope to have an updated picture very soon.

Also, have to get working on the control panel and I know I will have some questions about that. 

Has anyone here made a 4P setup with 2 trackballs yet?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:00:19 pm by CykoMF »

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Re: Project: Abomination [4 player war machine]
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:21 pm »
My first cab was a bit top heavy.  I put an 80 pound bag of cement in the bottom.  I kept it in the bag, and put it in a plastic lawn bag to keep the dust down.  Much more stable.  For what it's worth...

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:44:17 am »
what would you use 2 trackballs for?   Unless you are running windows 98(i think)   windows will only support one mouse pointer.  Both trackballs will then fight over the pointer making it impossible to use at the same time.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:30 pm »
what would you use 2 trackballs for?   Unless you are running windows 98(i think)   windows will only support one mouse pointer.  Both trackballs will then fight over the pointer making it impossible to use at the same time.

Windows will not like it, but MAME is fine with multiple mice.

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:59 pm »
...what game uses two trackballs?   Multiplayer Centipede?
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

JONTHEBOMB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:08:18 am
  • BOOM!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

Marble Madness

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=M&game_id=8618

I knew from what little experience I have gained thusfar in this hobby that having 4 players slamming away at an over hanging CP was going to make for some stability issues. That is why I decided to lower the placement of the monitor, and thus, lower the center of gravity. Just to make it a bit less 'tipsy'.

That's a clever way of making a cabinet more stable. 

Do you have any ideas on what the artwork will be on the Abomination?

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:44:51 am »
You are correct JTB, Marble Madness it is!
It's not often played I'll admit but most fun when 2 players are battling away at the same time. That is the main purpose of this cabinet, multi-player action. For what it's worth, I've found that some shooters (I.E. Terminator) will let you 'aim' with the trackball, and that opens up the cabnet to a few more games.

As for artwork, I am still deciding what to do. I've got this cool graphic of 3 different colored eyeballs stitched together that is pretty freaky. It's on translucent plastic so I could back light it.  Otherwise I was thinking of working in the dual TB's as eyeballs or something bizarre.  Still open for suggestions.

I was planning to use win98 for the O/S and it wouldn't be a problem if they both operate while in the windows arena. It's more of an issue as to where the hell heck I am going to put all these controls!  I need to be mindful that some games use two joysticks and was planning to put the P3 & P4 8 way sticks on 45' angles to the P1 & P2 sticks, so as to allow them to be used in pairs. This is a new trick for me to figure out and kind of limits the placement options.

I've got the CP cut to size and am experimenting with how to best mount it now. I really need a method that will take a beating and provide adequate support without being too intrusive spacewise.
Any ideas?

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
Re: Project: Abomination [Dual TB / 4P war machine]
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:49:55 pm »
As I mentioned in my other project thread, nothing eats up spare time like starting another cabinet project.

Not too much progress with this one but I have started to fit the control panel into the overall scheme of things. Still trying things and testing for stability. So far I am liking the looks of this setup...

I'm using a couple hardwood boards (anchored inside to the backside of the cabinet) to support the outer 'ledge' of the CP. This really makes for a strong support and helps to use the overall weight of this beast to stabilize itself. 

Of course the trade off is, it's butt ugly to look at!

I'll need to find a way to dress this up a bit, currently thinking of a panel across the front side of the supports and wrapping around the sides. Blend it into the current panels and it should look OK. I still have to allow for the lower part of the control panel, the one that encloses the wires and parts and stuff.

Something else I'm messing around with is the trackball mounting. Actually I stole this idea from somenone else's panel.

By removing the top of the trackball housing and mounting it directly to the wood panel I free up a lot of space underneath and get a slight 'hi-ball' effect. (This really depends on the thickness of the wood panel)
Also, there are no big ass trackball plate hoggin up the real estate, and subsequently, no big holes to cut!

This is a shot of my test piece and it looks like it'll work.

Just not too sure how much hammering they'll take. I know how a drunken Golden Tee sessions can get out of control!  I was thinking of putting a plate under the lower part of the TB housing and mounting that to the underside of the panel, just for strength but not sure if I'd need all that.
Remember, I'm doing 2 trackballs so there is the issue of the dual holes weakening the panel a bit. . .

Does anyone have any advice on using this method to mount trackballs?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:57:32 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
Re: Project: Abomination [the Dual TB / 4P War Machine]
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 04:10:58 pm »
Not much happening on this one.

I did manage to get the control panel secured.
It was a major pain with them C-clamps sticking out all over the place!
Catching you in the junk when you try to skoot around the thing.

It was a trip trying to figure out how to support all that weight, let me tell you! And to keep it balanced with the weight of the monitor.

Think I have it figured out though. Them angular boards (light colored ones) are fastened to the lower rear part of the cabinet. I robbed them from an old futon frame. They are very hard wood and do not flex much at all. I cut 45 degree angles on the ends so they mount flush at each end. Then drilled through em and put screws in. I may glue them someday but not till I button it up for good.

I had to cut away at the front edges of the cabinet and then make some metal brackets to support the weight of the panel. I made sure to leave a slight gap so it wont touch the plexi-glass. Everything is leveled up nicely too. I should have just enough room to mount the two 3" trackballs.

Also, I have a deal in the works to get the joystick bats I need to make each player a different color. Going to have to redesign the controls layout to accommodate the space taken by the angular support boards mounting location. This could be interesting.

Did I mention that I have just started a 3rd project?
They don't call me Cyko for nuttin ya'kno.
Thanks to Drew I am now the proud owner of some kind of old driving cab.
Looking at reworking it into . ? . ? . ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:12:49 pm by CykoMF »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
About your trackball install.  You definitely need some more support for that.  If you are holding it in with screws in the wood, you need more support.  You could drill straight threw the wood, stick in some t-nuts, and bolt in the panel.  Not worry about popping out then.  Just cover the nuts with some wood putty and you are good to go.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:24 am »
Hi Green Giant,
Thanks for the reply!
I was still wondering about the mounting of these trackballs. The T-Nuts idea intrigues me quite a bit.

I was going to fashion one big metal plate to support both TB's from underneath by anchoring to the underside of the panel. I think your idea could be a lot less work.  Care to elaborate on it a bit more?

I wish I could remember who's cabinet/project it was that I saw this mounting scheme used on. I suddenly have lots of questions  for them.  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:59:18 am by CykoMF »

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:29:29 pm »

cabal  :cheers:

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
Its pretty simple with the t-nuts. 

1.  Wherever you had them screwed into, just drill a whole straight through. 

2.  Go pick up some t-nuts at homedepot.  Then use a router to countersink a small whole the size of the t-nut so it will sit level with the rest of the cpanel.  Hammer in the tnuts, and you are ready to install the trackball. 

3.  Just get the right size bolts, use a few washers if need be to make it the correct length, and bolt in the trackballs.  Now you only have to worry about someone hitting the trackball so hard that they smash the wood. 

Used the same method to attach my joysticks to my panel.  It is probably the easiest and cheapest method to attach anything that takes some abuse to a panel.  You have probably seen this on a bunch of panels.  Most people use Happ trackballs and the happ mounting plate, but it is the same theory as using a tnut.  Anyone that wants to hide their install under a nice overlay uses tnuts to mount the joystick.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:24 am »
Thanks for the tip on 'Cabal' Arcadefever, I'll have to hunt that one down one of these days.

I think I'll give the T-nuts a shot oh jolly green one. It sounds like it would bee a lot less hassle if I were ever needing to remove the TB's for cleaning or maintenance or whatever. The steel plate would add bulk and obstruction plus I just know the screw holes in the wood will strip out over time. This will cure a lot of those problems.

Besides, I needed an excuse to return to the hardware store.  ;)

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 07:28:10 am »
T nuts are definitely awesome.  This way you'll only need one hand to remove the bolt, and not one underneath.

hng

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2007, 02:07:23 pm
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »
Hi Green Giant,
Thanks for the reply!
I was still wondering about the mounting of these trackballs. The T-Nuts idea intrigues me quite a bit.

I was going to fashion one big metal plate to support both TB's from underneath by anchoring to the underside of the panel. I think your idea could be a lot less work.  Care to elaborate on it a bit more?

I wish I could remember who's cabinet/project it was that I saw this mounting scheme used on. I suddenly have lots of questions  for them.  :dizzy:

It might have been me (I stole the idea from someone else).

I mounted some carriage bolts from the top of the CP. I countersunk them so they would be flush and allow for a smooth CP overlay. Since I used 3/4 MDF for my CP top, I figured there would be enough material to safely hold everything in place.

I haven't had a chance to use the TB yet (wiring issue... gotta get a new harness), but it seems real sturdy.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 08:17:31 am »
Hi Hng,
You could be right, or maybe we both got it from the same other guy, dunno.

I like that spacer thing you have going on there between the lower surface of the CP and the top of the TB shell. Will definitely be stealing that from you too.
 :cheers:

Did you have any 'issues' with the optical boards moving around at all?

I was going to cut a small groove for them just to ensure they did not move, but didn't know if it was really necessary.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 02:40:05 pm »
Just a small update to report on this one.

I've acquired some foil lined plastic material that used to be a huge sale sign at a local retail store (It's amazing what they will let you have if you just ask)

I plan to use as a CPO. Not sure how the mirror finish will hold up but it's a helluva lot cooler looking than the green woodgrain look. I'm thinking of getting some stickers or other artwork to spice it up a bit but not really sure yet.

Currently cutting out the trackball and button holes so the timing on this piece was just perfect. I'll post some pictures once I get all the pieces put together and put controls into the holes. 

I know I'll draw lots of criticisms for my choice of trackball placement from the purists so stay tuned...

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 08:22:54 am »
Here are a couple pics of this one's progerss.

Here is the control panel with components installed.
(CP purists make your belittling comments now)

The mirror finish has already got a couple minor blemishes. The clear top piece is excellent at trapping dust between the two layers. I will seal them up when I stick everything together.  The edge is sanded down pretty smooth and is very comfortable. The corners near the trackballs may be prone to lifting if someone hits them just right, it's really not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Man, look at that dust already, almost a preminition of whats to come. ha ha.
Angle of he picture kind of exaggerates the setback of the layers, they are actually almost flush. The latout is about as comfortable as one could manage from the space allowed to work with.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:33:29 pm by _) (V) (-) »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:33:31 am »
I still need to get the CPU going and find a couple USB ball mice to hack up.

Hoping to have the thing playable by the holidays.

Progress on this one has slowed a lot because of the two (new to me) additions to the clubhouse.

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 10:23:17 am »
R-TYPE  :o

Love that game  :D

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 06:58:41 pm »
Not as much progress as I'd liked on this one this winter. Been busy shoveling.
I'll attach a pic of the 4 foot snow drift that 'splains why.

That is my 21 year old son holding my 2 year old niece, standing in the middle of it. The dark post thing on the right side in the foreground is the frame for a yard swing. The top rail is over 6' off the ground. The 'subjects' of the photo are actually standing about 20-30 feet beyond that swing. My son is 6' 3" and to give you some idea of the scale there.

Nevertheless, I did manage to get a PC running and wire up the controls. Both mouse hacks are in and working. Big thanks to Fixumdude for the optic boards, perfect solution man!

Also cut the recessed holes for the credit buttons, I think they turned out pretty cool. Luminated but not distracting and the flush mount prevents accidental triggering. The reflections on the mirrored cp really aren't as distrating as you'd think looking at that photo.

Going to tie up the wiring and close up the panel. Then start working on marquee & speakers. Haven't really settled on a design yet, at this point it's a blank slate. I think it's time to do some playability testing and I'll decide on a theme based on it's personality.
At least till that  :censored: outside melts.

Yeah...   that's the ticket.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:02:21 pm by _) (V) (-) »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 09:09:37 pm »
Winter crawls along and so does my progress.
Big ups to emdkay for the bargin marquee art!
I made it fit without ruining it.

Waiting for the temps to go back up so I can paint them peices.
Still looking for speaker grills.

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 05:27:51 pm »
Spinal Tap in the ol video library eh???   :o
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 03:17:19 pm »
This is turning out nice.  Kudos on using the different colored joysticks and for making this a 4player for tmnt.  Might i suggest GI JOE, Simpsons, Bucky ohare, and xmen for more 4 player games.

edit- i have a space duel (gutted) that i was going to make into a star wars and now im considering making a 4 player out of it like you did.  The only problem i had with the idea a few months back was the size of the monitor wouldnt be as large as the original 4 player cab.  Of course i could just move the monitor shelf down a little (a lot of work) and then i would want two coin doors.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:28:42 pm by SithMaster »
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:08 pm »
This cabinet goes to 11 . . .
;D

SM - I'd say 'go for it' on the 4 player setup if you haven't got one yet.

After a couple of 'test sessions' with everyone pounding away on it, I am pretty happy with the overall layout of the controls. It's 'intimate' without being too severely crowded. The recessed credit buttons are working out pretty cool. Accessable to the individual player without disrupting anyone else during gameplay and no accidental triggering from the beerguts.

X-Men, TMNT & the Simpsons are all currently playable. Thanks for the tips on them other titles. I'm amazed to be able to play head to head Marble Madness again too.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 03:53:05 am »
I love the cabinet, I also love the machine in the background. Luckily you posted the high rez so I could get a good look at it. Why the awesome title for your arcade, and you didn't even incorporate that into your art. Why not something like this.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:46 pm »
I love the cabinet, I also love the machine in the background. Luckily you posted the high rez so I could get a good look at it. Why the awesome title for your arcade, and you didn't even incorporate that into your art. Why not something like this.

Aw man, that is really cool! 
Think I will do something like this now that you mention it. Will wait and see what the personality of the machine is once it's about ready.

The original plan was to do this cab 'on the cheep' with used parts and found materials, etc... (kind of a dual meaning to the 'green machine' thing ) 
Yeah, that's the ticket. See? I'm helping the environment.

I scored that artwork for a bargin price, but could still use it to liven up the other machine. Been thinking about reworking the monitor area on that one someday anyway.
Thanks Upright, I needed another project!  :cheers:

If you would like to see more pics of the other cabinet, check the link in my sig for the project thread on that one. Andthanks again for the awesome graphic!

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »
It's not dead, it just smells funny.  :lol

I've made a little progress on this one but have had a ga-zillion other things in the way.
Good news is it survived the floods we'd had here this past summer.
Got dust blown off and the speaker panel & grills mounted up.
Will try to get a new picture posted soon.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:01 pm »
Here is the updated picture.

Seems my progress seriously stalls once it becomes playable and needs 'testing'
I've been painting and mounting some of the front panels. Still working on the open part under the CP.
Looking for a way to stash a keyboard and USB port there so I won't have to open the back panels, once I get them mounted.

Notice the nice gouge on the front right part of the CP? From a collision with one of the jukes. That'll have to be repaired.
The credit buttons aren't lighting up either for some reason. Probably the powersupply wires coming loose from all the moving around. Hope to get back into this over the winter. Tidy up the wiring, mount the speakers and start closing up the back panels.
Also plan to put in a recessed panel with power switch and volume control on the left side. Might put the USB port there as well to make transferring files easier. Hope it's not another year before I can update this thread again.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 05:59:51 pm »
Haven't done much to finish this one. Funny how once they become playable progress grinds to a halt.

I did replace the CRT with a LCD flat panel, sure made a difference in the overall weight.
Cleaned out the PC, had the credit button lights working again. They have been a continual source of trouble actually.
Suspect it's the heat. Been thinking of putting in LED bulbs to cure that.