Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin Box for X-Arcade (Dupl.)  (Read 3538 times)

ChrisNightingale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2003, 09:29:37 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
    • Chris Nightingale Home Page
Coin Box for X-Arcade (Dupl.)
« on: April 01, 2003, 02:58:10 pm »
Hi there everyone,

I just wanted to share with the world, a couple of little coin box projects I have been working on.  They can be connected to the X-Arcade controller and used to activate credits using coinage (and they act as a cool money box!!)

See for yourself:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/arcades/coinboxmainpage.htm

(Note: This is a duplicate message of one placed in the main category - sorry about that didn't notice this category before)

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 05:57:51 pm
Re:Coin Box for X-Arcade (Dupl.)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 09:13:39 pm »
That's a pretty novel idea Chirs.
Are you saving your change to buy more toys or are you trying to cure your arcade vice (swear jar reference)?
Anyway, it's neat all the same!
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

ChrisNightingale

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 03:05:22 am »
Thanks for the responce.  Yeap it is kinda novel only in that it's just slightly over the top, but what the heck.

They actually turned out better than I expected cos I'm not much good at DIY.  And even better they actually work!!

As for what I use it for, well I would love to think that I was saving for a Jamma cabinet but sadly I don't have the room.

So this will do for now.  And if I need more money I just up the charge on the coin box!!!  Hehehe!!

Nyrine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2003, 02:43:06 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 07:17:58 am »
Chris,

How does the CCU communicate with Mame ?

If you put a

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 08:01:41 am »
Would love to know that, too - does the coinacceptor just sends a triggered signal, e.g. it simulates 5 short switchings when you insert 1 Pound?

ChrisNightingale

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 09:35:53 am »
Hi there Nyrine and Carsten,

The Credit Control Unit has a set of dip switches which determine how many pulses to send to the credit pins depending on what coins were inserted.  In the case of the
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 09:37:06 am by ChrisNightingale »

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 11:56:44 am »
So its basically like pressing the "insert coin" button 5 times just like you said Carsten.  If you want any more help let me know.  I might update the site if it's unclear then

Really cool, Chris Nightingale! I'm wondering for months if it would work this way - I've just a normal coindoor with two slots, and no native support for higher coin-values. Guess I've to design a triggering-circuit for this, just need to figure out how.  :)

ChrisNightingale

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 01:45:50 pm »
Yeap it's pretty easy.  Ok so the electronics part of it is a little more tricky but the basic end result is a credit circuit which is closed momentarily to activate a credit.

I take it you probably have the good old Happs Controls double coin door which has the single coin mechs.

Well if you are ever after electronic ones, EBay is the place to go.

As for generating more than one credit for a single coin - if a mech can't be used, a lot of the games have dip switch settings which allow a single coin to generate multiple credits and vis versa.

:)

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 02:02:08 pm »
I take it you probably have the good old Happs Controls double coin door which has the single coin mechs.

Sure, as I like the golden age!  :D Don't know if it is from Happ or another manufacturer, at least the coindoor I got is damn old  ;)
I'll have to find out how I get this baby to accept Euro-coins, it still stands on 1DM and 5DM.

Already found someone that had done this before, so it's just a question of time to fix this. And somehow I'll find a circuit to build the 5-times-trigger myself.  :)

ChrisNightingale

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 03:49:38 pm »
Well depending on how old the coin door is, most of the modern mechs are a standard size and one can be taken out and another one put in.

As for the multi-credit trigger, I'm afraid I know very little about electronics but if you can make a circuit that can accept a single pulse and then get it to transmit several pulses as a result then that is all that's needed.

BTW: I looked at your web page and the cabinet looks ace.  Very professional.  One day I will have something like that!!

Bye for now,

Chris

:)