Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What controls should I buy?  (Read 2789 times)

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
What controls should I buy?
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:24:22 am »
Before I drive myself loopy with the all important, "What controls should I buy", I thought I'd ask. I know it's easier said than done due to preferences, feel, etc, etc, but I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth anyways.

I'm considering

4 - Ultimarc Ultrastiks or 2 Ultrasticks and 2 cheaper ones such as the Mag-Stik Plus.
1 - I-Pac4
1 - Either the Slikstik Tornado, Ultimarc Spintrak or GGG Turbotwist 2 (I'm leaning towards the TT2 with the cool token knob)
1 - Happ Trackball or the GGG Electric Ice-T

30 odd buttons from who though since quality matters but I see a rather large difference in price from vendor to vendor.

All opinions and or criticisms welcome. Thanks
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

Bobbler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2016, 11:33:30 am
Re: What controls should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:59:17 am »
One thing I would say about buttons is that cheaper ones can feel pretty decent with the right microswitch in there.
I got quite a selection of Cherry Reds, Cherry Blues, Xarcade and some Swiss things with my cabinet in the spare parts bag. Replaced the ones in my cheaper IL buttons with the Cherry Red switches and they feel much nicer now IMO. Tried the blues but they where a little too stiff and clicky feeling for my liking, the Swiss microswitches where by far the best feeling but there was not enough for all my player buttons.

Sticks I think you are right, its very subjective and depends what you like the feel of. My personal preference so far from what I have tested is the pretty cheap Boalin joysticks but with a little modification to the spring (basically stretch it out a bit) and they feel good to me now, just how I like them.

Spinners - I dont know really, only got the TT2 to go on which feels nice enough but wish I had gone for a different knob on top now :(

divemaster127

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2018, 08:05:08 pm
  • My webstore is arcadeemulator.net
    • arcadeemulator.net
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:01:14 pm »
If you stay with happ, ultimarc.com parts or Randys parts any of these are good, stay away from the chinese parts, xarcade etc.
dm
I carry both ultimarc & happ items, all brand new & I ship from the united states. My online store is ARCADEEMULATOR.NET, pm if I can help in anyway.

subcriminal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 12:58:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 02:55:50 pm »
Choosing joysticks is a chore. If you are mounting them in such a way that you wont be able to remove them later make sure you know what you're buying. I went with the T-Stick plus originally but didn't get on with them, neither did anyone else who used my cab. It was enough to remove the entire control panel and make a new one :( Saying that some people prefer the way they feel. I also replaced all the blue Cherry microswitches with red ones as the blues didn't click until the very bottom of the button press. The red ones I got click higher.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:12:27 pm »
I'd say more of a pain in the... Seriously though, they can make or break your design and severely impede enjoyment of play. The reason I'm leaning towards the Ultastiks is to ovoid going frankenpanel again. I'd argue and call it the swiss army knife of panels if set up correctly but I digress.

tommy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:54:09 pm »
I'd make my CP setup for the games i really want to play, nothing looks worse to me then i giant "play it all" CP cluttered together.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:31:21 am »
I would keep all your joysticks similar.

The magstick+ have a total different feel than the ultrasticks.

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:48:56 am »
4 - Ultimarc Ultrastiks or 2 Ultrasticks and 2 cheaper ones such as the Mag-Stik Plus.
1 - I-Pac4
1 - Either the Slikstik Tornado, Ultimarc Spintrak or GGG Turbotwist 2 (I'm leaning towards the TT2 with the cool token knob)

Choose between SpinTrak and TT2. I think TT2 can be better (I didn't test).

Buttons from Ultimarc only.

OptiPAC too?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:51:38 am by destructor »

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:10 am »
Do I really need an Optipac if I'm getting a usb trackball and spinner? Also, what was your reasoning destructor for not going with the 4 Ultastiks as per leapinlew suggestion to keep them similar?

So far
TT2 and nice knob
Ultimarcs buttons and IPac4
4 Ultrastiks (still pending more research and suggestions)

What about the Happ Trackball or the GGG Electric Ice-T?

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 12:16:44 pm »
Do I really need an Optipac if I'm getting a usb trackball and spinner? Also, what was your reasoning destructor for not going with the 4 Ultastiks as per leapinlew suggestion to keep them similar?

So far
TT2 and nice knob

My thinking is you will want to play some dual joystick games (Smash TV, Karate Champ vs, Timber, or Total Carnage) - using the same stick will feel better if both sticks behave the same.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 12:48:59 pm »

So far
TT2 and nice knob

1. If you buy ultra stiks and something else...you will probably hate the fact that you bought the something else.

2. 4 ultra stiks DO IT!! No wiring harnesses. Restrictors & Springs yes!

3. How many buttons total? You might save a few bucks on your ipac if you only have say...32 inputs you could do the Ipac VE. 1/2 price I think. Then hook a few of your buttons to your...

4. Electric Ice Trackball

5. How could you not get the TT2 right now?

Goog luck man I know this one has been on the burner for awhile. Pull the trigger (+_+). I wanna see ya get er done!

Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 04:02:29 pm »
UltraStik are excellent, yes. But for some games Mag-Stik can be better (old 4-way). Best if you test it. You can buy 4 UltraStiks and one MagStik for test. But:
1. If you will mount 4 UltraSticks only then for buttons I-PAC isn't required, you can connect buttons to U360 PCB.
2. If you will mount MagStik - I-PAC will be required.

You must know:
1. Do you will use your panel for 4 players or not? Maybe you think about 4 players but maybe you never use it and will play max on 2 players. If 2 players only then 2 U360 and 2 MagSticks will be better.
2. The same about 2-joy games for 2 players.

Simple: if you will never or sometimes only use 3 or 4 joysticks at once then better buy 2 UltraSticks and 2 MagSticks. If you will offten use 3 or 4 at once better buy 4 UltraSticks.
Throw in MagSticks is smaller than U360 and I don't know but maybe for you for old 4-way games it will be better.

About I-PAC if you decide for 4 U360: I-PAC will be useless because for coin, start, etc. you can connect combinations of inputs from U360s. Example: coin1 = P1 button6+P2 button 6, ....
Otherwise if you will have problem with it you can buy I-PAC.

OptiPac: if you will buy USB Spinner then OptiPac is useless.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 04:13:35 pm »
AGREE with 99% of that destructor EXCEPT...even if you do 4 ultra stiks you MIGHT still want the IPAC for the SHIFT key. Maybe you could get a keywiz from Randy too and he has the Shazam key which is the same. Sounds like you will be ordering form both...Like i did. Best of Both worlds man...

Yea, I just like to have a shift key...For me it means less overall buttons for uncluttered CP!
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 12:38:16 am »
If you use even two Ultrastiks, then you probably don't need an Ipac4, an Ipac2 or similar will suffice.