Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just wanted to show everyone my last three projects  (Read 3302 times)

Zeitgeist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 05:57:51 pm
Just wanted to show everyone my last three projects
« on: March 30, 2003, 08:56:37 pm »
I don't have a functioning website at this time, probably won't for a while to come with my current work pace.
So, I figured that this would be the place to show off my three  latest projects.
One's a keyboard hack, & the other two are both gamepad hacks (gravis gamepad & GP Pro USB).
The small one may be my favorite - it uses a leaf switch stick & buttons - reminds me of the good old days.
For the keyboard pcb hack, I keep a home built keyboard splitter on my PC at all times so I just plug the 2 player control panel KB lead into the splitter when I wish to use it.
I've carefully selected the button inputs to eliminate key ghosting/blocking for all but the #6 fire button on the player 2 side.
I have a USB hub, Gameport 15 pin extension & PS2 extension all under my monitor for quick plug-ins.
Some of my other projects based on conversion of original arcade control panels have been showcased on Noel's site at:
http://mamecheats.fateback.com/best.htm
The TRON panel that he refers to is still "in-work".
It's fully functional but I need to build the base for it & swap or modify the trigger stick (has an 8way Zaxxon stick instead of a 4way TRON one).
Anyway here are the latest 3 creations humbly submitted for your approval.
They are shown here hanging from the wall beside one of my desks - this keeps them out of my wife's way & keeps me out of trouble ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 08:59:00 pm by Zeitgeist »
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
Re:Just wanted to show everyone my last three projects
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 10:39:56 am »
Holy shiney buttons Batman!!

All very clean and slick, good job.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 10:41:41 pm »
They are a bit too shiny aren't they?
Thanks for the compliment & sorry about the crappy pic.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 11:15:50 am »
Really cool!
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 02:01:52 pm »
very cool... how are you storing them? or am I confused about the perspective of the picture.....?

It looks like they are hanging on the wall somehow.

Rampy

marcoval

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2004, 02:40:59 pm
  • www.scottishninjas.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 04:11:54 pm »
I normally hate all black buttons, usually a sign of a lack of originality, but this is nice, clean and looks good.  
Every millennium
A warrior emerges.
Trained in the deadly arts of the ninja.
Moving with the swiftness of the wind
Striking with deadly accuracy
They are proud
They are strong
They're Scottish

ChrisNightingale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2003, 09:29:37 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
    • Chris Nightingale Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 05:11:24 pm »
Hey, those controllers look great.

I like the small one with the mirrored graphics.  I suppose it's useful for left/right handed players.

The silver one (that is silver isn't it!?!) looks very professional just like the X-Arcade (which I have and love)

Good work matey....

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 09:09:10 pm »
Thanks

Rampy:
Yes they are hanging from the wall by some pretty sturdy (I hope) hooks.
This keeps my wife happy because they are out of her way.
Our home office is very crowded with all of the computers, spare parts, control panels (7 in all), gadgets, junk, etc...

Marcoval:
Thanks, I was originally planning to use a plexi & graphics in order to add a little color to this control panel but once I saw the black buttons against the white MDF, I kinda liked it.

Chris:
That's the very reason for the mirrored graphics on the small one - it uses an old gravis gamepad so with the flip of a switch it converts from right to left hand.
The one that looks silver is actually black; I probably should not have used a flash when I took the picture.
As you guessed, it was inspired by the X-Arcade - the top is made from a 5/8" black coated MDF shelf board cut to size & trimmed with T-molding.

I do appreciate the kind words
Z ;)